What's your Myers-Briggs Personality Type?  

645 members have voted

1. 1. What's your Myers-Briggs Personality Type?

• ENFP
    • INFP
    • ENFJ
    • INFJ
    • ENTP
    • INTP
    • ENTJ
    • INTJ
    • ESTP
    • ISTP
    • ESFP
    • ISFP
    • ESTJ
    • ISTJ
    • ESFJ
    • ISFJ

Thought I would add to the poll and thank you for the continual stats.

But to add yet another INTJ, and to think at one time I thought I was alone in this little world ;)

Introverted 89%

Intuitive 75%

Thinking 88%

Judging 33%

You are:

very expressed introvert

distinctively expressed intuitive personality

very expressed thinking personality

moderately expressed judging personality

If you do not mind I would like to test this poll against another board that has absolutely nothing to with the lifestyle.

But to add yet another INTJ, and to think at one time I thought I was alone in this little world ;)

Well, in the world in general INTJs are pretty much alone. They're the rarest subtype with only about 1.1% of the population in that group. But, here, they're the most common at 19.6%. It's nice to find a niche where you're not a rarity and actually have a reasonable chance of running into somebody who thinks the same way you do. (Being an INTP with 1.3%/6.3% even that increase is a source of joy)

If you do not mind I would like to test this poll against another board that has absolutely nothing to with the lifestyle.

Not sure how you can test a poll against another group but I'd love to see the results.

INTJ by Career placement test site. I also found advice related to career choices.

ISFP.

Introverted-89%.

Kind of a crazy situation to try to get into when you're highly introverted! We both find it extremely difficult to initiate conversation with people and are uncomfortable in large crowds. We're both so far out of our comfort zone we often think we're crazy to even attempt swinging!

Female half-The Inspirer

As an ENFP, your primary mode of living is focused externally, where you take things in primarily via your intuition. Your secondary mode is internal, where you deal with things according to how you feel about them, or how they fit in with your personal value system.

ENFPs are warm, enthusiastic people, typically very bright and full of potential. They live in the world of possibilities, and can become very passionate and excited about things. Their enthusiasm lends them the ability to inspire and motivate others, more so than we see in other types. They can talk their way in or out of anything. They love life, seeing it as a special gift, and strive to make the most out of it.

ENFPs have an unusually broad range of skills and talents. They are good at most things which interest them. Project-oriented, they may go through several different careers during their lifetime. To onlookers, the ENFP may seem directionless and without purpose, but ENFPs are actually quite consistent, in that they have a strong sense of values which they live with throughout their lives. Everything that they do must be in line with their values. An ENFP needs to feel that they are living their lives as their true Self, walking in step with what they believe is right. They see meaning in everything, and are on a continuous quest to adapt their lives and values to achieve inner peace. They're constantly aware and somewhat fearful of losing touch with themselves. Since emotional excitement is usually an important part of the ENFP's life, and because they are focused on keeping "centered", the ENFP is usually an intense individual, with highly evolved values.

An ENFP needs to focus on following through with their projects. This can be a problem area for some of these individuals. Unlike other Extraverted types, ENFPs need time alone to center themselves, and make sure they are moving in a direction which is in sync with their values. ENFPs who remain centered will usually be quite successful at their endeavors. Others may fall into the habit of dropping a project when they become excited about a new possibility, and thus they never achieve the great accomplishments which they are capable of achieving.

Most ENFPs have great people skills. They are genuinely warm and interested in people, and place great importance on their inter-personal relationships. ENFPs almost always have a strong need to be liked. Sometimes, especially at a younger age, an ENFP will tend to be "gushy" and insincere, and generally "overdo" in an effort to win acceptance. However, once an ENFP has learned to balance their need to be true to themselves with their need for acceptance, they excel at bringing out the best in others, and are typically well-liked. They have an exceptional ability to intuitively understand a person after a very short period of time, and use their intuition and flexibility to relate to others on their own level.

Because ENFPs live in the world of exciting possibilities, the details of everyday life are seen as trivial drudgery. They place no importance on detailed, maintenance-type tasks, and will frequently remain oblivous to these types of concerns. When they do have to perform these tasks, they do not enjoy themselves. This is a challenging area of life for most ENFPs, and can be frustrating for ENFP's family members.

An ENFP who has "gone wrong" may be quite manipulative - and very good it. The gift of gab which they are blessed with makes it naturally easy for them to get what they want. Most ENFPs will not abuse their abilities, because that would not jive with their value systems.

ENFPs sometimes make serious errors in judgment. They have an amazing ability to intuitively perceive the truth about a person or situation, but when they apply judgment to their perception, they may jump to the wrong conclusions.

ENFPs who have not learned to follow through may have a difficult time remaining happy in marital relationships. Always seeing the possibilities of what could be, they may become bored with what actually is. The strong sense of values will keep many ENFPs dedicated to their relationships. However, ENFPs like a little excitement in their lives, and are best matched with individuals who are comfortable with change and new experiences.

Having an ENFP parent can be a fun-filled experience, but may be stressful at times for children with strong Sensing or Judging tendancies. Such children may see the ENFP parent as inconsistent and difficult to understand, as the children are pulled along in the whirlwind life of the ENFP. Sometimes the ENFP will want to be their child's best friend, and at other times they will play the parental authoritarian. But ENFPs are always consistent in their value systems, which they will impress on their children above all else, along with a basic joy of living.

ENFPs are basically happy people. They may become unhappy when they are confined to strict schedules or mundane tasks. Consequently, ENFPs work best in situations where they have a lot of flexibility, and where they can work with people and ideas. Many go into business for themselves. They have the ability to be quite productive with little supervision, as long as they are excited about what they're doing.

Because they are so alert and sensitive, constantly scanning their environments, ENFPs often suffer from muscle tension. They have a strong need to be independent, and resist being controlled or labelled. They need to maintain control over themselves, but they do not believe in controlling others. Their dislike of dependence and suppression extends to others as well as to themselves.

ENFPs are charming, ingenuous, risk-taking, sensitive, people-oriented individuals with capabilities ranging across a broad spectrum. They have many gifts which they will use to fulfill themselves and those near them, if they are able to remain centered and master the ability of following through.

ISTJ

Introvert(22%) Sensing(50%) Thinking(1%) Judging(22%)

•You have slight preference of Introversion over Extraversion (22%)

•You have moderate preference of Sensing over Intuition (50%)

•You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (1%)

•You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

This time I'm an ENTJ, Extravert 22%, Intuition 50%, Thinking 50%, Judging 1%. Depending on the test, I've also come up INTJ or ENTP, but ENTJ is most common.

INFP

Introvert(56%) iNtuitive(50%) Feeling(50%) Perceiving(11)%

You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (56%)

You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (50%)

You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (50%)

You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (11%)

I always get the same thing, and it suits me- I'm a psych nerd :)

Not sure what to make of this

Your Type is

ENFJ

•You have moderate preference of Extraversion over Introversion (44%)

•You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (12%)

•You have slight preference of Feeling over Thinking (6%)

•You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

Since we hit the 500 response milestone it seems right to do another summary:

Going by just the 4 major types we see:

General Population

Artisan - 39.8%

Guardian - 35.3%

Idealist - 15.5%

Rational - 9.5%

Lifestyle

Artisan - 8.8%

Guardian - 20.4%

Idealist - 27.4%

Rational - 43.4%

Rationals are 4.6X as common in the Lifestyle as in the general population

Artisans are 4.5X as common in general as they are in the Lifestyle

As for specific traits

iNtuition is 2.8X more common in the Lifestyle

Introversion is 2.1X more common in the Lifestyle

Judgement is 1.5X more common in the Lifestyle

Thinking is 1.5X more common in the Lifestyle

(Remember that these terms has very specific meanings in Kiersey and Myers-Briggs terminology and do not mean the same as in common English.)

That said, you'd expect the INTJs to be wildly more common in the Lifestyle than in the general population and you'd be right. Where INTJs are 1.1% of the general population, INTJs make up 18.5% of Lifestylers.

Due to their rarity in the general population and their high representation in the Lifestyle, if you run into an INTJ on the street, chances are almost two to one that they will be in the Lifestyle.

By comparison, only 3.8% of the population in general and less than one in a hundred ESTPs, ESFPs swing.

Since we hit the 500 response milestone it seems right to do another summary:

General Population

Artisan - 39.8%

Guardian - 35.3%

Idealist - 15.5%

Rational - 9.5%

Lifestyle

Artisan - 8.8%

Guardian - 20.4%

Idealist - 27.4%

Rational - 43.4%

As for specific traits

(Remember that these terms has very specific meanings in Kiersey and Myers-Briggs terminology and do not mean the same as in common English.)

That said, you'd expect the INTJs to be wildly more common in the Lifestyle than in the general population and you'd be right. Where INTJs are 1.1% of the general population, INTJs make up 18.5% of Lifestylers.

Due to their rarity in the general population and their high representation in the Lifestyle, if you run into an INTJ on the street, chances are almost two to one that they will be in the Lifestyle.

By comparison, only 3.8% of the population in general and less than one in a hundred ESTPs, ESFPs swing.

Thanks for posting that!

As always, I had problems answering some of the questions but here is my current type:

ISFJ

Introvert(44%) Sensing(50%) Feeling(50%) Judging(56%)

You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (44%)

You have moderate preference of Sensing over Intuition (50%)

You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (56%)

I was not expecting to see those results. I (female) am an INTJ. Like the very definition of an INTJ, and my husband is an INTP. Those are both pretty rare personality types according to my psychology classes in college. It makes me feel so much better to see that there are so many people kind of like me who are into this. Maybe we're not oddballs after all.

ENTJ

Extravert(1%) iNtuitive(88%) Thinking(38%) Judging(33%)

You have marginal or no preference of Extraversion over Introversion (1%)

You have strong preference of Intuition over Sensing (88%)

You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (38%)

You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (33%)

The problem I think is the test is just more like a sample test, not a true personality test. I did take one of those many years ago, but it was far more detailed. This one is short enough that a single answer can make a difference.

On the flip side this puts me as "Your Jung personality type is stereotyped as Field Marshall" which I think was what I may have gotten on the longer test, though it was so long ago I can't remember.

I was not expecting to see those results. I (female) am an INTJ. Like the very definition of an INTJ, and my husband is an INTP. Those are both pretty rare personality types according to my psychology classes in college. It makes me feel so much better to see that there are so many people kind of like me who are into this. Maybe we're not oddballs after all.

We're exactly the same with a male INTP and female INTJ and some friends of ours are the opposite with a male INTJ and female INTP. It's been fun seeing how many traits we share with each other's spouses.

While VERY rare in the general population, both types are fairly common here.

General Population

INTJ - 1.1%

INTP - 1.3%

Here

INTJ - 18.8%

INTP - 5.8%

Chicup said:
The problem I think is the test is just more like a sample test, not a true personality test. I did take one of those many years ago, but it was far more detailed. This one is short enough that a single answer can make a difference.

I'm not sure that which Kiersey test is used really matters so if you are using a different one (such as the actual Kiersey Temperament Sorter II on the Kiersey website) that's fine. The real question is what personality types are here and how the distribution differs from the general population.

Hubby scored ESTJ when he took the quiz, but an ENFJ when I took it for him.

I previously scored an ESFJ, but this time when both hubby and I took the quiz for me I am an ENFJ.

Your Type is

INFP

Introverted -11%

Intuitive - 12%

Feeling - 25

Perceiving - 22

# slightly expressed introvert

# slightly expressed intuitive personality

# moderately expressed feeling personality

# slightly expressed perceiving personality

Personalities are somewhat fluid..... above is from 2009. Below is my current

ISFP

Introvert(33%) Sensing(1%) Feeling(38%) Perceiving(22)%

You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (33%)

You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)

You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (38%)

You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (22%)

Then again looking at the almost no preference for sensing over intuition... I am basically both is what that tells me... depending on the way the wind blows.

So does anyone have a link to a more complete test. I think the Myers-Briggs "people" put a kabash on them since they are licensing them now it seems. I wouldn't mind taking it again but not the crappy online ones I've found.

Well yea, I found another one that seemed "ok"....

ENTJ again, so I think I'm sensing a pattern. Fieldmarshal I am.

Interestingly ENTJ makes up 2% of the actual test takers, which makes me wonder if its a swinging thing OR a online test thing causing so many here.

Now that's pretty cool. I'll be on the lookout for them! :) I voted as an INFP, but my results were dead even for INFP/INTP.

I've been waiting for a group I work with to decide to do it as a corporate exercise sometime just to see who the INTJs are.

I think the Meyers-Briggs is fine to do for fun, but I don't put much stock in it, and wouldn't think of using it for professional needs.

Have we all been duped by the Myers-Briggs test? - Fortune Management

As for the INTJ factor. I'm guessing that if you administered this test on a variety of internet boards, you'd get similar results. Introverts tend to thrive on the internets. By the same token, if you administered this test at an actual swingers club/event/convention, I'm betting you'd see very different results.

Perhaps the results are skewed, perhaps not. There seems to always be a disproportionately low percentage of Artisans in any (online or voluntary in-person) study. And while you might see skewing toward introverts in an online board, I'm not sure that's necessarily true since virtually all of society now participate in various online activities. This isn't 1985 anymore.

On the other hand, that the results skew far off the mainstream does seem predictable in that society in general is optimized for the majority and thus the majority do not have any reason to question societal rules that are designed specifically to work for them. Those who are in the social minorities (Kiersey Idealists and Rationals) are more likely to find society a "thin gruel" for meeting their needs and are more likely to gravitate toward unconventional activities.

If those activities become popular enough to meet the mainstream (Kiersey Artisans and Guardians) then typically that activity is modified to meet the majority needs (and "ruined" for the Idealists and Rationals).

Perhaps the results are skewed, perhaps not. There seems to always be a disproportionately low percentage of Artisans in any (online or voluntary in-person) study. And while you might see skewing toward introverts in an online board, I'm not sure that's necessarily true since virtually all of society now participate in various online activities. This isn't 1985 anymore.

Message boards are different though. Just being online doesn't mean you post in a forum.

On the other hand, that the results skew far off the mainstream does seem predictable in that society in general is optimized for the majority and thus the majority do not have any reason to question societal rules that are designed specifically to work for them. Those who are in the social minorities (Kiersey Idealists and Rationals) are more likely to find society a "thin gruel" for meeting their needs and are more likely to gravitate toward unconventional activities.

If those activities become popular enough to meet the mainstream (Kiersey Artisans and Guardians) then typically that activity is modified to meet the majority needs (and "ruined" for the Idealists and Rationals).

Ok this is amusing. I went to the main Kiersey site and took the test. Turns out I took it 10 years ago to and forgot about it.

Jan 12, 2014 Guardian Supervisor (ESTJ)

Sep 08, 2004 Rational Inventor (ENTP)

It's Spring so here's another summary to kick off warmer weather:

General Population

Artisan - 39.8%

Guardian - 35.3%

Idealist - 15.5%

Rational - 9.5%

Lifestyle

Artisan - 8.8%

Guardian - 20.3%

Idealist - 27.6%

Rational - 43.3%

As for specific traits

That said, you'd expect the INTJs to be wildly more common in the Lifestyle than in the general population and you'd be right. Where INTJs are 1.1% of the general population, INTJs make up 18.8% of Lifestylers.

• Like 1

Interesting that introverts are more common in the LS, I would think just the opposite.

Thanks for posting the stats.

Interesting that introverts are more common in the LS, I would think just the opposite.

I suspect it's because all of the main streams of society are highly tuned not just for Extroverts but really for ESxx types since those 4 subtypes make up over half of the general population. That being the case, the needs of the 3/4ths of the personality types who are less common are not met by general society and so need to be met by less mainstream activities. (The activities being non-mainstream just because those other types are rarer themselves)

At least we're not (quite) in a time when those with uncommon personality types are legally persecuted.

As someone with a research background, allow me to counter.

I'm going to hypothesize that INTJ has nothing to do with swinging, and everything to do with who posts on internet message boards. Most people think they know the internet, but they merely adopted it. I was born in it, molded by it. I was already shaped by it before I was a man; by then nothing was surprising.

To put it briefly introverts love it here.

• Like 1

To put it briefly introverts love it here.

I was about to formulate another post on this subject, so I'm glad I refreshed first and saw your reply.

The internet truly is the introvert's milieu.

Most of my life I was INTJ, but in the last handful of years I've been INTP, although my P score is pretty low and is still close to being INTJ

Apparently Rationals (those with xNTx characteristics) are all much more common but nowhere is this as visible as with INTJs.

For the 4 Rational subtypes, the results here are:

INTJ 16.98 times as common as in general society

INTP 4.74 times as common as in general society

ENTJ 4.16 times as common as in general society

ENTP 1.15 times as common as in general society

The four major types are:

Rationals (xNTx) 455% as common as in general society

Idealists (xNFx) 181% as common as in general society

Guardians (xSxJ) 57% as common as in general society

Artisans (xSxP) 22% as common as in general society

Some of this is due to self-selection (Artisans are typically less likely to take personality type tests than other types) but, I suspect, we also see the Rational's bias toward ignoring rules they don't think make sense and also the reflection of society to cater to the most common and provide few mainstream outlets for those with less common needs and wants. Artisans and Guardians make up about 75% of society in general with Rationals being only about 10% so Rationals tend to have to get their needs met out of the mainstream.

If the subtypes were found evenly there would be about 6.25% of each of the 16 subtypes. INTJs, who make up 19% of the responses here, are the rarest subtype in general society with only 1.1% of the population. By comparison, the most common subtype in general society, ESFP, makes up 18.5% of the general population but only 2.5% of those of us who participate here.

As we move into Autumn it's time for another summary:

General Population

Artisan - 39.8%

Guardian - 35.3%

Idealist - 15.5%

Rational - 9.5%

Lifestyle

Artisan - 8.8%

Guardian - 19.9%

Idealist - 28.0%

Rational - 43.3%

As for specific traits

iNtuition is 2.9X more common in the Lifestyle

That said, you'd expect the INTJs to be wildly more common in the Lifestyle than in the general population and you'd be right. Where INTJs are 1.1% of the general population, INTJs make up 19.1% of Lifestylers.

Thanks for posting that!

As always, I had problems answering some of the questions but here is my current type:

ISFJ

Introvert(44%) Sensing(50%) Feeling(50%) Judging(56%)

You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (44%)

You have moderate preference of Sensing over Intuition (50%)

You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (56%)

Almost two years ago, I had the result above. I took the test again tonight and the following are my current results:

ISTJ

Introvert(67%) Sensing(75%) Thinking(1%) Judging(22%)

You have distinct preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)

You have distinct preference of Sensing over Intuition (75%)

You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (1%)

You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

Interesting enough, I took a different but similar test earlier in regards to "career" and received the ISFJ result:

EI: 14 out of 17

Extrovert |-------------------------------------------------| Introvert

|

82%

SN: 2 out of 17

Sensation |-------------------------------------------------| iNtuition

|

11%

TF: 11 out of 17

Thinking |-------------------------------------------------| Feeling

|

64%

JP: 4 out of 17

Judging |-------------------------------------------------| Perceiving

|

23%

I'm surprised by the all of the INTJs!! :) wow!

Enfp/infj

I was thinking the same thing! Supposedly only 1% of the total population, but almost 20% of people here. I'm an INTJ as well.

Since Introversion is 2.1X more common in the Lifestyle and iNtuition is 2.8X more common in the Lifestyle and Thinking is 1.5X more common in the Lifestyle and Judgement is 1.5X more common in the Lifestyle it makes sense that the subtype showing ALL those unusually high traits would be surprisingly more common.

Last time I ran the numbers, INTJs were 1.1% of the general population and 18.9% here. Considering how rare INTJs are in general that pretty much equates to almost 2/3rds of all INTJs.

(We're an INTJ/INTP couple and, amazingly, a lifestyle couple we're friends with are INTP/INTJ. It makes for interesting conversations when the surprising similarities show up)

ENFJ

Extravert(22%) iNtuitive(25%) Feeling(25%) Judging(1%)

You have slight preference of Extraversion over Introversion (22%)

You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (25%)

You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (25%)

You have marginal or no preference of Judging over Perceiving (1%)

Wow, I feel so special.... lol

Since we're nearing the end of the year it's time to do another summary:

General Population

Artisan - 39.8%

Guardian - 35.3%

Idealist - 15.5%

Rational - 9.5%

Lifestyle

Artisan - 8.6%

Guardian - 21.5%

Idealist - 27.1%

Rational - 42.8%

Rationals are 4.5X as common in the Lifestyle as in the general population

Artisans are 4.6X as common in general as they are in the Lifestyle

As for specific traits

Introversion is 2.2X more common in the Lifestyle

That said, you'd expect the INTJs to be wildly more common in the Lifestyle than in the general population and you'd be right. Where INTJs are 1.1% of the general population, INTJs make up 18.3% of Lifestylers.

MB1991 said:

Or, they could be asexual

I'm an ENTP in his 20's wishing he was in the lifestyle.. But highly doubt the Mrs will ever come around. I don't want to jump in without her. Either she comes with or it doesn't happen. And I'm not gonna push her.

loincloth said:
I'm an ENTP in his 20's wishing he was in the lifestyle.. But highly doubt the Mrs will ever come around. I don't want to jump in without her. Either she comes with or it doesn't happen. And I'm not gonna push her.

Welcome to SB, loincloth! Whether it happens or not, at least you have the right attitude about it all. Why not pop over to the Introductions forum and tell us more about yourself? And please have a look through the site. There is a HUGE amount of great information to be found here, both in the active forums and the archive. I'd suggest inviting your wife to browse with you; I think just about every question she could possibly have has been answered more than once.

Best wishes.

Since it's the end of the year it's time to do another summary:

General Population

Artisan - 39.8%

Guardian - 35.3%

Idealist - 15.5%

Rational - 9.5%

Lifestyle

Artisan - 8.6%

Guardian - 21.3%

Idealist - 26.9%

Rational - 43.2%

Artisans are 4.6X as common in general as they are in the Lifestyle

As for specific traits

Introversion is 2.2X more common in the Lifestyle

That said, you'd expect the INTJs to be wildly more common in the Lifestyle than in the general population and you'd be right. Where INTJs are 1.1% of the general population, INTJs make up 18.6% of Lifestylers.

• Like 1

We're an INTP male, INTJ female couple as well. What's been fascinating is that we have friends who are INTP female, INTJ male and we've been amazed just how much follows the personality type even to which computer game types each of*us like.

Rationals see rules as suggestions.

Or as warnings about which of their own rules to avoid discussing in public.

• Like 1

It's definitely fascinating. I'm an INFP, but I consistently test as borderline INFP/INTP, so I do identify with both types. There are those who say this is not possible, because the "personality stacks" are completely different. But the thing is, I do identify with both. At the same time. Gives me something of a split personality, which I have had to contend with my entire life. If anyone puts any stock in chirology/hand reading, I have a Girdle of Venus (double heart line) and a very long, forked head line, which means passion to the point of hedonism, as well as a capacity for logic/reason with the ability to see things from multiple points of view. I'm able to be very objective and play devil's advocate with ease.

Mr. intuition is, I believe an ENTJ/ESTJ. He's a very practical-minded rational. :) Likes his numbers.

I think the high representation of rationals in the lifestyle is probably due to the need to be able to be objective about love and sex, and the ability to remove emotion from one's assessment of things, without discounting its importance. It also requires the tendency to question rules, and the status quo, and say, "So...why are we doing this monogamy thing again? Because I don't get it." Non-rationals say that it's because it's the rule. And if no one followed the rules, there'd be chaos and the world would fall apart. Somewhat true, granted, but the reason we have these annoying rule-questioning types in the first place (a smaller number of them, because we're annoying AF), is because sometimes the rules need to be questioned, and need to change. We keep things fresh. :)

• Like 1