ready_to_learn

Are there many Christian swingers out there?

but I was wondering if there are many Christian swingers out there. Since it basically goes against everything that the religion tells you but it's not like we all listen to all the rules all the time...
Should you return someday,ready_to_learn... the answer is obviously Yes. There are many denominations out there in the swinging lifestyle. I can say, in the last few years I personally have met all kinds with different beliefs and even different levels of their own beliefs. It takes all kinds, to make a better world.

fun4ds

Guest rdy46227
I have to strongly disagree with you. My summary isn't one that completely dismissed rules and/or laws. What I offered was a different way to read the Bible. Jesus understood this, and which is why He didn't hesitate to BREAK the law in multiple circumstances. The rules and laws were meant to help us keep a healthy relationship with God/People.

I would venture to say that staunch fundamentalists only see the Bible as black and white, but usually they dont really feel that way if you sit down and have a conversation with them. At least, that has been my experience.

Forgive me for misunderstanding you, but I wasn't trying to discuss your comments.

I thought selvin was using a post of yours

To break it down very basically, contrary to popular belief and practice, the Bible is NOT a book of rules to be followed (well, not anymore at least). This legalistic approach to faith leads only into a vicious downward spiral. Instead of reading the Bible like the Bill of Rights, read it like a narrative. A story that in the end teaches about relationships - relations with God, relations with others, and relations with ourselves.
to ask about any organized groups that
  1. Do not believe they are bound by any commandment in the Bible, and
  2. Consider the Bible to be solely wisdom literature, containing myths and fables and proverbs, etc.

This is not to say that people in such groups do not have morals/a code of conduct which overlaps Biblical teachings -- only that when they do something, they are not doing because God said "do it or else".

I've yet to meet a religious group that did not have some "bottom line" set of rules (found somewhere in the Bible or other sacred literature), which they insisted must be followed by their members.

Your postings, WhatIsTruth, are another separate subject.

Also, please note that I've tried not to express my personal opinion in this discussion, but only supply leads and information for people who want to do research.

Frankly, I think that the real bible thumping christians take themselves too seriously to be swingers. This lifestyle is about fun and I just don't have a whole lot of fun around people who constantly quote a book that is a compilation of fables used to support a myth. Im not a believer but I do talk to jesus every time I get a blow job. Perhaps that makes me a situational christian?

I have to strongly disagree with you. My summary isn't one that completely dismissed rules and/or laws. What I offered was a different way to read the Bible. Jesus understood this, and which is why He didn't hesitate to BREAK the law in multiple circumstances. The rules and laws were meant to help us keep a healthy relationship with God/People.

I would venture to say that staunch fundamentalists only see the Bible as black and white, but usually they dont really feel that way if you sit down and have a conversation with them. At least, that has been my experience.

I really appreciate your learned additions to this thread, WhatisTruth. However, I have to say that I get nervous when people tell me what Jesus meant by what he said or, in your case, what he understood.

We are no more privy to Jesus' thoughts than anyone else. We can only speculate.

Alura

Frankly, I think that the real bible thumping christians take themselves too seriously to be swingers. This lifestyle is about fun and I just don't have a whole lot of fun around people who constantly quote a book that is a compilation of fables used to support a myth. Im not a believer but I do talk to jesus every time I get a blow job. Perhaps that makes me a situational christian?

I think that makes you a Blowjobee, Padoc! :)

Alura

I really appreciate your learned additions to this thread, WhatisTruth. However, I have to say that I get nervous when people tell me what Jesus meant by what he said or, in your case, what he understood.

We are no more privy to Jesus' thoughts than anyone else. We can only speculate.

Alura

I see what you are getting at, and accept your criticism. I simply respond by stating that while we may not know 100%, we can make observations and gather evidence to support our conclusions. If the conclusions presented make you nervous, you are welcome to ask for clarification, seek out other peoples conclusions, or gather evidence and make some conclusions yourself. :)

..., or gather evidence and make some conclusions yourself. :)

And so I did ... a half century ago. :)

Alura

And so I did ... a half century ago. :)

Alura

Do you not consider then the arguments and evidence that have presented themselves in the past 50 years?

Do you not consider then the arguments and evidence that have presented themselves in the past 50 years?

Indeed I have. I firmly believe that the churches of today haven't an ounce of understanding of what Jesus was trying to teach the world. Most would be more properly called "Paulists," not "Christians."

Alura

Indeed I have. I firmly believe that the churches of today haven't an ounce of understanding of what Jesus was trying to teach the world. Most would be more properly called "Paulists," not "Christians."

Alura

Not only do I agree, but I would be a bit more critical and harsh than that. I have hope though...I have started to see alot of hope coming. A soft, but strong shift in the cultural mileu within some circles. I think alot of people like Shane Claiborne, Donald Miller, Leroy Barber, and Tony Campolo have started changing things...

Not only do I agree, but I would be a bit more critical and harsh than that. I have hope though...I have started to see alot of hope coming. A soft, but strong shift in the cultural mileu within some circles. I think alot of people like Shane Claiborne, Donald Miller, Leroy Barber, and Tony Campolo have started changing things...

Perhaps. But as long as we have Oral and Richard Roberts and their ilk, not to mention the hierarchy of the Catholic Church who seem more interested in keeping bad publicity to a minimum than in stopping child abuse being perpetrated by "holy men," they face a long, uphill struggle.

I'll take Mother Earth and Father Sky any time!

Alura

Perhaps. But as long as we have Oral and Richard Roberts and their ilk, not to mention the hierarchy of the Catholic Church who seem more interested in keeping bad publicity to a minimum than in stopping child abuse being perpetrated by "holy men," they face a long, uphill struggle.

I'll take Mother Earth and Father Sky any time!

Alura

I can most definitely name more people who are tearing Christianity down then building it up. But I have to disagree with you about the Catholic Church. There are A LOT of things and people wrong with it, but I can't generalize it to the entire faith. Especially since some amazing things and people and have been produced through it. Just like Judaism, Mormonism, Methodists or Baptists, I will take it one person at a time.

You're absolutely right, WhatisTruth. Whenever one generalizes he is likely to be wrong to some extent. Kudos to you for having such a positive attitude.

Alura