lcmim

Seniors or Soon To Be Seniors a GOOD ARTICLE

We registered but pay no fees. It has been thus for years .

I remember this NY Times piece from when it first ran a couple of years ago. It was excellent then and on re-reading I found it even more so now.

Two observations. First, the original story was heavily illustrated with photos of discretely nude elderly couples embracing. As I’ve noted in at least one past post here, four years ago I photographed for ASN, the online swinger magazine, a sex party of mostly people in their lsteb50s through early 80s. I’m very used to seeing old people in sexual situations. Still, I found the photos in the article a bit unsettling.

Second, and completely incidentally, a couple of days ago in a post I mentioned being siightly acquainted with Tex Williams, in the early 1970s the first person to market vibrators explicitly for sexual use. This passage is included in the Times piece under discussion in this thread:

"In the late 1970s, he read a magazine article about a “girl’s best friend,” a vibrator called a Prelude. He bought one for Anne…It didn’t go so well at first: For Anne, it was a reminder of what she saw as her own deficiency. She imagined that other women orgasmed more quickly, while she needed mechanical intervention. But David encouraged her to try the vibrator on her own, and they began occasionally using it during sex."

16 hours ago, PeterJ said:

I’m very used to seeing old people in sexual situations. Still, I found the photos in the article a bit unsettling.

As swingers in our 50s we have seen and been with plenty of senior swingers and we have to agree that the photos in that article were unflattering!

Still, it brought up many good points about how to change what sex is to be a better fit with a 'old age'. But it didn't touch upon what those of us in this forum do in terms of involving other players - which I think is a great way to keep things hot and fresh 😀 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, PeterJ said:

the original story was heavily illustrated with photos of discretely nude elderly couples embracing. As I’ve noted in at least one past post here, four years ago I photographed for ASN, the online swinger magazine, a sex party of mostly people in their lsteb50s through early 80s. I’m very used to seeing old people in sexual situations. Still, I found the photos in the article a bit unsettling.

The photographer, Marilyn Minter, published a coffee-table book with an extended set of photos from the same sessions.  See https://www.amazon.com/Marilyn-Minter-Elder-Sex/dp/2365680712

It played to generally favorable reviews, see for example https://www.cnn.com/style/article/marilyn-minter-artist-elder-sex/index.html

Passion has no expiration date; the (unsettling) question is whether it has a "best by" date. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hunterdonNJcpl said:

" But it didn't touch upon what those of us in this forum do in terms of involving other players - which I think is a great way to keep things hot and fresh 😀 "

You are right about that.

The thing that caused me to post it here is that, my wife sent it to me  in the context of our own marriage. It was meant in a "See we are doing pretty good, my dear" sort of way.

The quality of play with others often reflects the state of our own play between just us. This varies from absolutely brilliant to "Maintenance" sex. ( I don't care what is on the schedule. It has been a week. Shut off the computer, TV ,phones, and come to bed.)Getting distracted is an easy pattern to fall into.

As we age the  inexorable decline in all body functions can be a bit depressing. I was just in such a situation and she used the article as a pick-me-up.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fundamental Law said:

The photographer, Marilyn Minter, published a coffee-table book with an extended set of photos from the same sessions.  See https://www.amazon.com/Marilyn-Minter-Elder-Sex/dp/2365680712

It played to generally favorable reviews, see for example https://www.cnn.com/style/article/marilyn-minter-artist-elder-sex/index.html

Passion has no expiration date; the (unsettling) question is whether it has a "best by" date. 

I’ve mentioned in this forum several times that at a party a decade ago when I was in my mid-60s I played with a couple who were in their mid-80s (and had been swingers since the late 1940s, before the term existed). They were so wrinkled! It was a bit shocking as I began to engage with them. But as things progressed that feeling fell away; I was just into sharing pleasure with this lovely couple and they looked fine. (For me it’s the personality and the sex that counts; "looks" are decidedly peripheral.

• Like 3

FUN to READ what those above have written about this!

Downloaded to NYT article to PDF (like to print, and read with "no batteries required".....sorry, "old school" ...probably like most of you!