PleaseHelp

Newly Diagnosed HSV2

Trying to figure out what to do from here. We have been in the lifestyle for a decade. Had a recent, and extremely unfortunate, separation. We both had partners (unfortunately, neither one confirmed tests🤦🏻‍♂️), and are now HSV2 positive. We both love the lifestyle but do not know where to turn or if we are just fucked ( no pun). Yes, we are working on us first, but are wondering if there is “life” after this. We will not hide it, we are respectful of others, and we do not wish to risk anyone. Any direction is appreciated (shitty comments will get ya no where… jus sayin)

• Like 1

Hope you see a medical doctor. I understand that anti-viral medications, such as Valtrex, can suppress the symptoms. There are other posters on this site who are far more medically informed than me. Hope they pipe up. 

A great number of swingers ( and the general public) are HSV and HPV positive. We’ve learned that condom usage is not that protective. 

Sorry to hear of this problem. Hopefully, it can be improved through medication. 

• Like 1

The first step is to take a deep breath. HSV2 is quite common. It is a chronic condition, as the virus hides in the nerve ganglia and emerges especially during stress. 

As njbm mentioned, there is treatment and it is quite effective in suppressing the lesions. Valacyclovir, trade name Valtrex. Speak with your physicians. 

This is an infection that millions and millions of people live with. It is much less complicated to live with and treat compared to (for example) HIV. 

You should disclose the condition to potential play partners. So long as you are taking Valtrex and there are neither lesions nor the sensation that a lesion might soon develop (often described as a tingling/burning sensation) your risk of transmitting the virus is very low. 

Edited by Fundamental Law
  • Like 3

Sorry you are having to deal with this, but it sounds like you are approaching it in a mature and reasonable manner.

If it is any comfort, we know someone who found themselves in a similar situation.  After the initial shock wore off, it turned out to be not anywhere even remotely close to the life-altering event initially feared.

• Like 2

What an unfortunate situation. We feel for you.

Obviously, the first thing to do is to partner up with a physician familiar with STIs who can provide you proper medical resources, design an aggressive treatment regimen, and provide behavioral counseling.

Some additional practical advice going forward:

Always presume you are contagious and act accordingly. Asymptomatic persons with HSV2 shed cells roughly once every ten days, meaning you can infect someone regardless of how you "feel". The infection exists in the cells of the skin and the disease can spread even from healthy-appearing skin. People with frequent legions can shed HSV2 cells as often as once every three days. Do not engage in sexual activity with a partner when a legion is present.

The consistent use of latex or polyurethane condoms (both male and female) are a MUST from here on out. Latex or polyurethane condoms provide a physical barrier that prevent skin-to-skin contact and are an essential part of the management of the disease. Studies show consistent use of condoms reduces the risk of STI transmission by upwards of 80%. This is true across the full spectrum of STIs, not just HSV2. Note natural membrane condoms are not effective at preventing STIs.

The use of suppressive medications will reduce the risk of HSV2 transmission, but will never eliminate it. Don't place false confidence in your treatment regimen. According to the CDC, daily suppressive therapy will only reduce the risk of transmission by 70-80%.

You should exercise special caution before engaging in sex with a woman (now called 'person with a vagina' by the ridiculously woke CDC! Lol!) of childbearing years. Although rare, HSV2 can present serious complications for a pregnant woman and her baby.

Lastly, there is the ethical question: Do you continue to engage in sex with multiple partners when you knowingly have the potential to spread a chronic disease? That's something you will have to work out based upon your own ethical/moral compass.

If you haven't yet reviewed the CDC's herpes resources, here's the link: https://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment-guidelines/herpes.htm

Best of luck to you and your partner.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Thank you all for the input. We have been to our physicians, have started treatment, and are very aware on the effects of life this inconvenience has on ours. We have lost “Dear” friends (guess they were not that “Dear”) and have been ostracized in our community. We understand that this is more of an annoyance than a disease (for lack of a better term). It is just frustrating…..we are both honest and will take every precaution if we ever play again. 

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By SlfRighteous1
      We met a great couple and hit it off. We were planning to get together for playtime, and the female half mentioned that she hoped her cold sore went away before then, because it was ugly. WHOA! We told them we weren't comfortable playing with anyone who gets cold sores/fever blisters. Just not willing to take the risk. They both kept trying to convince us that it was okay to play as long as they didn't have active sores. I pointed them to all the info I had, so they would understand why we weren't comfortable with it.

They posted on a local lifestyle message board under another name, asking whether they should tell people. The results? A resounding HELL YES, they should tell people! Now, they are back to posted under their usual user name, and are making dates.

We have other friends who have met these two and really like them, and the possibility is there for play. Do we mention this? If we find out someone has been involved with them sexually, do we just put off playtime to see if it's been transmitted to them? Do we explain why, and risk being called gossips? Or do we just put it off, and potentially hurt feelings by saying "No" to people we've played with and enjoyed many times already. It would just be awkward, but is that better than the alternative?

Any and all advice is appreciated
    • By lnm98
      After a whirlwind first year of swinging, with one couple rather regularly (couple #1-including some separate play), and another couple (couple #2) twice, my wife was diagnosed with herpes and says she will not do it anymore - she is totally done. Everything was great until the diagnosis.

When we found out we were both devastated and I felt guilty. I thought we were done at that point, but even after the diagnosis we went to a party recently with couple #2 and after the party they came to our house and we told them about the diagnosis and we still swung. On top of the herpes issue she is also afraid the other people at the party know about us and doesn't like sneaking around and now she is sure she is done with it and attributes it to drinking too much each time. But during the last year she told me several times when she hadn't had too much to drink that she was just as into it as I was (which was a lot).

I think we both enjoyed our foray into the lifestyle immensely and if she had not gotten herpes and we were smarter and more discreet we would continue with it. It looks like our swinging is dead but I think neither of us really wants it to be - what should I/we do.

Thanks in advance for all the advice I can get.
    • By 50sLady
      Everyone here does know that cold sores or fever blisters in the mouth area means you have herpes HSV1?

Do you disclose to all your potential partners that you have herpes before you kiss them or go down on them?

You could be shedding the virus even if you do not have a sore.
    • By 50sLady
      We are in our late 50s and married for many years.
      Hubby suggested swinging 5 years ago,
      I said, “OK, let’s give it a try.”

It has been a fun, hot, sexy, educational, and life changing experience.
      We really lived the lifestyle.
      We did lifestyle activities most weekends for those 5 years.

Early this year, our swinging lifestyle came to a crashing halt when I found the painful herpes sores on my labia.

Hubby has been great as I knew he would. His words to me were…….That is it. We are done swinging. Don’t worry about it. We will be fine. He made a special point to thank me for giving him the chance to live out his fantasies.

Did we do everything we could to avoid an STD? No, we did not. We made choices that gave us what we wanted from swinging. We knew there were risks, but like most people, we hoped the odds would be in our favor.

Life goes on. I have had no more outbreaks. Fingers are crossed that my immune system keeps the virus dormant.

I must be honest and say that we really miss swinging. We still think like swingers. Swingers do see the world differently, and we still like the view.
      Now we go out to dinner every Saturday night, because that was our main swinging night. It is much too depressing to stay home on a Saturday night for us.

I have been reading this board for all of the 5 years we were swinging but under a different name. I thought I would not want to read here anymore, but I find I can’t stay away.

Once a swinger, always a swinger is true. I can’t think any other way even now.

I hope all of you successfully avoid STDs in the lifestyle.
    • Guest Worried
      By Guest Worried
      I am a registered member but am posting unregistered due to the nature of my problem.

We have been playing with a couple for a year, we talked daily and met up quite regularly. They are much more active in the lifestyle, while we have only been with a few couples. Recently we don't talk or meet up anymore, but when questioned the response is everything is fine.

Well a week ago my husband noticed a rash just under his belly button, we went to the doctor and he said it looks like herpes. We are waiting on blood results now. We haven't been with anyone but this couple in 5 months. From what I've read, the symptoms come about just under a month after being exposed to the virus.

My question is how do we tell this couple that we think they gave him herpes? Part of me thinks they knew already and this is the reason for the "friendship" dwindling. I am terrified and feeling so betrayed because I'm expecting a very negative response along with denial and spreading of this news to everyone.

Any help or advice would be so appreciated.
Ă—
Ă—