Chris&Amelia

Having a vasectomy, what should I expect?

After much discussion with Amelia, we decided that we do not want kids ever, and I went to get a Vasectomy yesterday.

I went to the Urologists clinic and met the doctor, and we briefly discussed the procedure and the ramifications. He wanted to make sure that we knew what were getting into, and that we both were comfortable with the decision.

After that, I went into the procedure room and disrobed. Amelia waiting in the lounge. The doc came in and performed a no-scalpel vasectomy The actual procedure took about 10 minutes. I didn't feel a thing until the anesthetic they gave me wore off halfway on the drive home. Ever since then it's been a dull throb or pain, a lot like a mild case of "blue balls".

I woke up this morning and I was pretty swollen, but some Tylenol and a cold pack took care of that. Now I just gotta walk around with my package in an athletic supporter (it still hurts when they "bounce").

All in all, it wasn't as nearly as bad as I was led to believe.

When hubby was 27 (same age as I). We decided that we did not want kids. So he went in to the doctor and after a bit of discussion got a date to have the procedure done.

He had everything done (Cut, Separated, Clipped and Burned).

After a few months, I got off the pill (and became a nicer person :evil: ) and we had great fun from then on. :fun:

But still he is covered outside of our personal time together. Can never be too safe. :kiss:

Yeah, we discussed it, and we decided that we were just happy being DINKS (Double Income, No Kids).

I'm still a little sore, but I feel it most when I sit down or get up, or any other pressure is applied to my scrotum. But it's not that bad.

I had one also, It was different, now I like shooting blanks. The nurse was amazed that I got my count to zero so fast, we worked it a couple times every day. I still wear a jacket when not with safe friends, but bareback is great. It was funny after the procedure as I was getting ready to leave the room, the nurse said she would leave the room so I could get dressed, LOLOL I said why, you already watched me getting cut. Still 7 1/2 & working good:claps:

Damn... I just with Tubal Ligation were that easy and nearly painless.... I had a buttload of complications and woke up with a 9 inch PAINFUL, BRUISED incision instead of a small 1/4 laser cut... in bed (no walking because of the "complications") nearly 3 weeks... and PAIN worse than natural (oops, the painkillers wore off) childbirth!

Damn my ex-husband for being a total wuss... grrr. This just proves that if there is a god in this world, it MUST be a man!

It has been three weeks since my Vasectomy, I'm still in pain.

The cutting actually took only about 15 minutes but this was the worse 15 minutes of my life. I felt nothing until he pulled the cord attached to the balls. I still think the doctor messed up, but the pain was so strong I had passed out from the pain.

Good thing it is a one time only thing, cause I would NEVER do it again!

Originally posted by Fadinex

It's been 3 weeks since my Vasectomy, I'm still in pain.

The cutting actually took only about 15 minutes but this was the worse 15 minutes of my life. I felt nothing until he pulled the cord attached to the balls. I still think the doctor messed up, but the pain was so strong I had passed out from the pain.

That's odd. I've known a bunch of men that have had vasectomies, including my husband many years ago, and none have reported real pain three weeks later. You may want to obtain a second opinion. At this point, I don't think I would put it off if it is really pain and not just some very minor discomfort.

It's been 3 weeks since my Vasectomy, I'm still in pain.

This is definitely not a good advert for the procedure. In fact, I still have my legs crossed!

(BTW, I'd seek some medical assistance - ideally from an alternative source to that which conducted your procedure - if you're still in pain nearly a month later)

It has been 3 weeks since my Vasectomy, I'm still in pain.

Hmmm... that's not right. After a week, I felt absolutely fine. I got my procedure done on 11/21, and I don't feel any discomfort at all right now.

Also, the only pain I felt during the actual procedure itself was during the injection of the painkiller.

Was anyone advised to carefully apply some cold packs for awhile after the surgery? I went to Planned Parenthood many moons ago for mine, back in the Depression years :lol:

The only problem I had was been one of eight done on a Friday kinda ASPCA style, and being rushed.

The cold packs would have helped, but I was not advised to do so until it was too late. I was very swollen and painful for about four days but afterwards things got back to normal pretty quickly.

I have never regretted shooting blanks since.

That was a few moons ago during the middle ages. I really had no problem after I got to the icepack routine. I went back to work the next day and had no problems. (no I was NOT a desk jockey either). The only lasting effect is that when viewed from the rear I now resemble a Great Dane. I was low before but I SWANG NOW.

I had my Vas over 20 years ago and I have never regretted it.

The pain was minimal and over in two days. The doctor who did mine told me that I would probably be hornier than before and would have no problem. He also said that some women lose interest afterward. The no excitement thing.

The thing I have never seen posted (which makes me wonder how many fake posts there are) is the wet dreams. The Testes are still making sperm but with the vas blocked there is no where for it to go. So the testes keep sending messages to the brain to flush the system. My wife and I could have wild orgasms and I would still have wet dreams. This lasted for years. I am 50 now and still very horny. If you ask me it is the only way to go.

I had my vasectomy 19 years ago after our 2nd child. We are glad I did. We used condoms for birth control up to that point.

As for the wet dreams, only time I had those was when I stopped masturbating for a while as a teen. It is my understanding that the wet dream is cause by a full gland that holds the semen at the base of the penis and not from the sperm in the testicles. But I could be wrong about that.

Originally posted by Tomswane

The thing I have never seen posted (which makes me wonder how many fake posts there are) is the wet dreams. The Testes are still making sperm but with the vas blocked there is no where for it to go.

Odd. I have yet to experience wet dream or any sort of leakage (well, other then when I'm aroused naturally)

It's been over 20 years since I had my vas done. It was performed in the Urologist's office and it took longer for them to drape me that to do the procedure.

I don't remember pain being a significant factor. My doctor recommended I stay off my feet for a couple of days then no heavy lifting for a couple of weeks.

It was a great decision for us. No more pill or condoms. Sex became spontaneous. Anywhere, anytime.

I would advise it for any man.

Hi all, great topic. I had mine done a little over 3 years ago; very quick procedure, good meds afterwards (I'm a wuss...heheheh). I used the little guy the second day...whoa, big mistake! I told Stacie I wanted to see if everything was still working; basically I just got horny after she stepped outta the shower. It seemed like a good excuse at the time...wrong!!!! I had major swelling, picture dark blue tennis balls, and the standing and sitting pain lasted maybe 2 months. But all is well now. We have three kids, and she's no longer on any birth control...although, if the barometric pressure drops suddenly, I feel a slight throb down there. hehehehe.

I would definitely recommend this for any male. It is not as big a deal as some folks make it out to be. :claps: :claps:

Lee

Originally posted by artboy

shes no longer on any birth control

She's still on The Pill, for two major reasons: (1) We still play with other couple who aren't surgically safe, and this will help in case there's an accident (his condom breaks, etc.). Also, (2) she is much more regular with her period when she's on The Pill, and it has the beneficial side effect of making her cramping much more bearable.

We both got done. He did it 4/03 and I did it 9/03. No sense in taking risks either way. Mine has screwed with my hormones (but I am also breastfeeding a 7 month old), and his is pretty much ok besides the occasional incision itch.

Sterilization is definitely the way to go in this lifestyle to avoid any 'mistakes'. I like black men...and we're white. (not meaning to be offensive) I couldn't imagine explaining that to unknowing family/friends!!!

I had it done me being 27 with 2.5 kids, Unfortunately they had to snip and burn me, I was laid up for a couple of days, and back to work by the end of the week. During the snipping it felt like tons of pressure, not really a hurting feeling but very uncomfortable. Ice work wonders. Use it!

Guest Mr&Mrs-naughty

I had mine done about 5 years ago.

Best thing I have ever done.

I have had teeth cleanings that hurt more than that.

The doc told me to show up about a half hour early and I could get a Valium. So I did. It definitely helped.

Once we got into the room it got a little uncomfortable. Apparently it was intern day and they had a bout 8 people in the room to watch the process. :slam"

When they got me in on the table they asked me if I wanted to watch.

I told them I don't think so.

So they put a blue sheet up at my waist.

Then came the only painful part.

THE NEEDLE!! :sad:

He told me it was going to hurt and it did!! :mad:

But only for a few seconds. But he had to do one for each nut.

After that he gave it a minute or two and asked me if I felt anything.

I told him no.

He said good it must have worked because I am squeezing your nut right now!

After that I had a dude sitting in a chair by me talking to me about the weather or whatever and before I knew it they were done.

The whole thing took about 45 minutes.

After that the doc said to by a few bags of frozen peas and swap them out on my nuts to keep the swelling down. He recommended peas because they tend to form to your package better than ice.

He also said do not lift anything heavier than a 12 ounce can for at least a week. (Lucky for me that's what size can my beer comes in :D )

I followed all his directions and never had any discomfort or problems. I would recommend it to anyone.

Everyone I know who did have problems admitted to lifting something heavier than they should have. :nono:

I got mine done 8 months ago. The pain was minor and I healed up in a few days. The problem was and still is, although it is getting better, is that it hurts when the woman is on top. She has to lean forward a bit to take some of the weight off. If the women is small it is less of a problem. As I get more excited it hurts less tho. I am beginning to wonder if it will ever be totally pain free. Overall it was worth it.

Had mine done last year. Froze Pea's are the thing. There small and last longer than ice. But, it wasn't hurting 3 weeks later I would go back or talk to someone else.

Originally posted by Harold_N_Ann

It's been over 20 years since I had my vas done. It was performed in the Urologist's office and it took longer for them to drape me that to do the procedure.

I don't remember pain being a significant factor. My doctor recommended I stay off my feet for a couple of days then no heavy lifting for a couple of weeks.

It was a great decision for us. No more pill or condoms. Sex became spontaneous. Anywhere, anytime.

I would advise it for any man.

Same goes for me- only it was only 1 1/2 years ago. I even drove myself home! stayed off my feet for a few days, and used ice packs as prescribed (though I didn't feel the need for them- but wasn't taking chances!) after 4 kids, it feels great to go bareback with no worries!

I highly recommend it!

Bob

Mine was about 25 years ago. There was not a lot of pain really, it was a out-patient operation at that time.

The funny thing was all the nurses. There were five in the operating room and all came up and handle my balls. Now I have very large balls and they can really hang down at times. But each nurse came up and did something like it was a needed part of the procedure.

Had the nick name of orange crate as a young kid, because at camp one of the kids so my large hanging balls and said you need an orange crate to hold those in.

Just to do not rush into sex after the operation.

I'm surprised to see all the posts with complications, minor and not so minor. I was fortunate to have a trouble free procedure with minimal pain and absolutely no long term effects at all. The only thing I had to do was go back 4 times before my sperm count went to zero. Apparently I had a lot of the boys hiding out hoping to survive! The Doc could not believe it. Anyhow it finally stopped and away I went. I would definitely recommend it. The ladies have to go through enough grief in this department. I figured it was the least I could do and I already had enough kids for one lifetime :)

Ok, so I have a question for you guys that have done this. We've discussed my getting cut, and we're thinking it would be for the best overall, but there's 1 problem. I will NOT submit to needles of any kind. It's a mental thing that stems from a childhood incident with being in the hospital and having an IV put in wrong. I literally black out and go insane if I'm subjected to one (I've hurt people when that happens, much to my embarrassment and dismay :sad:), and when I had my wisdom teeth taken out about 2 years ago, it literally took 5 orderlies to hold me down long enough to get the IV in to knock me out so they could take 'em out. It's really not a pretty sight :(

So, my question is, what are the alternatives, if any, other than insisting on being put under for the process?

-B

When they did mine they just used a little local anesthetic and I was to busy concentrating on not getting a woody while the nurse was swabbing down my equipment even to notice. They also gave me a Valium a half hour before, which I understand is pretty standard, so I found that made me not care until it was too late anyway.

well, the valium is a no-go due to religious beliefs (naturalist, no synthetics get put in my body, etc) so I'm hoping I'll be able to just tough it out without. Thanks for the info, and as far as the gettin' a woody, well hey, if the nurse is cute, I can't help that :lol:

thanks again!

-B

I had mine 17 years ago, second child, one girl, one boy, family in place and decided to get it done. My procedure went fine, at that time the procedure was done like a production line by the doctor skipping from room to room at the hospital. As I was leaving my room, the door across the hall was open and all I could see was this guy with his feet toward me, head up looking out the door looking like a deer in the headlights (terrified). I was fine, but decided to moan and shuffle all the way down the hall out of the hospital. I can be a mean bastard sometimes. :rofl:

A buddy of mine went through hell though, not because of the initial operation, but for other reasons. Him and his wife decided it was time for the procedure. Gets it done, gets home, his butt is about 3" from hitting the couch when his wife states "I changed my mind and want another child". Being the loving husband he is, calls doctor and the corrective surgery is scheduled. It's surgery this time, not a procedure. Supposed to take about 30 minutes, complications arise and the surgery lasts about 3 hours. Finally awakens in the hospital room, balls as big as melons hurting like hell. Wife leans over and states "I changed my mind". My friend is one of the nicest, calmest, easy going guys I know stated "If I was not in such excruciating at that moment, I would have risen off the bed and done something I would have regretted". It is not that his wife is a mean-hearted person, she is just a ditz. A pretty ditz, but a ditz just the same. :confused:

I am having a Vasectomy performed on Monday. What should I expect?? I just had a hernia repaired a week ago and by the third day my balls felt like someone was kicking them non-stop. I guess this is my 40-year-old tune up being performed.

Please post your experience when it is all through. I really need to go through with it as well, but just the thought makes my stomach churn and I get all sweaty. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I never had any problems with mine. Stopped on the way home (Tammy driving) and had some drinks at a TGIF. Then picked up a 6-pack on the way home and kept the one I was drinking resting between my legs, kinda icing it down :lol: Had it done on a Friday and was back to work on Monday. Just kinda lounged around on Saturday and was back to having sex on Sunday ;)

Funny side note......You have to drop off a sample of semen to a lab to confirm the V was successful and your are sterile. After the required 10 orgasms, we put the next one in a little sample container that looked like a clear pill bottle with a pre-done label with my info on it. Tammy puts it in a brown paper lunch baggy and goes to the clinic. All she wants to do is drop it off and leave. There happened to be a full waiting room. She walks up to the desk and whispers "I'm dropping off this sample to be tested". The girl then says, rather loudly, "well, lets make sure you've got enough in here" and proceeds to pull it out of the baggy. She then holds it up towards the light and shakes it......while everyone in the waiting room is listening and watching.....and proclaims "oh yes, there is plenty there" :eek:

Tammy about ran out of the room turning three shades of red :lol:

Brett

I had one done a couple of years ago. Other than about a day of discomfort, not a big deal at all.

I would fall under the category of no big deal. I had mine done almost 12 years ago, never once a problem.

The most unnerving issue to me at the time was when the doc grabbed the head of my unit, yanked it up and taped it to my belly.

Now, having said that, there was one problem that really had nothing to do with the vasectomy itself. Had the procedure done on Thursday afternoon, left for TN Friday morning, but got stuck in traffic on highway, turning a 4 hour trip into a 7 hour trip. Got to the destination, was uncomfortable, checked things out, and I had popped the stitch. Now, everything was ok, but it just freaked me out a bit.

Bottom line is, absolutely, positively without question, do EXACTLY what the doc says. Don't try to do any physical activity, just relax, put the ice bag on the bag, and keep still for a while. You'll do just fine. It's those guys that try to go out and play golf, work, etc. etc. that have all sorts of problems.

Sex was a whole lot better after everything healed up....... no pregnancy worries :D

Anyway, as I said, you'll be fine. It is really so much better and easier for us to do it than the women. Lot less complications, relative pain, and hell, just easier all the way around. Not to mention the fun of making sure you get through the required number of ejaculations to "clear the pipes" :lol:

Like a number of folks have already said: no big deal. Do what the doc recommends and it goes just fine. Afterwards, you get to be the "sport model"--all play, no pay :D .

The actual procedure is a bit disconcerting for lots of people, though. Shave the area the morning of the procedure (much better to do it oneself--or have your S.O. do it!). Feet up in stirrups (you'll then understand why women complain about that). Tape the working tackle out of the way, snip, pull a small section of vas through the tiny incision, snip again and tie-off (some--all?--urologists also use cautery), repeat for other ball. A couple of small stitches and you're good to go. Then ice and take it easy.

In my experience with various friends, it was the lead-up that was more problem than the actual vasectomy. Some guys are such big babies about that sort of thing. :rolleyes:

Had the procedure 4 years ago and it was relatively painless. Like others suggested follow post-op instructions and you should be fine. Then welcome to the elite group of "No pay to play" :lol:

Had mine done 3 years ago. It was a (at that time) new procedure called the scalpel-less procedure. Only one small cut done in the center of the sack with a pair of pointed forceps...pull the vas out from the left, clamp, cut, burn the ends...repeat for the right side. The worst part was getting the shot to numb the area. Doc said that I'd feel a "little prick." I said..."no Doc, you've got that backwards!"

They say to ice the area if it hurts. I had no real discomfort at first. But if you don't take any one else's advice on anything else...heed this....WEAR AN ATHLETIC SUPPORTER FOR AT LEAST 2 DAYS AFTERWARDS. When the pain started on the second day, I put on the jock and it went away.

I had to "flush the pipes" with 12 ejaculations and bring #13 in to be tested. Got the procedure done on a Wednesday after work. Took it for a test drive Friday night just to make sure everything still worked, and then spend the weekend at an on-premise club....took #13 in on Monday a.m.

Invest in several bags of frozen peas.....they work a heck of a lot better than plain icebags. Do what your physician tells you, stay on top of your pain with pain medication if you need it, and all should go well.

Would do it all over again if I had to, thankfully it is a one time deal. :D

Well it is the day after and everything went fine. No major pain or discomfort. I have already checked the patient and he is still operating as expected. My Doc is making me have 30 orgasms before I am tested, then 30 more for a second test before I can go without any birth control!! I guess better safe than sorry. Only 59 and counting!

Good to hear. I was going to get a vasectomy about 2 years ago, but didn't. Had the appointment made and everything. The reason I was going to get the vasectomy was so Mrs. WS could go off of birth control, but when we started swinging it was decided she'd stay on it just in case of a condom accident, so a vasectomy was then a moot point. So, since we both had the day off of work we shacked-up in a local motel and had sex all day. :D But, it has come up again and I think I'll do it this year. So it's good hear it was "no big deal". ;)

Mr. WS

Good to hear. I was going to get a vasectomy about 2 years ago, but didn't. Had the appointment made and everything. The reason I was going to get the vasectomy was so Mrs. WS could go off of birth control, but when we started swinging it was decided she'd stay on it just in case of a condom accident, so a vasectomy was then a moot point. So, since we both had the day off of work we shacked-up in a local motel and had sex all day. :D But, it has come up again and I think I'll do it this year. So it's good hear it was "no big deal". ;)

Mr. WS

Just curious, but wouldn't swinging be an even stronger reason to go through with the vasectomy? I mean, you can't assume that every woman you are with is on birth control or has been surgically sterilized, and condom accidents occur from both sides, do they not?

I wish my husband would get a vasectomy ... I am surgically sterilized, but I always worry about him. He has proved to be quite fertile in the past (had five kids with previous wife), and there is always that chance at a mishap.

Just curious, but wouldn't swinging be an even stronger reason to go through with the vasectomy? I mean, you can't assume that every woman you are with is on birth control or has been surgically sterilized, and condom accidents occur from both sides, do they not?

You are right, they do. We have played with two couples where the woman was not on birth control, one was Catholic and didn't believe in it (in the lifestyle, go figure) and the other has never gotten pregnant outside of artificial means. But being the only two couples we've ever played with without condoms this was an issue. With the first couple I could not play with her without a condom, but I was okay with her husband and Mrs. WS. Maybe it was our little gift to him as a good friend. The second couple we have decided to only play with condoms from now on, because even though they have been having sex without birth control for eleven years, there is always the chance.

Mr. WS

My friend's husband got a Vas and the doctor even gave him some temporary tattoos that were of a purple V - hahaha.

I'm going to print this thread out for Mr. Vespertine.

He is in dire need of a vasectomy... he's been hesitant because of his fears. This is a good thread. :D

Spoo, go away!! :lol:

I'm cutting and pasting the thread WITHOUT your warning.

Mr. Vespertine has more important things to be afraid of... like ME if I were to become pregnant again! I would have give him a vasectomy at home. I'm sure there's DIY directions on the net somewhere. :hahaha: