funforall

Linking screen names together

Just a quick question....

Is it a good idea to link screen names together? For example.....your screen name for this board is it the same for SLS, SDC,AFF and ect....

Or, is it better to have them all different in case you meet someone on a site that you don't really care for and if you have the same screen name then they will be able to find you on the other sites?

Our screen name for this site is different than our SLS but we were thinking of changing this one to match that one. Good, bad or indifferent?

Thanks,

funforall

• Like 1

It's a good idea to have the same screen name. But actually making it happen might be pretty hard. On a new site you can claim any name you want. Older sites, alot of the good names have been taken and now you have to start putting numbers after you name to make it unique again.

I prefer simplicity myself. So my screen name here is the same on sls. I tried to make it the same for YIM too, but alas, I ended up having to add a number. ::P:

I'd be interested to hear from the folks who choose separate names for each site . . . doesn't seem more secure to me, so why do it?

=)

Having different names on different sites is kinda a hassle - you have to remember (lol!) We use the same name everywhere - SLS, AFF, hotmail, yahoo, & here. It does make it easier for people who know your handle name to contact you - and overall we think that's a good thing. Haven't been overly pestered by anyone, and several very cool couples have found us because they learned our handle name somewhere and emailed us at hotmail. (For instance, if you are a free member on AFF you can't send an initial email.)

I tend to use different screen names for different venues as a convenient way of keeping things separated. My hobby machinist buddies had a very cold reaction when I asked if anyone had experimented with making their own sex toys. If my screen names were all the same, a quick google search might show them how deviant I really am. And that might not be a comfortable situation. Keeping things sorted out has come in handy too many times to abort that behavior anytime soon. So, yeah, I need a cheatsheet to keep track of my email accounts and passwords - I think of it as discretion in practice.

All of our screen names are the same on all of the sites we are on except for SLS. We had to add a 4u on the end of that one. The main reason we do it that way is because we don't feel like coming up with different names. The other reason is that we go to a lot of parties and it is easier to just give people the one name if they ask what your screen name is on a site.

We try to use the same screen name on other sites but sometimes the name is already taken and we have to create a different one. I haven't noticed that it makes any difference. People including us DO look for the same profiles on other sites. Once we sent a message to a couple on Swappernet and got a response on SLS. They no longer had a paying account on SN and couldn't open our e-mail so they cross checked other sites. Since we have public face pics it's not too hard to find us regardless of whether we use the same screen name or not.

Well, for swinging activities, we use the same one everywhere so that the two of us stay in sync and both know what the other is doing. But for the real world, we have different screen names for each of us.

A lot of people choose a different name on THIS site than they do on the ads sites because they may want more anonymity here to be able to discuss issues they encounter or questions without being linked back to their ads.

I tend to use the same name on any ad site that I use just for ease of use... and as far as someone giving you trouble then finding you elsewhere because your name is the same, you are probably better off that way (especially on a site where you can block them) than if you have a different name and they start all over again with you thinking you are someone new.

A lot of people choose a different name on THIS site than they do on the ads sites because they may want more anonymity here to be able to discuss issues they encounter or questions without being linked back to their ads.

This.

If I had to do it again, this is exactly what I would do.

There are situations that I might like to post about, but really shy away from, since everyone that knows us through Yahoo, SLS, etc, could possibly know exactly who we are discussing. That wouldn't be too cool, and could lead to another Drama thread.

We use the same name here that we use in SLS; however, there have been times when I have not posted something in a forum thread because of it. I suppose there are pros and cons either way.

We both signed up using a screen name that we use on a non-swinger site... and changed our minds about that. We both re-registered with part of our sls name... there we are theboy_thegirl... so, here, he registered theboy and I regiestered thegirl.

We had to add numbers for yahoo as well... LOL

My username here (as well as hotmail, livejournal, SLS, pretty much everything but yahoo) is the same. It used to be the same on Yahoo as well...but I forgot to log on and after a while someone snapped it up (actually a couple of someone's...when I tried to reregister it I would have been sexcupid3 or 4...so piss on that and we are slytherinsevvie on there now..:lol:).

Does it keep me from posting about issues or problems here? Ha! If only...I really try to not post anything I wouldn't mind reading about myself if I could recognize it in a post. I don't mention names (or usernames for the other sites)...but if I have a problem/issue and would like advice, it's getting posted. The thought has crossed my mind as we get more and more friends in the LS to censor myself...but I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm not trying to offend, just trying to work thru something when I post. :surrend:

Does it keep me from posting about issues or problems here? Ha! If only...I really try to not post anything I wouldn't mind reading about myself if I could recognize it in a post. I don't mention names (or usernames for the other sites)...but if I have a problem/issue and would like advice, it's getting posted. The thought has crossed my mind as we get more and more friends in the LS to censor myself...but I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm not trying to offend, just trying to work thru something when I post. :surrend:

:iagree: Same here!

=)

This.

If I had to do it again, this is exactly what I would do.

There are situations that I might like to post about, but really shy away from, since everyone that knows us through Yahoo, SLS, etc, could possibly know exactly who we are discussing. That wouldn't be too cool, and could lead to another Drama thread.

We use the same name here that we use in SLS; however, there have been times when I have not posted something in a forum thread because of it. I suppose there are pros and cons either way.

There are still two other options for those who find themselves in the situation above....

1. Register a second username (you'll just need a second email address)

2. Post anonymously (it's harder to respond to the thread, and your posts have to go through moderation but it's an option). I'm looking into an option that will make it a little easier for anyone to post anonymously while still being logged in for those situations where you want to ask a question but you don't really want your screenname attached to it.

Thanks for all the info.

We decided to keep this name seperate from our others. Just in case we have a question that we don't want our sgreen name attached.

Thanks again for the great advice.