twofortwomaybe

Think I was given GHB at a party--not sure?

We are new this swinging thing, but not new to parties or drugs. I spent time in my youth doing a lot of stupid things, but I have never blacked out or lost control to the point I did last night. And my partner worked in a club in London during the 90s. I haven't touched anything but booze since 1995, but I remember enough to know what being drugged feels like.

We got to a house party with hosts we know, but a lot of people attending we did not know. We brought our own bottle, fixed drinks with communal mixer, cups and ice. This afternoon, I recall that I set my drink down a few feet away from the table, and had to lean in to grab the diet soda. I added soda, put back the bottle tasted it and needed to add more, the drink tasted way too strong. Leaned in again to grab the diet coke add more to the drink and put it back.

We sat down and caught up with some good friends we haven't seen in awhile, we moved locations and I finished my first drink. Mid-way through the first drink, I remember become acutely aware small things, like bugs flying around, and the patio lights feeling really bright. I also remember feeling shaky and I told my partner that I took my meds but I feel like I haven't. I soon forgot this, and went on with the evening.

What he tells me happened next, I have very little recollection of. I am normally pretty introverted, and I went to full on social mode: dancing, being very blunt with intentions, and way more suggestive than I normally am. He didn't think anything of it at the time, other than two drinks hit me much harder than usual. He continued to fix me ice water from this point forward from my same cup and he stopped drinking. We kept making trips to the bathroom, I had to pee much more than I usually do--which is saying a lot. He said I was walking straight but looked like I could fall over at any time.

The next thing I remember is sitting in a chair, not really talking. I couldn't feel my pulse, my face felt numb as did most of my limbs. The word "dissociated" is the only thing I could describe it as. I remember it was harder to breath than normal and time passed extremely slow. At this point he got concerned. We went to the bathroom, where he got a look at my pupils. They were very dilated (not as much as they would be on LSD) but dilated enough with poor reaction time and constriction when light was shone into them.

We sat for awhile, and I started to feel shaky, and panicked yet extremely relaxed. He had stopped drinking when I had first showed signs of being drunk. We spoke to hosts, there was a nurse on sight, and I know they were hesitant to believe that I only had two drinks. I probably looked and sounded like I had 8-10 drinks. When I only had two, in two hours, and this was nearing four hours after arrival. My pulse at that point was erratic, and I had tremors. She advised if it got worse go to an ER, and that it seemed like I was having anxiety or a panic attack. I know it was not that.

On the way home, I shivered and was trembling. We contemplated going to the ER, but were at least 40 minutes from any hospital and I kept saying I just need to ride it out. It took a long while for my breathing and pulse to return to normal. Even this morning (10 hours after my first drink) my pulse was at 124, and my BP was 110/68, where I normally run 125/80. He kept me awake until I was breathing more regularly, and then he sat up and watched me sleep for a couple of hours.

None of the walk in clinics will run a GHB tox screen, and it isn't worth going to the hospital. We saved urine that I passed about 5 hours after we got to the party, and will send it to a lab that does screen for this.

I finally passed out, in a heavy sleep around 1030 AM (12 hours after arriving at the party) when I woke up around 100PM I felt as if I had just woken up after taking 2 doses of children's benadryl. I am really sensitive to medications/drugs/chemicals and I assume the dose I was given was small, but I run on a low toxin and chemical food program, and I am allergic to everything, so what would have probably just made a normal person a little more relaxed, hit me like a ton of bricks and close enough that I would have gone to the hospital if we had been closer to one than we were to home.

What we are bothered by, is that in FL, the couple of people I have talked to, said this isn't uncommon. I almost two decades living in NYC, did tons of partying and never had anything like this happen. It is so shameful and disgusting that people in their mid-thirties behave like this. I have medical problems, which is why I chose to stop doing drugs in my teenage years. And getting dosed with something, unknowingly, by people who are lying about their intentions really sits poorly.

Part of me wanted to vent and another part of me wants to cry. What if we both had been given something? What if he didn't recognize signs of drug usage and know to keep me safe? I had no idea what was happening. I needed to talk to someone, and rant about the situation. We've done tons of crazy things and I never imagined anything like this would ever happen. In all the years I lived in the city, and all the parties and shows and sex clubs I have been to, I never heard of anyone having this happen.

Based on internet reading, it sounds like GHB. Has anyone else had something like this happen? Is this frequent in the lifestyle? Is it worse in places like FL?

Other than the occasional story like yours that I read online (and I mean very occasional - I've maybe read 2 or 3), I've never heard of it happening. Although I'm sure recreational drug use is more common in certain areas and with certain people in the lifestyle, most swingers seem to agree that keeping your wits about you is best so they limit the amount of alcohol is consumed and all other drugs are a no-go. Period.

This is why they always tell people to keep their drinks in their hands or with a trusted friend/family member at all times. I know a few of my friends are super paranoid and will ONLY drink bottled beverages (beer, wine coolers, etc) that don't have to be mixed just to be safe (or at least feel safe). Hubby has gotten into the habit of keeping one hand over the cup/holding onto it while reaching with the other - mostly to keep someone else from knocking it over, but also so that if anyone did try to add something, he would feel it. I don't mix drinks, but I do make sure that if I leave a cup unattended AT ALL, I get a new one.

What did the hosts have to say? I would think (or maybe hope) this happening would cause them to severely pare down their potential guest list next time they plan a party!

I'm really glad you're (mostly) okay and that your partner was able to take such good care of you through all of this. Once again, to my knowledge, it isn't that common with MOST swingers but swingers are normal people so there will be a few with whom drug use is popular, I'm sure.

I don't have any direct experience with ghb, luckily. However, I know it happens. That said, you mentioned at the beginning of your post that the initial feeling was akin to not having taken your meds. Have you researched to find out if any of your meds have interactions when mixed with alcohol? Just a thought, and definitely something to be aware of.

No words of wisdom to offer, but wanted to say I am sorry this happened to you. It's not something I have ever considered or ever heard of happening in our neck of the woods.

I hope you feel better and get the answers you need. ((((((HUGS)))))))

I am shocked to hear that your walkin clinics won't run a tox screen for GHB!

I don't have any direct experience with ghb, luckily. However, I know it happens. That said, you mentioned at the beginning of your post that the initial feeling was akin to not having taken your meds. Have you researched to find out if any of your meds have interactions when mixed with alcohol? Just a thought, and definitely something to be aware of.

Thanks for the thought. I have been on the same meds for a number of years, and am a frequent drinker, moderate amounts-I have never had a reaction before and know that even if I did my pupils wouldn't be dilated to the size they were. And there is no way that the amount of liquor I had (2 drinks worth) would have related like that. If you haven't done drugs, there are usually two types of experiences. This is something I need to flush out (water, bathroom, vomit) vs something I have to ride out (wait it out, like a bad trip). This was definitely the later and not something I had ever cared to experience again.

Yes, as a follow up. It was GHB, had confirmation today from an at home test kit.

Anyone looking for something like this can find at home kits on testclear.

We also sent some urine to an actual lab, you need to search for independent forensic labs such as:abqcrimelab, thecarlsoncompany, and toxassociates.com

They will run urine collected within a few days of the incident, and hair 30 days after event. They are pricey.

Remember, folks ... I'm just a hick Okie. What is GHB?

Alura

Remember, folks ... I'm just a hick Okie. What is GHB?

Alura

Gamma-hydroxybutyric acid: Date rape drug, roofies, rohypnol

I never heard of it. I think I'm glad. My guess is that somebody other than Mother Earth and Father Sky created it. Therefore, it can't be good.

Alura

alura, keep in mind mother earth created foxglove, aka digitalis. It can kill you if you dont have a heart problem and save you if you do.

GHB and Rohypnol are two different things. GHB is actually more dangerous as a "recreational" drug as it is often synthetically "homemade" from some very nasty ingredients, like chemical solvents. From what you described before your confirmation, I would have made the same guess. I'm very glad you are ok, although I would advise against riding something like this out... you are setting yourself up for serious medical complications by risking detox on your own. You would have been much safer being under medical care to ensure your health.

I was given GHB once in a bar during my birthday celebration... some birthday.. I spent most of it vomiting and sleeping in my car in a drenching sweat until I finally gave up and went to the ER. Good thing I did as I was severely dehydrated by that point. While I didn't treasure having to explain that someone slipped something into my drink at a bar, getting medical attention was worth it.

I also didn't know what GHB. After reading the whole thread, I'm glad you are okay, twofortwo (and you, too, Hippie!) How very, very, very scary. These types of stories make me so thankful that I have Mr. Sunbuckus to accompany me and protect me if anything like this were to happen.

It sounds more like ketamime to me. My wife and I are no strangers to drugs. We do not use them anymore. I don't even consume alcohol. I've been pretty firm with not playing with drug users. Alcohol and the green stuff is OK even though I don't smoke it. Absolutely no amphetamines, hard opioids, cocaine, or these new designer drugs! My biggest concern with these party drugs is that we live in an age where someone with a basic knowledge of chemistry and biology can create a compound and order it up in bulk from online labs from less regulated countries. These compounds are similar to the effects of known and more studied drugs with virtually unknown physiological effects. Serotonin poisoning is becoming more common because these compounds make their way into the drug trade masquerading as the real thing. I have had old friends who lost their lives this way. Not to mention the higher risk of disease from hard drug users. Now, we are all grown and your personal life is yours, but if you have track marks or your eyes are blasted, you are not playing with us and if that kind of activity is going on at a party we are out. If someone ever drugged me they best not ever let me find out or they will be spending the rest of their lives on pain medication.

GHB and Rohypnol are two different things. GHB is actually more dangerous as a "recreational" drug as it is often synthetically "homemade" from some very nasty ingredients, like chemical solvents. From what you described before your confirmation, I would have made the same guess. I'm very glad you are ok, although I would advise against riding something like this out... you are setting yourself up for serious medical complications by risking detox on your own. You would have been much safer being under medical care to ensure your health.

I was given GHB once in a bar during my birthday celebration... some birthday.. I spent most of it vomiting and sleeping in my car in a drenching sweat until I finally gave up and went to the ER. Good thing I did as I was severely dehydrated by that point. While I didn't treasure having to explain that someone slipped something into my drink at a bar, getting medical attention was worth it.

Yes she is correct. The GHB we played with when we were teenagers was either clandestine manufactured from floor stripper and some formulas of floor stripper had the effects when consumed directly. GHB is not the only compound that has these effects. There are many similar compounds. Strangely enough they stem from the body builder steroid scene because during normal sleep your body stops processing proteins and during GHB sleep it does not. They build muscle in their sleep. GHB is not as commonly used for sexual assault as most believe but it does happen. Most responsible dealers will strongly flavor and brightly color their compound or compound it onto blotter sheets similar to LSD to prevent it's use in sexual assault.

We had a similar experience at a meet and greet in Reading Pa in 2004. We were both drinking wine but not paying too much attention to our glasses. I finished the drink and a short while later, experienced symptoms much the same as the OP. I'm a career police officer and did UC narcotics for years so I should have been more careful. I knew something was not right so Mrs Doc drove us home. I don't remember much from the ride or anything after we walked in the house till about 10:00 the next morning. We discussed the incident at length afterwards and she remembers a guy next to us at the bar who was paying her a whole lot of attention. We think he dosed her wine which I inadvertently finished, effectively dashing his hopes for the evening. We think it was a roofie or perhaps ketamine. It was a truly frightening experience and I'm sorry the OP had it happen to her. However, I'm really glad that I drank the tainted wine, not Mrs Doc. From that point on, if we're at a public event, we NEVER put our drinks down.

but if you have track marks or your eyes are blasted, you are not playing with us and if that kind of activity is going on at a party we are out. If someone ever drugged me they best not ever let me find out or they will be spending the rest of their lives on pain medication.

Wait, you have encountered playmates with track marks?

I will readily admit we have bailed from really engaging a couple/partner because they were just too blasted, either alcohol or frankly something a lot stronger...but yet to see track marks or other more visible signs (you know the acne, gum, pale looking thing).

Drug use was one of the reasons I dropped out of swinging or group sex in the early 1980s. Cocaine was a plague then, & there were a number of others, still around and some now rare. These days I'm a lot more adamant up front about no drug use.

• Like 2