Wiseguy Eh, Like you haven't hear that joke 10 too many times.

Why does a women who sleeps with 10 men then go on Jerry and claim that guy number 4 is the father??? To get her 15 min of fame. Who wouldn't, besides most of the population, want to be on the Oprah show. I mean the woman gives out great gifts. This is a hot topic, good for ratings who isn't going to watch, you admitted yourself that you would have liked to see the outcome even though you don't like Oprah.

Then there are the holier then thou types who would watch it so they can go on about how wonderful they are and how lowly us type people are. Ratings and attention. that's it, that's all.

Well, I'm new to the boards and this is my first post. :o

I saw the Oprah show today and I was pleasantly surprised with how "normal" the people were. I was so interested in what they had to say that I took the chance and found this board.

Swinging is something that DH and I have talked about since before we were married but we were always afraid of it because we didn't know what to expect. I don't have a supermodel's body that's for sure :lol: and we consider ourselves conservative and we never knew what to expect. :o I've imagined going to a club but I was afraid that we'd be expected to "put out" (for lack of a better word) and I had horror story ideas running through my head. Again, I was happy to see that these people were just like us. :)

Even so I still wondered why they came out on national t.v. but I must admit, I'm glad they did.

Thanks. :)

This episode has actually been shown a few times before. Original air date was 2004. I do wonder however why Oprah is so interested in swinging because this is the 3rd time I know of that she's replayed it :)

I finally caught this airing too! I thought it was quite good. Very fair and respectful. I think Oprah must be more fascinated by the whole concept that she is able to show on the air. And perhaps she's telling the powers that be that she wants it shown again because it jacks up the ratings. And I'm sure it does. Sex sells, baby! :D

Here's a good thing: Wifey watched Oprah, which brought up the swinging topic with us (again!) and so I said, "Can we sign up on a swingers board?" and she said, "OK, but not a personal ad." and she wants us to be discrete (very) to start off. SHe worries about creepy people.

So guess what? This, the swingersboard, turned out to be perfect for us. NIce, non-pushy people, no real personal ads, able to not use our names to start with, and actually a chance to talk to open minded people.

And I got permission to start a profile here because of that Oprah episode!

Hubby Bird

Why did do it. First of all we were not looking to be on the show or to make our self's public. We were at a convention and the producers liked something we said in a seminar then tracked us down later at the convention we said no a number of times but agreed to just answer their research questons. From there they began asking us to do the show to which we said no several times. When our lifestyle friends at the convention found out that the Oprah people wanted us to do the show they told us it would be great if we would do it as "You are so normal, have all your teeth and jobs" what more cold you ask of you lifestyle friends than to see you like that.

We decided we were not ashamed of any thing we do and that if the kids did not object then we were at the place in our lives where people could take us or leave us and that was there problem so why not.

We have no desire to have any additional attention and we did not know that they would run the show 4 times (each time they tell us this is the last time). We think there need to be more shows that show that swingers are just normal folks but next time one of you can carry the ball as we have had our 5 min of fame,

Steve & Terri

PS as to what has happened since, No one cares, so other than making a few new lifestyle friends and having a few lifestyle couples tell us they are not interested in meeting us because they are "discreet" nothing has changed.

I haven't caught the segment on Oprah, but I hope that swingers aren't judged or mis-represented....but I think they are. I looked at her site, and it said "could your neighbor be cheating on her husband?"

I don't want to judge the show without seeing it....but if she is judging sinning then I think her little relationship with Stedman needs to be brought up, because I dont believe that they have been married a day of it.

So, I hope she isn't throwing stones when she herself is living in a glass house.

I haven't caught the segment on Oprah, but I hope that swingers aren't judged or mis-represented....but I think they are. I looked at her site, and it said "could your neighbor be cheating on her husband?"

I don't want to judge the show without seeing it....but if she is judging sinning then I think her little relationship with Stedman needs to be brought up, because I dont believe that they have been married a day of it.

So, I hope she isn't throwing stones when she herself is living in a glass house.

Nope, she wasn't throwing stones at all. The cheating segment was the first half of the show; the swingers were the second half. She was quite neutral (I thought) and asked some questions that I think most "vanillas" want to know. She even came to the defense of swingers when one audience member said that swingers were living a lie. She said something to the effect of, 'if it's the truth for them and their relationship, why is it wrong?' (I haven't seen it in a year, so I'm sure that's not a word-for-word) The swingers she had, both in the audience and on stage were as normal as any of the swingers we know. I think it was a very well done segment.

Pepper

Pepper & Drew said:
Nope, she wasn't throwing stones at all. The cheating segment was the first half of the show; the swingers were the second half. She was quite neutral (I thought) and asked some questions that I think most "vanillas" want to know. She even came to the defense of swingers when one audience member said that swingers were living a lie. She said something to the effect of, 'if it's the truth for them and their relationship, why is it wrong?' (I haven't seen it in a year, so I'm sure that's not a word-for-word) The swingers she had, both in the audience and on stage were as normal as any of the swingers we know. I think it was a very well done segment.

Ok, well that's cool then.

Well, not really on Oprah, just on the show. I may have my dates mixed up but I think it's 3 July 06. I just watched some of Oprah and her guests (the accountants and the Brownie leader). I was vacuuming the pool and my wife neglected to tell me what she was watching with great interest, I might add. Anyway, as I watched and listened, I felt that Oprah was listening to learn and asking to inform. I didn't get the feeling that she was going to use her considerable powers to sway anybody's opinion except for one point. She made it very clear that she believes that the understanding that we have traditionally held about "marriage" is changing. Well done Oprah. :claps: She invited her viewing audience to join her on Oxygen to hear the rest. Unfortunately, I was unable to do so. Anyone got anything to add?

I checked out Oprah's web site and what it said about the show.

They had 8 pictures of guests and a brief summery of what they said.

It left me with the impression that affairs really cause damage to relationships but if a couple are honest and go into swinging with a good relationship the swinging doesn't hurt their marriage.

The other problem the show documented with affairs is that they often are the result of the couple getting into a place where they can't calk and hear each other. The affair while meeting needs in the women's lives, was also a way of saying this marriage isn't working. I need attention, I need my self confidence built up etc. My marriage isn't doing that. The affair shouted that so loudly to the spouse that they heard it. The ladies on Oprah's web ages usually got a divorce ... they weren't able to get the marriage back on track as I read the web info.

Anyways, if views could accept the show, they might have got the clear idea that swinging if one starts with the communication package and then the sex is a good thing.