We're planning on installing a hot tub/spa this summer. Given the temperature extremes here (-30C to +30C), we would appreciate any suggestions. Heating in the winter would cost a small fortune but we would like the tub to be open to the elements as much as possible without going broke. Don't you just love contradictions?

We recommend doing what you are doing now, and that's research before you buy. I worked at a place and sold hot tubs for a while so it was obvious what I was going to buy. But I felt that they had a number of features that put it in front of the rest.

One feature that helps keep the cost down is the titanium heating element it uses to keep the water up to temperature. Because it is made out of titanium the element won't rust when it is in water therefore the water can come in contact with the element transferring more heat. Other models have a sleeve on the element preventing this.

Another one we felt was important was having a fully insulated tub. What this means is under the tub is an all foam insulation which hold in the heat. It also includes a soft cover which sits on the water to keep heat from escaping from the top and a hard cover as a final measure.

These items keep our costs down to about 11-15 dollars per month which we feel is reasonable. Hope this helps.

Hot tube sex would be great. I would have to add that into my sex room idea!!

Alura said:
We seldom use our hot tub in the summer, Bunny, but it may be because we keep it too hot. What temperature do you keep your's at?

Bear has informed me that in the summer it is around 90 degrees. When it's 102 outside, 90 is very refreshing. However, we rarely get it above about 98.

Alura said:
Our teens can make a fresh, sparkling tub of water look like the water in the Trinity River in minutes. :rollseyes: One time they were in the tub with some friends. Other friends were on the trampoline. Some were in the pool. They were trading places, running through dirt in between. That practice has been outlawed. :)

There are many teenage practices that should be outlawed. Now that we make her clean the hot tub after one of her gatherings, I doubt it will every get as funky as it did the last time.

Does any one else have trouble having sex in hot tubs? For foreplay it's great. We finally found a lube, Wet Platinum, that works for actually intercourse, but I tend to float away or we're just too slipper to get a good hold on each other. Suggestions?

We have looked around and have pretty well decided on a Beachcomber spa. The motor/pump are separate from the tub allowing for incredible insulation and considering our weather extremes......... Mind you, they certainly aren't the cheapest. The tub itself will cost around $14,000.00 (7-8 people) and the folks at the showroom say that the monthly costs are around $100.00. Still, it's worth it.

Sex in hot tubs is not recommended in Canadian winters. Oral sex is impossible unless you want to stand up and do it in 10 seocnd bursts, warm up for 5 seconds, stand up again, warm up, stand...Ive tried being brave, lasted 1 minute. This could be a great idea for someone who needs to learn staying power maybe, but thats about it.

Snorkel no good as you need your mouth.

Things dont move easily in the hot tub, surprising friction in unwelcome places.

Friends wont go in your hottub after they find out whats been going on in it.

Highly recommended for making out, then get in the house by the fireplace

gotta tell you, you can't beat a hot tub when you're going doggie style and that water jet hits you just so.... unbelievable. Many a night while the hubby was working, the hot tub and a drink were keeping me company! Bottoms up!

The downside with our hot tub is the cost to keep it warm. Our hot tub is adjacent to our pool so we really can keep it hot unless we wanted the rest of our pool hot as well. So spontaneity (sp?) is out for us. We have to plan about an hour ahead. Oh, but we've had fun when we did plan ahead.

Once, my wife's regular lover stopped by for a *visit*. We warmed up the hot tub and got in au natureal. Her hands were wandering around to get things going. At one point she was sitting on his lap. I reached over to play with her pussy, only to find that it was already filled with his cock. Very nice surprise.

We're planning on installing a hot tub/spa this summer. Given the temperature extremes here (-30C to +30C), we would appreciate any suggestions. Heating in the winter would cost a small fortune but we would like the tub to be open to the elements as much as possible without going broke. Don't you just love contradictions?

We have a Sundance Maxxus which seat 5 very comfortably, and 8 extremely comfortably, lol. Living in the Aspen Colorado area we go thru extreme weather and have found that they are insulated well and if you keep the cover on when your not using it it is very affordable, plus it keeps unwanted things out like dogs, leaves, and snakes.

greatesc, Sundance, IMO, makes one of the best spas in the market. One feature that helps keep the cost of heating it is because it is fully insulated. This keeps the whole underside of the hot tub away from the cold air/ground.

We have a Sundance Altimar which is designed for 6 people but we can find room for eight. :D

Believe it or not I'm in the business and work for a company that installs and maintans them. My deal is the water balence, but I agree on them being the best, althogh I really like Caldera two. Believe it or not I have one spa on my route that seats 40, geez ya gotta love Aspen, LOL

Our HOT TUB RULES;

1. For Adults; clothing optional.....9 times out of 10 when we say that...no bothers putting suits on anyway... :D ..

2. When the kids use it, or our "vanilla" friends, I make them wait, while I run their suits through a water only wash...I don't care who it is.....I have had kids in there that have a whole box of laundry soap in their suits, it reeks havoc on the chemicals.....and with pumps on, it looks like a bubble bath.....NO MORE

3. When consuming alcohol in the hot tub....by adults...be very careful....

Beer in hot tub...not pretty....(that was my fault).... :eek:

Very good advice you have there

A Few other tips

Don't pour a bottle of wintergreen analgesic in the spa either thinking it will help it will only make you drain and refill it a week later

Kids and the glitter stuff, geez what is that all about.

I have one customer who uses dish soap everytime they get out to clean off the ring around the tub, LOL it looks like a 500 gallon container of cool whip when I visit them next.

Alcohol in a hot tub at 104 degrees may kill you, so I recommend for those parties lower the temp to 98 degrees or below, then party like crazy

Just from us Get wet and get wild

Hmmm...you're not going to believe this but we just ended up in a house with our very own hot tub! LOL....Does anyone here have any tips on how to maintain this thing?

It's small holds 3! Threesome Tub! HEEE

It's funny you mention this today. I need to go and shock ours and test the chemicals.

I would suggest finding your local spa dealer and grilling them for as much information you can. They will have the chemicals you need to maintain your spa at the proper levels.

There are a number of different chemicals to use. Chlorine, Bromine, and enzymes. IMO, stay away from chlorine. It ruins suit, assuming you wear them, and can burn your eyes if the PPM (parts per million) is to high. Bromine is an alternative that is similar to chlorine. We are using a variation that is 100% chlorine free (not all are) and seems to work well for us. You'll need to shock your spa once a week and after each use.

But after all this it is well worth it. We enjoy ours frequently and have had a foursome in the middle of winter under the stars with neighbors about 30 feet away and no clue what we were doing. :D

We have a whole page just on water chemistry that I wrote for the guys that work with me

Nature 2 is a good way to go if you don't like chorine or bromine but you have to keep up with it. Personally we use chlorine. Hope this page helps

:kissface:

Susan working on ours

spa1.jpg

If you are going to use Nature 2 make sure you have an ozonator. Its a device which gives off ozone in the water to control bacteria. We tried Nature 2 without it and found out the hard way.

If you are going to use Nature 2 make sure you have an ozonator. Its a device which gives off ozone in the water to control bacteria. We tried Nature 2 without it and found out the hard way.

True again

You can also shock with Oxy Brite or Sunbrite every few days, these additives are theoretically chlorine free and will sanitize adequatly. Also beware that some ozonators ozone sources deteriorate after a few years and the light source may need to be replaced. If it's over two years old it may be bad.

With all this tech talk we have forgotton to talk about fun in the tub, lol

Thanks for all the great replies! Hmmm...now I'll have phoning spa dealers and ozone experts. If only we had a videophone! :hahaha:

Happy tubbin' everyone.

We put a hot tub on our screened-in, roofed-over back porch and we use it year round. We simply lower the water temperature setting to not more than 99 degrees in the summer, so it's just luke warm. In the winter we will bump it up to 100 or 101 degrees. Hotter than that makes us feel like lobsters being boiled.

We also especially love to use the hot tub when it's snowing outside. And the hot tub is a terrific ice breaker to get people naked together. We always turn on at least enough jets to keep the surface roiled, deliberately so that hands beneath the surface are NOT visible. Part of the purpose of the tub is to encourage people to not only get naked together, but to start feeling each other.

Lastly, those past age 40 will appreciate the value of hot tubs for soothing sore aching muscles and easing the pain of arthritic joints.

Tubs rock!

With all this tech talk we have forgotton to talk about fun in the tub, lol

We haven't forgotten about the fun in the tub part. In fact, the weather has cooled off here in the midwest. We've had more swining fun in our tub in the last six weeks than we did all last winter. So much so that we've influences a couple into buying their own and we will be going to their house to "check it out" soon!!!!! :D

We also especially love to use the hot tub when it's snowing outside. And the hot tub is a terrific ice breaker to get people naked together. We always turn on at least enough jets to keep the surface roiled, deliberately so that hands beneath the surface are NOT visible. Part of the purpose of the tub is to encourage people to not only get naked together, but to start feeling each other.

Lastly, those past age 40 will appreciate the value of hot tubs for soothing sore aching muscles and easing the pain of arthritic joints.

Tubs rock!

All we can say is Amen!

We use our tub a lot, especially in the cooler months. It's also a great ice-breaker for an evening of fun.

Our hot tub has served multiple purposes over the years we have had it.

It has been a source of relaxation for my wife and I, a ice breaker when meeting a new couple, and a couseling center for our daughter (she and my wife spend hours talking and drinking wine and solving lifes problems in it).

During the winter we keep it at 100 degrees, in the summer 90. It is a romantic nook when the snow falls, and a cool haven in the summer when it to 100 with 90 percent humidity.

All in all... we are probably in it 2 nights a week.

The only problem spot was when our daughter kept bringing her college girl friends home to use it. :nono: LOL

Hot tubs with people you know: cool

Hot tubs with strangers? Not cool.

We were at a get together with other swingers. The lady was really, really sweet. We met, and I said "how are you girl?" she smiled weakly, and said that she would have been better had Aunt Flo not decided to show up that day. Okay, no big deal. Then, I'm lounging in the hot tub, and guess who gets in the same water as me, in a bikini? Oh snap! Now, I know she was wearing a tampon, and lots of women swim during AF, and I'm sure its clean.......

but I have to say, it grossed me out. I got out, and went and took a shower.

Considering our first swing experience took place in a hottub, along with a lot of messing around in high school (one of my high school boyfriends had this amazing house with a redwood floored indoor porch with a hottub sank into it...someday i will have one)...they hold nothing but good memories for me. I'm not so concerned about micro-organisms because every hottub I've been in has been kept up and chemicaled and ph tested, ect.

Plus being all slippery and relaxed makes me happy. :)

I was at a swinger resort in Ocala once, and a lady and 3 guys (of which I was one) were in the hottub. Once of the hosts comes up to us, looks at me (why me!??) and said sternly, "DO NOT CUM IN THE HOTTUB."

I wouldn't wanna be the one to clean up eggdrop soup neither.