KinkyKoachNSilverFox

Should bisexuality be considered a sexual orientation?

I want to know your opinion on this question: Is bisexuality a sexual orientation, something that’s temporary or an outgrowth of the sexual fluidity we all exhibit?

Looking forward to all of your insight!

Stephanie & Fox

I've always considered it an orientation.  Some people are, some people aren't, just like men attracted solely to men or women attracted solely to women, so that makes it an orientation to me.  Things get a little more fuzzy when you get into the bicurious zone or doing it just to "put on a show for the guys".  Those I don't really thing could be considered an orientation.

• Like 1

Until one of the women hubby was playing with allowed me to watch and join in, first with him then with her, I not only considered myself straight, I was straight - had no sexual interest in women.  I touched her breasts because I wanted to feel something that was more "normal" than my small tits.  I went down on her because I wanted to reclaim the semen my husband had put inside her.  But I found that I liked a woman's body for its own sake.  Later, another woman, Clair, who is now part of our poly family, gave me not only great sexual experiences but love as well.  After Clair and I had babies around the same time and cared for them together (later Clair, Lora and I repeated the experience) we bonded more closely than we had ever with our men.

My attraction to women, both emotionally and sexually, wasn't a new orientation it was an addition to my strong attraction to men.  I would say it is like being bilingual, one supplements the other, it doesn't create an entirely new entity.

• Like 2

Okay, here I go again . . .

In 1948 Alfred Kinsey and his team postulated that there are seven degrees of sexual orientation, from 'exclusively heterosexual' (level 0) to 'exclusively homosexual (level 6), where an individual from levels 1-5 fit describes just how hermaphroditic they are. (They preferred that term to 'bi-sexual.') There is also a further category 'X' that alludes to people who are asexual.

The original studies, Sexual Behavior in the Human Male (1948) and Sexual Behavior in the Human Female (1953) are great readings, if you like science and statistics. (Guilty!) The Wikipedia articles on 'Kinsey Scale' and 'Kinsey Reports' aren't bad. 

Of course, since then there have been many, many studies that have furthered the research (or muddied the waters, depending on your point of view.) But most of them that I've studied simply come to much the same conclusion - Bisexuality is a part of human nature and should be considered sexual orientation as much as Heterosexuality and Homosexuality.

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 11.02.42 AM.png

• Like 4

If any group should be open minded about sexuality and sexual choices, it should be swingers. Swinging is arguably more outside the “norm” than homosexuality at this point. 

• Like 3

Not saying anyone should do it, just tolerant if other people want to. 

What is it about 21st century America that seems to dictate that damned near every thing and every activity is required to have a label?  Once a label is decided upon then we have to quantify every sub activity as well, such as, is a guy bi if he touches another penis switching places during a 3-some. Is a woman bi if she licks another woman's nipples or is she bi-lite? Then, somebody has to design a ribbon, a flag, and bumper sticker and  we might even have a bi-sexual history month and maybe a museum. Where does it end???

And then there's the flip side, if a woman isn't a bi sexual but is fingered to an orgasm by a bisexual while blindfolded during an orgy does she then get labeled a bisexual or will she  be (gasp), a victim of bisexuality. Then we'll need a whole new flag and bumper sticker and even a hashtag and maybe a congressional investigation.

The 60's had a concept that has been lost over time: if it feels good…..do it! and I would add don't label it, just do it.

• Like 1

"if a woman isn't a bi sexual but is fingered to an orgasm by a bisexual while blindfolded during an orgy does she then get labeled a bisexual"

I'd bet that 97% of the population will never have to consider this.

?? Too bad for them. ?

On and totally agree about the labels.

• Like 1

No labels for me. Just give me a man or a woman i’m attracted to and I’m happy. Definitely a fan of the Kinsey Scale though. 

• Like 1

It's been said that all women are bisexual, unless you buy them something they won't get sexual.

• Haha 4

On 3/25/2020 at 8:52 PM, KinkyKoachNSilverFox said:

I want to know your opinion on this question: Is bisexuality a sexual orientation, something that’s temporary or an outgrowth of the sexual fluidity we all exhibit?

Looking forward to all of your insight!

Stephanie & Fox

Its absolutely a sexual orientation, I've personally used to believe I swung from one end of the spectrum to the other, I was straight till I met the right woman then I lived as a Lesbian, but in the end I can have a meaningful relationship with both men or women so I went back to identifying as a bisexual.  I enjoy both men and women sexually, and I have had meaningful relationships with both men and women.  I believe I could be happy with either sex as I have been happy with either at different times in my life.