SW_PA_Couple

What do you serve for breakfast to overnight swinging house guests?

What do you serve for breakfast to overnight swinging house guests  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What do you serve for breakfast to overnight swinging house guests

• Lumberjack breakfast: Bacon, eggs, waffles, and/or pancakes
    • Biscuits and gravy
    • Bagels and cream cheese
    • vodka and corn flakes
    • Same as we have every other morning, sex on the kitchen table
    • ibuprofen or aspirin; your choice, it was a rough night.
    • just coffee
    • other, tell us please.

In our experience bacon butties go down rather well after the "reprise"!

But maybe that's an Anglo-centric view.

And what on earth is a waffle?!

CB

It depends on the play partners. We've actually never had play partners stay for breakfast; they preferred to grab something on the way home. I can relate. There's nothing like a big greasy McDonalds breakfast and jumbo sized coffee after a long night. But if guests were to stay over for breakfast, no doubt about it, they'd get a big ole lumberjack breakfast. They'd have earned it. ;)

We like fresh fruit, bagels and plenty of fresh roasted coffee - something we can munch on while we continue to frolic............

I have a hash-brown casserole recipe that works great for the morning after. It's become a staple for overnight guest of any kind.

It's kind of involved to make but the great thing about it is that you can mix it up the day before, put in the frig and all you have to do the next morning is pop it in the oven.

I gave the recipe to a couple of different friends and it's now what they use when they have overnight guest.

Teresa

TNT said:

I gave the recipe to a couple of different friends and it's now what they use when they have overnight guest.

Teresa

Would it happen to be in the SB cookbook? I have a copy of it around here somewhere...if it's not, I'll have to get it from you. Sounds tasty. :facelick:

intuition897 said:
Would it happen to be in the SB cookbook? I have a copy of it around here somewhere...if it's not, I'll have to get it from you. Sounds tasty. :facelick:

No, it's not...I didn't know about the recipe when we were doing the SB cookbook...I'll look it up and send it to you, it's really good.

CB_n_Red said:
In our experience bacon butties go down rather well after the "reprise"!

But maybe that's an Anglo-centric view.

And what on earth is a waffle?!

What the heck is bacon butties?

My world famous waffles of course. In fact, we have actually been invited to stay the night just so they could have my waffles in the morning. Yes, they are that good.:D

Haven't been in that situation, but me and the misses have chocolate chip, banana nut pancakes, and sausage on the weekend. So I guess if a sleep over did happen and if we liked them enough that might be it. But if we suddenly figured out we didn't like them, we might run to the store to get some dry stale rice cakes...

So it really should depend on the situation.

:D

Tom & Bonnie said:
I believe it's a Breakfast Jack without the egg and cheese...:lol:

lol :) it's also a few steps shy of a BLT...they seem highly versatile...:lol:

We haven't had overnight play guests yet...but I do cook breakfast on the weekends. Usually scrambled eggs, biscuits with jam and butter, and bacon or sausage. Every now and then I will fix this french toast recipe that my ex-mil gave me...it's kind of a pita to make, but it's another one of those make the day before and bake for an hour that morning, kind of things.

Maria :kissface:

We have had the same couple spend the weekend several times. They do not live real close. We usually have something like, eggs, hash browns, biscuits and gravy and bacon, with coffee and orange juice. Then I don't eat again till dinner!!!

Teresa - looks like Tom and Bonnie answered that one for me! And that's a pretty decent looking bacon buttie!

Thanks for the waffle link. All clear now.

CB

In the few situations in which breakfast would be served, I'd be SOL if it weren't for scrambled eggs. I don't cook, and my repertoire is limited if I am forced to cook. Luckily my spouse does like to cook, and the one friend have been around in overnight situations also cooks. Both are generally inclined to do the lumberjack type breakfast.

CB_n_Red said:
Teresa - looks like Tom and Bonnie answered that one for me! And that's a pretty decent looking bacon buttie!

Thanks for the waffle link. All clear now.

Yeah, :lol: looked liked a bacon biscuit to me, actually looked more like a yeast roll than a biscuit.

crazycatz said:
sorry but what in the name of god are biscuits and gravy??? and who has gravy for breakfast? lol

We do :D as often as the kids can talk me into making them. I couldn't find a good picture of biscuits and gravy but here's what I found.

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits

This has been a cool thread. We have so many people on here from so many different places, it's been fun seeing and hearing about what different foods everyone eats. Thanks for starting it SW_PA_Couple.

Teresa

Yeah, :lol: looked liked a bacon biscuit to me, actually looked more like a yeast roll than a biscuit.

Looked like a bread cake to me (with the bacon inside)!

Well, that's what we call them in this part of England....

CB

sorry but what in the name of god are biscuits and gravy??? and who has gravy for breakfast? lol

OMG, you need to come to the south baby where we'll show you how to EAT!!! I'll cook you up some eggs and grits, bacon and sausage. Then you take the biscuits and that thick ass white heart clogging gravy. You sit 2 buscuits on a plate and some gravy that has been cooked with some sausage in it.....let it sit so the gravy softens up and sinks into the buscuits....dammit now thats eating.

oh god now that doesn't appeal to me at all i have to say shelly! mainly because i really don't eat meat (i'll have a rasher every once in a blue moon).

now some american pancakes would do the trick!! lol

what are grits?

as far as breakfasts go, if you ever come to ireland you have to try an Ulster Fry!! Absolutely gorgeous!

Grits are what those of us in the south call polenta...

My favorite breakfast was one I prepared for friends of ours from deep in the heart of Cajun country in Louisiana. I surprised the Sunday morning with Grillades and Grits... Ohh man, Chere! Laisez les bon temps roulette!

2006-03-28_grillades.jpg

oh god now that doesn't appeal to me at all i have to say shelly! mainly because i really don't eat meat (i'll have a rasher every once in a blue moon).

what are grits?

as far as breakfasts go, if you ever come to ireland you have to try an Ulster Fry!! Absolutely gorgeous!

We haven't had overnight guests yet, but if we did, my honey would probably fix us waffles, eggs/bacon/grits/toast, or his kick-ass Grand Marinier french toast. If it were left up to me, I'd fix some bacon quiche tarts 'cause you can do them ahead of time and freeze.

Okay, now I'm hungry!

=)

what are grits?

What's a rasher? How about the Ulster Fry?

Not so sure about the rasher, but the Ulster Fry must be good because here in the South we believe there is no finer way to prepare just about any food than to drop it in some hot grease :facelick:

Grits are basically ground corn. Lots of ways to eat them, garlic grits and cheese grits are two favorites. Then there is hominy, or hominy grits. Field corn soaked in lye solution for several days until the entire shell comes loose and the kernel swells up big and white. Those are good just with butter.

Biscuits and gravy are good for any meal, especially during the winter. Just to make things sound even stranger, the best biscuits are homemade "cathead" biscuits.

Fun thread!

good times said:
My world famous waffles of course. In fact, we have actually been invited to stay the night just so they could have my waffles in the morning. Yes, they are that good.:D

I have to concur with this.

I still can't eat a waffle without saying - "remember the waffles Good Times makes?"

The lady at IHOP usually just looks confused.

PS - Oh, and if we aren't terribly hung over, Mrs Spoo makes a total lumberjack/B&B-style breakfast. She cooks upstairs and down ;) If we are hung over, we go to Bob Evans...

Tom & Bonnie said:
My favorite breakfast was one I prepared for friends of ours from deep in the heart of Cajun country in Louisiana. I surprised the Sunday morning with Grillades and Grits...

Damn that looks good...

:facelick:

OMG, you need to come to the south baby where we'll show you how to EAT!!! I'll cook you up some eggs and grits, bacon and sausage. Then you take the biscuits and that thick ass white heart clogging gravy. You sit 2 buscuits on a plate and some gravy that has been cooked with some sausage in it.....let it sit so the gravy softens up and sinks into the buscuits....dammit now thats eating.

Yummy!! Ill be over in oh...I dunno.....17 hours. :D

What we serVe our guests is a variety of choices. Due to our location, everyone needs to drive and spend time on the road. One thing that goes over big is, I purchased a commercial waffle maker, the same batter used in the waffles can be used for pancakes. They choose and the maker and griddle is hot for them . We will have either ham,bacon, or pork links. This choice is theres also, for over the years, have tried many combinations but this seems to be the most popular. Coffee, milk,juice. Now everyone has a full tummy and a big smile on there face. CONTENT

Looks like lumberjack breakfast has, thus far, received the greatest number of votes. There is one option I failed to put onto the list -- out to breakfast at a nearby restaurant. I wonder if any of you have made or received this invitation.

what are grits?

Now that I think upon it, I also forgot to put Haggis on the list. But that would be breakfast in Scotland, not Ireland, wouldn't it?

good times said:
My world famous waffles of course. In fact, we have actually been invited to stay the night just so they could have my waffles in the morning. Yes, they are that good. :D

OMG - beyond good - they are orgasmic!!!!

When we have had over night guest - I try to find out their diet preferences before hand and cater my menu according to their preferences. On the parties we have had with a large number of guest spending the night I usually do a big breakfast for everyone around 3 am as we are all beyond hungry at that point. Usually scrambled eggs, sausage links and homemade waffles (not as good at GT's! - but they are good).

Then in the morning we will have variety of muffins, fresh fruit, juices, coffee etc. before sending everyone on they merry ways.

There have been times after we go out for play time that when we get home I will fix some breakfast tacos (bacon, egg, and potato...yum!)...or if we are feeling particularly lazy...we'll stop at taco cabana or jim's on the way home (for you Texas folks out there...lol). mmmmm.....

Tom and Bonnie...that last pic looks really yummy...but I just don't like grits. Does that mean I have to leave the state? :lol:

Now that I think upon it, I also forgot to put Haggis on the list. But that would be breakfast in Scotland, not Ireland, wouldn't it?

Not necessarily! We can get haggis here. Very tasty!

And then there's the traditional black pudding.... :D

CB

Oh no, we're not grits fans at all. But this recipes is to die for and probably the only way I will eat grits. They are Garlic Cheese grits baked in the oven...

Recipe follows

Tom and Bonnie...that last pic looks really yummy...but I just don't like grits. Does that mean I have to leave the state? :lol:

GRILLADES & GARLIC CHEESE GRITS

New Orleans Favorite Breakfast/Brunch Dish

INGREDIENTS

4 Pounds of veal or beef round steak 1 Teaspoon thyme

½ Cup bacon drippings or vegetable oil 1 Cup water or beef stock

½ Cup flour 1 Cup red wine

2 Cups of chopped onions 3 Bay leaves

1 ½ Cups of chopped green onions 3 dashes of Worcestershire sauce

1 Cup chopped celery ½ Cup chopped parsley

4 Cloves of garlic, chopped fine Salt, red and black pepper to taste.

3 Tomatoes (medium) chopped

INSTRUCTIONS

Start by cutting steaks into serving-size pieces and removing any external fat. In large heavy bottomed pot add bacon drippings or oil and brown meat well. After meat is well -browned (remember the browning gives the flavor) set aside. Add flour to the same pot with drippings and stir continually, making a roux. Cook until the color of a penny; add onions, green onions, celery and cook until soft and limp. Next add the garlic, tomatoes thyme mixing all ingredients together. Add water or stock, wine, bay leaves, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer all ingredients for 10 minutes add veal or beef pieces of meat back to pot stirring well. Cover and cook until meat is fork tender but not falling apart. You can add water during the cooking process if gravy gets too thick. Taste during the cooking for seasoning (salt and pepper) and add if needed. You can always add if you think Grillades need more seasoning but seasoning is hard to remove. When seasoned and meat very tender add parsley and serve over grits.

Garlic Cheese Grits

INGREDIENTS:

* 6 cups water

* 2 teaspoons salt

* 1 1/2 cups grits

* 1/2 cup butter

* 3 eggs, well beaten

* 16 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

* 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely minced

* cayenne pepper to taste

PREPARATION:

Bring water and salt to a rolling boil; gradually stir in grits with fork. Cook, stirring constantly, until all water is absorbed. Stir in butter a tablespoon at a time; stir in the beaten eggs, working quickly so eggs will not cook before thoroughly blended into the grits, then stir in the shredded cheese, garlic and a little cayenne pepper. Put into a greased 2 1/2-quart casserole. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 to 20 minutes. Serves 8.

What's a rasher? How about the Ulster Fry?

A rasher is our equivalent of your bacon but it's kinda different...thicker and less fat.

An Ulster Fry has potato farl, soda farl, beans mushroom, tomato, egg, rasher and sausage (or more veg if you don't eat meat). It's the only cure for a hangover.

And yes, haggis is a Scottish meal...though I'm not sure they eat it for brekkie. :lol:

Tom and Bonnie,

My SO was born in New Orleans and his mother's side of the family was cajun...I will have to try this recipe for him, it's right up his alley. lol

Thanks! :)

crazycatz said:
A rasher is our equivalent of your bacon but it's kinda different...thicker and less fat.

An Ulster Fry has potato farl, soda farl, beans mushroom, tomato, egg, rasher and sausage (or more veg if you don't eat meat). It's the only cure for a hangover.

And yes, haggis is a Scottish meal...though I'm not sure they eat it for brekkie. :lol:

Thanks for the answers. I was guessing rasher had something to do with bacon. We used to have what we called "jowl bacon" but it was the opposite - thick yes, but more fat, hardly any lean.

Ulster Fry does sound tasty. Found a picture of farl. Looks like a biscuit that didn't rise much. I like dense bread, so that would be good. May have to try making an Ulster Fry sometime.

Oh no, we're not grits fans at all. But this recipes is to die for and probably the only way I will eat grits. They are Garlic Cheese grits baked in the oven...

Recipe follows

Thanks for the recipe, it looks de-lish! I'll have to try that sometime soon!

CB_n_Red said:
And then there's the traditional black pudding.... :D

Yummy! No part of the animal goes disused in the British Isles. :kilt:

One of the very best breakfast I ever enjoyed was at the London-Heathrow Airport while on my way to Saudi Arabia. Bangers and mash accompanied by a pint of golden lager brewed on the premises.

I would suggest a walk up the road to the Colonial hotel for Eggs Benedict.

I usually eat egg whites and oatmeal, so breakfast prepared at my house would not go over well for most people.

When I and the ex hosted weekend parties at a chalet at a ski hill in upper Michigan I would prepare a Finnish oven pancake called Krapsua. Easy to prepare and quick to.. But I also had to do meals for 2 days as the party was from Fri night til Sunday evening.. Ease of preparation is the key so ya ain't ignoring your guest...::P:

SW_PA_Couple said:
Looks like lumberjack breakfast has, thus far, received the greatest number of votes. There is one option I failed to put onto the list -- out to breakfast at a nearby restaurant. I wonder if any of you have made or received this invitation.

I read the entire thread and didn't see much about going out. Spoo said something about Bob Evans if they were hung over...and Pretty Lady mentioned taking a walk up the road.

But yes, what we make best are reservations.

Now, if we're at the campground, that's another story. Coffee for starters, and then what ever our guests wanted (as long as we had it in the fridge). I will say this though...you have to be careful frying bacon or sausage if you're naked....

crazycatz said:

And from my experience from my travels in Ireland and Britain, rashers are lightly cooked -- hot, but still mostly soft (I'm talkin' about rasher/bacon here, not...other things... :rolleyes:) -- while most Americans tend to "burn the bacon" (cook it until it's at least a little crispy around the edges, if not downright crunchy). Frankly, if someone else is cooking, I'll take what's served to me as long as it's cooked.

The best full breakfasts I've ever had were in little B&Bs and tiny hotels in small towns in the Irish Republic, Ulster, England, and Wales (I haven't been to Scotland...yet). But those were all vanilla/commercial breakfasts. And in that category German breakfasts are a close second, but that's another subject.

I love waffles. And when this thread was new I asked good times for his waffle recipe.

He must have that special touch because me making his recipe was a total failure. :( But, I'm going to give that recipe a try again this weekend. :)

Whose got some more yummy breakfast ideas to prepare for sexy friends the morning after you all had fun?

good times said:
My world famous waffles of course. In fact, we have actually been invited to stay the night just so they could have my waffles in the morning. Yes, they are that good.

Most certainly not as famous as yours, but I think mine are gaining some fame. Aunt Jemima helped. Chickens were "involved", the pig was "committed" -- thick-cut, sugar-cured, pan-fried bacon. The overnight guests were fabulous too. They were not "on" the breakfast menu; just present to partake. They were, however, yesterday evening's desert.

Was at a NYE house party and here's what was on the breakfast menu (over night guests contributed):

Quiche

Baked French Toast dish

Some sort of shrimp caserole

Chamgagne & OJ

Fruit

Sausage n Egg caserole

Tortilla Espansola (a potato & egg torte)

Apples & Cranberries baked

Coffee

Ibruprofen

Some leftovers from the evening food: Ham, Vietnamese Spring Rolls, fruits & veggies.

Quite a nice spread!

We attended an overnighter for New Year's, and enjoyed a great batch of waffles for breakfast. Simple, quick, and it hit the spot. :)

When we had our house party in the summer, I made a huge batch of sticky buns a couple of days before, threw them in the freezer at the rising stage, took them out before finally going to sleep around 4 the night of the party, popped them in the oven when I got up, and then everyone enjoyed my buns for breakfast (ahem) with a minimum of fuss and bother for me.

No, it's not...I didn't know about the recipe when we were doing the SB cookbook...I'll look it up and send it to you, it's really good.

Teresa

Teresa... would you mind posting it or sending it to me? I'm always looking for casserole breakfasts.