LFM2

Oct. 4 - Dr. Phil's gonna be talkin' about swinging

Here's an excerpt from the transcripts from one Dr. Phil show where a sex therapist came on and challenged Dr. Phil's preconceived notions about swingers and others with alternative relationships:

"Dr. Phil, I've seen your show on swinging and threesomes and I'm here to challenge you. I'm a sex therapist. [You] definitely made alternative lifestyles sound dirty, bad and an evil thing — and it's not. Dr. Phil, you are being judgmental," says Robyn.

"You know, Dr. Phil, the more I think about that show on threesomes, the more I disagree with you. Dr. Phil, there are plenty of ways to have a good time in bed. Come on! Loosen up a little!"

"You're telling me that you feel that it is proper advice to tell someone to bring a third person into their bed, sexually, and that can be a good thing? Is that what you're here telling me?" Dr. Phil asks.

"I'm not here to say that as a therapist I'm going to tell people to have threesomes," says Robyn. "I'm here to say that your comment that it is never, ever, ever healthy or good — ever — for any couple is wrong."

One person in the audience starts clapping. Everyone laughs.

"There are millions of people out there that are very successfully having other advanced sexuality in their marriage and I thought it was wrong for you to say never, ever ..." continues Robyn.

"Listen, I'll just play word games with you all day, but if you're going to tell me that 'advanced sexuality' is bringing some jackleg into my bedroom with my wife, if that's advanced sexuality, then put me back in the first grade because ain't nobody getting in my bed!" Dr. Phil exclaims. "Are you kidding me?"

"No," says Robyn.

"You're serious. You think that's advanced sexuality?" he asks. "That a couple makes a commitment to one another ... and then along the way they say, "Well, things aren't going well, come on down!'"

"No," she says. "That's the wrong reason."

"Even if they agree, if they're two consenting people that are both saying they're OK with this, then I think they're both wrong," says Dr. Phil.

After the audience applauds, Robyn says, "But have you ever been to an alternative lifestyles convention? Have you ever been places where people are happy bringing other people in their relationships?"

"No. I would be afraid I would catch something!" says Dr. Phil.

Dr. Phil plays some clips where he advises couples to do everything they can do spice up their sex lives — everything except bringing a third party into their relationship.

"I'm just saying, as a therapist, I have seen hundreds of people that are happy," says Robyn. "And all I'm saying to you is that I think you should not be quite so firm with your answer and judgmental before you talk to people that are happy having alternatives in their life."

Dr. Phil doesn't believe he's judgmental. "If somebody tells me that's what they're doing, I may say, 'I believe that that behavior is not constructive, it is not healthy, it will not lead you to a good place.'"

"But as a therapist, how can you say that?" asks Robyn. "That's not your job as a therapist."

"I'm not doing therapy; I'm trying to raise awareness," says Dr. Phil. "I'm trying to educate people about what they're thinking about, talking about and doing, and I think I have a responsibility to tell my viewers what I think and what I know from experience and research about something they may be contemplating to do. And if I'm sitting there knowing that if a couple brings a third person into the bedroom that one of them is most likely going to wind up feeling rejected, jealous, hurt, intruded upon in some way, and I know that it is highly likely that this is going to be the outcome — and you know that too — then I think I have a duty and a responsibility to say that."

"Have you ever been to a convention?" Robyn asks. "Have you ever talked to these people? What books have you read about the lifestyle? I just don't think you are educated."

"Well, I appreciate your point of view," Dr. Phil tells her.

I think that pretty well says where Dr. Phil stands on the subject. He's made-up his mind and he's not going to do any real research on it because it might challenge his present ideas on open relationships. So chances are he is never going to do a show that shows alternative relationships of any kind in a positive light.

I think when he says "I'm not doing therapy" it pretty well sums up his whole show's existence.

I might just sit this one out after all and not watch the show when it airs.

Dr. Phis is a pompous ass, Mr. WS, and his show is a waste of time.

He's made-up his mind and he's not going to do any real research on it because it might challenge his present ideas on open relationships.

That just about covers it. I get a kick out of his statement that he's trying to "educate" people. What I'm wondering is, how the hell can anyone "educate" someone about a thing when they know absolutely NOTHING about it? And they won't even trouble themselves to learn?

He may have some good advice in other areas, but I think this is one arena he'd best steer clear of.

For anyone that really wants to see it, he's airing this episode this next Friday, the 25th of January. Like Intuition says, he's going to educate us swingers, probably about what we're doing wrong and how we're ruining our marriages and destroying the family dynamics.

Ugh. I swear that man reminds me of a baptist preacher.

There are times I agree with him; there are times I don't. What I hate most about him is that if someone does disagree with him, he immediately dismisses it and doesn't even consider what they have to say. His way is the right way. And a lot of times, he doesn't have good reason to back it up.

Hell and Damnation!

Thanks for the update. I just set my tivo.

Unless Britney Spears has another meltdown, I'm guessing it will be on this time. :)

Unless Britney Spears has another meltdown, I'm guessing it will be on this time. :)

Nah, I'm thinking he's off the Britney BFF list after his little hospital visit stunt. He'll have to find someone else whose life has spiraled out of control to exploit for ratings.

The guy is an arrogant pompous asshole with plenty of skeletons in his own closet who tries to cloak himself with respectability. His show is just a folksy, better dressed version of Jerry Springer.

Kind of interested in watching this episode, but then again it would just make me scream at the tv while feeling silly for doing so, so think I'll just read the Cliff Notes version on here come Friday night :)

I won't watch it. He's an ass, his sheeple in the audience will clap at all his little snarky witticisms about swinging, and he'll get the rating boost he wants.

One good thing may come out of it: If it plays out like it did when Oprah did her swinging show, Julie should get a good bump in new visitors to the site for about a month, which is a good thing. ;)

One good thing may come out of it: If it plays out like it did when Oprah did her swinging show, Julie should get a good bump in new visitors to the site for about a month, which is a good thing. ;)

What would be really funny is to set up a thread right as the show airs titled "For those joining us from the Dr. Phil Show"

We then could either try to set some facts straight, or we could do something really mean like talking about molesting farm animals, having orgies in front of kids, and promoting anarchy and violence, or something else to ruffle feathers.:D

Hell, if we know the publicity is coming, let's do something with it!

Frickin' TV doctors! He's been riding Oprah's coattails forever.

Don't get me started!! :brkwall:

If the big "O" told him he's scheduled for a 3some with her and Steadman-he'd say "What should I wear?"