I guess, we are a little strange in that the only rules we have are what we will and won't do with others, but because of our individual comfort levels and not that we feel it will 'hurt' our relationship.

Examples: My wife is not ready for anal play. Even with me it is still in it's infancy. So our rule is 'the back door is closed' for her. My rule is that my tongue stay firmly attached to me, so one of the ladies I played with in the past will not be getting repeat business as she tried to suck my tongue from my head with her mouth. Pain + me = no play. :eek:

If my wife or I are comfortable with a playmate, then we can play... that simple. (generally most applicable at a house party or club) When we have 'play dates' we usually already know the couple or pair we are getting together with. When we are meeting a couple only for the first time, then we do so for either dinner or through mutual swing friends at a kind of mini party so we can get to know them. Only then do we decide to play or not.

There will be situations come up where one of your rules will seem... well, silly and you will want to throw it away... make that decision BEFORE play starts. As someone else said, only change the rules away from play with your spouse/partner.

The advice about the play bag is complete gold... follow it!!! :D Ours contains condoms for me, lube for us both, a robe for each of us, some sexy lingerie for her and our 'play cards' (business cards for our playmates).

Guest warrencouple

Trying to get too much done on a club day.

Things like:

1. Kids B-Day party 4pm-6pm at Jeepers (think Chuck E Cheese with more young kid stuff)

2. Run niece / nephew home

3. Run Mother-in-Law home

4. Go to club (canceled due to forgetting kids b-day parties NEVER end on time)

Even worse when it's going to be your "maiden voyage" at a club (first time, joining that night)

Been here, done this, didn't get a t-shirt though.

Jason

PS The evening still went well, even if we didn't go to the club!

Losing your wife at a club only to find her in a teaming mass of female flesh with her as the target. Not really a bad mistake but that could have ended badly! In her defence, she did ask the gathering crowd to "GO GET MY HUSBAND!"

It ended wonderfully! And the night was quite young so all went QUITE well!

Trying to get too much done on a club day.

Things like:

1. Kids B-Day party 4pm-6pm at Jeepers (think Chuck E Cheese with more young kid stuff)

2. Run niece / nephew home

3. Run Mother-in-Law home

4. Go to club (canceled due to forgetting kids b-day parties NEVER end on time)

Even worse when it's going to be your "maiden voyage" at a club (first time, joining that night)

Been here, done this, didn't get a t-shirt though.

Jason

PS The evening still went well, even if we didn't go to the club!

I think that one is pretty common, even for non-newbies. I know it's happened to us a time or two. The social starts at 7 and we are leaving the house at 6 and still need to get dinner AND the social is 45 minutes away (in good traffic and with no dinner stop). We ended up getting dinner then deciding to just go on home.

Thinking "if we build a profile, they will find us". Umm, no. And we're still working on overcoming the shyness to make initial contact more often. And in the beginning, when we did contact other couples, we made the mistake of having a very impersonal opening email. Also working on this area.

I guess everyone has reasons for wanting to keep their secrecy. I live in a city, and while it is no where near the size of New York or other large American cities, you would be surprise how many people you run into on a daily basis. My husand grew up here and I think he knows everyone ( I tease him that he is like the mayor waving to his people :rolleyes: ). I have a child that I want to protect, and my employers are very religious people and have no doubt they would not approve or understand of this lifestyle. THey may not fire me from my job, but it would probably influence how they treated me. In my mind there are just too many chances for disaster for me to give out too much personal information. To each his own I guess.

hang on, just using your first name will let them track down your boss and tell them you swing? that's a bit far fetched... if your husband "knows everyone" then a good chance is that they'd recognise HIM with or without the "fake name". how is using "julie" instead of "maria" going to protect your child???

i understand not giving out addresses, employment history, or banking details, but this sounds a TAD paranoid.

You Lie about your names?!?!?...and i suppose you expect people to have sex with you and be honest about themselves??...hmm.."yea i dont have to tell em about my herpes..after all they lie about their name"....that is a great way to think.....another example of why we are so disgusted with swingers and swinging....... :confused:

if youre so disgusted,why are you on this site????

our first mistake was meeting and playing with a couple that niether of us were really attracted to sexually. We really liked them as people but not as playmates. Our worst mistake was a couple months ago..and nope not a newbie then..lol I have been played by so many men pretending to be single females that when I got an email from a female I went to yahoo to chatt and IT sounded so much like a man I told them...Look prove to me you are female, I am home right now here is my phone number CALL ME! Within a couple days I was getting calls (and my boys were getting calls!) from perverts saying I had promised to do this that or whatever to them in a chatt room. Now these people didnt care when my kids answered the phone and told them I promised to do certain things! I had to change my phone number!! I will never give out my house number again unless I know you and have played more than one time.

We never lie about our names but usually dont give out last names till we know you better. If I find out someone has lied about what their name is ...they get a bubye!!

you gave out your home phone number????? major mistake

Allowing your sex life at home to deteriorate. Getting off on the intense feelings during encounters but not allowing your mate be the benefactor of that increased level of passion. Masturbating in private over recent swing partners/ex-lovers but not having that desire carry over into your bedroom.

Traveling with other couples without your own car for the whole weekend without establishing that you are just friends, not playmates.

Several years ago at a club on the Mississippi Gulf Coast we had our first attempt at swinging. A lonesome looking single guy was alone at the bar. Lady C2S went over and asked him to dance. That simple act of kindness, friendliness on her part got us started in the lifestyle. However it turned into a less than great experience. The rest of the "clique" in the club avoided us like the plague.

Bottom line is take your time and make sure you know and understand the ramifications of becoming the too friendly newbies would be our #1 thing to avoid if you invade a new club. Make sure you are accepted by the group before you hit on one of the available boy toys. :nono:

• Like 1

Traveling with other couples without your own car for the whole weekend without establishing that you are just friends, not playmates.

Or the other way round, you get along great as playmates but an extended time together is not a good idea!

We were nervous as hell the first night we went to a club, and the one we chose was the wildest club we have ever been to, many of the things we saw that night wouldn't even be allowed at most of the clubs we have attended. It didn't overwhelm or intimidate us in the least though, because the people we met were great and made us feel welcome.

As newbies, how do we know what is allowed at a club? and other clubs?

R&C

I have very little experience but one of my mistakes was the wife kept meeting with me afterwards and he didnt like it.... cant do that.... whoops :/

We have made so many mistakes it would take a book to list them all. The key to mistakes is to learn from each of them and use what you learned to make your future experiences better.

I do have to comment on the "clubs being for experienced swingers only" That is so far from the truth, and I say this not as someone who hosts events but as a swinger. I wish we had gone the club route much sooner, it is so much easier to meet "real" people in a club atmosphere than it is on line. The inter web is a much better tool to learn about the do's and dont's and to keep in contact with those you have met at any type of club than it is to meet people.

We also agree that "friends first" can be a mistake that both new and experienced people make. There is nothing wrong with wanting to know a little about those you choose to have sex with but we have found that the people we are closest to in the swinging world are people that we will never feel entirely comfortable having sex with. If you know to much about their day to day lives then it's kinda creepy having sex with them. Inversely if you have chemistry with them, then have sex and if a friendship forms all the better.

We also have come to the conclusion that there are times when taking one for the team is not only OK but we are fine with it. We both know that there are times when one of us is way more attracted to one half of a couple and in order to make that fantasy come true for the person we love more than life itself we have to grin and bear it. I know that we will be flamed for saying this but it's something that we believe, and instead of denying it we have accepted it.

We both agree that having to many rules is a bad thing, you should have some rules to create a comfort zone but having so many that you spend more time making sure that you aren't breaking them instead of having fun that it is no longer fun.

The only rule we have left is that we discuss everything, before and after and sometimes during.

Since this thread is about mistakes I will list a few that we have seen and made.

Not getting others rules before play starts.

drinking to much

Big one for me, Not hydrating enough, now we bring a cooler full of water to our hotel room.

forgetting the play bag, at home or in the car.

not checking to see if your play partner has any allergies IE. latex, peanuts etc...

not starting play time early enough, Mr here has an issue with staying hard after 2 am.

not getting a spare set of sheets/comforter from the hotel before playing.

waiting till late at the party to hook up.

giving the wrong room number to playmates.

Making that pfft pfft sound while trying to get that stray pubic hair out of your mouth.

As party hosts we have a few tips for everyone new and old.

If you say you are going to come to a party and you can't make it let the hosts know.

If a party starts at 8 please be there by 8 not 11, this one bugs the shit out of us, we can't start to have fun until all the guests have arrived.

If you have an issue with something at a party tell the hosts right away so they can deal with it, e-mailing or calling them 2 days later doesn't do any good.

Way back at the beginning of this thread there was a discussion about "club names" as hosts we are accepting of your privacy, but we do request your real names. We do allow you to use "club names" but not to us, we really don't care what you tell others. In fact we know several high profile couples who use "club names" and are fine with that.

Because my swinging career has been EXTREMELY short so far, I know exactly what I did and am doing wrong... I pushed my husband too fast. I now know the first rule is never move faster than the slowest partner. I am not a patient woman but he is a man that will not be rushed... it was worth the wait! =)

why are you signed up on a swingers site if your disgusted by us and the lifestyle?! I smell a hypocrate in denial.

You Lie about your names?!?!?...and i suppose you expect people to have sex with you and be honest about themselves??...hmm.."yea i dont have to tell em about my herpes..after all they lie about their name"....that is a great way to think.....another example of why we are so disgusted with swingers and swinging....... :confused:

Some people chose to keep their personal lives and their swinging lives separate. I dont see anything wrong with that. To each their own. We use pseudonyms online and have contemplated doing so in club environments when we find one to go to only to reveal our true names after we feel comfortable with a person/couple. Does that make us any less real or honest? No. If youre disgusted with swingers and swinging you should try a different message board perhaps? I don't know if you meant what you said to come across differently but it came across that you have a problem with this lifestyle and therefore have no business posting on this forum.

While it is fantastic to get "lost in the moment" you do have to keep an eye on how your partner is doing. If you spend half an hour in pure extacy, banging away with the man/woman of your dreams, only to find your partner has not only spent a miserable half hour with someone he/she is not getting on with you have been a very, very bad puppy.

Just about everything in swinging keeps coming back to communication.

Some people chose to keep their personal lives and their swinging lives separate. I dont see anything wrong with that.

We wouldn't have an issue if someone lied to us about their names but we haven't seen it yet. I tend to think this is more common for people who are new in the lifestyle and still ultra paranoid.

I would be more scared that I ran into that couple in public with vanilla friends and I had to explain to them why they were calling me 'bob' or 'jim' or 'bill' vs. my real name. :lol:

I would be more scared that I ran into that couple in public with vanilla friends and I had to explain to them why they were calling me 'bob' or 'jim' or 'bill' vs. my real name. :lol:

TeeHee... Who can forget Dustin Hoffman walking through the lobby of the hotel with Katherine Ross in The Graduate? :)

Alura

We wouldn't have an issue if someone lied to us about their names but we haven't seen it yet. I tend to think this is more common for people who are new in the lifestyle and still ultra paranoid.

That would definitely be interesting to have to explain to say the least! :lol:

I guess I am paranoid but if my husband weren't in the military I really wouldn't be as much. I just don't want something from our personal lives affecting his career though I hear swinging is quite prevalent in the military community. I don't know how true that is though.

We live close to three air force bases and one navy base...there are quite a few. :lol: Military men are my wife's favorites ;)

I'm a terrible dancer. This could be a problem for sweetie and I at the clubs. Newbie mistake being made right now. Moving faster than the slowest partner. I'm in the 100 yard dash while she's running a marathon. sloowwww down...!!! Thanks for all the great advice.

We not telling you our last name either. And we are not going to lie about our first names. I have a hard enough time remembering the one I already have.

First let me thank everyone who thought this was a good post and took the time to tell me, I really do appreciate it.

I want to expound on the 'friends first' idea since I knew this would be a big one compared to some of the others.

I'll preface this with saying we are a 'friends' type of swinger couple. We want to like the people we swing with as people. I don't care how attractive someone is, if I don't like them as a person they are not a turn on. I'd also state that our best friends right now we met as swingers, for swinging. In short we are not a 'sex only' couple, where I'm trying to force others to accept our views on this.

This being all said, expecting to be friends with a couple you want to swing with BEFORE you are swinging is unrealistic for a lot of reasons.

This really stems from what makes someone a friend. Years ago I read something that said friendship develops from shared experiences. If you just meet someone, you have none of these experiences. So lets say you as a couple go on 'dates' with the other couple. To the ball game, to a movie, to dinner, etc. These are not the kind of things that promote a lasting friendship.

Now add to this, the underlying tension of swinging. No one just turns that off. You are all thinking about the possibility of screwing each other. No one wants to bring it up as you are becoming 'friends' but its there. This makes things awkward to say the least. Its couples dating where the guy is trying to keep the new girl interested while at the same time be friends with her husband, with the underlying tension of you both know you want to nail his wife. No one will let their guard down, everyone is afraid of saying something thats a turn off, and the bbq you are having together is not something thats going to create a real friendship in the first place.

It just doesn't work out very well for most people.

As such, if we feel we COULD be friends with a couple, we will fuck in the first date ;)

Its simply not realistic to be real friends first, and we can size up a couple pretty quickly. The longer you wait to drag things out, the less likely they will come about in swinging.

Now for the real bad news.

For us at least, swinging alone doesn't equate to friendship. It is a shared activity, but it doesn't seem to be the type that creates the bond of friendship. We have tried to 'be friends' and the like after and it doesn't seem to click. Our one pair of good swinging friends became friends not because we were having sex with each others spouse, but because the husbands (he and I) shared a hobby we started to do together. This let us talk more about the swinging to know what each of us wanted out of it, blah blah, and we became 'real' friends who go to family parties and the like.

At best from what I've seen, most people don't have more than a handful of true friends out of swinging. I don't mean people who's company you enjoy, but people who would help you move a couch type of friends.

I assume the motivation for 'friends first' is not because of a need for friends but as a way to make swinging feel 'less dirty' to the newbie couple. Swinging IS about sex, there is no way to sugar coat that, its not a cuddle party, its not wine tasting, its straight up sex. You can soft it down all you want, and we too started as soft swing (lasted 2 meetings) but its sex, no matter what a former president says. Its not dirty or wrong in our books, and doing it with what is effectively a stranger isn't a whole lot different than doing it with your best friend.

Until you are ready for that kind of thinking, you will find yourself frustrated in swinging. I've seen couples like this, chatted with them, gone out to dinner with them, but never once had sex with any of them. They are afraid to get certified on Swing Lifestyle, they have a long list of rules posted in their profiles, they are 'real' as couples, but they are not swingers, and most likely never will be until they are able to accept the sex part without feeling guilty about it.

You wrote exactly what I've come to conclude about being "friends first." We're newbies and had that on our profile...seeking friends first but the more I thought about it as well as the logistics, it just didn't make sense. Thank you so much for writing it out so well!

Guest az40scpl

OK, I (we) are not very active here, we dont think of ourselves as newbies, but then again we arent "old salts" either.

A little background will explain our mistakes AND the good that came of them.

I was involved in some "wife swapping while in the military and gained a fair amount of experience with fun fucking while stationed in various countries in the far east. When I met my wife, my first marriage was ending and Mrs. az40s was young and inexperienced in sex and life in general, very sheltered, uptight, narrow minded and lots of social and religious hang ups (she didnt have baggage...more like steamer trunks!). Fast forward thru a lot of relationship ups and downs, we married, had kids then she admits to a fantasy of having an MFM, I supported her, she (here is mistake #1) ambushes and seduces a married male vanilla friend in front of me while his wife is out of town and unaware. We enjoyed ourselves despite him not being able to perform.

Several months later she (mistake #1 again) ambushes and seduces another married male vanilla friend, he performed but couldnt cum, during our 2nd MFM she did a few things that evoked hurt feeling, suspicion and jealousy in me, she invited him to fuck her, gave him head after pulling out of her pussy and since I had already cum, she turned her back to me while sucking him, leaving me feeling left out and unwanted.

It took several months and almost separating, before we actually discussed what happened and why (mistake #2), and altho we hashed everything out and agreed that we couldnt continue preying on our male vanilla friends we actually stopped playing with others altogether for several years.

After a medical scare for me, (yes, I'm fine, thanks for asking, LOL) we decided to not waste any more time together, put a bit more focus on us as a couple and less on the jobs, bills, etc. and we joined a swinger site.

My job tends to play havoc with our personal/social time but we did some networking, got thru our first "no show", met another nice couple, he turned out to be somewhat pushy and controlling "you have to make opportunities to score" and we finally went to their house for our 3rd meeting, got saddled with an "unexpected" visit from a 3rd couple who just wouldnt leave, and the Male sort of ambushed Mrs. az40s on her way back from the bathroom, threw a liplock on her and herded her towards the bedroom, he came out and disappointedly told me the Mrs. wanted me, I went inside with him, and we wound up in an MFM while his wife chatted with the other couple.

We enjoyed the MFM, went back outside and we all did some nude swimming. After leaving Mrs. az40s informed me that the guy was pushy and rough, and despite enjoying the MFM overall, she felt had to allow him to take her (mistake #3 and 4) but had to tell him 3 times to come get me before he complied.

What we took from all this, we have no rules until we find out what we object to, this because we see a lot of profiles that are just too specific and narrow, Mrs. az40s now understands that she can and should say NO to anything, anytime, for any reason, we obviously discuss everything and anything before, during and after, no taking one for the team, since the couple now has informed us thay are taking a hiatus from the lifestyle, we are not putting all our orgasms in one basket anymore and the biggie is, no more ambushing/recruiting vanilla friends or married males!

We have learned other things from these experiences and are still learning more about the lifestyle and ourselves all the time.

Nothing major but two funny things on our profile.

1) I put as our title "Hot Latina Wife looking for cocks" Or something like that. One it brought out a ton of SMs... two I later learned a "hotwaife" means a more than just HOT. lol

2) We put searching for " bi sexual couple" Didn't realize it was guy too... nothing happened but it brought up a few questions from others.

Did this happen to you and your wife? We're very new and this is one of my biggest fears

Did this happen to you and your wife? We're very new and this is one of my biggest fears

Tkg, if you select the post you're questioning and hit "Reply With Quote," it will show the message you're responding to. At the moment, nobody can answer the question, because we don't know which scenario frightens you.

Our big newbie mistake was bending our rules. Our first couple was very experienced ~ and pretty much intimidated me (wife) into allowing the other hubby to participate. At that time i had never even considered ~ was extremely clear that we only wanted to play with the wife. But as the night went on ~ and the party got going I lost my inhibitions ~ and they actually cornered me and took advantage of my intoxication ~ mislead me into believing MY HUBBY told them to go ahead & play while he cooked

It was BAD ~

But seduction isn’t making someone do what they don’t want to do. Seduction is enticing someone into doing what they secretly want to do already. (Waiter Rant)

Our big newbie mistake was bending our rules. Our first couple was very experienced ~ and pretty much intimidated me (wife) into allowing the other hubby to participate. At that time i had never even considered ~ was extremely clear that we only wanted to play with the wife. But as the night went on ~ and the party got going I lost my inhibitions ~ and they actually cornered me and took advantage of my intoxication ~ mislead me into believing MY HUBBY told them to go ahead & play while he cooked

It was BAD ~

Very similar situation with us. Our first encounter was supposed to be the couples having sex next to each other with our own partners and the girls playing. However, anytime I went in to get us drinks the couple, including the male, was all over Nurse and would quit when I returned. At some point he chose to take advantage of our intoxication. I thought she had given him permission, she thought I told him to go ahead. That was not a good situation. However, with excellent communications and discussing everything the next day, we f**ked like rabbits for the rest of the weekend. LOL! We now discuss how things will be prior to meeting and watch our alcohol intake. ~Captain

Tkg, if you select the post you're questioning and hit "Reply With Quote," it will show the message you're responding to. At the moment, nobody can answer the question, because we don't know which scenario frightens you.

Oh ok thanks

I just joined this website today and read every post from this thread. Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

This thread is amazing! Now, I just need to get my BF to read it. It's disheartening to hear that girl play and then sex with our own partner doesn't go well. That is exactly the scenario I think I would be comfortable with. :-(

This thread is amazing! Now, I just need to get my BF to read it. It's disheartening to hear that girl play and then sex with our own partner doesn't go well. That is exactly the scenario I think I would be comfortable with. :-(

It can go very well - and does for a lot of couples. For best results, don't mix alcohol and swinging. ;)

Damn, I had a bottle of Jack all set to go. ;) Jk, but it's still good advice. Much appreciated. :) I think if I follow you around this sight I'm going to learn a lot.

Great topic! The major faux par that tripped me up the first time was getting too carried away with a particular person. I (Mrs Sensual) found a male of a couple who was not only a great conversationalist, but also helped pave my way through the tonnes of messages/flirts we received when we entered the online community. His wife was on a break (first red flag) and then as time went by, the conversation shift turned from him addressing his messages to hubby and I, to just me (second red flag). Then hubby and I both met him while his wife was unaware (third screaming red flag) and then I actually considered seriously having alone play with him because we connected and I was physically attracted to him (4th red flag...it's getting hot in here). Well, I am no longer in contact with him and no I did not play with him. But nevertheless, I was a complete idiot and I was deeply sorry for making hubby feel like crap because of my actions (and my cheeks are glowing red with embarrassment and shame even as I recount this memory). Needless to say, lesson learned and no one has come that close again to effectively challenge and make me break my own rules, let alone break our rules as a couple. We started this whole journey together and that's the way it will stay...though I lost track of that in the early days, I know better now! :-)

Well, that has been the best two sleepless nights of reading I have ever done. (She, for the parts she stayed awake for) and I learned so much (and laughed so much) from the great experiences posted here over what seems to have been many years. To think we could waltz in here with barely any experience at all and leave feeling like we just graduated from basic training. Amazing!

For those still here and those who are not, thank you so much for all of your sharing. We look forward to the days when we will have such useful advice to pass on to those who follow.

And the Visual-Of-The-Day award goes to...

Making that pfft pfft sound while trying to get that stray pubic hair out of your mouth.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What are these pubic hairs you speak of?

Well, see, I was watching this Nat-Geo documentary about sex in the 70's and... :D

This is a very informative topic, thanks to everyone posting!! :)

I haven't started swinging yet but I have the basics: No means no, don't feel pressured into doing something you don't want to do, go sober, have a safety word (my favorite is Gumdrop), take it slow, etc.

We're new to this site and just talking about swinging now. Thanks to all for sharing these fantastic tips!

We're new to this site and just talking about swinging now. Thanks to all for sharing these fantastic tips!

Stick around!! There's a lot to learn here:) Welcome BTW

Hi. We're very new to this, and I was just curious...why we're the separate rooms a mistake? I'm not at a place, yet, where I'm 100% comfortable seeing my man with another woman. I would think separate rooms would be a good starting point.

We haven't started yet..read about everything.

2questions:

is shaving for men a requirement?

condoms, wife hates them as do I, I know about STDs..but I have also read that swingers don't seem to them

2questions:

Requirement no, but nothing is required. Normal, yes.

condoms, wife hates them as do I, I know about STDs..but I have also read that swingers don't seem to them

SOME swingers will play without condoms, we are not those swingers.

No condoms is a no go for us. It may be very difficult to find play partners willing to go bareback.

2questions:

Fewer men shave than women, but trimming is a nice courtesy. I've also read that swingers don't seem to have STIs, but it's never based on any sort of research, just a combination of wishful thinking and poor observation. Of course swingers have them, probably in roughly the same proportions as the general population, maybe a little less since responsible swingers test regularly and often, but I wouldn't count on it.