njbm

Who has been vaccinated?

I am scheduled for Tuesday February 16 at a nearby hospital. Moderna vaccine. 

Congratulations. Please share your experience with us all.

We're going to wait for now, my wife's biochem degree and background is throwing up a few flags on the play. We do not however, suggest others follow our lead, we tend to be out of the mainstream on these things.

To your health!

• Like 3

First Pfizer on Jan 29 ... second one Feb 19.  Both had sore arms the next day.  Wife had a few chills and muscle aches several days later.  Nothing acetaminophen wouldn’t handle.

• Like 2

Mrs. Shy and I are both in healthcare and were vaccinated. Her with Moderna and I had Phizer. 

Nothing to report. No symptoms afterward. Arm pain was no worse than the flu shot. 

I had really hoped to wait until

the end of the healthcare line but my number was called right after Christmas and was afraid if I decided to wait, I would end up waiting until summer.

• Like 3

Both have had both doses Pfizer. Wu no problems. I had feeling of imbalance for a day after both with standing and walking but not with exercising. Plan to continue masking and social care although we feel personally safer might consider some travel probably only in USA.

• Like 3

We have both had the first Moderna shot with no side effects. 2nd shot scheduled. We have friends who had mixed reactions from none to a day or two of sleepiness and chills. 

• Like 1

Had first Pfizer, second dose due Feb. 23. Just a sore arm for a couple days.

I am currently using two layers of face masks according to CDC guidelines, I'll probably go back to one three weeks after my second dose. I figure I'll be wearing a mask for months yet, but once we're all vaccinated at least I'll get to visit with my family - my son-in-law is a transplant recipient and is seriously compromised.

• Like 1

We are neither old or have any health problems so we are low on the list of priority! Probably be quite a while before we get ours and I am okay with that.  Rather not get it at all, but going to have to at some point I am sure.

• Like 1

I think that a vaccine will be required for travel. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not yet for us, although we will as soon as we can. 

We have several close family members and friends who have received the vaccine.  Some have had just one dose so far, some both. Rough breakdown is 20% have reported experiencing no side effects, 70% reported along the lines of what Mr. and Mrs. FL experienced but to a lesser degree/timeframe (i.e. shot that morning, went to bed early since not feeling too great, woke up fine the next morning), and then 10% had some moderate side effects linger for several days.

• Like 1

We both are healthcare providers and have had both rounds of Pfizer and generally no issues. At our healthcare facility we have vaccinated about 2/3-3/4 of all staff I believe (only those declining haven't received it) and either Pfizer or Moderna have for the most part no major issues but there is a split in immune response. Some folks get what we got: sore arm (like dead arm), general malaise and that's it. Others get a very strong response: high temps, chills, n/v/d, just strong flu like symptoms for a few days. We have NO idea what predicts the variability. But generally both have favorable profiles in terms of immunity. We have seen facility wide employee infection rates drop dramatically since about 2 weeks after round 1 and continued after round 2 - and I should add we are in two separate healthcare facilities (we're in the Triangle of NC, so there is Durham VA, Duke, UNC, Wake, etc.; so wifey and I work at 2 of these 4 and both have seen significant reduction in employee infection rates, so that's a very good sign. I have not seen any posted data at our facility as to how many had mild versus stronger immune response, just anecdotally among friends and colleagues in which it seems half had mild and the other half reported "worst feeling ever" but it passed within a few days.

On the day I got my 2nd shot, a bunch of friends got it too so we texted each other responses; seemed like around 12-hours was when notable symptoms presented for those with strong response; for others like me, it was just a feeling being "off" I guess, along with the sore arm.

Edited by PonderingCouple
  • Like 1

For the medical pros, is it ok to take tylenol or Advil if one feels ill after a vaccine? Or does that interfere with the immune response? Just spitballing it for my upcoming shots. 

No one knows, but we would certainly choose acetaminophen (Tylenol TM) over ibuprofen or naproxen (Advil TM or Aleve TM) . The latter are specifically antiinflamatory. The former is more of an antipyretic and strikes us as less likely to interfere with the immune response you are trying to generate in the first place. 

• Like 3

I think I will just go “bareback” and tough it out after the shots. 

Our only relevant guidance is to make sure that you have no plans that require you to be at peak mental or physical performance for 48 hours after the second injection (or first if you had COVID). Your body is *supposed* to react to the antigen challenge as the mRNA produces spike protein. Embrace the discomfort and know that it is protecting you for the future.

• Like 4

We haven't gotten the vaccine as we both had the virus in November.  We figured that others need it worse than we do.  Our cases were very mild, it felt like a mild head cold.  

That said, we don't trust such a hastily concocted vaccine.  I could go on, but you get the point.  Anybody else think that way?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baconheads said:

We haven't gotten the vaccine as we both had the virus in November.  We figured that others need it worse than we do.  Our cases were very mild, it felt like a mild head cold.  

That said, we don't trust such a hastily concocted vaccine.  I could go on, but you get the point.  Anybody else think that way?

This mirrors our position as well.   We're seeing too many conflicting reports at the moment.   They're probably isolated incidents but no reason to rush this.   Will give it another six months or so to see if new developments (if any) come out.   We're not going anywhere before then anyway it would seem...

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, hkdilbert said:

We're seeing too many conflicting reports at the moment.   

What conflicting reports are you seeing? That the vaccines are causing harm? That the vaccines are ineffective? What are the sources for those reports?

• Like 4

On 2/14/2021 at 11:10 AM, Fundamental Law said:

only relevant guidance is to make sure that you have no plans that require you to be at peak mental or physical performance for 48 hours after the second injection (or first if you had COVID).

Got our second shot today and have chicken soup at the ready. 

• Like 2

I received my first covid vaccine today. It was by Moderna. This evening, my arm is slightly sore, but it is mild and if I don’t think about it, I wouldn’t notice it. 

I heard the second dose can have more side effects. 

We just heard tonight that the husband of one of our favorite lifestyle couples just got out of the hospital after three weeks. He is still using oxygen at home. He is a slim, fit, trim health conscious guy. His father also has covid and is in the hospital on a ventilator.

I will accept all the teasing and criticism about being cautious. But I really don’t want to get it. I am going to an orthopedist tomorrow, hopeful they take appropriate precautions.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, njbm said:

heard the second dose can have more side effects. 

We had no side effects from the first other than a little soreness at the injection site. 

Second shot, again some soreness, Alan less than me. We both felt blah, tired and some stiffness. I stayed in, Alan went for a walk. Two days out we are pretty much back to normal. 

• Like 2

We would like to have received vaccinations but being full-time residents of Pennsylvania and spending just two months in Florida made the chance of getting vaccine very small. We saw on a TV news broadcast that part-time residents were allowed if they could show documentation but the process for submitting this documentation turned out to be more difficult than finding our way out of an escape room. 

We put a call into that PA hospital at which we have both received treatment in the past and are awaiting a call-back. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SW_PA_Couple said:

We would like to have received vaccinations but being full-time residents of Pennsylvania and spending just two months in Florida made the chance of getting vaccine very small. We saw on a TV news broadcast that part-time residents were allowed if they could show documentation but the process for submitting this documentation turned out to be more difficult than finding our way out of an escape room. 

We put a call into that PA hospital at which we have both received treatment in the past and are awaiting a call-back. 

Luckily, I'm a veteran over 65, so the Pittsburgh VA hospital got me in on the third day. I could have been in the first day, decided I didn't want to fight the crowd.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2021 at 5:43 PM, SW_PA_Couple said:

Here is my weak attempt of making humor out of a serious situation:

The three big lies:

* Your check is in the mail.

* I will not cum in your mouth.

* I've been vaccinated.

What’s a check?

I liked to be asked if I enjoy cum. When and if a man tells me he won’t cum I always answer It’s No Problem

I Do know plenty of people who have been vaccinated. 

I know  it was a joke. 

Both of us have had two doses of the Pfizer vaccine and are into the second week after the last dose. Other than the normal "hey' they stuck something into my arm" stiffness for a day and being a bit groggy two days after the second dose there have been no side effects.

Got my second Moderna shot on 3/16. Minor arm pain, drowsy, maybe chills. Happy to have had the vaxes. 

So, I got my second shot a month ago, and I've got a lot of peace of mind about it. 

A funny thing though, a year ago I took the social distancing thing very seriously. Out on the street or in the supermarket, if people got in my six feet zone I'd get a little paranoid. Now that I'm vaccinated and it should no longer be as much of a problem, I'm having a hard time letting go of my crazy about it.

Edit: It seems I might have been misunderstood. I'm not saying we shouldn't continue social distancing for some time, just that I'm amazed at how strongly I'm reacting to it.

Magical thinking--such as the idea that there is a clear breakpoint at 6 feet and that vaccines make you (or someone else) invulnerable--is common and even expected. Humans want "yes/no" information, biology is invariably messier. Humans also are sociologically wired to test limits--whether it is progressively exceeding the speed limit ("normalization of deviance") or athletic performance ("extreme whatever"). 

At the interface between the science and the sociology is the marketing of ideas to change beliefs and behaviors. 

• Like 1

People do think the vaccine is a magic bullet. The virus read the memo about six feet. If you wear a mask, you cannot contract the virus. People do like certainty, but the virus is impervious to wishful thinking. They want to replicate. 

• Like 1

Want to make a comment, but history has taught me (in the case of Corona) to keep my mouth shut. How about: we were into social distancing before it was cool...

• Like 1

Pfizer, Round One, is in the books. Round Two scheduled for mid-April.

Side-effects? Me: Absolutely none. Not even a sore injection site.

Ann: Sore arm, little headache, and trouble falling and staying asleep. Treated with some extra H2O and 100 mg of acetaminophen. And a stiff Grey Goose martini, hold the olives ?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GoldCoCouple said:

Want to make a comment, but history has taught me (in the case of Corona) to keep my mouth shut. How about: we were into social distancing before it was cool...

I don't think it is necessary for you feel the need to remain silent about this topic, or anything else.

When it comes to the pandemic, nobody has cornered the market on intelligent thought, that's for sure. This goes double for the people who are supposedly objective "experts". 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, adamgunn said:

So, I got my second shot a month ago, and I've got a lot of peace of mind about it. 

A funny thing though, a year ago I took the social distancing thing very seriously. Out on the street or in the supermarket, if people got in my six feet zone I'd get a little paranoid. Now that I'm vaccinated and it should no longer be as much of a problem, I'm having a hard time letting go of my crazy about it.

Edit: It seems I might have been misunderstood. I'm not saying we shouldn't continue social distancing for some time, just that I'm amazed at how strongly I'm reacting to it.

Very interesting comment. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I don't find your reaction to be surprising whatsoever. Humans are, like most living things, creatures of habit. We have been practicing social distancing for more than a year. We have been inundated with dire messages about the need to do so. We've destroyed entire swaths of the economy in the process, wrecking the lives, both financially and socially, of millions of people. We've spent trillions of dollars of tax payer money in an attempt to counteract the effects, with the prospect of spending trillions more in the near future. For the first time in history, we've made emergency direct cash payments to both businesses and citizens.

And people and business is on the move. We're seeing the largest migrations of both people and wealth in the United States since the Westward Expansion.  People are fleeing certain areas of the country in the hopes of a establishing a better life somewhere else. In Florida, roughly one-thousand net new people arrive *every day*, and most of them are bringing sacks full of cash. These aren't starving artists or recent college grads. The demand for high-end, single-family properties (those costing $1,000,000 and up) in Palm Beach county has jumped by approximately two-hundred and seventy percent. And that is being replicated in counties all across the state.

The idea promoted by some that we would just "forget all about it" snap back to "normal" is preposterous. This isn't the Spanish Flu and this isn't 1918. The effects of this pandemic will be felt from this point on. Nothing will ever be the same. The socio-economic consequences will continue to accelerate, not decelerate.

And the virus is mutating. The CDC has said social distancing continues to be critical and is warning about the prospects of another surge. In California, for instance, the majority of new cases of the virus are from two new variants. Nevada and Arizona aren't far behind.

• Like 1

My big question is: Does the vaccine protect against the variants? I do not think anyone currently knows the answer with certainty. 

3 minutes ago, njbm said:

My big question is: Does the vaccine protect against the variants? I do not think anyone currently knows the answer with certainty. 

They may not know.

Or, equally likely, they know far more than they are admitting, but have decided not to tell us the entire truth as best they understand it for fear of creating more panic, discourse, and social unrest. 

I do know the Johnson & Johnson said their vaccine is considerably less effective against a strain of the virus that came out of Africa. 

• Like 1

We will find out in time.

My personal nonprofessional guess?

Vaccinated bodies will be primed to mount a defense and will more quickly recognize and modify as necessary. So unless the variant is hugely different it will not be a big deal.

I wonder what percentage of the population was killed the first time the common cold reared its head. Now it is a petty annoyance because our bodies have much experience dealing with those variants, starting out in the womb.

Just my guess, but then again I am a tinner not a doctor or biologist .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lcmim said:

We will find out in time.

My personal nonprofessional guess?

Vaccinated bodies will be primed to mount a defense and will more quickly recognize and modify as necessary. So unless the variant is hugely different it will not be a big deal.

I wonder what percentage of the population was killed the first time the common cold reared its head. Now it is a petty annoyance because our bodies have much experience dealing with those variants, starting out in the womb.

Just my guess, but then again I am a tinner not a doctor or biologist .

I agree with the vaccination assessment. Certainly, one would logically believe a body that has been vaccinated against one type of virus would be more well-equipped to defend itself against another variant of the same virus. But, that will remain to be seen...

Regarding your common cold analogy, I think influenza is probably a better yardstick. It constantly mutates, and a vaccine can be made to combat certain strains. But it is always there. And some strains are quite a bit more deadly than are others (Spanish Flu, for instance.) Even with an established vaccination program, roughly 20,000 to 60,000 people die from complications from influenza in the United States every year; globally that number swells to 300,000 to 650,000 people every year--but, keep in mind, that number is an estimate only. Billions of people in the world live in poverty, under unsanitary conditions and in close proximity to others, with little to no access to modern medical care. In those places, no medical scientists are there to keep track of who dies from what. It is logical to reason influenza kills far more people than we can conclusively say.

So, will vaccinated folks play with non-vaccinated folks or even vaccinated folks.

As I understand it, the vaccine will help those inoculated from getting really sick, but not from getting sick. Although, I do not believe in the asymptomatic carriers are really capable of passing along COVID, will that possibility keep others from playing with:

1. Un-vaccinated folks

2. Vaccinated folks - since they can still get COVID and I'd suspect fall into the camp of Asymptomatic.

I suspect people will begin to play with vaccinated partners and assume the 'calculated risk', does that risk substantially increase when playing with un-vaccinated partners?

1 hour ago, lovefest04 said:

So, will vaccinated folks play with non-vaccinated folks or even vaccinated folks.

As I understand it, the vaccine will help those inoculated from getting really sick, but not from getting sick. Although, I do not believe in the asymptomatic carriers are really capable of passing along COVID, will that possibility keep others from playing with:

1. Un-vaccinated folks

2. Vaccinated folks - since they can still get COVID and I'd suspect fall into the camp of Asymptomatic.

I suspect people will begin to play with vaccinated partners and assume the 'calculated risk', does that risk substantially increase when playing with un-vaccinated partners?

Yes, IMHO. I think we all have a lot to learn about the pandemic. 

13 hours ago, lovefest04 said:

1. Un-vaccinated folks

Yes, your first part of your post is correct: For most people, the current versions of the vaccine will not result in complete immunity from the virus. It is very possible to be infected even after being vaccinated, but the intended results are significantly less severe symptoms and resulting complications. I know someone who was vaccinated with the Pfizer version of the vaccine and she contracted the virus several weeks after completing her second dose. Her symptoms were comparatively mild, but she was not a happy camper. She was under the mistaken belief that she was completely immune. Whoopsie.

You are incorrect about asymptomatic carriers. They are entirely capable of spreading the disease. In fact, the CDC estimates a very large percentage of cases are spread from people who have no outward, or only very mild, symptoms.

And then we have the issue of the virus mutating. The CDC is, right now, quite concerned about the possibility of another surge and is urging Americans to maintain social distancing, regardless of if one is vaccinated or not. As I wrote earlier, in California, the most populous state in the union, the majority of all new cases are coming from two, new variants. Arizona and Nevada are close on its heels. Frightening stuff.

As far as the lifestyle is concerned... it will remain to be seen. Some people are naturally more prone to taking risks than are others. Some people are driven more by their desire for sex than are others. Will that risk taking and desire for sex be tempered by the possibility/probability of catching a virus, or spreading a virus, that could cause serious illness or even death to you or your playmates? I would imagine the answer would be "yes" for most reasonable people, even the risk takers. It's a bell shaped curve, and those on the extreme fringe will throw caution to the wind, no doubt. But they are the minority.

Us? Until we know a LOT more about the virus... we're sticking with our carefree nudist lifestyle and playing hide the salami exclusively in the comfort and safety of our relationship. We've avoided it so far (knock on wood) and intend to keep it that way.

• Like 2

ANDREWANDANN,

I recognize your point about using the flu as a comparator,

I chose the common cold in reference to NL63, OC43, 229E, and HKU1 four corona virus' that are causes of the "common cold" in addition to some rhinovirus'.

The point being that covid was dangerous because it was novel and that over time it is possible that its danger will decrease just because our collective immune responses have developed. Thus the question about how deadly the common cold was the first go around.

The suggestion, as yet unproven, has been made that one of the reasons for the light asymptomatic cases is previous and recent exposure to one or more of the above listed viruses and those lucky folks systems were already prepped for combat.

21 minutes ago, lcmim said:

ANDREWANDANN,

I recognize your point about using the flu as a comparator,

I chose the common cold in reference to NL63, OC43, 229E, and HKU1 four corona virus' that are causes of the "common cold" in addition to some rhinovirus'.

The point being that covid was dangerous because it was novel and that over time it is possible that its danger will decrease just because our collective immune responses have developed. Thus the question about how deadly the common cold was the first go around.

The suggestion, as yet unproven, has been made that one of the reasons for the light asymptomatic cases is previous and recent exposure to one or more of the above listed viruses and those lucky folks systems were already prepped for combat.

Yes, I understood your original point. Like the common cold, our bodies would largely adapt to fighting it after we reach some kind of herd immunity. I hope that is the path it follows. But, right now, it looks like it's taking a pathway that more closely resembles influenza.

Keep in mind, most healthy people can battle influenza successfully with minimal medical intervention. But, generally, it is a more serious viral infection than a simple cold. And it can, and does, kill a lot of vulnerable people.

And I am aware COVID is in the same family as the common cold. And it is in the same family as SARs and MERs. Coronavirus is a big family tree. And, as you correctly point out, COVID-19 and influenza are very different viruses. 

According to a February article in Today, a poll of 100 virologists, immunologists, and researchers,  showed 89 of them believed COVID-19, and its variants, are endemic and not something that will be eradicated.  The former director of the CDC said this particular disease is showing a remarkable ability to mutate and adapt to everything we throw at it. JnJ's CEO says he predicts this is something people will need to get annually vaccinated for over at least the next several years.

• Like 2

It is likely here to stay, and annual vaccines for a while should speed the species biological learning curve. I am hoping for one generation.

16 hours ago, lovefest04 said:

1. Un-vaccinated folks

I don´t want to start a long polemic discussion, or offend anybody but science is not an opinion and shouldn't be discussed as one.

Asymptomatic carriers are real, do exist with other viruses and from the data we have at this point, are an important part of the spread of COVID-19.

The window of time in which an asymptomatic carrier can be infectious might be shorter, closer physical contact  might be necessary since the viral load of this person might be lower but don´t discard the risk of meeting an asymptomatic, they are there and unfortunately they don´t know.

Be safe and keep the other safe!

With love 

Your personal molecular biologist

• Like 2