MoonLightKiss

Racist Friends

My view: Violence as a last resort, verbal retort and ostracism as a preferred alternative.

2Jersey, I'm curious how you would have handled that same situation. You've regurgitated a lot of legal advice, chastised us about our comments, yet you've offered no solution to the situation.

I can't tell you for sure how I would handle it, because I've not ever been in that type of situation before. In fact, I couldn't tell you unless I was face to face with it in my own front room.

Maybe MLK thought this was her last resort? I believe MLK attempted to deescalate the situation by privately asking the offender to leave. The offender escalated the situation by again, yelling out racial slurs against the guests and the hostess and also by refusing to leave. Have you encountered this exact scenario and you know how to handle the situation better?

I really think it's unfair of you to say how wrong MLK and the rest of us are without experiencing this first hand yourself.

I also resent the "slugger" remark. VERY uncalled for and very poor taste.

we have zero tolerance for the aggressor.

I work in law enforcement myself and believe me, we would rather verbally deescalate any situation rather than have it come to blows. If that was too vague, let me reiterate by saying I DO NOT CONDONE VIOLENCE!

I also view Janet as the aggressor. She started this with her verbal attack, did she not? :confused:

I like this one!

LOL. As in a fly buzzing round your head when you're eating al-fresco. It ain't life threatening and we sure as hell ain't gonna eat it, but "hand me that rolled up newspaper anyway". :lol:

sereneiders, I know English is a problem for you - perhaps you should read more carefully and attempt to write more succinctly and with greater brevity? (rhetorical question)

You may not hit with your fists, but you pack one hell of a whoop with your words. :mad:

I'm not sure a personal attack was nessesary here. No one attacked you personaly that I could see. We just have a differing opinion then you perhaps that pissed you off.

Kinda like MLK was pissed off, and you stricked out.

You had to use words here. but It was a strick just the same.

Verbal abuse is just as damaging as physical.

Prettylady

To me Moonlight had no other choice. What was she to do Nag 'em to death? Ostracize 'em in her own house, eating her food, drinking her beer and disinvited, at that?

They were asked to leave, Mrs. Guest escalated the situation by running her yap. The only other thing that could have been done was tell the spouse(s) (his and yours), if one of them didnt help her out the door you were going to. No takers, then all bets are off. I mean, hell, if you can't (or won't) stand up for your principles and values IN YOUR OWN HOME, where else will you?

You solved the problem quickly and effectively. You showed everyone your personal values and how deeply you believe. Hold your head high, you did good. There is a time and place for violence, without it we wouldn't be able to enjoy freedom as we do!

Respectfully,

Slugger :D

I also resent the "slugger" remark. VERY uncalled for and very poor taste.

:lol: Oops, I forgot how sensitive some of you are to labeling. Gonna try and hit me?

Violence is awful. Violence is scary. Violence is sometimes, though, the best recourse.

If you were living in the middle of nowhere with bandits at your door and you knew when they broke in they would kill you and rape and murder your wife and daughters which 4 would you wish you had staying over that night:

Jesus, Ghandi, Krishna and Buddha?

or

Ghengis, Attila, Conan and Boadicea?

Verbal abuse is just as damaging as physical.

Prettylady

It has been my experience that verbal abuse is actually worse than physical on many levels. I have been physically abused and verbally abused by my ex. A black eye, a busted lip, a bruise on the arm from being grabbed...those heal in a matter of days, maybe a couple of weeks. Its the verbal abuse that scars the soul and takes months even years to heal. It eats away at your self esteem and confidence. And neither of those things are easy to fix. An abuser who knows how to keep someone under their control will eat away at the self esteem before ever laying a hand on someone. Because they know, once you have them convinced they cannot live without you, they probably won't leave if you hit them. Just my opinion though.

As far as the topic at hand, I originally posted this in the Whiners, Moaners, & Groaners pitstop. Julie wanted to move it here, as it had an impact on life in general and it might get more attention. I still believe it was a good idea, but had I known that this post would be cause for mud slinging and personal attacks I would have kept it to myself. So I apologize to everyone here for even bringing it up. I never would have had I known that objectivity would have been lost and personal attacks would ensue. In the future, I will make sure to not post on controversial topics such as this. So at the risk of using a cliche` "Can't we all get along now?"

So, let me get this straight. Because at this moment, I am confused. You say that the problem is the misbehavior. And that I shouldn't ALLOW this to fall into a discussion of racial topics? Could you please explain how this in not race related? The entire behavior from this woman was about racial slurs. The entire reason she was asked to leave was because of the racial slurs. The entire reason for her getting shown the door was because of racial slurs. Had it not been for the racial slurs, she would not have been shown the door. So explain to me how this doesn't fall under a racial topic.

I am sorry, this is one of those topics where I find hard to express myself in English as easily as I can do in Spanish.

You're right, this situation was started because of the racial issue. And I agree with you, I don't tolerate racism, and probabily if I were in the same situation, I would be doing the same you did... with no regrets. You cannot be blamed for what happend.

I stated in the previous post I understand there's just one mistake from you, here, and it comes from the fact that this lady is your husband's friend wife, so it seems reasonable to let your husband deal with the problem, and this may be the cause of the anger or the odd feelings from your husband. But, we also should consider that your husband's friend could have reacted the same way her wife did, turning this into a male's fight, even more violent, that for sure would spoil whatever chance this friendship have to come to a term.

So, not allways what seems to be ideally right, turns to be the right thing to do. I can correlate this with some situations where my wife dealt with a situation herself that I believe I should have dealt with, but I also know she did it by knowing my reaction could lead to an even worst scenario (for example, at the SW club with some umpolite guy).

In the other hand, its easy to critisize your football team mistakes AFTER the game, once knowing the outcome for those "mistakes", and it isn't the same when you're in the middle of the field trying to control the ball. In this sense, what I am doing here, pointing out a "mistake", could be wrong.

So, I hope this helps clarify my feelings about this and about racism, as to clear the table and get back to what I meant to say.

Let's suppose this lady, instead of making racist comments, was getting gross and bold with some other guest, for example, because of her overweight, to the point of making her unconfortable. So, you do the same you did, ask her to leave, she says no, and you end kicking her out. You love this other guest, you know how this was hurting her feelings really bad, you know she knew that you know about this, so she may expect you to take a position before she's the one having a violent reaction, so you end up doing EXACTLY the same you did here, with EXACTLY the same outcome.

Now, what would be discussed in this thread? Overweight problems and narrowed minded people intolerance to fat people? And notice I included the "overweight problems" here, wich in my analogy could be correlatad to the idea of "the problem of having a different skin color".

I believe that in my supposed scenario, everyone would agree the problem is exclusively about this lady missbehavior. However, overweight problems doesn't turn to be a social open wound as the racism is, and when we touch this wound, we trend to end up talking about it and the pain from the wound... and IMO, this doesn't help the wound to close, and morevoer, risks it to get even more sore.

So, what I meant when I said you shouldn't ALLOW this to fall into the racial topic, it is because, IMO, there's nothing to discuss about this topic, YOUR HEART AND YOUR VALUES ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE HERE, and by discussing the racial topic (not only here, among your friends as the actual outcome from what happend) you'd be allowing the weight to be shifted from the real problem onto the wound. It's seems like you were having to appologize for your values, and I feel they could be undermined (not for you, but for some of your friends), and this is something you shouldn't allow to happen.

So, I am not talking about the past, nor judging your reaction, but about the future and the problems you're dealing with right now, and trying to avoid adding fire to this situation. For everyone around you, this should be read as "now you know, I wont tolerate people missbehaving in my place in a way that could hurt my friends feelings, and if I have to kick them out, I may... disregarding HOW or because of WHAT my friends feelings are being hurt".

You were pushed into a bad situation, you did what came from your heart, and I am sure you didn't foresight this could evolve the way it did. Moreover, I am sure no one could foresight a guest not wanting to leave once the host ask her to, which turned a bas situation into a worst, unexpected one, giving you no chance to deal with it the way you WANT, but the only way you CAN.

You cannot be blamed from this, and you don't have to appologize. I am also sure you learn to expect what by common sense you wouldn't in a similar situation in the future.... IF you ever have the chance to cross your path again with some crazy bitch like this one.

Huh? I thought this was a discussion of the merits of hitting a person who provoked your anger with vulgar and offensive racial language.

My view: Violence as a last resort, verbal retort and ostracism as a preferred alternative.

sereneiders, I know English is a problem for you - perhaps you should read more carefully and attempt to write more succinctly and with greater brevity? (rhetorical question)

Ok. I'll do my best:

I think this shoukd be discussion of the merits of hitting a person who provoked your anger with vulgar and offensive language. Period.

1) If someone provoke you anger enough, it will reach the point where you'll react with the same violence that is being impossed to you. It isn't a matter of merits, you may be enlighted with a sharp tonge and route your anger with words, if anger enough to deprive those words from the meant effect, you'd end up hitting this person. From this lady behavior, it seems this was unavoidable.

2) Notice I didn't talk about "offensive racial language", the racial issue isn't the problem here, and it shouldn't be.

Succinctly enough? If not... then read my previous post :lol:

I am sorry, this is one of those topics where I find hard to express myself in English as easily as I can do in Spanish.

You did a much much better job the second time around. :)

You are correct - you could insert the word "fat ass" for "nigger" and we might be having the same argument. Someone's feels insulted - and someone ends up getting hit.

I've made my point (countless times). One last time - I don't believe it is appropriate to escalate a battle from name calling to violence - unless the name calling incorporates an implied physical threat.

:kissface:

Julie wanted to move it here, as it had an impact on life in general and it might get more attention. I still believe it was a good idea, but had I known that this post would be cause for mud slinging and personal attacks I would have kept it to myself. So I apologize to everyone here for even bringing it up. I never would have had I known that objectivity would have been lost and personal attacks would ensue. In the future, I will make sure to not post on controversial topics such as this. So at the risk of using a cliche` "Can't we all get along now?"

Don't be silly! This is a great thread. Julie was right. You should have shared it with us. I don't think there was sufficient mudslinging to worry about. Hopefully, this discussion is more helpful to you, and others and that help out weighs any damage by any perceived personal attack. It looks as though it takes more than that to fluster sereneiders. :claps:

Huh? I thought this was a discussion of the merits of hitting a person who provoked your anger with vulgar and offensive racial language.

Nope, this was a discussion about racism, that you keep trying to turn into a discussion of violence. You keep beating the same dead horse. She slapped the woman (out of character for her she stated). You made your point. We heard your point (or read, whatever). Not everyone agrees with your point, but no one is attacking you. Why not drop the subject? Or are you trying to beat us over the head with your point?

Jan

Sorry, but people who beat dead horses strike a real nerve with me. I can't stand animal cruelty.

Is everyone on PMS this week, or am I the only one?

It seems everyone, including myself, are hyper sensitive lol.

Okay, drinks at my house!

I forgot how to get there... Do I turn right or left at the yellow house? ::P:

Right, you remember from last night, don't you?

facelick

Oh yeah!! Momentary brain-fart. :)

Originally Posted by ShellyM

Google maps says it's almost 3000 kms to your house. SLS says it's almost 1500 miles. Whichever is right, it's too far! Bummer.

Nope, this was a discussion about racism, that you keep trying to turn into a discussion of violence. You keep beating the same dead horse. She slapped the woman (out of character for her she stated). You made your point. We heard your point (or read, whatever). Not everyone agrees with your point, but no one is attacking you. Why not drop the subject? Or are you trying to beat us over the head with your point?

Jan

Sorry, but people who beat dead horses strike a real nerve with me. I can't stand animal cruelty.

I am defiantly unapologetic for being against the use of violence to resolve verbal arguments. I could be the most devout anti-racist in the world, and the views I have expressed would not change one bit.

You are entitled to disagree with me. But please don't pretend you are staking out high moral ground. :nono:

You singled me out for criticism. I guess that is not a personal attack according to your rules. Not that I care what you think.

jimnjan,

However the thread started, it became a discussion about when you are or are not entitled to get physical with someone. The race thread was lost a long post ago. :rolleyes:

You did a much much better job the second time around. :)

Thank you, I'll try to keep the peace, then. But I cannot promise...

I've made my point (countless times). One last time - I don't believe it is appropriate to escalate a battle from name calling to violence - unless the name calling incorporates an implied physical threat.

Theoretically, you're right, and I am sure no one disagree. However, life have the bad habit of evolve way beyond our theories.

We're not talking about a theoretical scenario here, but about something that actually happend, and IMO, MoonLightKiss feels pissed off with herself about this PRECISELLY because she seems to share your oppinion... at least in theory, and faced a situation leading her to a point where she doesn't recognize herself.

People can do many hurtfull things to you, but among the worst ones would be to push you over the edge to force you to do something you previously were convinced you wound't do by any mean. This is even worst than being hit, and IMO, MoonLightKiss was the beaten one here. This bitch forced MoonLightKiss to descend to her level, and if we define ourselves and our humanity by means of our values, then this bitch dehumanized her. Her soul was beaten.

Telling her she should have done what she already thought she would do in an extreme situtation, after being forced to do what she tought she wouldn't, doesn't seems to help.

You hate violence, you made your point about this. But what you're doing here, IMO, is punishing her (after being beaten) and depriving her from the chance to heal her wounds. This is also violence, and if I were in her shoes, I would preffer you to give me a punch before this.

I am pretty sure she understand what she did and the consecuences, she's sufering because of this, and now what she need is to understand that sometimes shit happens, and you can't avoid it (even when someone else, in his/her own shoes, could be able to... at least theoretically).

My guts tells me she needs to forgive herself, to reconciliate with the Universe, and, for what it worths, being a little, insignificant grain of sand in this desert, I am attempting to tell her that I forgive her, that there's nothing to forgive giving the circumstances.

Why you cannot step down from your high moral grounds and be symphatetic and... well... human, with all the flaws we human have, and she's suffering?

Sereneiders, thank you so very much for your kind words. I appreciate the fact that I finally feel someone gets it. You put it more eloquently than I was prepared to do.

But please, don't misunderstand. While I believe that my actions were wrong, I am also not sitting here beating myself up over it, nor am I letting anyone else beat me up over it. I did it, its wrong, its over, can't be changed, and you are right, shit happens. Right or wrong, it does happen. I am capable of admitting not only to myself, but to everyone else, I AM HUMAN. I make mistakes. I have flaws. I do things sometimes I later regret. I also learn from them. I have enough confidence in myself to not let myself feel punished by opinions of others no matter how they are expressed, but I do thank you for your defending of my personal feelings. It is wonderfully sweet. :kissface:

It is very common for aggressors in these cases to be sorry, to beg for forgiveness and to genuinely believe they will never resort to violence again. Unfortunately, a person who uses violence to cope with his feelings will rarely stop without help. Many will seek counseling, often required by the court presiding over the battery case. Something to consider if this becomes an ongoing issue - hopefully not.

We absolutely agree you needed to confront the woman making the statements. Would we have handled it the same, NO. I (female) would have called her out on her statements in front of the others present. I would have told her I was uncomfortable with her statements and see what her reaction was. I would allow the group to become involved in verbally dealing with this woman. I would have also told her that if she continued to spew comments that were making myself uncomfortable (never speak for others) I would have to ask her to leave.

Yes I would have been pissed at her. In fact I might have even escalated to saying a few verbal insults at her but becoming physically violent, NO.

I agree with a previous poster who said:

It only made you look bad in the eyes of your friends and brought you down to Janet's level of inapproriate behavior. Some of your friends may now view you as a person who has a violent temper, the friend who will slap people when she doesn't like what they say or do.

She wasn't "calling you out" in her verbal comments, she wasn't threating you in any way. She was just plain rude and insulting.

You have said you know it was wrong and you feel bad for that. Maybe you should look at why this triggered a violent reaction in you? (and sorry I don't buy as some others have that what she said was sufficient cause and I am not sure you do either) Is there a past issue this brought up that brought out physical violence? I am sure sure if it was discussed but is there any history of you using any physical violence in the past, in any situation? Yes people are always apologetic after a violent incident, but you can learn from this and change the behavior.

Damn! How'd I miss this thread?

Your situation reminds me of a situation that happened when Drew and I were not married (engaged), and were visiting some of his friends. We were playing cards, and one of the men at the table made a comment about the song "O-P-P" because the man was from Opp, AL. One of my husband's friends asked who sang the song and the guy replied that a bunch of niggers sang it. You could have heard a pin drop. I sat there with my mouth open, and Drew didn't say a word. I was so incredibly hurt, not because this knuckle-dragger had said what he thought, but because the man who was going to be my husband in a few months had said nothing when I was in his environment, among his friends.

I applaud you for not sitting idly by while your guests were subjected to these hurtful insults in your home. And while it would have been best to handle the situation without popping her in the mouth, I think the talk of getting counseling, etc. is a bit of a stretch. It's like saying that if you've gotten drunk before, you're an alcoholic and need help.

I'm sure you've learned a lot from the situation, and that's the good part.

Pepper

In some other post I stated humanity, the human behavior, is lead by our culture, and in this sense it departs from the one relying in instinct and biology to become into something artificial.

The culture, deppending on our time and society, set the standards for what's right and wrong inside this artificial behavior, and as I said before, those standards are the values defining us as human beings.

As for today, we gave value to our intellect, intellectual related thus is often preferred over physical ones, and this turn into a paradigm by means of which we end up thinking the violence, intelectualized with words, isn't violence at all, while physical violence is.

The fact is, violence exists, it's over there, it's in the nature, in our biology, and we prettend we're "better", fitting the current humanity definition, if we're able to canalize violence intellectually, trough words, insthead of hitting someone physically.

The term we should be using here isn't violence, it is agression, which involves violence but it isn't limited to it.

The violence provoke a violent reaction, it's unavoidable. Even Ghandi reaction was, even when in an intellectual way, violent towards the stablishment standards.

This lady was agressive, for free or for whatever problem she has, and the violent component of this agression called for the violent reaction. Those who say they would be doing something else, like verbally confrongting her, are compelled by the paradigm to believe thos wouldn't be a violent reaction, even when it would.

Every one of us leads with the problems (in this case, with agression and violence) with the resources we have at hand, with the skills we developed and were taught to use. Some of us would be more skillful with words, other with our hands, either way we would react.

We cannot ask for a lack of reaction. For example, we may think a lack of reaction would be to avoid confronting this woman, ask this ofended friends to leave insthead, and leave with them, leving your house alone with this lady and the remaining guests... and even so, this would be a violent reaction.

There is no lack of reaction to violence, thus we cannot blame anyone for reacting, nor equalize this reaction with the original action. We should blame this lady for the original action.

Of course, we're talking about something that doesn't lead to permanet damage here.

In this sense, the outcome from the verbal violence could be seen as a damage as soon as it provoke a change to the original behavior, thus someone may say verbal violence is more damaging than slapping someone's face.

So, there's no higher grounds from where to condem actions and reactions here. Since the activity in this board belongs exclusivelly to the intellectual sphere, it's easy to claim here about the benefits of the intellect sphere over the phisical one regarding to violence.

In here, every agression, every violent reaction, is verbalized. Every experience we dump here adopts the shape of a tale, deprived from the strenght the factual, physical world, impose to us. Here, we're trapped by words. MoonLightKiss tale about her experience differs from MoonLightKiss experience, and we suppose we can put ourselves in her shoes as to say how we would have changed the tale... even when we didn't had the experience leading her to her reaction.

I'ts easy to beat the dead horse, the problem is trying to beat it when it's still alive.

“Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. It is a weapon unique in history, which cuts without wounding, and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals”. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

The violence provoke a violent reaction, it's unavoidable. Even Ghandi reaction was, even when in an intellectual way, violent towards the stablishment standards.

This lady was agressive, for free or for whatever problem she has, and the violent component of this agression called for the violent reaction. Those who say they would be doing something else, like verbally confrongting her, are compelled by the paradigm to believe thos wouldn't be a violent reaction, even when it would.

Try that argument with a court of law. :cool::nono:

Violence refers to acts of aggression and abuse which causes or intends to cause criminal injury or harm to persons, and (to a lesser extent) animals and property.1 The term "violence" also connotes an aggressive tendency to act out destructive behaviours. Assault is a crime of violence against another person. In some jurisdictions, assault is used to refer to the actual violence, while in other jurisdictions (e.g. some in the United States, England and Wales), assault refers only to the threat of violence, while the actual violence is battery. Simple assaults do not involve deadly weapons; aggravated assaults often do.

The bottom line is two wrongs don't make a right. God don't you hate when your parents were right. :lol:

Try that argument with a court of law. :cool::nono:

Violence refers to acts of aggression and abuse which causes or intends to cause criminal injury or harm to persons, and (to a lesser extent) animals and property.1 The term "violence" also connotes an aggressive tendency to act out destructive behaviours. Assault is a crime of violence against another person. In some jurisdictions, assault is used to refer to the actual violence, while in other jurisdictions (e.g. some in the United States, England and Wales), assault refers only to the threat of violence, while the actual violence is battery. Simple assaults do not involve deadly weapons; aggravated assaults often do.

The bottom line is two wrongs don't make a right. God don't you hate when your parents were right. :lol:

This isn't a court of law, and we're not talking about a fellony here. Besides, I was talking about a paradigm, and the law is a reflection of this paradigm.

It is obvious that I don't share the definition you gave, which doesn't mean too much. The definition suits a purpose, for example, you may expect the legal definition for some concept to differ from the definition used by researchers in a related field. While we may say a shark use to show a violent behavior, I believe it doesn't fit to say the shark is agressive or mean, the shark violent behavior is it resource to get feed.

Even in a court of law, you will see that a felony have different penalties if it's identified as the original action, or if it's recognized as a provoked reaction. Hence, if MonnLightKiss weren't provoked by this lady and suddenly jumped over her and started a fight to run her away of her place, my argument wouldn't fit.

In any case, you cannot take the words out of it original context, as you're attepting to do here. I provided a context, by saying the standards we have deppends on our time and our society, meaning those standards changed over time, and rest asure, they will keep changing, so we cannot say our standards reached a point where they won't change.

I know for sure that some verbal abuse could be more damaging than some physical abuse, and I also know this argument hardly would work on a court, TODAY, but this is because the law NEEDS to stick to those paradigms, and for sure the law will evolve as the paradigm change.

I am not the judge here, nor this is a trial. This is a conversation started by someone who disliked the way she reacted, understanding it wasn't right (upon our current standards), and we're supposed to express our personal oppinions, which may not correlate with what the law says. Even more, we have the RIGHT to disagree with the law, and this is a requirement for the laws to evolve, because if not, you'd be reminding me of the "eye by eye, hand by hand" law.

It is only such because you made it such with your constant repeat of the same song over and over again. I believe it was originally someone lementing a bad situation. To help you understand this, this thread (and you can see this by looking at the original post title) was originally posted in the "Whiners, Moaners and Groaners" thread. Due to the nature and the number of responses it was getting there (and with permission of the OP) I moved it to its own thread where it has sense (thanks to you) turned into something other than (what I believe was) the original purpose.

Yeah I think we got that already. You can stop repeating yourself now.

Kinda rude don't you think. Perhaps you should learn to stop repeating yourself. And thanks for changing your user title so that we can all be clear that you are here for one reason and that is to provoke (which you are doing quite well, obviously).

Sometimes I think people argue just for the sake of arguing. 2Jers, I bet you were on a debate team at some point in your life. I myself was never good at it...I would have been much like Ron White and considered myself the winner when I ended with, "Oh yeah? Well F*** YOU!"

BTW, my take is that everyone has their limits to verbal assaults before it turns physical. I would lay money down that even you 2Jers has a button that could be pushed. Whether it's dissing your hubby, your mom, your kids, etc. If you believe in the theory of evolution, we all have a point at which our primal instinct takes over and would smack someone to STFU.

Mrs

Sometimes I think people argue just for the sake of arguing. 2Jers, I bet you were on a debate team at some point in your life. I myself was never good at it...I would have been much like Ron White and considered myself the winner when I ended with, "Oh yeah? Well F*** YOU!"

BTW, my take is that everyone has their limits to verbal assaults before it turns physical. I would lay money down that even you 2Jers has a button that could be pushed. Whether it's dissing your hubby, your mom, your kids, etc. If you believe in the theory of evolution, we all have a point at which our primal instinct takes over and would smack someone to STFU.

Mrs

LOL_OMG,

Yeah, I'm pretty adamant about the idea that the world would be a better place if people resolved conflicts with discussion (debate) rather than wars and other forms of physical violence. Personal matters, such as discussed in this thread, are a microcasm of what is going on in the world in general. People want to kill the Pope because he offended them, wars are being fought over race and religion - there doesn't seem to be enough interest in resolving issues in a peaceful manner - everyone loses, IMO.

As you suggest, I can occasionally relate to the emotions which cause people to step over the line - but name calling doesn't do it for me. I've never hit anyone outside of the dojo (neither has my husband). He works for battered women's services in our county, and he is an EMT - he's seen it all and he is not a big fan of people who strike others (except in defense).

As civilized beings, we also abhor racists - but what point is there in discussing racism on this board. Everyone who defends racism raise your hand. - Suddently, It got awfully quiet...

Yeah, I'm pretty adamant about the idea that the world would be a better place if people resolved conflicts with discussion (debate) rather than wars and other forms of physical violence.

I would guess that most on this board would agree, but it's not reality. Hunny I want to know what color the sky is in your world :)

People want to kill the Pope because he offended them, wars are being fought over race and religion - there doesn't seem to be enough interest in resolving issues in a peaceful manner - everyone loses, IMO.

This has been going on for years...someone always wants to kill the Pope!

As civilized beings, we also abhor racists - but what point is there in discussing racism on this board. Everyone who defends racism raise your hand. - Suddently, It got awfully quiet...

What a silly statement ::P:

:hijack:

I love to walk down to the beach with my kids and watch the sun set.

Just the three of us. Hopefully next year Dog will be able to join us more often.

It is the most relaxing thing I can think of to do.

Icecream in hand, my kids sitting so close that their icecream falls on my lap and I get all sticky and the sand sticks to my legs. Ok my calm is being disturbed a little with the idea of being sticky. But the memories are fantastic.

What calms you guys down?

Sunsets, long walks, quiet cuddle near a fire?

Let me know

Your friend,

Prettylady :kissface:

:hijack:

What calms you guys down?

Sweet people like you,

Mr LOL smiling at me ...

Mrs

Excellent hijack prettylady. What calms me down? A good old fashioned sweaty, heart pounding, muscles screaming workout. Pumps out all the toxins, gets the heart rate up, works out those stress kinks, and if you are lucky your workout happened in the bed, so you now have the pleasure of an orgasm or several :lol:

Of course, looking at the new smileys Julie added, beating a dead horse seems to look like a workout. Weilding that stick with both hands, pounding on a lifeless creature, bringing that stick up with all the force you have, just to SLAM it back down onto the dead carcass. That looks promising. Maybe I should try that. :beatdeadh

Then there is the dancing. Dancing is a good workout too...especially if you can incorporate your moves into housecleaning. Double the results, half the effort. :dancing:

You're right, it's abuse of an animal corpse.

Anyway, there is a practical side to beating a dead horse; it tenderizes the meat.

Thrax

Ha I was going to say that :thumbsup:

I figured I might get attacked by irate vegans

Ha I was going to say that :thumbsup:

I figured I might get attacked by irate vegans

And then I'd follow-up with comments on that comment, but I think those sort of things might be better said in the Random Attacks thread.

Thrax

....Kentucky Bourbon and a nice Cohiba :cool:

But I gotta ask-- How does one tenderize a dead horse on the counter using only saran wrap and a mallet. Wouldn't that stir up the 'ol neighborhood rumour pot :D

Hi everybody,

People who will openly engage in that kind of casual cruelty are not just annoying, they are dangerous. Since they have decided that other people are inherently less human than "real white people" all they need is some perceived reason to engage in more physical forms of cruelty.

I stand by my position. That kind of neanderthal gets ejected, Preferably nonviolently, but by whatever means necessary.

Ok there's my contribution to :beatdeadh

Okay, two things:

1: That racist Janet (or whatever her name or pseudonym is) ruined the slogan I was considering: "Thrax -- The Real White Meat, or The Classic White Meat, or something." (Yeah, it needs some work, but it's already better than "There's Always Room for Thrax", considering what the latter implies.)

2: I know that the grayish moving lines behind the smilie horse-beater are the shadow of the stick and his arms going up and down, but did anyone else see that and at first think something was coming out of his butt? Oh. Okay. Nevermind.

:beatdeadh

Hey, I'm just tryin' to keep the discussion at a classy level.

Thrax

I'm surprised at you Thrax! At least you could come up with:

"Thrax...it's what's for dinner"

or

"Got Thrax?"

:EG:

I'm surprised at you Thrax! At least you could come up with:

"Thrax...it's what's for dinner"

or

"Got Thrax?"

:EG:

Well, I guess you didn't know that I used the former in the late 1990s and the latter in the first several years of this century. I look for a change every five years or so, whether it's needed or not.

I must say, though, that the visuals for the Got Thrax? campaign were rather explicit.

Here are some older slogans. It might be my imagination, but I think some advertising companies stole these from me:

Thrax -- keeps going and going and going...

Thrax Inside

Thrax, does a body good

Bring out Thrax and bring out the best

With a name like Thrax it has to be good!

Brilliant!

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

Thrax

Well, I guess you didn't know that I used the former in the late 1990s and the latter in the first several years of this century. I look for a change every five years or so, whether it's needed or not.

I must say, though, that the visuals for the Got Thrax? campaign were rather explicit.

Here are some older slogans. It might be my imagination, but I think some advertising companies stole these from me:

Thrax -- keeps going and going and going...

Thrax Inside

Thrax, does a body good

Bring out Thrax and bring out the best

With a name like Thrax it has to be good!

Brilliant!

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

Thrax

Thrax - Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman. :)

Thrax - Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman. :)
Hmmmmm. As long as that does not promote any unwanted (for me) expectations, then, hey, okay!

Thrax (only in boxes of Breeze)

2: I know that the grayish moving lines behind the smilie horse-beater are the shadow of the stick and his arms going up and down, but did anyone else see that and at first think something was coming out of his butt? Oh. Okay. Nevermind.

I figured that one out, but I got to tell you I thought the guy was wearing a yellow hard hat and thought that was kind of strange.

Looking closer, I think he's just got a big, bald, ugly head.

:beatdeadh

LM