Fundamental Law

Kisspeptin--an effective aphrodisiac?

Kisspeptin is a peptide that appears to be effective in the treatment of hypoactive sexual desire disorder in both men and women. Here are links to both peer-reviewed studies published in the last several months.

Men   https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2800937 and concludes

"Taken together, our data suggest that pharmacological use of kisspeptin-based therapeutics may offer the first safe and much-needed clinical strategy for men with HSDD and low sexual desire more broadly."

Women https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2797718 and concludes

"In summary, these data suggest that kisspeptin administration deactivates regions that are hyperactivated in women with HSDD, as well as activating additional key sexual brain regions, thereby enhancing sexual brain processing. Furthermore, kisspeptin enhances limbic brain activity that correlates with reduced sexual aversion and alters the processing of male facial attractiveness. Collectively, these findings provide key behavioral and functional relevance for kisspeptin’s enhancement of brain activity on viewing erotic stimuli and male faces and, importantly, lays the foundations for clinical applications for kisspeptin in patients with psychosexual disorders."

So far, no adverse effects have been identified. Read the papers. 

Our take is that this might be a first-in-class effective libido enhancer. If it proves out in clinical trials, it will be a blockbuster drug--and will likely change the way we approach sexual function and dysfunction for a long time. The potential impact on the lifestyle community seems pretty high. 

• Like 1

Wow! I know it can be a long way from positive initial research results to getting a scrip, but this could turn out to be a real boon to folks who would like to have an enjoyable erotic life but "just don’t feel it".

55 minutes ago, PeterJ said:

Wow! I know it can be a long way from positive initial research results to getting a scrip, but this could turn out to be a real boon to folks who would like to have an enjoyable erotic life but "just don’t feel it".

Yes. And it could also have an effect on couples where there is asymmetric interest in some LS event etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fundamental Law said:

Yes. And it could also have an effect on couples where there is asymmetric interest in some LS event etc. 

Excellent point, FL. Over time in long term relationships when mismatches in sex drive develop the relationship becomes less fulfilling. And sometimes it ends.

In my own life I’ve been fortunate to have had wives whose healthy libidos continue have continued over the years to more or less match mine. But I’ve had a several close (vanilla) friends whose spouses maintain their loving devotion — but they just are no longer interested in sex. That has put stress in their marriages and damaged the affectional bonds between them.