Guest MsPandora

Feeling guilty about my bacterial vaginosis...

Guest MsPandora

First and foremost, my partner and me are open with everything. But as of lately, he has informed me that I don't taste good. :sad: Which, well, hurt like hell!!

I keep my naughty bits VERY clean, so I don't think that is the case. (If you have any tips on how to produce a more sweeter taste, PLEASE let me know!)

But, I recently told him I wanted to take a break from swinging until I can change the way I taste. I told him the reason for wanting to break is because I would get insanely jealous if he went down on another woman, and wouldn't do that same for me, with as much vigor.

My question to you is...Why do I feel so guilty and jealous? I know someone will say "Well, find a swinger couple who will go down on you!" But the jealousy is there knowing that my hubby won't do the same for me, as he would for another woman. He is okay with the idea, but I don't know if my feelings of guilt or justified or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Dial soap may help.

Something anti-bacterial. Most smell 'down there' is bacterial in nature. I can verify this myself as one time when I was on very long term strong antibiotics I had just about no body odor even if I didn't shower frequently enough (which can seem like a real chore when you are sick).

Foods, I know, can play havoc on tastes and odors.

For instance, I know asparagus will cause your urine to smell different; I've heard it also can cause men to taste differently too.

I don't know WHAT foods will cause issues; maybe some folks on this board do, however.

OR -- what foods to increase the sweetness!

As far as feeling jealous/hurt, I can see where you're coming from. I think you're feelings are perfectly natural.

I'm not going to comment on other aspects as I will leave that to others, but medically speaking, if it's a fish and/or ammonia smell, see your Doc. Overgrowth of normal bacteria and some minor other problems can cause those effects and a few days of some antibiotics for both of you will fix it.

I recently had a similar issue, and asked my GYN this question and her response was:

Our bodies get used to the sperm of our spouse, so when others are introduced, the body naturally tries to fight it off. This causes excess excretions in the vagina. Using douche makes it worse. She told me to soak in warm water with baking soda.

Drinking 8 glasses of water a day will help unusual odors in the urine. But if a bacterial infection has set in, the only cure is with an antibiotic (which can also cause a yeast infection). Aren't we lucky!?

Definitely take a trip to the doctor if there's an odor or any kind of yuckiness as well. In the past, my body FELT fine, but I had developed an odd smell/taste. Turns out I had bacterial vaginosis...which isn't serious and can be cleared up with a week of medicine. If there's no medical reason, these are my only suggestions...

If you are smoking, stop. This negatively affects your taste/smell. I say that like it's easy, and I know it's not, but I just quit 2 weeks ago, so I know ANYONE can. Same goes with excessive alcohol.

You can watch the food you eat, but this is just "rumor"...I've never done testing, although I could probably get a lot of publication if I did a serious experiment. Red meats and sugars and other certain things are rumored to make you taste "less good". Fruits and whole grains are rumored to make you taste better.

I hope this helps a little! I know you're feeling pretty crappy about it right now, I'd definitely take a little swing-break and work this out between you and hubby.

If you are smoking, stop. This negatively affects your taste/smell. I say that like it's easy, and I know it's not, but I just quit 2 weeks ago, so I know ANYONE can. Same goes with excessive alcohol.

I think this problem is also solved if the male partner drinks excessive amounts of alcohol. :rofl:

I ditto everything Ohash01 said, especially seeing a doctor.

We've had to work through several different physical situations--tends to happen as one gets older.

Ozonated water is a great bad smell clearer-upper; of course you have to buy the ozonater and ozonate your own water; then get a sprayer and spray it on affected areas. (It's really good for eradicating post-sex scents, too, on cocks, clits, hands, mouths, etc.)

Whatever you do, don't worry too much; try everything recommended above, and, if you can, swing around it. I certainly wouldn't let this necessarily be a total show stopper. (One can come up with some pretty creative, fun things! I'll leave it to your imagination.)

We had that problem one time. Mrs biornot was useing a disposable douche that was the problem. Try changing to a old time vinegar and water douche. Hope this helps you.

Turns out I had bacterial vaginosis...which isn't serious and can be cleared up with a week of medicine.

This is pretty much your answer hands down. It's not the same as a yeast infection which can be down right painful, itchy and aggravating as hell. The bacterial vaginosis can't be cleared up by the over the counter yeast infection remedies either. It takes a different type of cream or oral antibiotic.

I never got them before getting in the lifestyle so I think just the exposure to different semen, body secretions, condoms all have to factor in. A sure sign that you have it is simply the fishy smell, there is usually no itching or pain, and maybe just thicker or discolored discharge. Don't wait...go to your doctor asap and get it cleared up so things can resume to normal.

Also, on a side note...every OBGYN I have ever said has told me to not douche. Just stay clean and dry, our bodies do the rest with self cleaning. Douche's can upset the balance down there and make it worse.

Good luck.

Turns out I had bacterial vaginosis...

Spectra is the hands-down queen of this affliction.

Her balance "down there" is extremely delicate...she gets a sinus infection, she's got it...she takes antibiotics for the infection, man, she's REALLY got it...

She douches to get rid of it for an encounter, she REALLY, REALLY gets it...

We've battled this for 20 years...all i know is get to the doc and get rid of it...and wait...it'll be back.

Her doctor recommends no baths, no hot tubs, no swimming, no tampons, no douching, no anti-bacterial soap...that's a lot of no's...

She takes fluconazole (which I understand is for yeast, not BV, but what the hell do I know) after any antibiotic.

Throw in a major reaction to latex...

For what it's worth, this condition has always been with us...it's been no better or worse since entering the lifesytle...

Also, on a side note...every OBGYN I have ever said has told me to not douche. Just stay clean and dry, our bodies do the rest with self cleaning. Douche's can upset the balance down there and make it worse.

Every doctor I've seen says the same. That and eat yogurt - yogurt keeps the GOOD bacteria happy.

I think Sarah has hit the nail on the head here.

It's a bacterial imbalance. There are 5 clinical indicators needed to diagnose bacterial vaginosis, one of which is the absence of lactobacillus bacteria.

Put that bacteria back, and you're back in business.

There is no magic bullet, but from 10 years working in women's health, predominantly with pregnant women (who are quite prone to this), I can say that most women have more success with probiotics than with anything else.

There are oodles of articles about probiotics out there. I suggest if you're going to starting taking this supplement, you don't limit yourself to yogurt, because you just can't get enough lactobacillus in a yogurt. There are some good liquid probiotics out there, in Canada I recommend Bio-K. Whatever you choose, make sure your source has been refrigerating it, and that it has a guaranteed level of bacterial culture.

Also, it's not going to work in a day. Commit yourself to taking daily doses for at least two weeks, preferably a month.

Don't forget about your diet, either. it's not fun, but reduce your intake of sugar and alcohol, which feeds the bad bacteria.

It's not pleasant what you're dealing with, for sure.

Good luck, and I'm hoping for a return to plenty of oral sex soon!

Dito Every doctor I've seen says the same. That and eat yogurt - yogurt keeps the GOOD bacteria happy.

Sarah

I've been eating yogurt everyday since the last time I got BV and oddly haven't gotten it again. :claps: My OBGYN said they don't really know what causes it or how to prevent it. Yeast infections are easy, we know the causes and triggers and how to prevent them...which I can happily say I don't get those any more :)

I hate the BV though mostly because you either get the cream to use (like monostate but not the same ingredients) or the oral which is two weeks of hell. The first thing the pharmacist said as she handed me the oral antibiotic that is used to treat BV is DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL!! :eek: I had a look on my face like "yeah right they tell you that with all drugs" but she said no I'm serious it will make you vomit worse then anything ever. :eek: Okay but we're going out this weekend. :sad: not now. I did some research and talked with my OBGYN's nurse practitioner and she told me yes it will do that to you. So I am now determined not to get them again...I'd take a yeast infection any day over that.

but she said no I'm serious it will make you vomit worse then anything ever. Okay but we're going out this weekend. not now. I did some research and talked with my OBGYN's nurse practitioner and she told me yes it will do that to you.

*sigh* Yeah...I could have told you that. The first time I got BV I was in college and had very recently turned 21. Yep - I learned my lesson. The gel doesn't make you sick if you drink with it, but I find that it's inconvenient, a little gross-feeling, and just plain WEIRD. I tried it once, absolutely hated it, and will take pills and refrain from drinking from now on. I've always taken the pill (what is it - Diflucan?) for yeast infections too.

I stand by yogurt. I don't eat it daily, but I do eat it often. I will NEVER douche. I actually just recently "shame-shamed" my mom when I saw it in her bathroom closet. I think they're about as useful as high-colonics.

WOW I have never heard of this before. :eek:

Since I already eat yogurt everyday and I don't douche I hope that is enough. This sounds rather sucky.

You learn something everyday.