slevin

All of those Sydney University disclaimers on swinger profiles: what the hell?

So, has anyone ever actually come across some university using sites like AFF for research? Seems like more and more people are putting that same disclaimer on the profile stating their profile and pictures can't be used etc. I am pretty sure this is just another urban legend, but I haven't been able to prove that with some quick searching. Anyone else done some digging into it?

My guess is it's related to the same students we see come through here every year wanting to ask questions in an effort to research their upcoming thesis. I would not be surprised if those same students aren't browsing the ad sites to try to glean info. I haven't seen any actual proof of it, and I can't see where specifics taken off a profile would stand up as allowable on their papers, but ya never know. I would think that interviews and surveys (such as they typically try to get access to here) would be a much better source of info.

I believe if you read the fine print on most sites, once you upload something to the site, it belongs to the site from that point on.

So, I'm thinking the only person that can say the pictures and info can't be used is the site owner.

I believe if you read the fine print on most sites, once you upload something to the site, it belongs to the site from that point on.

So, I'm thinking the only person that can say the pictures and info can't be used is the site owner.

That's the way I've been interpreting the fine print.

I heard an interview with the founder of Fetlife. He said that disclaimer was one of his pet peeves and there was no real basis for it. People just copy it because they see it on other profiles. Also, having it won't dissuade someone who wants to copy your profile info or pics and would you really want to sue someone if you could find them?

When I see it on profiles it is usually accompanied by "no drama, d&d free, not barbie and ken, not bed hoppers, blah blah blah" All the drivel people say when they can come up with anything interesting about themselves.

When I see it on profiles it is usually accompanied by "no drama, d&d free, not Barbie and Ken, not bed hoppers, blah blah blah". All the drivel people say when they can come up with anything interesting about themselves.

LMAO! Someone should start a thread listing all the useless statements people put in their profiles. As to the student disclaimer, every time I see it in a profile I imagine the writer wearing a tinfoil hat.

Ok, that tin foil comment made me immediately remove the Sidney U statement from our AFF profile...not that we use it that much, but I wouldn't want to be that creepy paranoid couple. LOL

And yes, we put it in there when we first created the profile just because everyone else did.