sepacouple

Bi-sexual lesbian and gay definitions

My wife and I were talking about what the term bi-sexual means compared to being refered to as a lesbian or gay.

She says that she is not interested in playing with another women because she is not a lesbian.

My feeling is that it is not the same thing.

Being bi-sexual means that you enjoy sexual pleasure (giving and/or recieving) with both sexes and that the terms lesbian (women) and gay (men) refer to the kind of living relationship (on a daily basis and not just sexual) that you enjoy or desire.

Am I on the right track or am I clueless about the whole thing?

Anyone have some opinions on this?

Reading your definition you are on the right track. However the definition could be a bit broader. This reply avoids the debate of can you change someone who is gay. Also this posts avoids the debate of, if a gay individual who has had experience(s) with the other sex sex are they truly gay or are they really bi-sexual with a preference for a relationship with the same sex.

Think about sexaulity as a spectrum where an individual could plot at anytime where they were on it. At one end of the spectrum you have heterosexuality, in the middle is bisexuality, and at the other end is gay. Bi-sexuality would then be seen as a combination of hetrosexaulity and gay. Each segment would then include experiences, preferences, and desires. In theory you could move along the spectrum in any direction and move from one end to the other

Based on this concept, gay would be someone who had strong preference, strong desires, and repeated experiences with someone of the same sex. Whereas the bi-sexuality would include individauls with experiences with both sexes, desires for both sexes, and preferences for both sexes that might change over time. Whereas hetrosexuality would be an individual with repeated experience with the opposite sex, limited preference / no preference for the same sex, and, very limited / non existant desire for experience with the same sex. The majority of people would probably fall somewhere towards the middle and not at the extremes.

Your definition is right - but, unfortunately, her's is the definition that counts. :D

Mrs Spoomonkey has become a willing playmate with some of our female friends during group play, but she does not consider herself bi. Lots of folks would argue with that, but I can see her point - she has no desire to play with a woman by herself, doesn't look for female playmates and just "goes with the flow" when we all get to a room.

So... Bi, gay, straight... The bottom line - if she isn't interested in playing with a woman, semantics won't change her mind.

Spoomonkey

Dito to Spoomonkey.

Just last night I had a guy walk up to me at the bar and ask me if I wanted to kiss his wife. I said no as I am straight. However, if we had been playing with this couple and she kissed me I would have returned the kiss but I would not have initiated it.

I use the same definitions as you do.

Although I do add in "bi-curious".

To me bi-curious means you don't play alone with the same sex but will play with the same sex if the opposite sex is involved.

You follow? :)

Hmmm... We're all bisexual on some level... Even gay people or straight people, we all have some form of attraction to the same/opposite sex. It's more difficult for some to admit than others, but in the right (perfect for some) circumstances most people would play with others of the same sex.

In terms of your wife, Spoo is right, it doesn't matter. IF she is interested in kissing another woman, and it happens, she'll either go with it or run like hell... You'll just have to hang on for the ride... Nothing you do/say will convince her otherwise...

Since Mrs. GT already responded to this post with an opinion equivelent to mine I wasn't going to respond. But I couldn't resist because it is the first time I recall that my opinion differs significantly from stoutgatte's. No offence stoutgatte, I still like you (in a hetrosexual way, of course). :)

Hmmm... We're all bisexual on some level... Even gay people or straight people, we all have some form of attraction to the same/opposite sex. It's more difficult for some to admit than others, but in the right (perfect for some) circumstances most people would play with others of the same sex.

I don't think I am bisexual at all, I'm sorry if it offends some, but I just don't find men attractive in the least. Now if the circumstance arose that a guy offered me a million dollars to give him a blow job, I may choose to do it, but that would only indicate that I'm greedy or materialistic, not bisexual.

Before we started playing around. My wife insisted she was straight, She now plays around with other women in a swinging situation but still considers herself straight but bi playful-she can get excited but utimately needs a man or ment to fully please her. She would never play with another woman on her own without guys to finish the job

Now if the circumstance arose that a guy offered me a million dollars to give him a blow job, I may choose to do it.

I was going to post that I wasn't bi at all...

Then I read this...

And for a million dollars - yeah, I'd receive a blow job... Heck - for a million dollars I'd even give one. But - I'd warn the guy first that it wouldn't really be worth a million dollars... And there would probably be a lot of gagging and tears... But - some guys like that.

:D

Spoomonkey

:rofl: To Spoo and Good Times... I expected someone to say this... But you two? Sheesh...

But seriously, I've been a liddle teeny weeny bit of the straight and narrow for ages, ie I can look at another man and think he may be attractive, have no (and I really mean not in the least) desire to get involved in any sexual form of activity, but I cannot say I'm perfectly straight.

So what am I saying, you two will consider money for sexual favours... Ie, greed, and both will say that you will not enjoy the experience, but what made you think of it in the first place? Oh yeah, the thread, OK, hehe. Lets try this approach, are there men out there with whom it (getting payed for a bj) will be easier than others? I'm not saying you have to find them attractive, just less not attractive...

I guess it's a lost cause, men are raised with such a strong aversion to homosexuality, that it's impossible for us not to repress any sort of thoughts that way...

To me, being a lesbian (or a homosexual male) means you have true, emotional, and unconditional feelings for someone of the same-sex - you want to live your life with that type of a person ONLY, and not go back and forth between both genders. It's not at all about sex or sexual needs or desires, it's about a true love that you feel for someone who is the same sex as you are.

When I decided to explore the things I had been wanting to explore, I honestly was scared to death that in wanting to be with a woman sexually it meant I was a lesbian...but then I realized just how much I like...no, scratch that, love dick. I wouldn't give it up for the world...it means way too much to me and nothing I will ever do with a woman will make me feel the way I do when I have a man inside me, or even when a man kisses me. However, I do, occasionally, *crave* a woman's touch or just lay with a woman and cuddle, kiss, hug, stuff like that. That's how I knew it was time to define myself as a bisexual....I'm past the stages of being bi-curious, bi-playful, bi-comfortable, or whatever other words you want to use, and have put myself onto the bisexual catagory.

Dito to what tina78 said.

Hubby and I seek to find other couples where the female is bisexual not because the activity is mandatory, but because of what it says to us about her mental attitude. Of course, to be sure about that there needs to be discussion of the topic. Awareness of the choices of definition allowed on the particular site where one may be seeing a couples profile is a factor. I am prone to feel that a lady is either bisexual or she is not ... PERIOD. I don't have much tolerance for those who are still calling themselves "Curious" after years of exposure to the activity. I mean, geez, make up your mind! :rollseyes

"Socially bi" to me means you will play at the activity to stimulate your man, but don't actually get into it. Golly, why would one do anything that one didn't derive some degree of pleasure from doing? Is one so phobic about admitting to the pleasure derived that one shrinks from terming themselves thus? :confused:

"Passive bi" is another term that makes me wonder. Is this supposed to be an appealing term? Appealing because it means the lady is willing to receive pleasure regardless the source? I have the thought: Why would one be the recepient of attention one would never consider reciprocating? :(

Bottom line: not all mean precisely the same thing when using different terms. It's best, therefore, never to make assumptions regarding any terminology used without affirmation from the writer.

WR ;)

Lets try this approach, are there men out there with whom it (getting payed for a bj) will be easier than others?

I can't answer for Spoomonkey, but for me he disribed what my reaction to it would be prerfectly. And as I don't think their is different degrees to my rolling on the floor wretching, I doubt very much if it would matter how he looked. I have learned from my lovely wife that I have absolutely no idea what makes one man more attractive than another.

I guess it's a lost cause, men are raised with such a strong aversion to homosexuality, that it's impossible for us not to repress any sort of thoughts that way...

Or maybe it is as the homosexuals say, that they are born that way. If so, it seems logical to assume that I could have been born totally straight. I am certain that the only male body I have ever been comfortable playing with is my own. ;)

So... Bi, gay, straight... The bottom line - if she isn't interested in playing with a woman, semantics won't change her mind.

Spoomonkey

Dito

Far as I can tell I'm 100% straight. The thought of male-male sex makes me repulsed, and its not as if I haven't seen it, or was raised in a homophobic household. Its just icky :eek:

Now if someone were to pay me to blow him, I COULD do it, but it would require a LIFE changing amout of money. A major life changing amount. It would be in excess of a million dollars and I'm being honnest here, maybe 10 and I'd have to think about it a long time. Its sort of one of those 'whats the most horrible thing you could do for money' questions. I'd rate it up there with losing a finger.

Now perhaps my homosexual side has been SO repressed that even in a totally private situation, where no one would know, and I'd be paid a huge sum of money, I'd rather lose a finger then perform a sexual act on a male. That or I'm 100% straight :rollseyes

Now my wife on the other hand has been turned on by women since we started going out and she DID repress it. It made her uncomfortable that seeing women together turned her on, and it took her a couple of years of swinging to perform a sexual act on another female (she recieved the first time no complaints hehe), she is now comfortable with it, but the spark was always there.

Thanks for the replies, very interesting and informative.

Just as clarification the conversation we were having was one about the terminology, it was not one about her getting involved with another woman, I respect her wishes on that and she has provided me much excitement in many situations without having to involve another woman.

I got here a bit late, but this is an interesting post.I was just on another site and answered the same type of question :lol:

I was bi-curious...meaning I was "curious" about having sex with another female.

Now that I have had the facelick pleasure of the :kissface: experience, I know I'm bi-sexual.The key word being -sexual- :kissface: I make love to,fall in love with, and fuck men and I like to fuck women.I do not have any desires whatsoever to fall in love with a woman or be her girlfriend...it is purely sexual. That is where a lot of people get confused, you think because you are "sexually" attracted to a member of the same sex that OMG!! :eek:,I'm gay or I'm a lesbian{Which isn't a bad thing,BTW}.Basically, define it as if you have feelings other than lust for a member of the same sex and you really think you could fall in love,that's the difference right there. That's how you know if you're just biSEXUAL or if you really are Gay or Lesbian...But, just because you may have sex with someone of the same gender,that does not mean you are gay or lesbian. ;)

sensuality, I know just what you mean. I'm bi-sexual, as you say, in that I enjoy having sex with women and men, but the idea of falling in love with a man seems very foreign to me.

Here's a strange thought: Can one be straight-bi-sexual or gay/lesbian-bi-sexual? (If you followed that logic, let me know! :lol: )

Personally though, I dislike labels and would rather just ask a person, "So, what are you into?" ;)

-B

Here's a strange thought: Can one be straight-bi-sexual or gay/lesbian-bi-sexual? (If you followed that logic, let me know! :lol: )

-B

Yes! My brother is gay but sometimes will play with a woman if the mood is right.

I also know of a few other gay men that will occasionally venture over to the hetero side of the fence.

My hairstylist is as gay as they come (think Carson from Queer Eye) but he admitted to me that he really loves the taste of pussy.

But I also know a LOT of gay men that wouldn't go there for all the money in the world. Very similar to how a lot of straight men feel about m/m activity.

Not strange at all, Brad. I was thinking the exact same thing while reading this thread. I could see myself in a relationship with a woman. It doesn't seem like an unnatural idea to me at all. Now, by some of the definitions above I would not be bi-sexual but rather lesbian. So I think that would make me a lesbian-bi-sexual. While those who want sex with members of the same sex but would only be interested in a relationship (as well as sex of course) with members of the opposite sex would be straight-bi-sexual.

:rollseyes You're right. Stick to, "So, what are you into?" :lol:

Think about sexaulity as a spectrum where an individual could plot at anytime where they were on it. At one end of the spectrum you have heterosexuality, in the middle is bisexuality, and at the other end is gay. Bi-sexuality would then be seen as a combination of hetrosexaulity and gay. Each segment would then include experiences, preferences, and desires. In theory you could move along the spectrum in any direction and move from one end to the other.

Using a sliding scale with 0 being "I would get NO pleasure from a sexual encounter with someone of the same sex and could never become romantic with a same sex person", 50 being "I enjoy sex with either sex and would fall in love with the right person regardless of gendr" and 100 being "I ONLY get pleasure from a sexual encounter with someone of the same sex and could never become romantic with a person of the opposite sex" we put ourselves at 25 for her and 10 for me. Using this scale anything more than 0 and less that 100 would be considered bi-sexual.

I have had two encounters with men, the first was with a tranny girl and the other during a MFM. Both were while swinging with my wife. In the heat of the moment I enjoyed both encounters but I do not find myself attracted to men at all. Under the right circumstances with the right partner I would probably do it again but I would never seek it out and if I never do it again it wouldn't bother me. To put it anothere way, I've had Indian (Hindi) food a couple of times. It was ok but I can live without it and would not suggest an Indian dinner.

Angel, on the other hand, has had several girl/girl encounters. According to her she occasionally finds her attracted to another woman but would never consider a romantic relationship with another woman or consider giving up men.

I think of myself as a straight male, but sometimes when we get together with a few couples that we have known for years, us guys will perform oral on 1 another, we have tasted 1 anohter off the ladies so what the hell is wrong with getting it from the source, but its always done in the group thing its never when when its just us guys. At parties Lori likes to do oral on guys the sneak up on me & give me wet sloppy kiss with a load in her mouth, to tease her if she has the guy about to cum I sometimes push her out of the way & finish the job then kiss her. but thats only if I'm comfortable with whats going on

I use the same definitions as you do.

Although I do add in "bi-curious".

To me bi-curious means you don't play alone with the same sex but will play with the same sex if the opposite sex is involved.

You follow? :)

I have to disagree here, just a bit. Bi-CURIOUS means just that.. curiosity about same-sex play. What you describe would be more accurately called Bi-friendly, or Bi-playful. Bi-Curious would indicate that a person is not sure, but would like to find out. For example, I term myself Bi-curious. I have only had one Bi encounter, but the other person didn't really participate, so I still don't know what it would be like if we were both "going for it" and thus my curiosity. I can't say yet that I'm truly Bi, because I don't think I'll know that until I've truly experienced it.

As for the original question, Bi-sexual people enjoy sexual contact with both sexes. Just that simple, in my book. Lesbian/Gay people enjoy sex with other people of the same sex. Straight/Hetero people enjoy sex with people of the opposite sex, and do not seek out same sex encounters. In my opinion, even those who are "Bi-playful" are just a little Bi. They may not seek out bi action, but if they participate, and enjoy it, they are a little Bi, as far as I'm concerned. It IS a sliding scale, and some are more or less Bi than others.

JMO

Once again semantics appear and so all ends in a word play, but I would agree with Vespertine, in general 4 levels:

Heterosexual: Just engages in sexual intercourse with opposite sex

Bi-Curious/Friendly: Engages in sexual caresses or acts with same sex in some circumstances, not always. (Usually there are two types, active and passive)

Bisexual: Engages in sexual intercourse or interaction with both sexes without any problems. Bisexual are usually active.

Lesbian/Gay: Engages in sexual intercourse only with people of same sex.

I think the relationship issues is irrelevant, since swingers aren't looking for that kind of relationship, (it can happen but I don't think it's the purpose of it).

Take care all

Hugs

:)

Heterosexual: Just engages in sexual intercourse with opposite sex

Bi-Curious/Friendly: Engages in sexual caresses or acts with same sex in some circumstances, not always. (Usually there are two types, active and passive)

Bisexual: Engages in sexual intercourse or interaction with both sexes without any problems. Bisexual are usually active.

Lesbian/Gay: Engages in sexual intercourse only with people of same sex.

This is excellent, I need to add it to my dictionary.

Mrs. GT is what you list as Bi-curious/friendly (More friendly than curious and above the waist play only). While she will not initiate anything she will participate in mild same sex petting. And although she isn't interested in women in a sexual way she isn't repulsed by it as I would be if another man attempted to start fondling me. I think your four catagories cover the range pretty good.