sunbuckus

You say Instead Cup. I say DivaCup. Let's call the whole thing off.

I have no idea where to place this question so I'm sure this thread will be appropriately moved by one of the moderators.

Anyway, I've heard of these Instead Softcups, DivaCups, etc. around the forum. I haven't tried it and I haven't seen them at the store. I decided to do some light researching tonight and even though I'd love to ditch the usual products and replace them with one of these cups, I am pretty squeamish. So, do any forum members use these regularly? Did you have a hard time adjusting to them? Did you try them and hate them? Do you only use them for swing events or the entire duration of The Monthly?

That's because Mr. Sun has never had the experience of fishing around in his lady bits for some foreign object or other. I thought it was hilarious. ;)

So, I've never used the cup, but playmates and an ex-girlfriend have. Contrary to the review, it's not like it's hidden in the Grand Canyon. Instead, it's easy to feel but unobtrusive and nearly impossible to dislodge merely by penetration; you have to grasp it and pull. Everyone I know who uses them loves them, but that's a self-selected group, because how would I know to question those who don't use them?

I use something similar for at least part of the time, and when my monthly interrupts fun events it's a godsend. Like Maui said, it's not completely unnoticed by your partners, but it's a good alternative.

I used the Instead cups until I had endometrial ablation. I had always used tampons previously. I used the Instead all the time and really liked it. I am not sqeamish at all about my body or my period. The first few times you use it I would suggest taking it out in the shower while naked. Once you get the hang of it it's great. My period was never particularly heavy, I think if yours is really heavy it might not work as well.

My husband doesn't like it because he can feel it and says it rubs, but he goes on forever. I never actually used it while playing with anyone else, but if I had the opportunity i would have. My husband did play with someone using it with a condom, and he could feel it but it didn't hurt.

The instead cups are disposable, the Diva Cup you use over and over. I never got one because I had the ablation, if I hadn't I would have one, because I'm kind of a hippy with recycling and such. My understanding is that the shape of the Diva Cup doesn't work well for having sex with it in. The Diva cup is pretty expensive initially, but not a bad deal over time since use re-use it. I'd try the Instead first to see if you like the general idea.

Some people use a natural sea sponge inserted against the cervix and say that works really well for having sex during your period. I've never tried it. I don't know if that's something you wash and re-use or how big you would cut it. I would worry about bacterial growth and washing it properly.

Anyhow, I think both the instead and diva cups are great products. Let us know if you try either.

Upon reading some reviews, it sounds like the instead is easier to put in, you don't have to twist it and it doesn't suction. It can be a little tricky to get out the first couple times, hence my shower advice. Two beers might be a good idea too.

I have used the sea sponge and all you have to do is rinse it out and shove it back in. Of course there are "bacteria" but if you have a healthy immune system and no STD or BV, then there is no risk of giving yourself something by having the sponge in there. They also absorb cum, which if you rinse out in a timely manner also does not give you an infection (except if the guy DOES have a STI, but not just from cum + sponge + blood). I used sea sponges exclusively for years and the only problem is that i had a hard time finding them in stores, so i ordered some online. If you buy them as "makeup" sponges they are way less expensive than the ones that are sold as "menstrual" sponges. They do not need to be cut up - they occur in various sizes and you can self-determine when to use the larger ones and when to use the smaller ones, same as you would with tampons or pads. Sponges would typically each last me about 6-8 cycles, using a rotation of 2 sponges per period, approximately. The only issue i experienced is how to discreetly wash it in public rest rooms. What i would do is either use the handicapped stall with a sink, or wad it up in some toilet paper and use a sink with nobody near enough to see the soap turning pink between my hands. Eww, huh? Lol. Oh and yes i did use soap to wash them but it's not necessary every time. Once per day, at least.

Anyway, I stopped using sponges when i got my hysterectomy. Yay for hysterectomies! I could probably say more about the sponge but I find typing on the ipod irksome. Had to put this out there though because there seem to be a lot of misconceptions and myths and incorrect assumptions surrounding the use of anything non-mainstream when it comes to feminine hygiene products.

If anyone has any questions about the use of the sea sponge for this purpose, I would be happy to try to answer them, either here or in private messages.

• Like 1

Mrs two4you attempted to use the Instead cup 8 or 9 years ago. I can't recall the details, but she didn't care for it.

This past year, we passed into the "Don't have to worry about that shit anymore" zone.

It's one of the awesome things about getting older. :)

I've used the diva cup for a while now. I love it. Dh helps with insertion as I have cerebral palsy and have some flex issues. Diva cups aren't suitable for sex as they hang down in the vagina and take up the space where a penis would go. The suction effect has the added bonus of creating a shorter period. Yay! The only problems I've had with removal are when my flow is too light and doesn't weigh the cup enough. Then it takes some pushing.

The instead cup runs parallel in the vagina and seats itself behind the pubic bone. I haven't tried intercourse with one yet.

I also have a small meluna cup. It has a ring on the stem, and sometimes I'll loop cotton yarn thru it to help with retrieval. They have honestly been lifesavers; sometimes bathroom breaks don't happen at work, and I can go all day with the diva cup.

Have used the Instead previously and loved it. Easy to use and remove and would only use it for play. Haven't used it in years! Now I wondering if I should head to the Walgreens and look for some...

Wow, thanks for all of the responses, guys! Without going too much into the TMI-realm I really dislike the first 3 days but the 2nd day the most and feel like I need to be confined at home because of it. Overall, it sounds like the Instead Cup/sea sponge would be good to use if you desire to have sex during that time. But if you don't, then the DivaCup or MeLuna because it's reusable. Honestly though, I wish the damn thing would just go away forever!

Honestly though, I wish the damn thing would just go away forever!

If you could get a hysterectomy, would you?

Because they do them with a minimally invasive laparoscopic robot now, no more two week hospital stay and c-section scar. I would have pushed for mine ten years sooner if they had that technology.

Of course this is not an option if you aren't finished getting pregnant.

If you could get a hysterectomy, would you?

Because they do them with a minimally invasive laparoscopic robot now, no more two week hospital stay and c-section scar. I would have pushed for mine ten years sooner if they had that technology.

Of course this is not an option if you aren't finished getting pregnant.

I'm not sure. I still do think of a hysterectomy as being major surgery because I remember my mom being at the hospital when she had one and I remember missing her like crazy. Did you have the MIP version or the open surgery?

I'm not sure. I still do think of a hysterectomy as being major surgery because I remember my mom being at the hospital when she had one and I remember missing her like crazy. Did you have the MIP version or the open surgery?

Even though the procedure is less invasive and far less physically traumatic than it used to be, it's still major surgery. I had a hysterectomy the old fashioned way when my son was a few months old. He's old enough to vote now and I still miss my cervix.

...I still miss my cervix.

This made me curious...is there a noticeable difference of feeling down there before and after? In what way(s) do you miss it?

This made me curious...is there a noticeable difference of feeling down there before and after? In what way(s) do you miss it?

There is a particular kind of orgasm that seems to require a cervix, or at least I stopped having them when my cervix was removed. It wasn't a better orgasm or anything, but it was another way to respond to stimuli. Given the upside of no more of the things that made a hysterectomy advisable, it was a fair trade, but still. I wouldn't have done it without some overwhelming health issues.

There is a particular kind of orgasm that seems to require a cervix, or at least I stopped having them when my cervix was removed. It wasn't a better orgasm or anything, but it was another way to respond to stimuli. Given the upside of no more of the things that made a hysterectomy advisable, it was a fair trade, but still. I wouldn't have done it without some overwhelming health issues.

Ahh! Thanks for clearing that up. :) I was starting to worry that there was a physical feeling of being more open or empty or the silly notion of things jiggling around inside. :rollseye:

sunbuckus said:

Oh it IS major surgery. I had to stay home on bed-rest for six weeks. It cuts you up inside. However, I was out of the hospital the same day. It was minimally invasive, the DaVinci method uses a laparoscopic robot with four or five arms. My gyn was one of the doctors that pioneered this technique in the US. It leaves 5 small scars, one on the belly button and two on each side.

mauijanedoe said:

You are referring to the "A-spot", which is the anterior fornix, located behind the cervix. I suppose having ones cervix removed might cause numbness or nerve damage to the area, and i was worried about not being able to enjoy deep thrusting and penetration because of that. In my case, however, it actually IMPROVED those sensations, it's like my cervix was in the way and now that it's gone i can actually reach the fun-buttons better. I had my first of many squirting-gasms AFTER the hysterectomy, and i would not go back to the way it was before even if someone paid me a million dollars.

Oh it IS major surgery. I had to stay home on bed-rest for six weeks. It cuts you up inside. However, i was out of the hospitl the same day. It was minimally invasive, the DaVinci method uses a laparoscopic robot with four or five arms. My gyn was one of the doctors that pioneered this technique in the US. It leaves 5 small scars, one on the belly button and two on each side.

Ugh! Bed rest for 6 weeks?!? I don't think I (or my family) could handle that. lol

sunbuckus said:
Ugh! Bed rest for 6 weeks?!? I don't think I (or my family) could handle that. lol

I had complications, so I was in the hospital for a week, but by the end of week two I was walking a mile twice a day. Good thing, because my kids were one 4 years old and the other 5 months old and their dad traveled. I did have to nap every day for a few weeks, though. ;)

Yeah, it's not a choice to make unless you really have to.

sunbuckus said:

Well yeah, I could get up and do stuff, cook, eat, shower, use the toilet, do small chores, etc. i wasn't confined to bed, but I took the percosets for about a week, & no lifting more than ten pounds, no sitting in chairs, and no vaginal penetration. I did even clean the litter boxes by myself. It was all worth it to be rid of that annoying, useless uterus.

I have considered using these before, but haven't gotten around to it yet. But I'm more interested in what some of you are saying about intercourse while using it. During the minimal research I did, I didn't realize you could have intercourse with a cup inserted. I have to admit, it weirds me out a little bit, but more than likely just because I have never considered it before. I mean, DH and I have sex while Aunt Flow is visiting but I'm not sure I feel comfortable, at least at this point, to try it with a play partner. How well does it stay in place? No leakage? Is it comfortable? Some of you have answered these questions, but I'd like to know more if anyone else has something to add.

Oh that reminds me - you can also use a diaphragm for this purpose, with or without the spermicide, depending on whether you also need that form of contraception. I used to do that back in the day, before these "cups" and "caps" were on the market. At some point my body must have changed shape or something because having the diaphragm in started making me get UTI's, and it was the smallest size so I just stopped using it altogether. But it worked great; you just have to remember not to forget about it or... TMI.

I have considered using these before, but haven't gotten around to it yet. But I'm more interested in what some of you are saying about intercourse while using it. During the minimal research I did, I didn't realize you could have intercourse with a cup inserted. I have to admit, it weirds me out a little bit, but more than likely just because I have never considered it before. I mean, DH and I have sex while Aunt Flow is visiting but I'm not sure I feel comfortable, at least at this point, to try it with a play partner. How well does it stay in place? No leakage? Is it comfortable? Some of you have answered these questions, but I'd like to know more if anyone else has something to add.

The only cup you can have intercourse with is the Instead cup. The other cups fit differently and there is no way a penis is going there too. :)

I haven't used the Instead cup with intercourse yet as the last time I didn't put it in correctly and it leaked a bit. Depending on the size of the guy and the shape of your body I've heard that the men don't feel it at all to they can feel something but it's not annoying enough to not have sex, to that thing is rubbing me and I don't like it.

ref2018, I've been meaning to ask about the sponges...do they make things "dry" inside like tampons do sometimes?

ref2018, I've been meaning to ask about the sponges...do they make things "dry" inside like tampons do sometimes?

I'm not sure what it's like for you, or if I'm understanding what you are trying to convey by putting the word "dry" in quotes, but to answer according to what I remember about using tampons - I don't think so. Tampons are made of tightly packed layers of cotton, and are capable of absorbing at least several times their weight in liquid. They are designed to wick moisture and fluids toward the center. Sea sponges, OTOH, consist of naturally occurring, heteromorphic, and loosely-packed (relative to the construction of tampons) material with comparatively less fluid capacity. They also, for lack of a better term, "breathe", meaning that the fluid inside gets squished around and continuously mingled with fresh fluids. This is part of the reason why tampons are an ideal breeding ground for TSS. The bacteria that causes TSS likes the close festering environment inside a tampon, while sponges, diaphragms, caps, cups, etc. do not absorb and cloister the necessary components for the microorganism to multiply out of control. I realize you didn't ask that, but I've been asked it before and i know i'm probably not being thorough, but this advice is free to all of you and can be looked up on Google. I am sure there are people with better credentials than mine who would disagree, also. But this theory makes sense to me, having a little bit of background in science.

IN practical terms, what this means is that if you have extremely heavy flow, you might want to try a variety of things, including using more than one sponge, the largest sponge you can find (btw, artificial sponges are not recommended, i'm GUESSING probably because of the TSS. I imagine how hard it is to get all the soap out of a man-made sponge - perhaps play a while with the two and compare, you will notice how much faster it is to rinse all the soap out of a sea sponge), wearing a rag or panty-liner, and of course rinsing out the sponge as required. I used to then blot it with a paper towel after squeezing out as much water as possible.

tl;dr - The sponge is less likely to suck up your sauce to the point of dryness, but you need to pay attention so you know when it's time to do "general maintenance".

I'm not sure what it's like for you, or if I'm understanding what you are trying to convey by putting the word "dry" in quotes, but to answer according to what I remember about using tampons - I don't think so. Tampons are made of tightly packed layers of cotton, and are capable of absorbing at least several times their weight in liquid. They are designed to wick moisture and fluids toward the center.

Yes, this was what I was referring to. I had seen a lot of posts online about women complaining about this and realized that I have experienced this as well but I figured it was normal at the end of a period.

Yes, this was what I was referring to. I had seen a lot of posts online about women complaining about this and realized that I have experienced this as well but I figured it was normal at the end of a period.

It could be... after all the vagina has "weather patterns" at different times of the cycle. But even so, it makes sense logically that if you put something absorbent inside one, it will remove moisture faster/better than if you don't put something inside (for example, if you used a pad or rag instead of a tampon). If the wetness is tapering off ANYway, having one up in there would seem to make it even less wet. Of course, using a sponge won't ADD moisture or lubrication, but I recommend trying them because it isn't a huge expense or waste of money if you decide it isn't for you.

The only thing about the sponge is that you do need to feel comfortable reaching up inside your own vagina with your hand. There is just no way to avoid that. But after the kinds of things I've seen people asking about elsewhere on this site, I am hard-pressed to believe that would be a problem for anyone here.

It could be... after all the vagina has "weather patterns" at different times of the cycle. But even so, it makes sense logically that if you put something absorbent inside one, it will remove moisture faster/better than if you don't put something inside (for example, if you used a pad or rag instead of a tampon). If the wetness is tapering off ANYway, having one up in there would seem to make it even less wet. Of course, using a sponge won't ADD moisture or lubrication, but I recommend trying them because it isn't a huge expense or waste of money if you decide it isn't for you.

The only thing about the sponge is that you do need to feel comfortable reaching up inside your own vagina with your hand. There is just no way to avoid that. But after the kinds of things I've seen people asking about elsewhere on this site, I am hard-pressed to believe that would be a problem for anyone here.

I wonder if there is a general measurement of how much a sea sponge absorbs dependent on how big it is or a direct comparison of x-size of tampons absorbs x-amount and a y-size sponge absorbs x-amount.

I have to admit, one of the reasons why I was hesitant on the sponge or cup option was that it seemed to require reaching in...really, really, really far inside. (I was also scared of the sponge/cup getting "lost" inside and the mess factor.) Let's just say that I might be posting my own personal review on the Instead softcups and DivaCup soon. :)

I do have trouble getting the Diva cup out if it's not full-ish. I did get a Meluna, see here MeLuna menstrual cups the one with the ring on the bottom of it. I loop cotton yarn through the ring and it hangs down like a tampon string, allowing me to pull it down into reach. It works great. (I change the yarn out every time I empty the cup)

As far as the mess factor goes, there really isn't much. If you're worried about it, empty the cup in the shower. I'm telling you, these things hold a ton! I've rarely had to change the cup out during the middle of the day. The key to getting the cup out is to break the seal with your finger or else it hurts. I pull the cup down with the string to the point it starts to feel not so nice, then reach in and just give it a push on it's side. This breaks the seal and allows it to be pulled out without discomfort.

Ok, so I've been having issues with adjusting to my latest BC attempt, and as a result have had over a month of spotting (could last for 3 months..grr)

At any rate, the Instead cup got a thorough test run last night. Here are my observations:

1. It's important to get the cup seated properly.

2. While the cup is in, don't bear down for any reason ie. a bowel movement or trying to hurry a pee, as this will cause the cup to leak. As an aside, I've read of people emptying their cups this way, without taking them out.

3. If you do bear down and cause the cup to leak, it isn't a permanent thing and the cup goes back to doing it's job in short order.

4. I played with two men last night, both of whom were aware of what was going on and game to be guinea pigs, one was average size and one slightly bigger. Neither could feel a thing. I had 'normal' sex (for lack of a better term) and got pounded also. The cup performed superbly! No leaking either time, and we didn't end up with a ring toss situation either

All in all I was so pleased with how it performed.

Disclaimer: There is a lot of TMI and period talk so if that turns you off, stop reading! Reading any further and being disgusted by it is your own fault because I warned you!

I purchased the Instead Cup and a DivaCup back in December. I was going to try my hand at writing my experience with both but I wanted to have one more cycle just to make sure.

From the very beginning, I felt that the DivaCup was probably more what I wanted since it wasn't disposable and it seemed more durable and able to hold more fluid in one shot. So, I might have a bias for the DivaCup from the very start. I looked at my regular stores that I shop at for the DivaCup. I didn't see it at any of them. One of the more popular pharmacy type stores had the Instead Cup but the pricing made me hesitate. Good thing, too, because I went to my regular grocery store and it was $2 cheaper! Of course, I didn't see it right away because it wasn't stocked with the feminine menstrual products...it was located on the highest shelf and hidden among the vaginal creams. What was it doing there?? It ain't no cream!

Well, when the time came for me to try it out, I followed the directions in how to insert it--squeeze the rim to make it look like an 8 then push it in and down. Since it was the first time I tried it out, I still wore a pad, just in case of leaks. If I remember correctly, it was good to go for a few hours. I was anxious about the darn thing though so I still checked it every time I went to the bathroom. As the day progressed, I tried to go longer than 2 hours to see how it would hold up. Well, after the 2 hour mark, it felt like it was leaking...and it was. I tried inserting it several different ways but I never felt confident that it would be able to hold for more than 2 hours which didn't hold any difference for me in comparison to tampons. Not to mention, a few times, it went a lot farther in than that imagined and had a heck of a time "digging" it out. That wasn't much fun! I knew that I wanted to try out the DivaCup before giving up on the whole menstrual cup endeavor.

The next day, I woke up early to head over to a farmer's market type store. They had the DivaCup and I giddily headed home with my new menstrual cup and can of baby corn (don't ask me why they had the baby corn I was seeking and the Asian market didn't!). I boiled the cup to clean it before trying it out. I was definitely more confident that it wouldn't leak because it was more sturdy than the Instead Cup's flimsy plastic collapsible "bag". I had done my research for tips and tricks on how to insert and remove. I went with the usual C-fold, stuck it in, and rotated it to make sure it unfolded. Then felt around the entire cup to make sure all sides were expanded inside. As for removal, I would squeeze the bottom where the ridges are to break the suction and pulled it out slowly.

Just as I did with the Instead Cup, I checked the DivaCup every time I went to the bathroom for the first day of use (but second day of cycle). I will say that during my research, many women stated that the cup reduced their cramps and shortened their periods by a day or two. Well, it seemed to make my cramps a lot worse. And on my second cycle of trying out the DivaCup, my cramps were still pretty noticeable but not as bad as the first time I tried out the DivaCup. I'll have to see how they are on my 3rd cycle of trying it out. As for shortening my period, it did seem that my period ended a day earlier, both on the first and second cycle of using it.

During the first and second cycle of using the DivaCup, I still had to check the cup at least every 4 hours, especially on the 2nd and 3rd days. I did experience one major leaking on my second cycle after waking up one morning. It couldn't handle the output after 7 hours. Luckily, I had worn an overnight pad, which was completely soaked. And the cup was completely full upon removal.

In addition to the increased cramps, both on the first and second cycle, for one night on each, I woke up with a severe pain on my right side that almost immobilized me. These occurred closer to the end of the period cycle.

I will say that there are measurement lines inside the DivaCup where a woman can keep track of how much fluid is gathered. I was curious to see how much I really bled so I used those lines to help me determine how much I shed for the entire cycle. Filled to the highest line in the cup is half an ounce. Up to the brim, they state that it holds 1 ounce but I wasn't going to risk a leak from filling it to the brim. On my heaviest day, I still had to check every 3-4 hours and it was filled to the 1/2 ounce line every time. There was no way that I could leave the cup unchecked for 12 hours at a time. The total amount on my second cycle, using the DivaCup exclusively, was slightly more than 4 ounces. I am curious to see if my following periods produce less, more, or the same.

I have only experienced the DivaCup twice but so far, I like not worrying about tampons. I still use pads just as a backup, which is kind of disappointing but better to be safe and clean than sorry and messy! Mr. Sun likes not seeing any bloody mess in the trash. Cleaning it after the cycle (boiling it for 5 minutes) is still disturbing but has to be done. Oh! During the first cycle, the DivaCup didn't "ride up" as high. But during the second cycle, it went in deeper than I thought it would and there were a few times that I had to "dig" for it. I found that odd.

I haven't tried the Instead Cup since that one day and I haven't tried it during sex. Maybe one day since I have a whole box of them but so far, I'm usually not in the mood during my period because of various reasons like cramping and the typical icky feeling of just being visited by Aunt Flo.

Overall, I'm hoping the DivaCup works for me until menopause. If not, I'm not sure I'd like returning back to tampons.

Thanks for the review. Since after my first pregnancy, I have not used tampons. I can't put my finger on any particular reason, so I have just been padding it for 5 years. I'm def going to try out the diva cup after I get on my regular cycle after this pregnancy.

Ps. I might not be remembering correctly, but didn't you mention this pain in your right side during the chat with dr well-be? I have a similar pain in my right side, but the pain has only really bothered me while pregnant. During my first pregnancy, it would hurt so bad I couldn't walk or even stand up straight. It went away after giving birth and is back with this pregnancy. (Grrr) my doctor did an ultrasound and I have a rather large cyst in that ovary. They assume that is the only problem, but I'm not that confident. Anyway, I'm not sure I have any real question here lol. But if you haven't had an ultrasound, you might consider it...?

Ps. I might not be remembering correctly, but didn't you mention this pain in your right side during the chat with dr well-be? I have a similar pain in my right side, but the pain has only really bothered me while pregnant. During my first pregnancy, it would hurt so bad I couldn't walk or even stand up straight. It went away after giving birth and is back with this pregnancy. (Grrr) my doctor did an ultrasound and I have a rather large cyst in that ovary. They assume that is the only problem, but I'm not that confident. Anyway, I'm not sure I have any real question here lol. But if you haven't had an ultrasound, you might consider it...?

Yes! I mentioned it during the chat with Dr. Well-Be. It's only happened twice--during my period and while I was sleeping. Other than that, no pain during the day or such. My major pain during my waking moments is my left heel! I'm thinking I should put in an order form for a brand new body with no aches, pains, marks, or lumps! :lol: Thank you for the suggestion! I'll try to remember it next time I go to the doctor.

Also I think somewhere out there in internet land is a comparison chart for menstrual cups and their capacity. I think the reason for the shorter period is the suction action of the cup, which also could explain the increased cramping.

Also I think somewhere out there in internet land is a comparison chart for menstrual cups and their capacity. I think the reason for the shorter period is the suction action of the cup, which also could explain the increased cramping.

Yes, I've seen the chart and the reason for the shorter periods online. But if the suction action is the reason for the shorter period and increased cramping (for me), why does it seem that the majority of women find that it actually decreases their cramps? It seems more logical that it would increase them.

Yes, I've seen the chart and the reason for the shorter periods online. But if the suction action is the reason for the shorter period and increased cramping (for me), why does it seem that the majority of women find that it actually decreases their cramps? It seems more logical that it would increase them.

I'm guessing that it has something to do with increased flow and prostaglandin response. If the overall amount of flow is the same, but over a shorter period because the flow rate is higher, then there is less need for prostaglandins, which have a very useful purpose and cause cramps. That increased flow rate is probably the reason cardio during menstruation reduces cramping for many women, btw. However, for that to reduce the prostaglandin response, your cervix has to be wide enough that there isn't a backup. Otherwise, the whole sucking a grapefruit through a straw thing is going to increase the cramps even with an increased flow rate. Or, that's my guess, anyway.

I have tried Softcup (which I found on the top shelf in the tampon aisle at my local Walgreens store). I loved it! You only have to change it twice a day usually. I would change mine in the morning when I woke up and at night in the shower before bed. The problem I had was reaching it. I have a tilted cervix and I am overweight so it was difficult for me to reach. I had to stop using them :sad:. I am currently losing weight and when I get down to where it is not difficult to reach in there and get them, I'm going right back to them. They were so much more comfortable than tampons and less messy than pads.