JandCMI

Religious Affiliation?

What do you consider your current religious affiliation?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What do you consider your current religious affiliation?

• Protestant Christian
    • Catholic
    • Jewish
    • Wiccan/Pagan
    • Atheist - Brought up without religion and never found it
    • Atheist - Brought up with religion but got rid of it on my own
    • Agnostic
    • Other

I was reading through some threads and found several dealing with people having guilt issues about swinging/bisexuality due to religious brainwashing in the past and so forth. I couldn't find any kind of poll in this vein - so here goes.

I'm quite curious to find what a sampling of those in this alternative and subversive lifestyle consider themselves.

I voted Protestant Christian, but specifically I am Episcopalian. Growing up I found myself struggling with the orthodoxy of other denominations. I really enjoyed the fact that my church was one that allowed parishioners to ask questions and did not assume that they (the church had all the answers.

To quote a former add campaign for the Episcopal Church, "The problem with churches that have all the answers is they don't allow any questions."

MS

I voted "other"... Was brought up with religion (Protestant, specifically Methodist), but was just never comfortable with all of the dogma. I do, however, believe in a higher power, so that's why I didn't choose "atheist."

I am a Christian. It is something that is very deeply meaningful to me, so I often have a tough time fitting into a church ;)

Spoomonkey

I am a Christian. It is something that is very deeply meaningful to me, so I often have a tough time fitting into a church ;)

Spoomonkey

I am very much the same. I, too, am a Christian, but haven't been to church in a LOOOONG time. Not even for Christmas or Easter I'm ashamed to say. I grew up Anglican (basicly the protestant equivalent of Catholocism), then my Mom switched churches to Free Methodist because she objected to the Anglican church condoning not only female ministers, but gay female ministers. Needless to say, she knows nothing about our lifestyle or the fact that yeah, I've had sex with another woman. And I plan to keep it that way. She's a good woman, and I'm sure we'll see each other on the other side of the Pearly Gates someday, but she has a tendency to keep her blinders on, pretend that the big questions aren't really there, and just follow the rulebook. It's just her way. Whether a blessing or a curse, God granted me an inquisitive mind and a bit of a rebellious streak. I'm a truth-seeker at heart, and I am very uncomfortable doing what everyone else does for the sake of fitting in. I think what unsettles me the most is not the fact that people are moving in a particular direction, but the fact that no one seems to understand why they're travelling such a treacherous road...and that so many are doing it!! With so many people's lives being affected by these ideas, following the same road map as it were, has anyone thought to ensure that the map they are using is the most up-to-date? Are they sure they aren't holding the map upside down? Scary thought, that the leader of the tour group held his map upside down and the rest of the group turned their maps over too, wrong way around, simply following a leader who was not necessarily cut out for his job.

My constant question seems to be, "What makes you such an authority?" In God's eyes, we all put our pants on one leg at a time. We're all worth each as much as the other. Some people were meant to be leaders; others just like to be the boss, and have manipulated their way to front of the line. It's for that reason that I choose to think for myself rather than simply believe and do what I'm told.

Interesting thread and poll! I'm anxious to see the results.

Other!

Riligious dogma plays no part in our personal lives (Sweet_Candy). Both of us were raised in a riligious background. We treat others as we want to be treated with respect and dignity. We've never understood the need or desire to believe in the supernatural.

Sweet_Candy

I was brought up Methodist, but some Fundamentalists successfully converted me to atheism.

I was raised Catholic and converted to Methodist as as adult, although very rarely do I attend church. I voted other. I mostly think of myself as a Christian, although I find fault with many of the different beliefs - so I mashed them all together and have my own set of values.

Jenn

I'm the product of an Irish mother and a Native American father. My mother claimed Christianity but never practiced it. My father smiled inwardly.

It seems to me there must be some sort of force that we cannot understand that brings such perfect order to the universe. I do not think there is a man, sitting on a cloud tossing lightning bolts at us and deciding if we will go to heaven or hell. I doubt the existance of both.

I've had some experiences that make me believe something like reincarnation is at least possible, if not probable.

I try to follow Native American philosophies, particularly respecting our ancestors and holding our environment holy, saving it for our children. I do not believe in human sacrifice, nor do I think we should occasionally raid Little Rock to "count coup." I think Spider Woman is a metaphor, just like Adam and Eve.

I think Jesus Christ is one of the greatest men who ever lived. I do not know if he was the "Son of God" and don't feel I have the ability to find out. I believe the vast majority of the people who are running their idea of "his church" have no idea what he was trying to teach, nor do they care. I think any possibility of a church founded on Jesus' teachings died when Saul of Taursus took over as de facto leader and changed Jesus' teachings to his own.

I voted "other."

Mr. Alura

TheGeek wrote:

I was brought up Methodist, but some Fundamentalists successfully converted me to atheism.

HeeHeeHee! This post falls in the category, "Wish I'd said that!"

:)

Mr. Alura

I was brought up Roman Catholic...now im in recovery ::P:

I have been a Witch/Wiccan/Pagan/Christian Wiccan (so many labels so little time) for about 10 years now. I guess Ive kept some of my earlier learnings, like the commandments and integrated my followings now together with them.

I was brought up Roman Catholic...now im in recovery

:lol: When people ask me what religion I am - I always answer Recovering Cathoilc. I get curious looks down here in the bible belt :lol: I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who says this!!!

Jenn

I usually just say 'none', but that wasn't an option, so I said 'other'. Thanks to my open minded parents, I had the chance to experience many different religions and religious ceremonies. Nothing stuck... ;)

The closest you might come to defining my beliefs is that, on a good day, I am a Diest, as were many of the Founding Fathers of the United States. Other days I am equally convinced that there is no god at all. I generally do not believe in the supernatural.

-B

I checked Agnostic.

I do not believe in organized religion and I do not believe in the supernatural either. I believe there is some kind of something going on somewhere, I just don't think it controls us or decides our fate. I don't believe in heaven and I don't believe in hell. I do believe in energy, if that makes sense.

Like Alura, I believe Jesus Christ was an amazing man who wanted to better mankind. I do not believe he was the son of god nor do I believe he walked on water.

My wife and I are Pagan, specifically Wiccan. I was raised Greek Orthodox and Mrs. WS was raised Southern Baptist.

Mr. WS

My mother is a Jehovah's Witness and my father was atheist. My parents taught me religion is a personal thing and it was up to me to make the decision as to what was right for me. For a long time I put myself in the undecided category but now I generally say I'm agnostic and often find myself identifying with Secular Humanism. I've had exposure to other religions and have had some fascinating discussions about various religious veiwpoints. It's only something I discuss one on one with those who aren't trying to convince me of anything and keep an open mind themselves.

:lol: I forgot to put what I was raised. I was brought up Independant Fundemental baptist.. Completely subserviant to the males of the church.. never even said Amen out loud in church.. went to a non accredited church school.. never wore pants... then I met my current hubby.. life started

Completely subserviant to the males of the church..

I have a friend (of sorts, anyway) who ends all of his domestic squables (sp?) with "woman, you need to submit!"

Mrs Spoomonkey would feed me my nuts if I ever tried that...

And good for her :)

Spoomonkey

[B]

I have a friend (of sorts, anyway) who ends all of his domestic squables (sp?) with "woman, you need to submit!"[/b]

Yeah, submit to KICKING HIS ASS up around his damn head!

...(walking away mumbling to myself about submitting to jackass men...)

BiNWAR wrote:

HeeHee! I like this lady. She reminds me of Mrs. Alura. :)

Mr. Alura

[B]
I have a friend (of sorts, anyway) who ends all of his domestic squables (sp?) with "woman, you need to submit!"[/b]

...(walking away mumbling to myself about submitting to jackass men...)

preach it sista!!! that is a no go here. I do not submit, period. Its not my groove.. well, unless there is some warm oil involved

Ok, I got a good one for you'all

I was raised Mormon, and my wife Lutheren. I even served a mission for 2 years. Yeah I was one of those guys that knocks on your door, well, at least if you lived in Central America I was.

I think the thing that turned us away from Mormonism, and Christian"ism" in general was the way that I saw "christian people" treating other people, specifically non Christians. At worst people have been killed, beaten up, scooffed and ridiculed for personal beliefs in god, sexuality, and life in general. Then there are the Christians that want to "help" all the poor lost souls, becasue it makes them "feel" good. They do this by basically raising themselves up on a pedistal and looking down at all of the non believers.

Since leaving religion in general, my wife and I have become so close, we wonder how we even functioned before hand. We are more open and more comfortable with eachother, something that I see lacking in deeply religious couples.

Do I believe in god? people as me?

I just say, which God do you refere to? Mormon God, Catholic God, Baptist God, Jewish God, because truely, the way that the different religions look at God is so different that He or She certainly cannot be the same person.

I have studied a lot of art history (I had to, I'm a Photography major) and it is funny to see the relationship between the foundation of all the religions today, and how far apart they have all migrated.

Am I bitter? I guess a little bit, as I didn't have a choice when I was younger as to what I wanted to believe, I was force fed. I am glad that I got to go to Central America, that was a good learning experience, and now I am fluent in Spanish, but I am not too proud of some of the things I was forced to do there.

I am prodistant, I have turned against it many times due to stupid fundementalists, but then I desided not to let them have that much power over me (and to continue denying myself). However, I also realize what works for me, doesn't for everyone, and as such I try to keep an open mind that I could be way off. However I also think that as long as you lead a decent life, don't hurt people, and not be selfish, that the eternal reward waits for you, reguardless of preference of worship.

I was raised Methodist and have also been to a Pentecostal and Assembly of God churches. The last time I was in a church was when the Pastor started bashing gays, my spirit within me was so stirred up that I never returned to that church. People who judges others whether they consider themselves christians or not have always been a turn off for me. For me, I have a personal relationship with God and that's exactly what it is, it's personal, and it's a very strong relationship. As for other's beliefs, I never judge, what's right for that person doesn't necessarily mean it's right for me and vice versa. What counts is that you're happy and you're enjoying life to the fullest because let's face it, life is too short.

LOL

I think my brain is just wired differently cause I remember as a child never really buying into religion. Don't think I ever really believed. Eventually tried to "find myself" by trying on different religions and decidiing that none of them were for me. I simply lack the faith. I don't condemn others for their faith as long as they give me the same respect. Its the pushy converting type that I hate, the ones that tell me I'm going to hell because I don't beleive. I can't help that, I just don't believe.

I believe faith is a critical part of life for many. None of us knows what exists, or doesn't exist after life, but we all have some idea and therin lies the basis of faith, religion and anti-religion. Some choose to explore their faith with friends in a manner that suits all, while others hold it in their hearts and are comfortable with what they believe, but prefer to keep it private. I'm in the latter camp.

I suppose I'm an agnostic because I don't know and can't prove what some people tell me is The Truth, but I can't look at the flight of a hummingbird, the beauty of a sunset or experience emotion, and make the unprovable, definitive statement that there is no intelligence behind what exists.

I hold no grudge against religion...I don't fear it and I find that I generally like and trust religious people more than those who are anti-religious. That's not to say there aren't nuts in every faith and those who insist on sharing their brand of faith with me can be a real pain in the ass.

We are true blue Catholic through and through. Though Mrs. NWMIFUN has taken some detours and dabbled in other religions (she swears that Jesus would have made a great Bhuddist - and was totally weirded out by a guy who she dated who claimed to be a witch - but being weird didn't necessarily come from his religious beliefs) we embrace our Catholicism wholeheartedly. We love the support and stability that the church provides. People will try to tell us how bad the Catholic church is, but how can, love, support, and stability be a bad thing?

Many have asked us how we balance that with this type of fun. Neither of us are the types to have anyone shove anything down our throats even a Priest. So, as long as we can reason that we are good people, and not hurting anyone and above all staying true to one another, it doesn't matter what the church that we most identify and find comfort in says. lol - I agree to disagree with some of what the Pope says.

I don't understand when others get bent out of shape when people speak of their religious convictions. I find it best when someone is telling me about their beliefs and I disagree, I just smile and and nod and say "cool". On the same token, I always go out of my way not to press my opinions onto others. I don't imagine they like my opinion forced on them any more than I do theirs.

I find myself agreeing with Ittakes3 when they say that they find themselves trusting someone religious more than they do anti-religious. I've never seen someone truly religious do something bad. But I have seen plenty of anti-religious people do bad things.

I find myself agreeing with Ittakes3 when they say that they find themselves trusting someone religious more than they do anti-religious. I've never seen someone truly religious do something bad. But I have seen plenty of anti-religious people do bad things.

I'm an atheist and I would fall into that anti-religious category but I do not advertise that fact to many people and I don't try to abolish religion. I do think the world would be a much better place without it, though. Religions claim to bring people together but all I see is division all around the world. I trust people that use logic and reason rather than faith. Or religious people that aren't afraid to use their own minds to figure things out instead of the blind faith idea. Like all the religious swingers out there that have a personal faith that allows them to feel alright about what they do. I can respect that kind of religious person.

The big problem for me is that a lot of people walk around disguised as truly religious and are not.....they are judgmental, hateful people that try their best to spread that hatred to others. I have no respect for that. I do have friends that have faith and we agree to disagree. I do not condemn I just don't agree.

Wow, I guess this is a touchy subject for me! I'll get off my soapbox now!

Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful.....or because I'm not religious. :)

Whom have you seen be truly religious? I cringe on the highway when I see the fish sign on the back of a vehicle anticipating the rudeness to follow. Historically more people have died at the hands of the professed religious(righteous) than the non-religious. Should I continue.....

I believe as an American you have the right to follow what makes your life meaningful without making other's lives meaningless. My family is well-mannered and treats others with respect and dignity...more than I can say for the so called religious surrounding us.

Sweet

But once again... Are they TRULY religious?

I feel that I can see right through when someone is simply preaching to me, and I don't respect it at all. Those that I've come across that are truly good people exude that certain something.

Those that I've come across that are truly good people exude that certain something.

I'm forced to wonder.. Is it the religion that makes them good people, or would the good people and the assholes of the world still be the same under a different religion, or no religion at all?

Historically more people have died at the hands of the professed religious(righteous) than the non-religious. Should I continue.....

Sweet

I'd like to see an objective, even semi-accurate body count to support this oft stated claim. I would suggest the millions murdered by communists in Cambodia, even more millions murdered in the name of the state by Josef Stalin and the millions murdered by the national socialists in the name of ethnic purity, would stack up (bad pun) against the crusades, witch hunts, and a host of smaller, less famous conflicts waged in the name of god(s). While some particapants may invoke the name of a diety while conducting violence, it does not make the war a religious war.

WWII was not a religious war, nor was WWI, our civil war, our revolution, the Korean war or Vietnam. Ditto for a number of European and Asian civil and regional wars. In modern times, the only well known, purely religious conflict I can think of was waged in Northern Ireland and while it was violent, the actual number of deaths was nothing compared to real wars. Most every other conflict has been based on ethnic, political, personal or financial issues. Even the Israel-Palestine conflict has a mixed reason for their decades of violence.

In my opinion, the anti-religious movement (which is often as intolerant as most religions) is guilty of blaming violence on religion without really having the facts to prove it.

Unfortunately, the war on terror, seems to be leading towards becoming a truly religious, worldwide conflict.

In my opinion, the anti-religious movement (which is often as intolerant as most religions) is guilty of blaming violence on religion without really having the facts to prove it.

Thanks for this post!

Spoomonkey

WWII was not a religious war, nor was WWI, our civil war, our revolution, the Korean war or Vietnam. Ditto for a number of European and Asian civil and regional wars. In modern times, the only well known, purely religious conflict I can think of was waged in Northern Ireland and while it was violent, the actual number of deaths was nothing compared to real wars. Most every other conflict has been based on ethnic, political, personal or financial issues. Even the Israel-Palestine conflict has a mixed reason for their decades of violence.

Thank you for the lesson in history. ;) Honestly, I'm glad I found this SB. You're all intelligent, and open minded! Thank God we're swingers! Oh, for the non "God" believers..... "I" accept you just as you are. :) I'm the LAST one to judge anyone on this board.

xoxo *just passing the love around* ;)

Those that I've come across that are truly good people exude that certain something.

I agree with this statement and have met many people who would fit this description. They have come from all walks of life and many were not religious.

I only responded to your assertion that religious people were less inclined to be bad then non-religious. This has not been my experience. Yes I am non-religious but do believe religion serves a function for those who need it. For those who believe I support their choice as I do those who do not believe.

Sweet

I'm forced to wonder.. Is it the religion that makes them good people, or would the good people and the assholes of the world still be the same under a different religion, or no religion at all?

I guess I get the feeling that the good people are simply drawn to religion.

Thank you for the lesson in history. ;) Honestly, I'm glad I found this SB. You're all intelligent, and open minded! Thank God we're swingers! Oh, for the non "God" believers..... "I" accept you just as you are. :) I'm the LAST one to judge anyone on this board.

xoxo *just passing the love around* ;)

LOL - a debate doesn't mean anyone doesn't like or is unaccepting of anyone else. Religious affiliation is the last thing that we'd take into account when "swinging" with someone. The thread is one discussing religion, and I don't (not sure about others) and wouldn't ever bring this stuff up in a swinging context. It's simply a thread which has spurred discussion, which is never bad.

We are true blue Catholic through and through. Though Mrs. NWMIFUN has taken some detours and dabbled in other religions (she swears that Jesus would have made a great Bhuddist - and was totally weirded out by a guy who she dated who claimed to be a witch - but being weird didn't necessarily come from his religious beliefs) we embrace our Catholicism wholeheartedly. We love the support and stability that the church provides. People will try to tell us how bad the Catholic church is, but how can, love, support, and stability be a bad thing?

Many have asked us how we balance that with this type of fun. Neither of us are the types to have anyone shove anything down our throats even a Priest. So, as long as we can reason that we are good people, and not hurting anyone and above all staying true to one another, it doesn't matter what the church that we most identify and find comfort in says. lol - I agree to disagree with some of what the Pope says.

I don't understand when others get bent out of shape when people speak of their religious convictions. I find it best when someone is telling me about their beliefs and I disagree, I just smile and and nod and say "cool". On the same token, I always go out of my way not to press my opinions onto others. I don't imagine they like my opinion forced on them any more than I do theirs.

I was raised Catholic, and out of respect for my parents, and all that they did for me growing up with the childhood that I had, I consider myself Catholic and chose that as my religion. Although the Pope has a stronghold on the ways the Catholic religion is, I do not believe that he is my bridge to God. My personal relationship with God is just that..mine. I enjoy my time in solitude with God during mass, I use what I can from the sermon that applies to my life and toss what doesnt apply. I believe that 99% of the population is good, and that God has never made anything on this earth ugly. People have told me that Jesus would want me to be involved in an organized church. I say that Jesus preached to sinners outside of the church, and the only time that I can recall Jesus being in church was to correct priests and to be angry for the unGodly acts of those in the synigog. (sp) There are many roads to goodness. How you get there depends on the person, not the priest, pope, church, or other believers.

Like so many other polls, this needs an 'other' answer. I've was raised Catholic and spent many years in Lutheranism.

But, at the moment, I'm Deist. Just like Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson.

. . . Ask me next year . . .

• Like 2

We have a mixed marriage. Atheist and agnostic.

• Like 2