Unicorn101

Is this being naive or possibly a bad idea?

When searching for partners as a single girl I know that one needs to be careful about safety. Very rarely do I ever meet anyone from the Internet as I almost always have the instant bad vibe feeling. I have been emailing/texting a couple for about a week that found me on Pof... Thing is, no bad vibe gut reaction.... She is a funeral director of all things... But he says that he is a cop. That is what almost instantly put me at ease while talking to this couple. Am I being stupid or unsafe by feeling safer because the male claims to be a cop? I say claim because I have not met them yet but they sound very legit, lots of pics etc..

Yes, it's a bit naive. People can say they are anything. Even then, I've known plenty of very sketchy cops. Just by being a cop wouldn't make me feel any better about someone. I think the only way to really tell is to meet in person and trust your gut on how you feel about them. People can be very different in person.

In terms of safety, to put your mind at ease I would recommend:

- Meet somewhere public with plenty of people around, outside of your neighborhood.

- Don't tell them where you live

- Tell someone where you are going and who you're going to meet

- Make arrangements to call them when you arrive and call again when you get home

- Never play on the first date; when you do play don't make it either their house or yours. Make it a club, party or hotel room

- Again, make sure someone knows where you're going and who you're meeting

Am I being stupid or unsafe by feeling safer because the male claims to be a cop?

Not stupid, but maybe naive.

Cops can be dicks too.

(Not a cop bashing post)

I work in Law Enforcement and yes we recruit from the same human gene pool as every other profession. We are held to a higher standard, but we are still human. Yes, some of us are total dicks...Use some judgement and heed some of the tips that others have suggested. Be safe!!

• Like 1

Not stupid, but maybe naive.

Cops can be dicks too.

(Not a cop bashing post)

I can see it is not a bash. But maybe an unintentional pun?

cop = dick

For those of you who are not old enough to remember or have never seen a 1930s movie, I will supply a hint. My grandfather was referred to by certain elements of society a "railroad dick"; to much the same crowd a "bull".

Our first experience with a "third" in our relationship was in law enforcement. It added a level of safety and comfort on a lot of levels.

And it was GREAT.

helped that he was telling the truth. Lol

:)

As a side note, we have noticed a rather LARGE amount of civil servants in the lifestyle. Lots of cops, nurses, teachers, military, emergency etc. My theory has been that for the most part, these are professions of "for the community!" In other words, people who are very into sharing. :-D

:btdedhrs:

Professions do not relate necessarily to trustworthiness.

People are people and we all have our hang-ups and issues, who doesn't. What is important is how they treat you and that is something you won't know until you get to know them better. Emails/text's can only tell you so much.

Good luck!

Is it naive to believe that just because someone is a cop they are honest? Yeah, it is.

That said, I've been in your shoes and I always felt the same way about meeting people online (couples or guys), so I feel ya. I also know that there's not a whole lot of other ways to meet people these days that are any safer.

If the only reason your gut is saying "go ahead" is because he's a cop then I'd take a step back and think about it more. If however your gut was not sending off bat signals before you even found out their profs, I"d go ahead and meet them for coffee or drinks in a neutral and safe environment. For the record, anytime you meet someone online you should always meet in a safe neutral environment.

Guest screaminggood

There is that obvious benefit that he has handcuffs?:kissface:

The only cop I've been with had a dominant streak...Just treat them like any other couple you'd meet, and always be careful.

its naive.

no one job makes someone safer or better. i've known assholes from all walks of life, and great people from all walks.

I've also learned...nothing beats meeting someone in person, then judging. That's not to say I'm not guilty of judging online, hell, I do it all the time. I have certain things that are red flags for me. but, I try not to get in my own way.

Don't assume too much based on jobs.

I remember a study when I was in college, about a century ago, in which law enforcement officials' upbringing and backgrounds were compared to those of convicted felons. The two groups had more in common with each other than any other group.

Alura

I remember high school bullies. Sure nuff', a few years later, many of them were wearing badges and carrying guns. That's about the time I lost respect for the local Law Enforcement.. May not be true everywhere, but it sure was true here.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By two4youinswva
      I hate having to post stories like this one, but unfortunately, things like this, however remote and unlikely, can happen.

Swinger's ads connected victim and alleged killer

The defendant early last year responded to Mr. Williamson’s online ads and set up sexual encounters for his wife, according to Commonwealth’s Attorney James P. Fisher.
      “My mother was not sexually satisfied with him,” Amber Ellington, 24, testified Thursday about her father.
      So, Mr. Hayes used “swinger” ads online to find sex partners for his wife, Mrs. Ellington said, recounting an August conversation with her father.
      “He was gonna . . . make sure it was the right way and she was protected,” Mrs. Ellington said of her parents.
    • By SJBluebirds
      The owner of the local club (Not named here -- libel laws and all that) in Fredonia, NY, was arrested this morning, and it's all over the local papers and news media.

Perhaps I should say 'arrested again'. Selling stolen goods, selling narcotics, prescription meds, and even money laundering according to one news outlet. This club owner runs a couple of businesses out of the property -- a Pawn Shop, RV rental, Jewelry store, and the swing club! -- all out of the back of a former bowling alley. He's been arrested for narcotics, there's allegations of fire insurance fraud, and receiving leniency in a plea deal in a murder investigation a number of years back. This is The Club in Western New York and Pennsylvania.

How on Earth are we supposed to have any goodwill in the community -- in terms of zoning laws, business licensing, or even something as basic as sex-positivity or acceptance of alternative lifestyles -- if this crap is the public face of Swingers? The usual complaints are "It will bring crime!" or "It will degrade the neighborhood!" "Those people are immoral criminals!"

Well, d*mn it -- it seems Dick and Jane Uptight are spot-on correct about it.

We (Mr/Mrs SJ Bluebirds) did not attend this club; we -- and others -- have known the owner was 'unsavory' at best. But we thought as long as he kept things above-board and legal, nobody who attends the club would be affected.

But now I'm p*ssed off about it, and now understand that this sets any and all advances in sexual tolerance back 50 years in this community. This is why we can't have nice things.

F*ck it.
    • By Swingers5209
      Hi, so wife and I are comfortable with the swingers lifestyle but we have said that we are both ok with sleeping with people separately. However, we have come across a problem and I'm not sure if I'm the problem or if she is.

My wife has been in the lifestyle for far longer than me and has a vast amount of experience. A while ago we went to a club and there she met the club manager and they started talking. After leaving the club they carried on chatting on a daily basis, and when I asked her what they where talking about she would say that they always talk about work or stuff friends would talk about. However  last night i found out that they have been flirting with each other.

Problem is when we started swinging we said that communication is the most important thing to keep us safe from any complications.

I feel that we have to discuss and inform each other when we are talking or flirting with others and she feels that there is no need to inform me if she is flirting with others. 

Am I been unreasonable by asking her to tell me when she is flirting with guys and is it unreasonable for me to have gotten upset about her telling me they only talk about work stuff only to find out there is more involved?
    • By JAPrufrock
      So I logged into Facebook today and my news feed had blown up with all the mention of the Ashley Madison hack and the fact that the leaked data appears to be valid. I'm not going to lie, despite the fact that Mr. Prufrock and I don't have an account with AM, my stomach dropped thinking about it. We do have accounts on SLS and SZC.

When I read the articles, I was mostly upset for the broken families that are going to come from all this. Yeah, the parents messed up, but the kids are going to pay the price

I briefly thought about deleting our accounts, but I'm not sure that would do anything. Apparently, AM didn't delete user's information after accounts were deleted, I wonder how many sites follow suit.

So what about you guys? How do you all feel about online security and swinger's personals sites? Are you worried about your information? Will you close your accounts?
    • By NewEscapadesCT
      So, we've really been looking into our local swing club. We both like the idea, but ours is, to put it nicely, scary looking. It's an old, run-down house in a bad part of town. The reviews I've read don't do a lot to make it more enticing. Frankly, it's not a place that makes either of us feel safe (or that it's very clean), and so it doesn't seem like a fun, sexy place to spend an evening.

Curious if others have found this? What's your club like? Did you just get over the look and feel, and decide to give it a try?