The Future of Swinging?

The Future of Swinging?

In my day we actually had to talk to people, we had to meet them in person, we had to use real computers to type them messages on keyboards “Daddy what's a keyboard?” shut up son I'll explain. You see in my day we didn't have holographic meeting devices, we didn't have special machines that tell if your sexually compatible, we didn't have booths were you can get STD tested in seconds, we had to actually meet people and trust them, talk to them, take the chance.

No son we didn't have disease scanning machines, and no at that point the cure for HIV had not been found. We actually had to use condoms back then, yep those balloon things I once mentioned. Things like the male pill / male injection were not mastered until many years later. What did we do, well eerrrr we pulled out just before the vital moment son. Yeah it sucked.

Okay, so you get the idea.

My question is.....

How is swing going to change in the next 50 to 100 years?

If you think about the second world war and how far we have come in such a short time then its got me thinking what the swinging world will be like in another 100 years.

The current climate seems to be that people are becoming more open minded. You know in the 30's you didn't see people walking around with dreadlocks / piercings / loads of tattoos / funny haircuts and now just a single lifetime later attitudes and technology have changed dramatically.

You know its kind of scary, I watched a brief video not long ago and a company in Japan has started making these designer top of the line sex dolls / sex robots that almost look human. In a 100 years time will get a “Unicorn” be as simple as ordering a preprogramed sex robot thing that is virtually human / looks human / fucks virtually the same.

Will have social meets just be done INSTANTLY via holographic technology? You want to meet us, well lets have a virtual meeting now?

How will things work with STD's, would people simply be able to scan someone / would there be instant tests available.

Will swing rise even further in popularity, will we see lots more tools / apps / websites popping up, maybe even more clubs opening. The gay and lesbian community now have Pride, at some point will swingers have something similar.

I look at the youngsters today and simply think in the next few generations swinging will explode in popularity. You know today I see 10 year old walking around with smart phones, see teenagers trying insane things, see children growing up real fast in a much more open minded world than us.

I remember back in my late 20's during some issues with my ex partner I kind of felt jealous or even behind with the times because basically teenagers are having threesomes these days, where my adult girlfriend at the time could hardly even wrap her head round the situation.

You know 50 years ago if you asked someone for a threesome you would probably get a smack in the face and the police called, where now its more a normal thing, becoming more normal. I sometimes imagine that in another 100 years or whatever swinging will be a fairly normal thing, that a LOT MORE couples will be interested.

Lets stab a wild guess that many of us here are “Generation X” born in the 70's and 80's. Well look how much things have changed in our lifetimes.

I sometimes wonder what will change about this lifestyle?

I mean Swingers Board got a new website, whatever next? Maybe they will send me a Unicorn?

On 3/5/2020 at 1:15 PM, Sun&Moon said:

You know 50 years ago if you asked someone for a threesome you would probably get a smack in the face and the police called,

Fifty years ago was the tail-end of the Sixties.  Pineapples, Pampas Grass, group sex, and especially 'Key Parties' were everywhere.

• Like 1

I would not at all be surprised if sex androids become readily available. We're getting towards that now. In 100 years, I think it will be common. We might think of it as just another appliance. It won't be something that most homes have, but it will have a stronger niche.  I think perhaps remote sex devices will become more common as well. They might not really catch on big, but for partners that are apart they may become more mainstream of a sex toy, and better developed.

Socially, I think non-monogamy will continue to rise in popularity and acceptance. By some reports, consensual non-monogamy has been tried by 1/5th of the population in the U.S. I think this will rise. It might even be a majority in 100 years. I think non-traditional parenting units will become more common, with FMF and MFM triads becoming more common. I think we'll eventually see some lawsuits about these non-traditional parenting units and the rights thereof. As non-monogamy becomes more common, I think we may start to see a decline in swinger clubs, as people won't need such places to find what they are looking for. In the UK, there's been a mass "die off" of traditional pubs as society has changed. It's possible we may see that with swing clubs as well.

• Like 1

I was there 50 years ago, and threesomes, and swapping and orgies and all the rest were as normal (in a welcoming community) as they are today. And I'm pretty sure they were 'normal' during WWII and the Civil War, and the Revolutionary, etc. The baby-boomers didn't invent sex, and neither did the millennials; we just talked about it more . . .

There does seem to be a lot more “group” dating amongst this latest group of youth and really the next one up.  I often wonder whether it translates into more group sex.  I would have loved to had that going on much earlier in life.

If I had to guess, future relationships, including marriage, will be more nonmonogamous but not necessarily swinging. 

Would have given a entire different meaning to double dating back in high school.

50 years ago in high school my g/f and I would often double date with another couple to the drive in. Sometimes there would be 2 cars and 4 couples There was often a lot of watching and flashing between the  couples and maybe even reaching over the seats for a bit of touching. We had a 5 minute game too where the guys would switch seats and make out with an other girl for 5 minutes or maybe till intermission was over. There was never penetration on these dates, these were catholic school girls but damn! did we ever steam up the windows!. Boomers didn't invent swinging.  I think the modern version was developed by our parents during WWII and later in the 50's during the cold war and that was probably built upon what their grandparents had explored and learned in the 20's.  The developments of the late 20th and now the 21st century  has made access to and participation in swinging (clubs, resorts, websites, etc) way easier than it was in the 20's and 40's or the 50's and 60's. Our parents and grandparents were the greatest generation without doubt. Maybe Boomers could claim the title of the greatest sexual generation. We have brought swinging much closer to mainstream than ever before in America.

• Like 2

Yeah swinging isn't just centuries old, it's millennia old. Anything we can imagine doing in sex was being done before there was written history about it. :)

• Like 1

Worn you are so RIGHT!!!! Without an easy and non latex way of preventing pregnancy, the free love 60's would not have happened. Nor would have the cocaine fueled orgies of the 70's disco era.  Aids slowed everything in the 80's but non monogamous sex started a slow comeback in the 90's and now, it's almost societally acceptable. The advent of the pill set sex and swinging right into the 21st century.

Among large portion of the population, at least in the US, its not going to be accepted.  Religious reasons being the excuse.  among the remainder group sex is likely to increase.  Last autumn ai met a 71 y/o woman who had recently taken it up.  At a new years party I met a fifty something woman, recently widowed who with the guidance of her new BF was embracing swinging.  

Along with this & overlapping I'm seeing increasing number of people experimenting and working out poly relation ships.  Triads being common, but other combinations & connections as relatively stable long term arraignments.  As stable as most modern monogamous marriages in the US.  As pointed out earlier in the thread none of this is new, but it more open and the prevalence may be increasing.

• Like 1

Humans benefit from healthy sexual activity. Orgasms stimulate the body and mind. These claims are backed by science, but (and this is my go-to for any kind of claim) IT MAKES SENSE.

The population of older women has long exceeded men. There are some geographic extremes, such as Russia (total population of 140 million) where there are 11 million more women than men. Think about that. A 50/50 distribution would be 70 million each, men and women. That imbalance puts the split at 75.5 million women and 64.5 million men. One in 7 women is an "extra." Couple that with the horrible history of Russia during Stalin and WWII and the Cold War, and it is remarkable that even an impaired society remains.

Post-menopausal women have been awarded an exalted place in some societies, and modern society appreciates, with varying degrees, the "usefulness" of older women. As employees who always come to work and don't have the demands of sick children or other obligations; as experienced professionals, often with decades of gathering knowledge. This will be controversial--they don't have hormonal swings like they sometimes did in their youth. They provide family support, work place stability.

In my opinion, these women's lives could be improved by healthy sexual activity. I use that term "healthy" to differentiate from what people on this forum know and recognize, I won't detail. Those of us who are older can attest to our relationships being easier, more supportive and "drama-free" than in our youth. 

I would conclude that society would be wise to embrace ways and means to deliver good sex lives to mature women. Part of that may be some kind of decrease in the youth-oriented, shallow picture of beauty we see in the media. Another might be swinging. Another might be polyamory. There might be others.

My mother was 9 years old before women could vote. A Florida law barring women from serving on juries was deemed unconstitutional in 1961. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

I'm not holding my breath and standing on one foot. Maybe someday?

• Like 1

What an interesting question, Sun. I took some time to think about this, so here goes.

Consensual non-monogamy, or the LifeStyle, has been around as long as there have been humans. I have no doubt the real-life characters of the Flintstones and Rubbles swapped occasionally just for fun. Solomon had his concubines. The Romans had orgies. Lord Nelson had a public ménage à trois. Whenever social mores have been accepting, it’s easier to find historical evidence of swapping, hotwifing, etc. Whenever society has clamped down, the behavior has gone underground. But I doubt it absolutely stopped in any society, even the most fundamentalist ones.

So, to ask where The Future of Swinging goes is to ask where our social mores are heading.

Our society took a big hit during the Victorian era (mid 1800's tp early 1900s.) At that time all ‘improper’ behavior was castigated, in England and Europe and in the United States of America and other places around the globe. Then, in the post World War II era, the pendulum began to swing the other way.

First and foremost was the popularity of the automobile. It became relatively easy for girls and boys (and consenting men and women) to get away from prying eyes and do what comes natural. Then came the twin inventions of penicillin and the pill. Once the prevalent diseases of syph and the clap were done away with, and when women could have sex without the fear of becoming pregnant, we were off to the races! Finally, the aura of ‘weird’ sex lost its forbiddeness in the ‘sexual revolution.’ (It wasn’t a revolution, it just crept out of the closet.) The Summer of Love (1967), the Stonewall Riots (1969) and the publication of Cosmopolitan by Helen Gurley Brown beginning in 1965 brought alternative sexual patterns into the sunlight.

So people had it on their mind. The biggest problem facing a married couple that wanted to swap was where to find partners. The process was made much easier with the invention and popularization of the World Wide Web in the late 1990s. With websites acting as hook-up agents, it was now possible to easily find willing partners.

And that brings us to today, and the future.

Social Mores

At this moment, the social mores of this country (USA) and other enlightened societies are conducive to the LifeStyle. Other than your family and close friends, many people who are interested in opening their marriage are no longer much afraid of other people finding out what they do on Saturday night.

Organized Religion has been losing much of its cachet since the 1960s; there are fewer members of the traditional religions, and even Evangelical churches are beginning to attract fewer people. Reliance on the rules of your particular religion is also slipping; as an example, most Roman Catholics in the United States believe in the Pope, but criticize his stance on a celibate priesthood and abortion. In short, religion is a much reduced check on sexual freedom.

The Media is displaying a more and more positive view on alternative lifestyles. Evidence the swinging-based commercials of Slinger, more articles in mainstream magazines and newspapers, and the appearance of swinging in sitcoms and mainstream documentaries.

In all probability over the next twenty-five years the social mores will continue to loosen, and a larger of percentage of committed couples will consider opening their marriage; more will wind up experimenting. Of this, a predictable percentage will make it an on-going hobby.

But . . . if something occurs that tightens the social mores, we might creep back into the woodwork. Impossible? Oh, no. A catastrophe such as a nuclear war or truly devastating pandemic will do the trick. To see just how close we might be to such a situation, watch The Handmaidens Tale or read If This Goes On by Robert A. Heinlein. It could happen, although I think it’s somewhat unlikely.

Disease

Sexually transmitted diseases will have an impact on people’s willingness to swing. Currently we have three to eight common diseases that can really screw you up.

In the 1960s through the 1980s most people didn’t give STDs a second thought. Syphilis and Gonorrhea were the most prevalent at the time, and both could be easily cured by antibiotics.

Then  AIDS and HIV became a real threat in the mid 1980s. (That was a true boom for the condom industry!) Since then, other serious diseases have been added to the mixture.

The fear of disease leads many people to deny themselves extra-marital sex. If cures for the current diseases are found, there will be more swingers. And my prediction is that there will be cures. However, I could be wrong about that, or new diseases could crop up. In my mind, it’s a wash.

Birth Control

At this time there are a number of relatively effective methods of birth control, most of them for use by women. It's likely that a birth control pill or other solution for men will be developed. But improvement in this area won't have much impact on the number of swingers.

Getting together with like-minded individuals.

For most people, particularly newcomers, one of the vexing problems is how to find someone to swing with. There are currently two basic solutions. 

The first is on-line resources such as Adult Friend Finder and SwingLifeStyle. The usefulness of any particular site depends on developing a large number of clients. Over time, this will get better. Imagine the possibilities if SLS and SDC merged? (And hired professional web developers . . .) This will depend upon market and financial considerations that are difficult to predict.

The other is the prevalence of swing clubs. At the current time, there are relatively few operating clubs. Others will open if and only-if it becomes easier and more profitable to do so. If the number of swingers increases as I predict, more clubs will open.

But, one of the restrictions on a swing club is zoning laws and political influence. Few mayors are likely to get behind a new swing club as committed Christians are much more numerous and likely to vote. And zoning laws are predicated on the whims of these voters. However, I predict that at some point in the future, the denial of permits to swing clubs will be tested in the courts, as the discriminatory zoning of blacks was done. If the courts rule that it is unconstitutional to block swing clubs, there will be a large increase of places to have fun.

In that case, I can see market forces that will impact them, just as there are different bars for different crowds. There will be clubs for the young and pretty, some for empty nesters, and all over Florida clubs will be popping up for the elderly. (They’ll open at two for early-bird specials and by 8:00 the action will be long over! The music will be smooth jazz and classic rock.)

Patterns

But one thing that won’t change will be the root patterns of swinging. There will still be foursome swaps, orgies, hotwifing activities. Some people will continue to participate in BDSM and other kinks and perversions. The percentage of people who like each category will probably remain relatively constant,

Of course, it’s possible that someone will invent a new way to put Tab A into Slot B, but I doubt it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Wornsilver said:

Humans benefit from healthy sexual activity. Orgasms stimulate the body and mind. These claims are backed by science, but (and this is my go-to for any kind of claim) IT MAKES SENSE.

I would conclude that society would be wise to embrace ways and means to deliver good sex lives to mature women. Part of that may be some kind of decrease in the youth-oriented, shallow picture of beauty we see in the media. Another might be swinging. Another might be polyamory. There might be others. ...

I see this happening.  When I first experienced swinging back in the 1970s women over 60 were very rare, even over 40 were rare.  I have to accept that as a 66 y/o male I going to meet more women of similar age, but its clear middle aged and younger males are more accepting of sex with a much older woman.  My direct experience maxes out at at age 72, a FWB is 69.  A host for swinger events is a very fit 61 y/o lady.  Met or chatted with others in the 60s & 70s.  They are horny, lubricated, orgasmic, and are aggressively seeking men, or other women, who can give them good sex.  The FWB visits the sex clubs several times a year and has no trouble finding multiple men who are both respectful of her age and experience and happy to engage with her.  I realize this is a very small sample & is not some tidal wave of elderly female sexuality.  Still Its clearly to me a trend that is growing.  To quote a woman in her late fifties whom I met at a recent party.  'When my husband passed I thought it was all over for me.'  Then she told how her new BF introduced her to the LS & she embraced it full on.  I was one of several men she enjoyed that night, using me until I was completely drained.  

• Like 1

When I was a kid, I was promised flying cars...50 years later, no flying cars. Until I get my flying car, I make no predictions...

• Haha 1

On 3/8/2020 at 7:32 PM, GMOFLEISURE said:

Among large portion of the population, at least in the US, its not going to be accepted.  Religious reasons being the excuse...

As someone pointed out in another post, the conservative religious types accept adultery, but not swinging even though there is no betrayal.  The former is acknowledged as wrong between the parties, while the latter accepts the nonmonogamy.

10 or more years ago, I thought the "Free the nipple" movement will make the LS more mainstream and acceptable. But now there is a great setback with the alliance of the left and medieval religious forces..."Woke" and the "#metoo" movements! Suddenly showing off more skin became super bad! ?