ga_cpl_frknit

Toilet Paper: Over or Under?

Does the toilet paper go over or under the roll??  

598 members have voted

1. 1. Does the toilet paper go over or under the roll??

• Duh!!! It goes OVER the roll.
    • Duh!!! It goes UNDER the roll.
    • What's it matter as long as the paper is there?
    • Just throw it on the back of the tank...no argument then.
    • Huh??? I thought toilet paper was made for decorating trees??

OVER!! Of course!

And it only took 4 or 5 years to train hubby into agreement. He actually even sometimes DOES replace an empty roll. And it never fails, he always MEANT to! :lol:

14 years and counting and I still haven't gotten him trained about seat and lid aesthetics. I suppose that for most fellas the reason of "it just looks better" isn't enough incentive.

:( head bang

The absolutely most thoughtful male I ever heard about not only replaced empty spools and put lids down BUT: when nature called in the middle of the night, this gentleman would quietly close the door between the porcelain throne and the bedroom, he never turned on a light and actually sat down so the sounds were less intrusive.

I am sure this creature must be another urban legend though, and there is undoubtedly a page on snopes.com confirming that.;):rolleyes:

Uneed, that's a great idea! Vertically challenged tp! Then we can ask the age old question about lefties and righties. Another poll? Another poll? ;)

Originally posted by wrnakedru

OVER!! Of course!

And it only took 4 or 5 years to train hubby into agreement. He actually even sometimes DOES replace an empty roll. And it never fails, he always MEANT to! :lol:

14 years and counting and I still haven't gotten him trained about seat and lid aesthetics. I suppose that for most fellas the reason of "it just looks better" isn't enough incentive. :( head bang

The absolutely most thoughtful male I ever heard about not only replaced empty spools and put lids down BUT: when nature called in the middle of the night, this gentleman would quietly close the door between the porcelain throne and the bedroom, he never turned on a light and actually sat down so the sounds were less intrusive.

I am sure this creature must be another urban legend though, and there is undoubtedly a page on snopes.com confirming that.;):rolleyes:

Now, if you are going to insult me, I'm just going to have to leave. Urban legend? No, just 17 years of living with my grandmother, great grandmother, and aunt. So much estrogen animosity and so many hot flashes it was simply easier to do what they want instead of losing argument after argument over something so childishly irrelevant.

Oh, and of course it goes U*N*D*E*R!!!

Definitely over. Accessibility is key in this situation. Besides, under just looks incorrect.

Plus, I squeeze my toothpaste from the front of the tube, I sometimes swig orange juice from the carton, people who leave one cube in the ice tray just to avoid refilling it get on my last nerve, I think that electric lawnmowers are lame and Kevin Costner's projects as a director have robbed me of $8 for the last time.

So there. ::P:

My mom recently got married and I asked her if he was driving her up a wall yet (it's the first time she's had a man living in the house since my brother left in 88). She said that so far the only argument they have had was over the toilet paper. He puts the roll on facing the wall (under) whereas she puts it on facing out (over). They finally decided that their comprimise would be, whoever replaces the roll can put it on the way they prefer.

Ok, I have the answer for this, it should always be over. Mrs. is a random person but after twenty years together I've got her to about 75% of the time over, 25% of the time I have to change it.

I do sit on the toilet when nature calls at night, but it is mainly because I can't seem to hit it when standing in the dark and if I turned the light on it would wake up Mrs. GT and the dog which would lead to putting the dog out and having to actually wake up. The down side to sitting is if you sit down with "morning wood" the water is really cold, and that tends to wake you up right quick too. :eek:

Wow...

We are definitely under..because Mommy always did it that way. Now it just bothers me to see it in the over position.

Before we had kids, I was an "over" person, but after reading that kids waste less toilet paper if it's "under", I switched. Think about it...it's harder to get it going so that it rolls and rolls when pulled on when it's "under". It just tears off instead.

As for the softer issue, my husband won't let me buy it if it isn't soft, and I could care less. (but softer is nicer LOL)

OK I have to admit my guilt I agree with Julie completely... I have went to friends and family houses and switched the roll on them. I don't know if they ever noticed but I have taught my children and husband - Over and under NEVER under and over.

Another problem is the toilet lid down. My husband always leaves the seat down (gotta love him for that one) but my daughter of 9 will always put the lid down too... Lemme tell you nothing worse than that 2 a.m. pee and you didn't see the lid down.

Generally we (roommate and I) put it over just because its easier to grab. However when we had a cat we put it under so it wasn't as easy to unroll.

We do not have a hanger in our bathrooms here, but if we did, it would be over! We have a little basket hanger and it holds 6 rolls so if we run out and it is not replaced, someones ass is getting kicked! :D

Check into ANY hotel/motel anywhere in the world and you will find the toilet paper "over"!! What do they know that we don't? LOL

I don't know what is wrong with you freaks :D The toilet paper clearly has to go under the roll.

It's either way for us, but with pets in the house, under seems to work out better. I agree with those who are just pleased to have tp in the bathroom when needed.

We've no children, but one of my friends has three boys. Her boys have many friends who are always around. My friend learned her lesson and embroidered a lovely little sign to put in the family room bathroom that reads "My aim is to have a clean bathroom. Your aim is greatly appreciated." :)

LOL...ok...we have this tiny person in the house...we call her the toilet paper fairy. You see, she is the ONLY one who even puts paper on the roll...so...since I seem to be the fairy of the house...it goes over...but I'm ok with under as well. I don't waste a lot of time worrying over the little things...lol I just wish Mr Piney could figure out how to unhook the empty roll...giggle :lol:

Under?!?!? :eek: Personally I think you're nuts if you put it under :nono: It's just way easier to grab if it's over (unless you have the curious pets, then I understand). My household is an over household and always will be but I guess as long as you always do it the same way you're ok, after all there's nothing worse than pawing at the roll for a while only to figure out SOMEONE put it on "backwards" :lol:

One BIG reason to put it under in my house... CATS. :eek: (as themonster says, curious pets)

Ever get to the bathroom to find the ENTIRE roll on the floor... off the cardboard tube? NOT good. :nono:

Found that if I simply turned it around the problem solved itself... so I have to put it under.

Sorry ladies. To me there's proper... then there's practical. :D;)

It must be over. This is one of the few things in the world I am anal about, to the point that I have been guilty of turning other people's toilet paper around before.

Julie -

Too Funny - you sound just like me!! We have a very small, 4 woman office at work. All the girls know my TP fetish, and will switch the TP position in the bathroom, knowing that I will HAVE TO switch it back to the "right" way...

So, I have been known to take the TP back to my office, and stash it in a desk drawer for my personal consumption, until the shenanigans have ceased...

Over for me. And my rationale is that I have broken too many fingernails reaching for it and hitting my nail on the cabinet or wall when the paper is hanging right next to it. Simple. -EBF

I have a picture in my head of you just PUNCHING at the toilet paper to grab it... TOP SPEED WIPER! lol

The cat says under. "'Just can't resist spinning the roll as the tissue cascades down the wall into a heap by the toilet."

Over? "...too hard to do the spin and heap thing. It comes streaming after me as I try to run away on that slippery tile that you guys insisted on because you got it cheap", she complains. (I thought that she LIKED to complain.)

So we put it under every so often, for the sport.

Okay, so someone said that those of us who place the tp on the roll so that we have to pull it from under are crazy. Well, just thought of something...maybe we just have a bit more finger dexterity. Could be a very good thing in certain situations, eh? Just a thought ;)

"The paper should go OVER, not under the roll. It's proper manners."

My thought, for what its worth, is that it is "proper manners" to replace the roll when it runs out. NOT just getting another roll out and balancing it on top of the holder, but actually putting it on the roll!

That being said, I like it better when its OVER, but just replacing it is enough manners for my tastes...

IT IS SO SUPPOSED TO BE UNDER IF YOU HAVE LITTLE KIDS LIKE US (OR CAT AS MENTIONED ABOVE) WHERE THEY JUST SPIN THE THING THINKING IT'S COOL TO LET IT PILE UP ON THE FLOOR!

:nono:

I couldn't vote 'cause Wash beat me to it - and I know he voted for OVER!

I, on the other hand, fully agree with lizandtom - UNDER! We've got 1 kid and 2 cats, and UNDER keeps me from having to roll the durned thing up all the time.

But I'm willing to tolerate ANYTHING, as long as it's somewhere in reach when I need it! ;)

:)

Wow! this is a brain work! let me just think! Hold on why do you keep toilet paper in the washroom? shouldn't that be in the kitchen.

PS: don't get me wrong, I was only joking

I call my better half autistic, because he will literally take the kids into the bathroom to "give them a demonstration" on how to properly put a roll of toilet paper on the roll, you see it has to be over not under. He tried giving me a demo but that didn't go over well. :nono:

I know it belongs OVER the roll, but I voted under since that's the way my wife wants it. No use trying to change that, seems too trivial so I just live with it. Someday I may need to go for therapy but oh well...that's life.

I say it goes over UNLESS you have a cat or small children. Then under... the reason being is that if it is under and the cat or child hits it in a down ward motion then it just flips around with out unrolling the entire roll. Cats will tend to play with it especially after they are declawed.

I never really paid much mind to the over or under so I guess that's why it doesn't matter to me...I'm just peeved with the fact that hubby will use the last of the paper, and doesn't replace it or unwraps a new one but doesn't put it on the roll. :nono:

Ok, I don't think manners has anything to do with it but I think it goes over, for all the reasons already stated, and it does just drive me crazy to have it under. Confession: I have actually switched it from under to over in a friend's home. It's true! I'm a secret toilet paper switcher!

Over the top, is my vote. It seems like it's a GUY thing, from the few replies. Most of the women I know could care less how toilet paper, paper towel, or even plastic wrap hangs. Men have hangings, ergo, over the top & hidden. Women hangings-visible and no matter how they hang ... Beautiful.

I think it rolls better over the top. However, if ever the toilet paper were changed in my house, I might just break down and cry with pure excitement.

Mr. Fun says that if we ever build a house, the bathrooms will all have TWO TP roll holders ... that "just in time" inventory thing. Sounds good in theory; my thought is "great. TWO holders without paper." HAHAHAHA

The hubby and I had the same argument a few years ago. He enlightened me on the proper was to place t.p. on the roll (over), and I retorted by expanding to him that it goes ON the roll not siting on top. We had a good laugh one night at some friends' house when they had the same argument. I believe that at some point every one goes through the t.p. trials and tribulations. Surrender.

Curiosity got the best of me and I looked. One up one down.

I guess I really don't care. So long as there is TP I am happy.

I too have been know to use my kids Kandoo wipes. fresh and clean. Although because they are wet wipes, I still feel as if I didn't wipe at all.

Sometimes, I swear I am OCD. I usually have to have it going over the top.

I noticed this morning however, it's going under. I didn't change it. I was proud of myself for just letting it go and not switching...

Shouldn't I just be glad that there is some on the roll???? ;)

I like it going over but our roll is broken and has been for over 2 years now so the TP just sits on the edge of the sink or the back of the toilet (blush).

It definitely never goes on the back of the tank!! :nono: Never! If it's on the back of the tank someone has to stick contaminated fingers in the cardboard tube to pick it up to get a second helping of TP. UN sanitary. Also remember this when you go into a public restroom and there is a yucky roll of paper towels on the counter that has a wet cardboard tube. Blecccch.

It goes over by the way.

Well according to my past boot camp days it was to be over the top and have one square hanging below. Now that I am out I still prefer over, but as long as it is there when I need it I don't care.

I am new here and wouldn't you know the first topic I feel a burning need to reply to would have to do with toilet paper! (ROFL) This happens to be one of my pet peeves, so much so that if I am at someone's house and the roll is on "wrong" I will switch it. I have to hang with the "over" crowd on this one....by putting the roll on with the paper over the top it "presents" itself neatly to the user. To me it is only logical.

My logic is that when you're standing there with only one free hand, it's pretty difficult to tear off a piece to wipe my :dncdick: with if it's under. Gotta be over for me too.

I guess after 12 yrs of marriage and 15 yrs of motherhood i have learned to pick my battles, I don't care, as long as they replace it. :lol: