morgan78

Is it safe to play in hot tubs?

DH and I have been in the lifestyle for quite a while and always wanted to play in a hot tub but was always worried we would catch something since hot tubs are full of weird things.

My question is there a way to play safe in the tub?

my guess....with the amount of chlorine and heat in a hot tub, there's not much chance of catching anything.

Actually hot tubs are a vast wealth of bacteria..just take your water in to be tested and see what lovely microbes you find. In addition the chemicals in the water act to attact the good bacteria in the vagina...if you have intercourse in the water. Many a vaginal infection was achieved that way until my doctor put us onto the cause.... :)

agree.. hot tub water is not a good playground...and one never know about how clean it is... I know that before we have company over, I nuke the water a few days in advance (over dose the chemicals), just to be on the safe side, and ditto after a weekend of play use.... I would hate a playmate lady telling me she got an infection after being at our place... :mad:

We have played in hot tubs many times...but the wife contracts a yeast infection almost 6 out of 10 times. Well to say we don't play in the hot tub at least inserting anything vaginally.

May was the first time I had ever been in a hot tub. It was fun but the next day I had a horrible case of eczema on my face. I have had very small patches before...but it was never a problem. I went to my Dr. and she gave me this long lecture about hot tubs and how horrible they are. She said that the bacteria count is high and the chemicals are bad for your skin. So...if you have sensitive skin, might want to reconsider. :). Of course I didn't tell her about my activities in the hot tub...wouldn't want to open that can of worms.

This is a very educational thread. I haven't had any trouble so far, but I'll watch out and keep all of this in mind.

The on-premise club we've visited has several hot tubs in one of their areas. They allow playing around in the hot tubs, but anything more needs to be taken elsewhere. I'll bet this is the reason for their rule - what many of you have said here.

Hot tubs are fun foreplay but we don't have any intercourse in them.

1) N gets an infection about half the time we do

2) It's not conducive to good lubrication

We've found intercourse in the hot tub is problematic at best. While we've never had an infection problem, we do find that the water washes away the lubricant, causing sex to be less than fun. Better to dry off and go to bed.

Hot tubs make a great venue for starting play with another couple, but we move to the bedroom for the serious stuff.

• Like 1

Hi,

Having owned and played in hot tubs for over 20 years, my experience is that they are a great place to start, but a lousy place to finish. That's what beds and soft carpets are for. Friction and iritation from lack of lubrication do not make for a good experience. External foreplay is great fun, but save the internal play for after you get out.

I agree with the lack of lubrication. But other than that, I've never had a problem. I actually really enjoy "messing around" in hottubs. However - I'm a foreplay whore...I can participate in making-out and touching and kissing for HOURS, so by the time it's time for sex, I'm usually dehydrated, begging for water, and wanting to get out of the heat.

Never gotten an infection or gotten sick...come to think of it...I don't think I've had a single yeast infection in my life...from anything. So maybe I'm just abnormally super-balanced or something. Or perhaps the obscene amount of yogurt I eat prevent that.

Agree, agree, agree. Hot tubs are for 4-play and for getting started but never had any good sex there 'cause of the lube thing. Great for breaking the ice, so to speak, and great for playing and getting to know the potential partners. We use ours!!!

• Like 1

1970's versions of hot tubs especially those made soley of wood were never safe.

Today's modern hot tubs/spas can be made much safer especially if certain types of ozonator systems are installed.

The vert best are those that have factory ozone chambers that infuse the water from multiple regions of the tub. Ozone once injected into the water has a lifespan that expires immediately upon the gas reaching the surface. This is why you need a good ozone system that constantly dumps ozone into your hot tub/spa. A dealer installed system is good, but not the very best.

However, no amount of ozone is going to help against poor water maintenance which includes not just the use of chemicals but also draining and refilling the spa regularly. To the occassional users, we recommend draining and restarting chemistry about 3-4 months, no longer. The water becomes too easily imbalanced and imbalanced water will not sanitize properly or, hold its ph norm.

Be careful adding too much of the Insparation frangance and moisturizer. A little is wonderful. Smells good, feels good. But, it can lead to a false sense of assuredness that penetration will also be smooth and non drying. Not the case. Thread members that suggest vaginal insertion is not recommended in our opinion are absolutely correct. Even if the bacteria is DOA, the chemistry of a spa is just not the same as the ph of the vaginal tract.

Add to that, users need to clean their filters often. The filter holds EVERYTHING and water passes over and through it all the time. It just makes sense to keep the filter as clear and clean as possible. It is easy to do so.

We offer this information not only as users, but we are also sellers of spas. We have several lifestyle folks that have purchased our spas and they dump their water, clean their filters, and check their chemistry much more often than vanillas. The smart ones enjoy the foreplay and move on to high ground.

• Like 1

Actually hot tubs are a vast wealth of bacteria..just take your water in to be tested and see what lovely microbes you find. In addition the chemicals in the water act to attact the good bacteria in the vagina...if you have intercourse in the water. Many a vaginal infection was achieved that way until my doctor put us onto the cause.... :)

You're absolutely correct. Ask any pool/spa expert... Hot tubs are some of the best breeding grounds for bacteria and, if there are several people in a tub, you can't put enough chemicals in there to keep up with the bacterial growth. 90 to about 110 degrees is the most favorable temperature range for bacterial growth.

So, if anyone in the tub has any hygienic issues at all, you're actually playing in a bacterial soup. Avoid public/hotel hot tubs like the plague! Those signs that say "A Maximum of 6 People in Hot tub"... That's PER DAY! :eek:

The on-premise club we've visited has several hot tubs in one of their areas. They allow playing around in the hot tubs, but anything more needs to be taken elsewhere.

At the Mountain Retreat, there is a sign mounted above the hot tub that reads, "No sex in the fount". This interesting use of the word fount catches everyone's attention and is considerable cause for speculation.

In looking through the forums, I'm seeing posts about hot tub sex. The Mrs. and I are planning a (vanilla) cruise. Does anyone have information on whether sex in a hot tub is safe or not safe?

I've never done any official research, however; we have a hot tub and have sex in or around it all the time. No issues for us... We don't typically finish there though ;)

Safety from being seen is unlikely on a cruise ship. Safety from UTI's and skin ailments kinda depends both on the chemicals used to keep the hot tub bacteria free and your personal predilections. Is that the sort of information you're seeking?

I would not do it on a vanilla cruise. The cruise we were on covered the hot tubs with netting in the late evening, before that there were quite a few people including kids in there. Even if you did find yourselves alone, I would count on getting caught.

At home or a friend's home is usually fine. Using a silicone based lube helps with lubrication. Also check your condom frequently, they tend to slip off in the water.

We usually get in after playing though. Many men have trouble keeping an erection in hot water.

We recently installed a hot tub. It is a terrific ice-breaker and play area. It is 'sunk' into a wooden deck, effectively making it in-ground, which makes it easier to play 'around' as well as 'in' the hot tub.

We were on a nude cruise a few years back and they drained the hot tubs at 10 every night and cleaned them. They didn't refill them till the next morning. This was strictly a nude cruise, not lifestyle, so there was no sex in the tubs.

I was on a Carnival cruise about 3 years ago and they drained the hot tubs and pools every night. Cleaned them too. The nets were used to keep people from falling in an empty pool.

So, no hazards but don't do it on the cruise. Got it. Thank you.

I agree with the trouble keeping it up in the hot water, however if you can it's great. My first g/f after wife's death was into nude hot tubing and got a lot of b/j action there. A doctor friend of mine said the water could be bad for the women, not sure about that.

Guest Pasley

Mr. has no trouble getting an erection but cannot finish while under water. We either change position so our groins are out of the water or move to another place to finish.

I've had sex with a fair few men in hot tubs (maybe 20-40?), I can't remember any of them having issues getting or keeping it up. Water is like lube, so I don't understand how sex in a hot tub can cause discomfort, I mean every man I've been with has slipped right in, except for the well-endowed guys.

Condoms work well, I don't think I've had any slips etc. I think sex in water does make men stay hard for longer though, especially if using condoms.

As for safety vs STD's, from my experience men tend to think more with their dicks than their brains. It is like you're together kissing, bodies rubbing, feeling each other, they are rubbing their length or knob against you wanting to enter, then you can feel them trying to nudge themselves inside without a condom. Probably half of the men I've been in hot tubs with have tried doing that. We are fine not using condoms with friends but not with total strangers.

I never allow men to cum during sex with me in a hot tub (unless it is in a condom). If I can sense or he tells me he is about to cum then I kind of politely push him away then ask him where does he want to finish, normally they sit on the ledge for a blowjob or we go to a room.

• Like 1

Sex in a hot tub while using a condom? That's a new notion for me. If the opportunity arises, I'll have to try it this way.

Sex in a hot tub I have never had, actually. Sex in a swimming pool, yes, many times. I can confirm your observation. Slips in really easily while under water. And the buoyancy makes for interesting new positions and stuff. I guess I'm trusting on the pool chemicals to kill the zoomies.

Hot tub sex a yes or no for you?

We have done it, both with each other and with play partners.  Not nearly as often as pool sex though.  We do notice more lubrication issues in the hot tub than in a pool. So we usually take a hybrid approach now with her vagina up out of the water while bent over the edge of the hot tub with her legs still in or some variation like that.

Posted (edited)

I have been to swingers hot tub and had no issues as long as people aren't fuking in them. I recently went to a swingers resort in Orlando for an event. Mind you I haven't had sex in over a year and 6 months. I was tested 2x since my last sexual encounter and didn't participate during the event bc i was part of the event for the evening. 

I used the hot tub and as the night went on people started fucking in it. I was having no symptoms but I went to get tested anyways bc I had heard you can get other icky shit from swingers club hot tubs...guess who popped for chlamydia? First time in 14 years. So if people are fucking in the tub do not go in. I didn't even know this was possible bc everything online says it's not. I work from home and hardly have human contact in general and yet somehow after 1.5 yrs of being completely abstinate, I took 1 dip in a public swingers resort hot tub and got chlamydia. I'm livid. I'm SO careful with my body. I get tested before and after every partner. I make sure my partners are also tested regularly. Imagine my confusion when I got my results. I'm living proof you can get an sti from a hot tub if people are fucking in it. 

Edited by POMM
Typo
  • Sad 1

A hard no (pun intended).

We had a six person hot tub for 11 years.  Loved it.  Great social/warm up/ice breaker.  We normally did not allow clothing (washers leave a lot of soap and softeners when done and dried unless you soak them thoroughly after wash, before use) The chemicals tend to dry skin making things rough.  Makeup melts and washes in the tub water requiring special cleaning and refilling the hot tub.

touching kissing sensual frolicking is fine.  Also unless you like the taste of the chemicals a cool rinse off is highly suggested.

• Like 1

Is a hot tub ever safe? We have a hot tub at the gym that I loved. It was my gift time after a hard workout so relaxing. No sex fluid just sweat. 😩. I wondered how often they cleaned it even though I could smell the chlorine. My mind went in the wrong direction so I stopped using the hot tub. Playing sexually in a public tub never crossed my mind, sex in a private hot tub, a friend’s jacuzzi, six friends naked having drinks is something else. 

Other than one that I or someone I trust very well I am about as likely to to even get into a hot tub as  I am to swim in their toilet. That includes hotels  and clubs. I have made the exception in hotels when the chlorine made my eyes water.