SW_PA_Couple

What A Young Boy Ought To Know.

In order to occupy our minds and hands we've been sorting junk. Found this book in a bookcase. It has a publication date of 1897 and it's foreword was written by several eminent men (I guess eminent women did not exist in the year 1897). It is truly bizarre not only by today's standard but I suspect even by nineteenth century standards. It has advice regarding how to fight the urge to perform "self abuse", the reasons that God wants men to have sex only with women, and the many, many reasons that only married people should have sex. I would like to laugh but I cannot. It is all just too sad. The book apparently belonged to my great grandfather, according to the dedication penciled onto the front leaf by one of his uncles (avuncular advice, for sure).

IMG_0920.JPG

Interesting.  The sad thing is, I'm not sure we've come all that far, you can still find the same books, just with a more modern looking cover.  Bad advice and misconceptions don't have an expiration date I guess.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NC_Seniors said:

It’s still for sale Amazon and free on Google books.

Wow! Just, fucking, wow.

I’ll have to download to see if this is an updated edition.