JustAskJulie

Our America With Lisa Ling (OWN Network) Aug 21 Episode to Feature Swingers

Naked truth about swingers | New York Post

Turns out that party run by BCD (Behind Closed Doors) wasn’t even included in the episode of “Our America With Lisa Ling,” which airs Aug. 21 titled, “Swingers Next Door.”

Why? Because Ling says these paid-for parties are not typical of the vast majority of swingers in this country — emphasis on “vast.”

She is a long time journalist who never really been about self promotion. Ling will report a good story, I'm watching! Thx for heads up...

I really like Lisa Ling and her sisiter. They do real investigative reporting that allows the subjects to speak for themselves, instead of the common biased editorals from the achor desk these days. And I hope Lisa joins in on the fun!!

The report on swingers next door was interesting and, as some of you have observed, true to life. I'll have to see if she has a blog or something as I'm interested how the population as a whole might have perceived this report. I also found interesting her preceding hour's report about gay people trying to pray their way into becoming straight.

I didn't get to see it and haven't been able to find the whole episode online yet, but the few clips I have seen look very good and resonate well, by that I mean that as a swinger you can totally relate to the people she interviews.

Some deleted scenes that didn't make the final cut and some discussions are available at http://www.oprah.com/own-our-america-lisa-ling/Swingers-Next-Door-A-Lesson-in-Swinging

I thought it was a fair representation - unbiased and her interviewees true to life.

The report on swingers next door was interesting and, as some of you have observed, true to life. I'll have to see if she has a blog or something as I'm interested how the population as a whole might have perceived this report. I also found interesting her preceding hour's report about gay people trying to pray their way into becoming straight.

I saw praying the gay away also. It made me wonder how much more it screwed up the people trying to become straight by praying emotionally and mentally. I may believe in Jesus' teachings (notice I didnt say Christianity, I believe we've really gotten away from what Jesus taught) but I'll tell you that there is no way that will work. It may supress their feelings for awhile, but the guilt and shame will come back tenfold when they can't keep it hidden any longer and will set them up for a disaster. Either physically or mentally, I can just see a long time on a therapists couch trying to undo what the ministry did.

Loved the swinger piece too, I felt she really touched on all aspects of swinging.

I agree with Anglekin " I thought it was a fair representation - unbiased and her interviewees true to life."

I thought the report was done very well and that it allowed people to form their own opinions. I would love for Lisa to do a follow up on her report, covering vacations/resorts and conventions.

I just wanna say, "WOW!!"

This was the most unbiased account of swinging I've seen on primetime TV, ever! She was just getting facts and putting them out there. I thought it was very well done!

I recall little or nothing regarding the way that single people might fit in with the swing lifestyle. I do not perceive this as a fundamental deficiency in the report as it would be difficult for any television production company to tell the entire story within the span of one hour (and fit advertisements in). Just think it is interesting.

I thought it was really well done. There were 3 different couples featured, wealthy and working class, different areas of the country, married a long and short time, older and younger. One segment was a house party in AZ, one was a club (TSC in Nashville) and one was a workshop and play party in Los Angeles. There was a very brief segment at a party in NYC. They really did a good job talking about communication, being secure in your relationship and taking things slow. They talked about the fun of going out, making friends, and feeling good about yourself as benefits besides the sex.

One thing they didn't discuss at all was the role of the internet and swing dating sites. It was mostly "here are some swingers and here's what they do, how they regard life."

I really liked it!

One segment was a house party in AZ....

Okay, now I really want to see this episode! Does anyone know where I can view the whole thing?

Did anyone see the premier of the "Shades of Kink" episode from this same series last night? We aren't into BDSM really, so other than as swingers maybe having had a little more exposure to it than most since there is some overlap between the two worlds, especially at clubs, looking in from the outside I thought the show was really well done and came away with a much better understanding of it. The two are actually even more closely linked than I thought with the emphasis on communication, all parties fully consenting, no means no, etc.

I just happened to see it advertised on another channel I was watching just a couple of minutes before it started, and when I flipped over to watch it, found out that a rerun of last season's swinging episode had proceeded it. I only caught the last minute or two of that and was really disappointed since I haven't had a chance to see that one yet :( Just like the swinging episode, the BDSM one is getting some good comments on the show's website from people who finally got to see what they thought was an accurate portrayal of who they really are and what they are really about on TV. I'm going to keep my eye out for the Kink rerun since I would guess the swinging episode might run with it again.