Guest winnme

Why don't swingers have their own symbol?

I have an image of an apple with a bite taken out of it on my computer. How does that differ from the Nasca symbol?

The apple is turned the other way. :lol:

I was thinking the same thing even though Robert from Lifestyles started using that apple of his a very long time ago.

If it ever became big time I can see a certain computer company getting nuts over that choice for "swingers" even though Robert does not like the term swingers.

Then again, I can not bring myself to use computers with fruit on the front of them. :D

Swingers aka People in general will NEVER agree on one symbol that would "out" them to the real world. Most of them can not even agree what a "swinger" is. :surrend:

80's flashback: LA Gear. Do they still make any of that stuff? Who cares! Why not clothing, etc with "LS Gear" on it? There are enough "trademarks" out there that no one would ask, but we would know. Any one asks, just say it is like LA Gear, and let them try to find it in the store. After a while they assume that it is some cheap China knockoff and move on.

I know this doesn't contribute to the current search for a universally recognized symbol, but.... Back in the 70's, there was a swinger's magazine called Select, it was a hook up type ad mag as well as informational for the lifestyle. And as strange as it may seem to a lot of you guys and gals, there was no internet, Al Gore hadn't invented it yet. But I digress, sorry. Anyway, they had a bumper sticker that was their unique way of writing the capitol letter 'S'. Not even a bumper sticker in the common sense, just the letter that could be affixed.

I thought it was a great idea and I spent many years after looking for one on a bumper in my travels, to no avail. And even though we were into the lifestyle, we declined to display one on our vehicle.

The BSBD community has one. I'm sure that the vast majority of people don't actually wear it all the time, but they do have one and they do all pretty much agree on what it is. So, IT CAN BE DONE -- AND IT HAS TO START SOMEWHERE. Why not here? Ask yourselves that question.

We COULD have one too. Some individuals not WANTING to wear one shouldn't negate the idea of others having one. I fail to understand why the first reaction of some many is to shit on this idea. It forces those of us that would like to develop such a symbol to wear on cruises or other vacation spots to wade through a lot of bullshit, and it causes others to give up on the trying to develop something before they even start.

So, as long as people keep shouting down the idea EVERY G.D. TIME IT'S BROUGHT UP, everyone who wants to work on this will just get discouraged and go away.

And then there are the people who think two male and two female symbols interlinked is somehow clever -- and apparently think the rest of the world is stupid. Why not just wear a shirt that says "HEY, I'M A SWINGER! But, that's an issue that could be worked out if the overwhelming number of nay-sayers weren't so eager to tell people what can and can't be done. If I listened to these kinds of people, I literally wouldn't be where I am in life. But since people here seem to take joy in telling people what they CAN'T do -- well, it's going to be hard to get anyone to even try.

Sorry, it just pisses me off. :angry: I gave up on this issue a long time back because I got tired of hearing about how it CAN'T be done instead of just letting people try and succeed or fail on their own. If it happens, it won't be done here. Another group will get that honor.:surrend:

By the way, I'll bet very few of you knew that the BSBD community had a symbol. You know why? Because no one outside the BSBD community cares, and the "cool" kids have not started wearing it.

I think this makes the point very nicely that both of these argument are rubbish. Believe it or not, we're not even on the rest of the world's radar screen. They don't care about us or what we're doing (thank god). They're not taking their cues from us, and they're not trying to discover our secret handshake. We're juar not that cool to them. If anything, we're creepy. I'm sorry to blow your world view, but vanillas aren't spending their days looking up what the swinging world is doing today.

And, if you haven't noticed: the "cool kids" think that 40 year olds getting together to have sex with each other is icky, not the height the cool. They're not going to start emulating a bunch of "creepy old people." Trust me! 20 year olds don't want to think about 35-50+ year olds having sex, let alone having "orgies."

One additional point on the male/female symbols: We have several colleges and tech schools in the area. I can't count the number of times that I have seen students wearing a shirt with different variations of the interlocked symbols on it. Mainly men (boys) hoping to attract a threesome, but it is already mainstream and in use.

Adam-n-Eve,

While your taking the time to get mad take a look back through the ten years of threads here.

It has been tried in earnest many, many times. People even took the time to spend their own money and had jewelry and other things made up that everyone "thought would work".

Lifestyles has tried it for 30 years. Many other groups much larger then the group here has also tried it many times over the years. One of the largest "on-line dating" sites that does conventions has tried it and they can't get their group to agree either.

It is not just here, it is reality. People just don't agree. Not something to get mad about, just the way it is.

You want to make something up and try to get the "Swingers World" to use it, go for it, no one is stopping you.

The timing of this threads re-birth is actually quite funny to me. Mrs. CXXC is trying to figure out what symbol to carve into our pumpkins this year that will let "those in the know" know that we are swingers! LOL So far, she is opting for the pineapple. As we are in the south east, the symbol will still stand for "Welcome" or for more historical purposes, "The lady of the house is entertaining". To any swingers in the area, we hope they catch the other meaning.

Adam and Eve

You really should not get so worked up about this. It is not for lack of trying nor lisening to the nay sayers that a symbol has not been decided upon. People simply cannot decide upon ONE UNIVERSAL symbol to indicate that we are swingers.

The vanilla worlds knowledge of the symbol is a real concern. Due to the sheer number of swingers in the world, (8-24 million but dont get me started ont hat topic) will make the symbol fairly easy to pick out in time.

20 somethings dont care about 30-50 year olds having sex? I beg to differ based upon personal experience. I have been with SEVERAL 20 somethings as has Mrs. CXXC. They are just as interested in the fun as we are.

If your argument is about the 20 somethings in the Vanilla world, I argue against that again. Based upon personal experience, we have AGAIN been with several Vanilla 20 somethings. They are just as interested in having fun as those in the LS.

Suggest somehting as a symbol. Who knows? Perhaps youw ill be the one to create the universal symbol for the lifestyle. I know that I would be interested to see your design!

Adam-n-Eve said:
By the way, I'll bet very few of you knew that the BSBD community had a symbol. You know why? Because no one outside the BSBD community cares, and the "cool" kids have not started wearing it.

I think this makes the point very nicely that both of these argument are rubbish. Believe it or not, we're not even on the rest of the world's radar screen. They don't care about us or what we're doing (thank god). They're not taking their cues from us, and they're not trying to discover our secret handshake. We're just not that cool to them. If anything, we're creepy. I'm sorry to blow your world view, but vanillas aren't spending their days looking up what the swinging world is doing today.

And, if you haven't noticed: the "cool kids" think that 40 year olds getting together to have sex with each other is icky, not the height the cool. They're not going to start emulating a bunch of "creepy old people." Trust me! 20 year olds don't want to think about 35-50+ year olds having sex, let alone having "orgies."

IMHO, it has to do with the fact that most swingers want to be discreet because it has massive social consequences.

Swinging is no where near being socially accepted and many people fear reprisal and harassment.

Not everyone but a good majority.

For military folks it's even worse as charges can be filed against you if you are found out. Swinging is pretty much open to discrimination and persecution.

So unlike the homosexual community who is fighting for equality and acceptance (and slowly gaining ground) swingers enjoy no such movement and protections so most chose to remain discreet.

We like the pineapple symbol, though have to be careful as some vanillas like it as a decoration only. Could be embarassing if misidentified! We heard some folks hung a pineapple air freshener upside down in their cars as a sign to other lifestylers but don't know how successful they were.

Ok, here is an idea I have.

I believe it might have been right in front of me all along, although I either missed it, or.... I have been channeled to my true purpose.

It's the letter, "S"

I'm going to incorporate it into some jewelry designs I have. You see, I have officially past my silver smiths test and now I'm ready to make Jewelry.

(as a hobby that is)

I mean, why not the letter "S", in the center a bracelet with surrounding swirls/designs or even a jewel or two. I have the ideas in my head and will try to show some of my ideas here, once I get them on paper or file.

Bracelets, ear-rings, a pendant or neckless.... I could do that !

I would like to give them perhaps to the women I meet and say

"it's for Safety, Sanity, and Sex....."

Kinda like Johnny appleseed, only Not...

The deal is, they cant tell vanilla people, our secrete code. Those dumb vanillas would be thinking "Swinging" but my friends could say if asked " No, it stands for safety, sanity and sex...silly " That would shut any vanilla up with confusion alone.

So now I have silver smith, safety, sanity, sex, swinging.....

Coincidence ? I think not ! I am really feeling a vibe here....

Whoa... dudes and dudetts... I just thought of something else. A secret hand shake, spreading of the antlers, wallah wallah super secrete hand shake ?

Cross you arms in front of your face, now put your thumbs in the palm of your open hands. Now roll your hands in a small circle raising your hands upward.

Do ya see the swans ? they could be like... swinger swans.(more S's) We could give that secrete Didi at each other in public and no one would know. We could even bob our heads a little...

OK, forget that last "swan" thing, I kinda went off the fucking deep end on that one. I get carried away sometimes.

But still, the "S" idea is kinda cool, isn't it.....? What do ya think ?

better way is lifestyle tattoos that are already on the market. they have a "fancy L" in the design to signify lifestyle couple. neatest thing about the tattoos is you can let others know just who you wan to play with

better way is lifestyle tattoos that are already on the market. they have a "fancy L" in the design to signify lifestyle couple. neatest thing about the tattoos is you can let others know just who you wan to play with

A fancy "L" ? ...like Laverne on the old "Laverne & Shirley" show??

Ummm... well, if that works for ya?

The previous poster mentioned a "swinger-secret-handshake" ... which made me chuckle - there's a gal at a weekly swinger's pool-party that I've been a semi-regular at who basically introduces herself by walking up to naked fellas in the pool and gently strokes their genitals a couple times. She refers to this as her "official swinger's handshake" (I think it's closer to a hand-job than a hand-shake... but I haven't exactly shunned her away when she does this either. *laughing*)

Back in the early '00s when we first started in the LS, there was a website called Starry Nights that made an attempt to sell swinger identity items. It consisted of various jewelry, temp tattoos, etc. that featured the silhouette of a couple with a half moon. We bought a pin and seem to recall wearing it to one party without comment. Never did see anyone else with a similar symbol and apparently the site is not around anymore.

Given the lack of a predominate agreement on a symbol combined with a small subset of the population, I personally don't see success as on say the level of Gay Pride symbols to be instantly recognizable to all swingers, let alone non-swingers at large.

To be successful, a swingers symbol must be generally known. Otherwise it would not be effective. But if it's generally known, that compromises our desire for privacy. Checkmate.

• Like 1

The newset thing I have heard is of wearing a black ring on the ring finger of your right hand. Hubby and I both have one but have never seen anyone but the friends we have told wearing it!

Remember when '420' was secret code for pot? Yea, best to not have an advertisement hanging, tattooed or attached. Some things are best left behind closed doors.

I've said it before...no matter how much fun it would be to have a secret symbol, signal, or handshake, eventually the secret will get out. As JandK pointed out with 420 but also the rainbow for LGBT. Once it gets out, it's no longer a secret and everyone know what you are 'advertising'.