View Poll Results: Do you look at history?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I often look at past posts of users before responding to new ones

7 15.22%
  • No, I just take each post at face value

8 17.39%
  • Occasionally, if something doesn't seem right I'll look back.

29 63.04%
  • You can look at a users history of posts? How?

2 4.35%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
The Swingers Board - The Swingers Board - The Original Swingers Lifestyle Community, forums,
    Status
    Female
    SLS Handle
    swingersboard

Default Reading History

I wonder how often when reading a person's posts you go back and look at their past posts? As an admin I end up doing this a lot and I know the other mods do it quite a bit as well. Often it takes reading past posts from a user to really understand a current post they make and other times it just confuses you more because you realize that what they are saying in a current post makes no sense in light of past posts.

So I wonder how often regular members do this. I know no one reads every post posted on this site (if you do you really need to join SBA - Swingers Board Anonymous - for that addiction you have) - but even if you did read every post you can't always remember what someone said previously.

I guess if anything this post is a reminder to look back and examine members as a whole when you read their posts. Sometimes it may be their first post and you don't have anything else to look back at, but other times... they may have a whole history you are unaware of and it may be worth knowing.
    The Swinger Manual - all the info from the Swingers Board in one convenient book

Status
    On the prowl for man meat
    SLS Handle
    lost_j1

Default Re: Reading History

Are you saying I'm a sicko, or what
    Merry Christmas and a Ho Ho Ho
    Shelly

Care to join us??? jennandjamesinm's Avatar
    Status
    Couple
    SLS Handle
    jennandjamesinms

On occasion, I go back to read someone's posts to try and get a feel for where they are coming from or if their situation isn't sitting quite right. Most of the time though, I do try to take their post at face value, with a bunch of what my own instinct tells me about the post and how and if I respond to it.

Jenn
    "Swinging is the women's amusement park, and men are just along for the thrill ride." ~ James

Swingers Board Addict VanHlebar's Avatar
    Status
    S

Yea, sometimes I will do "homework" on a person before I post, but then again, sometimes they just have way too many posts to bother with. If something seems odd, then I will spend a little time looking around, but more often then not I go based on the post I am reading and what I can remember of the user.

-Van

Status
    Couple

I voted no. Usually if a post triggers my "something's fishy" or "troll" radar, I look at the number of posts that person has to date. Usually, it's a pretty low number, and I just don't take it seriously or respond. I can remember on a few occasions though, where folks have gone back and caught discrepencies in a seemingly sincere poster's previous offerings where it may have been worth the trouble.

Status
    Single Male

Nope. I just take posts at face value.

Although I'm a daily visitor, I'm not all that a frequent poster nor am I here to pick up couples or women (or men! LOL). To that end, fakes aren't a particular concern for me.

There was a time on other boards where I kept close touch of several posting histories and could smell bullshit a mile away. Eventually, it became more a hassle than it was worth.

These days, I don't particularly give two hoots and a holler. I either answer topics or I answer the posts closer to the present time history (ie. if the topic is a couple of years old).

I just wanna post my opinions and let it ride. I'm not interested in gauging others' honesty levels. Ain't like I'm ever going to meet 99.99% of you!

But I still luv yas and your contributions!

Swingers Board Addict
    Status
    Couple
    SLS Handle
    EdisonCarter

In the past a couple of people have read all our posts to have a sense of us sexually, but not to understand a specific post, but to decide if they want to email us about meeting.

Status
    Female
    SLS Handle
    swingersboard

Quote Originally Posted by Edison Carter
    In the past a couple of people have read all our posts to have a sense of us sexually, but not to understand a specific post, but to decide if they want to email us about meeting.
    That's interesting. I hadn't thought of it being useful for that reason - but then I don't often think about people using this site to meet others to "hook up" with. Reading past posts would allow you to get a sense of where someone is in the lifestyle, what their experiences are, and what they are looking for - probably much more so than most any ad would do.

Status
    On the prowl for man meat
    SLS Handle
    lost_j1

Quote Originally Posted by VanHlebar
    Yea, sometimes I will do "homework" on a person before I post, but then again, sometimes they just have way too many posts to bother with. If something seems odd, then I will spend a little time looking around, but more often then not I go based on the post I am reading and what I can remember of the user.

-Van
    Stifler is talking about people like me lol,

People who got ISSUES.

Merry Christmas and a Ho Ho Ho
    Shelly

Sarah&Roger's Female Half flkeyscouple's Avatar
    Status
    couple-female half
    SLS Handle
    floridakeyscouple

I've always taken the posts at face value. I've never even thought of reading through the history. I would probably have thought of it if I found a post that I thought was particularily questionable - or if I thought I remembered something that someone had said before that contradicted something they were saying now. But so far - haven't used it.

But thanks for the suggestion!

Sarah

Swingers Board Addict
    Status
    Couple
    SLS Handle
    EdisonCarter

Quote Originally Posted by JustAskJulie
    That's interesting. I hadn't thought of it being useful for that reason - but then I don't often think about people using this site to meet others to "hook up" with. Reading past posts would allow you to get a sense of where someone is in the lifestyle, what their experiences are, and what they are looking for - probably much more so than most any ad would do.
    Also, after people read the stories I've posted on Swingersboard, I'll get IM's when I'm on SLS asking for my opinion or more on my experiences in the Lifestyle. Most are sincere folks and I want to answer as much as I can. It's actually quite flattering. One gets the occassional weirdo too, but I never let them bother me.

It's not easy being easy. sexyshelby's Avatar
    Status
    Person

For the regular posters, I kind of get a sense of where they are coming from just by having read their posts in the past. But I don't go back and re-read other posts. I don't have time for that.

I'm here to have fun. Re-reading a person's old posts before responding to a current one would spoil the fun for me.

Although, I did do this once. I knew that a poster was contradicting what she had said in a previous post, so I had to go find it just to prove to myself I wasn't going crazy! (Which I really am anyway! )

~SS
    What's love got to do with it?

MrsVan

I do not typically do any research on another persons post unless I know of a post that may have contradicted something he/she may have said. The only time I do any research on posts is if someone sends me on a hunt to reply to one of their posts that I may have not responded too.

MrsVan

Status
    Married Female
    SLS Handle
    rpu3

Quote Originally Posted by JustAskJulie
    Hi Julie:

First and foremost, the site is a advice/support community to me and not a "hook up" site. But I'm sure the occasional hook up happens with a member or two.

And, um, as one in that category, um, one of the deciding factors to go ahead with it were the past posts. No, I didn't read everything the OP had ever written (mostly because as much as I'm on the internet, I don't have THAT much time). I was able to read enough relevent posts to say that the odds of having a good time were actually pretty good, that the OP was not rude, offensive or in the dreaded liar/player category. The OP must not have read my past posts since the OP still showed up!

Upon a bit of reflection, it was actually more useful than any profile on the swing sites.

Otherwise, I may read past posts if I'm wondering if a post is a troll or a bait post. I'm on the board too much anyway and as such, I'm usually caught up.
    I'll give up my bad habits as soon as equally satisfying good habits become available. A. Brilliant

Swingers Board Addict Sweet_Candy's Avatar
    Status
    Couple

Had to vote never read past history as well. Like to think a new post is like a gift waiting to be unwrapped. Going and looking up history of the giver would take the surprise out of the content and jade my hopefully "fresh eyes" approach to reading the current post.
    Sweet_Candy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast