incommunicado

Recovery from vasectomy?

Not sure if this is the right place, but I wanted it to be visible.

I had a bladeless vasectomy nearly two weeks ago. During my consult, my doc gave me the rundown on the unlikely but possible side effects, the anticipated length of recovery etc., including that a rare number of folks have pain for up to a year.

Well, things didn't exactly go as planned. First, my scrotum decided it wasn't keen on getting cut, so it thickened up, making finding the vas harder. Second, I turned out to be very resistant to lidocaine, so it kept wearing off and I required at least six injections to keep the pain under control. Third, the vas was tough to extract and itself was thick, so it was tough to cut.

Long story short, I spend 30 minutes, where most guys spend nine, feeling like I was being eviscerated. The upside? The discomfort after was nothing compared to the procedure. The downside? I am still sore/sensitive nearly two weeks later. I have to be very careful about the boys getting squeezed or "rung like a bell" or they hurt. I have also had trouble getting and maintaining a full erection. This may be in part to fear of what might happen if I get hurt, but I'm not so sure.

So... with my personal life out on the table, can any more experienced "vas vets" give me some encouragement? Or am I doomed to an immediate future of sore balls and not so impressive erections?

Thanks!

I had mine 4 years ago now and mine went well was sore for about a week till the dog jump into my lap. I do know someone that had the same done as you and was sore for 2-3 weeks. So give it a few more days an don't forget the frozen peas they work wonders.

Edison here-- Yes on the frozen peas and secondly, take it easy. Lots of rest and move slowly. And, if you're not on pain killers, no crime in requesting some. As always, don't be afraid to call the Doctor for advice or a visit if you're not doing well.

I know how you feel I had some same happen to me except mine was little over an hour total time and they wanted to go to surgery. I t was all due to scar tissue from younger days of rodeo....go figure huh? Well then afterward I had a regular incision on one side and a 1 inch incision on the other side, and it got worse when a couple of stitches had torn open. YES to the frozen peas. without them I would have been worse off. Really, everyone is different but a year later all is good.

My hubby had no problems and he was back in the saddle in no time. Don't make it out to be worse then it is and you will be fine.

I had my vasectomy 45 years ago -- the procedure was very new at that time. The urologist had only performed two prior to myself and he needed more experience!!

The anesthetic had not taken effect yet when he clamped down on the vas deferens and I about kissed the ceiling. Post surgery wasn't a walk in the park either as my whole abdomen turned black and blue. It was several weeks before I could reconnect with my wife as I was very sore.

I had anticipated that they were doing a better job today but it doesn’t sound like it. “Bare” with it as the peace of mind does make the pain and stuff worth it. Good luck.

Recovery wasn't bad for me. Worst pain was when my 5 year old dove into my lap when he realized I was home that day after the surgery.

Still a little discomfort from time to time; totally randomly.

I loved "the talk" beforehand with the doctor about how a vasectomy will not solve marital problems. Who on earth thinks that would happen? "Hey hubby, you're kind of a ass but I hear a Vasectomy will fix that" :D

Had mine in 03. Was sore for about a week, and worrying about it seemed to make it worse. FYI, before you get " back in the saddle" , remember you still have 15-20 rounds left in the clip (according to my Dr.)

I realize I've been away from this thread for a few days since I posted. Thanks to ALL who shared their experiences and their advice. It's very helpful to get similar and different points of view.

I did go back to get checked. I was mildly concerned about the tenderness (no swelling or discoloration) nearly two weeks later. I was especially concerned about my inability to maintain a full erection. Best I could get was hard, but not as hard as usual. I admit it. I measured. And, I was noticeably smaller, even though things were mostly ready for action (and I can't afford to get smaller :). So, I was afraid I had some kind of testosterone issue. But, the feedback I got was "You had an especially difficult surgery. It's still very early. Get some tighty-whities, and expect it to be at least another 4-6 weeks before you start feeling 100%.

So, I'm easing off of it, and things seem to be correcting themselves.

Thanks again! I hope this thread helps others.

p.s. Did ANYONE feel bummed knowing you can't have children anymore?

I had mine done in '08 and yes the frozen peas were a Godsend :lol: The only discomfort I had afterward was several weeks later my scrotum was tender and after exploring I found it was the vas that had been clamped (or whatever they use) off and sort of "floating" around and bumping my testicles. But that has since gone away.

Sure I think about not being able to have kids anymore. There is always a chance something (God forbid) could happen and you might want more, but what about the risk of not having the procedure and then having kids later in life than you want...take the good with the bad

I had mine done 20+ years ago. Clipped on Friday, sat on icepack all weekend, back to work on Monday. Had to hold my nutsack during sex for next 2 months cause it hurt when they slapped her ass..............

Had mine in 03. Was sore for about a week, and worrying about it seemed to make it worse. FYI, before you get " back in the saddle" , remember you still have 15-20 rounds left in the clip (according to my Dr.)

That is so true. So if you don't want another child, you still need to take precautions.

My friend got a vasectomy. He was sore for a few days but that didn't stop him from anything. My wife picked him up from the Dr's office. He fucked her when she got him home.... gently of course.

I know how you feel I had some same happen to me except mine was little over an hour total time and they wanted to go to surgery. It was all due to scar tissue from younger days of rodeo....go figure huh? Well then afterward I had a regular incision on one side and a 1 inch incision on the other side, and it got worse when a couple of stitches had torn open. YES to the frozen peas, without them I would have been worse off. Really, everyone is different but a year later all is good.

Similar story, mine went an hour and half, the Dr. called in his partner mid way through to consult, the two together were only able to get one side and I had to schedule for a second visit where I'd be put under for the procedure. The second procedure only took about 10 minutes. Recovery on the first procedure took about three weeks and I was black and blue from my navel to my knees, the second procedure took about 4 days and I was back in tip top shape.

My difficulty was also due to scar tissue from racing mountain bikes in my youth.....

Mine was pretty straightforward. One odd note was the doctor went into personal discussion during the procedure, was talking about his viewpoints on children and that we are losing our culture because most people aren't having enough kids to keep it going.

Anyway, I had fairly good results. I had sex the night of the surgery (about 10 hours later), my wife was leery, but I wanted it bad.

My balls were a bit sore for a few days, especially down where the incision was. And the lower area (where I'm guessing the tube that was snipped is) was sore to contact for a few weeks. Good thing is that is located way on the bottom, where it doesn't get touched much unless someone is running their hands down there.

I had mine done 6 years ago, and have been very glad I did. We weren't in the lifestyle then, but now that we are, it's very nice to not have any worries of broken condom or whatever (Ive had one rip and hadn't came yet). Yeah it's not a common thing to have happen, but even so, there is next to no chance I'm fathering another child, which is fine by me. Already have 4 and we are done.

After 5 I was ready. My doc cut a small incision and then cut both. That was not bad. Then he stitched me up and caught my abdomen. I was "sucked up" into a pucker and after the meds wore off, that hurt! Few weeks later, everything back to normal.

Mine was several years ago. The procedure was uneventful aside from the "Oh, he shaved so we don't have to." comment ;)

Recovery was fairly quick and I was able to get a normal erection almost immediately. Though my balls were tender for several months and I couldn't wear a behind the balls cock ring for almost a year without discomfort (which I really missed).

Everything is back to normal now. Though the burning flesh smell from the cauterization will never leave me :(

D

Doris here.

It took Boris roughly three months to recover from his vas. We made the mistake of having sex the night afterwards and I don't think that helped him.

Make sure if you are in an industry where you do a lot of heavy lifting to take it easy. That can impede on your recovery. We had a friend who jacked himself up for about six months for not properly resting.

Big Nikki here.

Mine was several years ago. The procedure was uneventful . . . Recovery was fairly quick and I was able to get a normal erection almost immediately. Though my balls were tender for several months and I couldn't wear a behind the balls cock ring for almost a year without discomfort (which I really missed).

Husband John's brother reported pretty much the same experience, though I couldn't speak about the cock ring.

-- Big Nikki

I think it depends on the experience of the doctor doing it. Mine took 10 minutes which included prep. I needed some extra shots of numbing and the doc had an intern so he was explaining the procedure as he went. I'll never forget the smell of my burning flesh...

I was literally strapped down so I couldn't move, for my safety as much as for his. My doc provided an ice pack as part of the procedure. I'm amazed that not all do. I had no complications whatever.

That was 20 years ago. Best decision I ever made.

Mr. LFM here, had mine done twenty-one years ago. Went pretty good I guess, Doc said I had some scarring inside, I suspect it was from riding bucking horse when I was younger. He had to tug a little hard on one side, this caused some excessive swelling. He prescribed propping my feet in my Lazyboy stick an ice cold six pack of beer between my crotch, flip on my favorite movie and drink the beer, repeat as needed. Worked for me.

Just had a no needle, no scalpel open ended vasectomy Wednesday morning. The procedure took 10 minutes, the freezing spray/jet felt like a rubber band snap on the boys. Other than some minor tugging & the smell of cauterized flesh during the procedure, it was simple & uneventful. For me the hardest part has been the mental part of "sterilizing oneself". Recovery so far has been okay, some tightness, a little vague dull aches if I move too fast but that's it, no pain. I tried to look like it was horrible & painful to guilt my wife but came clean pretty fast. In all, so far smooth sailing & a restful day. Obviously erections are no problem as the procedure didn't involve the penis, just the balls (sac) so having my wife flash her tits got my (firm) attention. Still I think I'll give it a day or two before I test the plumbing that way. Let's see what tomorrow brings...

I remember my vasectomy like it was yesterday. I had it done 14 years ago. I vividly remember feeling the nurse's breath on my balls while they numbed me. When the cauterized the tubes, I could feel the electricity all the way up into my tummy just like a when you get kicked in the balls. I could smell the hot flesh. Afterwards, the pain meds they gave me didn't work. I was in severe pain and had to get a different type of painkiller. A few days later I had some internal bleeding and excessive swelling. Still in pain. A week later I got a nice infection called Epididymitis. This is an infection of the tube that carries semen, and it hurts like hell. Since the surgery I've gotten this condition about 8 times over the years. It's not all fun and games. I was one of the few with "complications".

Hi incommunicado,

I just had a no-scalpel vasectomy on 4/6/12 - about 6 days ago. I am very sorry to hear about how your procedure went because mine was 100% pain free and virtually discomfort free. Your after care experience is likely due to the difficulties during the procedure. In my experience I was super anxious going into it, and after all the good and bad I read I was very fearful but courageous. I do believe with all my heart that your erection related issues are PURELY related to pain anticipation.

At this point I still have bruising where by balls and shaft meet my pubic bone area and it's deep inside. I swear I can also feel the clips on my vas rubbing too. Just waiting for my scrotum to heal and become desensitized fully realizing this could go on for months. So it still feels off and on like one of my balls is trying to escape into my abdomen which us guys know can be horrifyingly painful. So to have that feeling through most of the day is...well...uncomfortable to say the least.

From all the pre-procedure research I did I can tell you that the odds are in your favor that the pain and discomfort will abate. Your balls will take some time to realize that they no longer need to produce sperm at the same rate and your pain from any backpressure will go away as the excess sperm are absorbed. If this continues or becomes acute you could look into converting your vasectomy to an "open vasectomy" where they remove the clip on the testicle side so the pressure is relieved - but that will lead to other possible side effects of sperm leaking into your scrotum and forming spermatocele's.

The pre-procedure research also informed me that the VAST MAJORITY IF NOT ALL erectile difficulties post-procedure are mental. They are related to either pain-anticipation or psychological based on losing ones manhood or being forced into getting the vas by a spouse. There are virtually NO physiological reasons why erections are hampered from a vasectomy unless you still have unusual swelling.

I have high hopes for your full recovery....it might just take you a little longer due to the complications during your procedure. Hang in there! Keep icing at night and if you need to keep wearing tight shorts or even a jock strap. Do what feels comfortable until shit heals!

The day after and what I experienced throughout the day was generally mild discomfort. If I move to fast I am more aware of a heaviness & dull ache, so I just took it slow, took Tylenol ES and used ice packs some more. I was expecting some bruising with the minor swelling I have at the site, but I have absolutely no bruising (yet), just minor swelling.

The day after and what I experienced throughout the day was generally mild discomfort. If I move to fast I am more aware of a heaviness & dull ache, so I just took it slow, took Tylenol ES and used ice packs some more. I was expecting some bruising with the minor swelling I have at the site, but I have absolutely no bruising (yet), just minor swelling.

I'm a week out now and feel a "heaviness" where there was definite deep bruising feelings yesterday. Every day the discomfort diminishes by 50%. At that rate I should be 100% in another week or two. My doctor was a hot shit...he also had a vasectomy too which helped my comfort level...as I was getting off the table I asked about sex. He said, "You can do it tonight if you want. Might find it a little difficult to maneuver comfortably but you sure won't break anything doing it." So my wife had sex the day after my procedure and the day after that twice. Took the week off for good measure. Hoping tonight I can really get back into it. Having sex and not being able to get in some good pounding is a little...oh hell...it's great too but love a little pounding. LOL

End of day 3, no Tylenol today, no ice but I did take it easy. When exerting/bending/moving too fast I can feel a heaviness & dull ache. Overall less & less each day. Site looks good, no bruising, the minor swelling all but gone. Now just want to defy the Doc & have sex now ...... or at the very least a nice bj.

DO KEEP IN MIND that you are not "safe" for about 2-3 weeks. My doctor told me that there is still sperm in the channels so any "right now sex" is still "iffy". I don't know if that's the current medical thinking, but it made sense to me... so condoms for two weeks, then hop to it! Enjoy your new freedom. I've never regretted the decision!

DO KEEP IN MIND that you are not "safe" for about 2-3 weeks. My doctor told me that there is still sperm in the channels so any "right now sex" is still "iffy". I don't know if that's the current medical thinking, but it made sense to me... so condoms for two weeks, then hop to it! Enjoy your new freedom. I've never regretted the decision!

Actually, you need to have your semen tested, not just wait two weeks. Follow whatever instructions your Dr gives you. It is a wonderful freedom!

Four days after, no ice Tylenol required. Walking as if I've been riding a saddle for too long is also diminishing. Still aware of things when I bend over or stretch out too fast but again not pain just a quick ache, dullness or pinch. I assume the pinch is from the suture inside.

I am very aware of the fact that I'm not clear, considering how easy it was to conceive our children I will be extremely careful until I get the all clear (semen tested). Considering we have gone 3 years past the birth of our last child, making it this far without a pregnancy I am hopeful we will still be as careful. I look forward to cleaning out the tubes, keeping myself & wife busy over the next little while.

I'm 11 days out now and I'm feeling about 98% down there. The bruising is almost gone and my balls feel absolutely NORMAL finally! If I overdo it with sudden or strenuous movements I will get a little tiny ache - kinda like the one when you get tagged in the nutsack but it fades quickly and reminds me to slow down. The most annoying part is the 1 stitch the doctor put in the openings. I wish they would just dissolve already because they are keeping the wound from healing over. The scab that forms around the stitches keeps getting moved around and it's just annoying. I see the DR next Tuesday and imagine if they are not out yet he'll take them out. I still do the ice 1x each night for good measure and it feels really good. I'll start ramping up activity / working out levels today.

Over this past weekend I had a strange phenomenon going on. I wanted to share the feeling so people that go through it won't freak out. I noticed late last week and over the weekend while driving or sitting a dull tickly sensation in my balls. Like the cut tube was gently caressing my testicle. LOL It was weird and made me want to punch something due to the annoyance level...but very laughable. It was comforting that I knew where it came from and that it was a sign things were healing. Each day it got better and 3 days to progress through that "stage" of the process. I guess things have to heal and then get desensitized in there. I thought of the "clips" they put in like a piercing. A body can take a while to get used to a subdermal or implanted foreign object. After watching my wife go through breast implants it made the vasectomy look like a bowl of ice cream on a summer night.

Good luck all!

So my vasectomy is done, a week later & life is back to normal.....but not really so. First, still some discomfort which I expected and I am sure with time that will pass. However, my first ejaculation post vas was anything but spectacular. I waited 7 nights before I attempted to ejaculate as per MD's instructions....I just didn't want to induce complications if that could be done from my impatience. I don't know about others, but my wife & I have a great sex life and despite 3 small children & full time jobs we still manage intimate moments averaging 2-3x per week. So for me waiting a week left me anticipating a huge release (in many ways). I was expecting either a painful or uncomfortable ejaculation due to the trauma/healing or as I said a huge release. What I experienced was blah, an event but non-event! Very little intensity, no buildup as in past, no knee buckling/toe curling absolute calmness with release. Instead I was aware I ejaculated and that's it, move on. In past, I'd need time to recover, but not with this. Instead I was confused & soon replaced that with concern. Anytime is past where I haven't been with my wife for 5 days or more the climaxes I would have were amazing as if I'd feel a release from my balls all the way through the end of my penis. Earth shattering. We were gentle, she was great and we induced no pain or discomfort with the blowjob I received. But yet the end result......

I have done a little internet searching on orgasms weaker post vas & found some information I just was not aware of prior. Individual testaments regarding profound differences post vas, differences that have lead to worse or poorer, less intense orgasms. While I have only tested the equipment once so far I am concerned because I have always had great orgasms, such release, feeling absolutely spent afterwards and this time.....I think I would have preferred a painful ejaculation to an orgasm of little intensity.

Curious if others here have had similar issues because I know from my research before my vas, all the literature provided by the doctor & on other web sites talks about the procedure, do's & don'ts, how the procedure doesn't affect function (but does it?) and why don't they list a potential for weaker orgasms as a complication? Is it because the physicians think it's all in the minds of those who state there is a difference? If we review the anatomy of the male genitalia, you will find that the vas is innervated by the inferior hypogastric plexus.

The ductus deferens is richly innervated by autonomic nerve fibers, thereby facilitating its rapid contraction for expulsion of sperm cells during ejaculation. Essentially our junk has a lot of nerve endings that provide the stimulus & feeling for the pleasure we derive. So if you cut through nerve fibers, will that have an effect?

Some quotes from those who posted on a web page (Orgasms After Vasectomy - Vasectomy-Information.com) regarding their post vas orgasms...

-“After the surgery, there is very little intensity. By that, I specifically mean there is no buildup, I just seem to have an orgasm and the feeling I had from my testicles is no longer present.”

-"the knee buckling sensation has now gone...My ejaculation is the same and the length I last is the same, but the end result is just a complete wash out. I do not feel my balls tighten, I do not feel the ejaculation go through my shaft, I do not feel the ejaculation erupt from my penis, I do not feel my penis pulse until the orgasm has finished…... I DO NOT FEEL !!!"

-"My husband had a vasectomy 6 weeks ago and he describes the same thing–he ejaculates but no orgasmic feeling"

-"I anticipate and expect the “old orgasm” of the day prior to my procedure...but am always somewhat disappointed. No exhausted feeling, no rush, less enjoyable."

-"My husband has experienced many of these same symptoms: not feeling the “rush” from his testicles, a “weird” or less intense orgasm"

-"I am a medical professional and I attribute these poor orgasms to the surgeon damaging the sympathetic nerves along the vas. Yes you can orgasm but the whole experience has changed for the worse. Ejaculation is a sympathetic response, the sympathetic nerves that innervate the vas are no longer connected. The vas doesn’t contract. It is terrible."

Anyone else experienced this? I know it was one orgasm but never in my life have I not experienced certain intensity of my orgasm.

Hi slowride,

You WILL be fine. It's in your head. I know how that sounds, like a trivializing slap in the face of your experience...but think about it. You just went through a very sensitive surgery and clearly through your desire to follow doctors orders to avoid any complications you have some anxiety about it. Whenever anxiety is present it is a total orgasm killer. You clearly have AWESOME orgasms with your wife because as you said you are able to relax and then come. Your sex post-vasectomy was "gentle" and I venture to say that you guys were treating it with kid gloves. Why? Because you had anxiety on SOME level that you didn't want to hurt anything and perhaps did not know what to expect.

Here's more why I KNOW it's just anxiety. A few weeks prior to my vasectomy I had several swinging experiences. There were a couple times when I had same room sex with my wife that I was operating with a palpable level of anxiety. My orgasms were EXACTLY AS YOU DESCRIBED...to a friggin T. The only sensation I had was that semen left my body and a slight penile contraction...the build up / heat / intensity just fizzled moments before ejaculation. This happened to me twice...and ALWAYS while performing in front of the same couple. I KNEW I had anxiety about them but I was confused as to how it could affect me during sex with my wife in front of them because I was fucking my WIFE! Anyway, I freaked out thinking my body was changing some how. Fortunately I have experience with performance anxiety enough to know that my orgasm fizzle HAS TO BE related to something in my HEAD...namely anxiety.

I read the same stuff you did about vasectomies and "orgasm fizzle". Orgasm fizzle is all in our heads, literally. The physiological portion of the orgasm occurs in the penis through ejaculation and in the brain through neurological stimulation (orgasm). The missing link to the fizzled orgasm WE BOTH HAD was the brain portion, as clearly the ejaculatory function was working perfectly.

So my advise to you is first RELAX! Admit to yourself that you were scared of what sensations you might have and that fear paralyzed you during your moment of orgasm. You didn't see it coming (no pun intended) but now that you know it is possible you can accept it as a pure physiological response to those emotions. YOU ARE NOT BROKEN! Once you accept that, it will make relaxing that much more easier. My advise to you is go into your next sexploit as balls to the wall...tell yourself you are prepared to feel anything and everything...even if there is pain you don't care you are relaxed and willing and ready to experience it. Kind of like the moments leading up to your ACTUAL vasectomy...I bet you had a lot of anxiety and just wanted to get whatever it was going to be like over with! Once you were into the actual procedure, if you are like me you actually relaxed more the moment it started compared to the moments leading up to it. You likely had 7 days of built up anxiety over this one little moment. Now it's gone, and you can have your sex life back! Whohoo!

I too was freaked out after it happened the first time and could not wait to have sex again to check myself out. LOL Between my fizzled orgasms my wife and I had sex again and my orgasms were simply awesome. They were simply my body's way of saying, "dude you are not comfortable with this!" My orgasms post vasectomy have been just as amazing as they were before.

I have faith you will be just fine. Let go of that anxiety. Accept whatever there will be. It should be easier next time because you also know there will be no pain since you didn't have any with your "fizzle".

LET ME KNOW!

Anxiety? No I was damn mad! I'm not an anxious person at all (present situation excepted). I have no performance related issues with my wife, never had, not in the lifestyle with others or otherwise. I was ready to go, enjoyed the experience however the ending....wtf! Pain doesn't concern me, I've lived with it on & off over 10 years as post surgical complications of a hernia repair. Actually pain might of been better, at least I would have felt something more intense. Sure time will tell....just don't like the "new me" so far.

I'm almost 60 days out now. Just to add some flavor and perspective to all our varying experiences. It is a highly individualized surgery both physically and mentally. For me, I'm horny as a school boy after the surgery. I started having sex the day after the surgery and I'm unloading about 5-7 times a week on my own or with the Mrs. Often two or three times within 24 hours. It took about 5 weeks for any tenderness during rougher sex to go away in my testicles. I still get the occasional "achy pulling" sensation from one side or the other, or burning itchiness for a few minutes near the clamps. That is from the body getting used to the clamps. I can feel my clamped vas on either side of the base of my shaft. Sometimes when it pokes my ball when I'm sleeping or driving I will get a lingering ache. At first it was disconcerting, I couldn't even walk a mile without being irritated. Now it's only occasional discomfort.

I notice that before my vasectomy my balls and scrotum would sometimes ache after sex, like my testicles were struggling to replenish sperm or something. Either way I needed like an hour or ideally 3-4 hours between having sex. That's the only way I can describe it. I felt depleted. After the vasectomy, because there is a stable level of sperm constantly available in the testicle and never released...I feel a VERY NOTICEABLE boost in my sex drive. It's like I constantly need to bust a nut, and even after sex I still have the feeling. IT'S AWESOME!!! I am actively telling my body to KEEP PRODUCING SPERM hoping it picks up and makes a difference some how. Your body will level off production as it senses the sperm are not needed any more. I want mine to keep producing just as many as I can handle re-absorbing!!! I know this sounds strange, but I have no other way to explain it. I think my body is getting a boost from whatever chemicals are being reabsorbed from the unused sperm cells. Maybe testosterone? All I know is who cares what mild pain or discomfort I have, I would take twice the pain I have for life to have this sex drive for the next 25 years!

To answer your question about kids. We tried to have kids and after several failed attempts, a whole lot of tests and some serious soul searching we actively chose to be CHILD FREE. So I have no kids and now at 39 after the vasectomy I can't have any kids. Even if I were to remarry tomorrow, this is MY choice now. I feel so free, it's like I'm in college for the rest of my life. Every day is mine until the day I die. So nope, not ONE iota of feelings of loss there. I get a ton of quality time with my folks to enjoy fishing, talking, hanging out and experiencing them in a way I never would be able to if I was busy off being a parent.

Best choice of my life. Came with a lot of anxiety about the unknowns, but in the end I am psyched with the outcome.

Wow, drinnt! I should share your latest post with Mr. Sunbuckus. We have been thinking about both of us getting fixed but I think he does have some reservations on his side for him. If he has a higher sex drive out of it I'm sure he'd be on the phone asap!

45 days + post vasectomy.

I, like drinnt was once as horny as a schoolboy, everyday in life up to my vasectomy & certainly wanted to bust a nut after. But since the first post vas orgasm it's all been the same for me...Nothing! I told my wife recently that my ejaculations feel more like a urination feeling now. No change yet, no recovery of what I had, no earth shattering weak in the knees post orgasm feeling since. Just an "oh, that must be it" feeling. Before when I had an orgasm I was incredibly sensitive afterwards and needed recovery time. Now you could slap me around after and I can go about my day or night and do whatever needs to be done, the absolute exhaustion/satisfied feeling I had is gone. I was the one in my relationship with my wife that wanted sex all the time, right up until the first orgasm after the vas. I used to get a full feeling, a feeling that I needed to "release" and if I didn't do that at a maximum of every 3 days, I become quite irritable & not easy to live with, release (ejaculation/orgasm) would calm me down & relax me. Felt good. Now I have little desire to initiate anything sexual.

Went & saw the physician who did the procedure and he couldn't get me out of his office fast enough. I was in for maybe five minutes. A quick physical exam as I told him I had little swelling and nil pain but now I have a completely different (or absent) orgasm compared to before. He was quick to send me on my way. Wow, am I angry! I don't care to be handled that way.

As I see it now, even a vas reversal probably wouldn't change things. Sure I'd ejaculate sperm again because of the vas reconnection. But the reconnection is just the vas (tube) itself, there is no surgical reconnection of any nerve pathways that innervate along the vas. That kind of surgery is not possible. So in the end I suspect what I have now is what I have to live with for the rest of my life. There is no fix and I certainly was not expecting one. But I'd wish to hell that they would report ALL COMPLICATIONS upfront so one can make an informed decision! I feel that information was not disclosed.

Wow, drinnt! I should share your latest post with Mr. Sunbuckus. We have been thinking about both of us getting fixed but I think he does have some reservations on his side for him. If he has a higher sex drive out of it I'm sure he'd be on the phone asap!

Hi Sunbucks,

I'm not alone. In my days prior to surgery researching all the "crap" on the internet and scaring myself senseless I came across two things that set me straight. First of all, most of the posts on the web are about VASECTOMIES GONE WILD. Bad experiences. Someone raised a point and said "if everything went as planned then there really is nothing to share, therefore it makes sense that all the stories are ones of people looking for help because it went south." That made sense.

The other thing I ran across was that post-vasectomy increase in sex drive / testosterone was a distinct possibility. I have been LUCKY and BLESSED enough to have received that side effect. Talking to a guy at work too, he also felt like 18 again. No joke! I'm actually hornier because now I know what to do with it! It's like you say, man if I was 18 again...well, here you go!

Unless there is something with Mr. Sunbucks physiology that makes the procedure difficult - like if he raced mountain bikes or ran the rodeo and has massive scarring in his scrotum, or unless you get a crappy doctor who botches or semi-botches the procedure then Mr. Sunbucks will have a normal experience with very low risk of long term problems. The major physical problems seem to be related to procedures that were botched or where the guy had some major obstacle the doctor had to negotiate.

ED problems almost always come from the HEAD! Usually it's because the guy really doesn't WANT to sterilize himself, he's doing it from social pressure. It was MY IDEA so I fully accepted all the pain and consequences. That removed the mental ED factor from the equation - which is great because if you read my other posts you know I have had ED issues when swapping. Another ED factor is FEAR of pain and how it might feel after the surgery to have sex. Again if it is 100% his idea then he will accept whatever the outcome and it helps clear that mental obstacle. Personally, I don't mind a little discomfort during sex, did have some as noted in all my posts above...but the pleasure in all cases outweighed the pain. Now with the pain gone it's ALL GAIN BABY!

That isn't to say something might not creep up on me in 2, 5, 10 years...I read that can happen...but likelihood is minimal at this point.

Advice? USE AN EXPERIENCED UROLOGIST!!! Someone who does the procedures WEEKLY and ROUTINELY at the least. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE - Let it be 100% HIS CHOICE! That will allow him (again) to accept any consequences of his decision with little to no mental blockages.

Best of luck!

I had my vas 35 years ago and had/have no issues, just a secure feeling that there's not gonna be any new pitter-patter of little feet. For a week or two after the surgery, I had a "tight string" feeling in my groin, nothing really painful, it just felt like there was a fiber or string being pulled tight when I stretched my body.

Then, about a month or so after my surgery, I was playing tennis and went for a "high slam" return and felt that "stretch" feeling and suddenly, immediately, it popped (not something you could hear, but I could feel it), and from that moment on, I never felt another twinge or tightness.

However, I was in the hospital getting an intestinal resection, and I said, "Hey Doc, as long as you're down there, how's about we do a vasectomy?". He said, "Sure, we can do that" and since it was such a minor procedure compared to what they were going in for, he didn't even charge me for it.

I know there must be some horror stories, or unhappy campers, but I've never met one, and I'm certainly happy.

I am holding out hope for ya.

Maybe when it quits being on your mind, and you forget about it, your normal physiology will return. I have met folks that "thought" something was wrong, but after a while, they quit thinking about it and things returned to normal. Hopefully it'll be this way for you.

Red flags fly when I have a Doctor rush me, or avoid my questions. In fact, I've sued two in my life and won both cases. Not knocking doctors but they are not much more than high paid plumbers... and remember what they call the guy (or lady) that graduates at the bottom of the class... "Doctor".

Don't let your Dr run the office visit... you paid for his time, use it and don't let him avoid questions.

Hope things get "normal" for you soon.

slowride said:
45 days + post vasectomy.

I, like drinnt was once as horny as a schoolboy, everyday in life up to my vasectomy & certainly wanted to bust a nut after. But since the first post vas orgasm it's all been the same for me...Nothing! I told my wife recently that my ejaculations feel more like a urination feeling now. No change yet, no recovery of what I had, no earth shattering weak in the knees post orgasm feeling since. Just an "oh, that must be it" feeling. Before when I had an orgasm I was incredibly sensitive afterwards and needed recovery time. Now you could slap me around after and I can go about my day or night and do whatever needs to be done, the absolute exhaustion/satisfied feeling I had is gone. I was the one in my relationship with my wife that wanted sex all the time, right up until the first orgasm after the vas. I used to get a full feeling, a feeling that I needed to "release" and if I didn't do that at a maximum of every 3 days, I become quite irritable & not easy to live with, release (ejaculation/orgasm) would calm me down & relax me. Felt good. Now I have little desire to initiate anything sexual

Slowride I hold out hope for you buddy. I really do. This feeling of ejaculation being like urination that you are explaining I have felt to the EXACT description. The thing is, as I posted earlier, I felt it right BEFORE my vasectomy and once after. The only things in common those sexual encounters had was that during the moment of climax my mind was wandering, engaged in mundane and anxious thoughts...I was fucking and thinking, NOT losing myself off in the throes of "I'm about to come my brains out" like normal.

I know there are a lot of guys out there in the same boat as you and truly I am very sorry for your experience. If there is NO WAY you can see where you might have hidden anxiety masking your orgasm and you TRULY feel that this is a PHYSICAL problem then you should probably keep seeing specialists - possibly even a neurologist - to figure this shit out.

Maybe there is something we have not learned yet about the male orgasm. Maybe some guys actually have learned to associate the sensation of orgasm with the testicles engaging in ejaculation and now that you cannot physically have that sensation the orgasm part isn't being triggered in your brain?

Maybe orgasms are self-learned when we are young and there is something about how your brain learned to "KICK OFF" the orgasm sensation by taking cues from your testicles that are now absent.

This is all shit doctors DON'T KNOW but is possible.

Here's the good news. Your body is working normally. Perhaps if anything I theorized above makes sense, then perhaps it's possible to RELEARN how to orgasm??? Retrain your brain to take the orgasm cue from somewhere else / something else? Worth a shot!

Food for thought! Who knows, if you can figure this shit out you could be a hero among a growing community of frustrated men!

I had a vasectomy 10 years ago. The recovery for the first four days was terrible. For four days I felt like I was just kicked in crotch. I basically laud on the couch in a fetal position and moaned. I couldn't take pain medication besides ibuprofen due to pretty severe nausea reaction to any opiate based pain pill. My balls and penis also looked like the had just been kicked, completely black, purple, blue, and swollen. I Followed the doctors orders and didn't have sex or masturbate for 14 days. There was no change in my orgasms except we had sex more often. (My honey was no longer on birth control pills that reduced her sex drive or otherwise make her crazy). Psychologically the vasectomy lifted a huge burden and it really freed us up.

Forward to 2007 and we decided we wanted to have another kid. So I had a vasectomy reversal. Basically the same four day recovery and fetal position moaning. Only to find out that at this point my body was producing antibodies for the sperm so even though the reversal worked "the little swimmers" aren't so good at swimming anymore. So still no worries about having more kids.

So... My take on the whole 10 year episode is that the surgery was way more painful and took way longer to recover from than I was led to believe. The sex after was incredible! We just never had to worry about babies anymore. No more wrap and no more birth control hormonal issues.

Apparently reversals are pretty successful if you only count reconnection of the plumbing as a success. The fertility doctor we went to after the reversal said the vast majority of reversals end up with what they refer to as a very low viable sperm count. (only saying what I was told I didn't do much research) My orgasms are still just as strong as ever and many if those are "knee buckling". In fact yesterday morning I had what I consider to be a double orgasm. I didn't lose my erection after I came and while the Mrs D&D used me on her g-spot I came again about 5 minutes later. Usually it can take me 30 minutes to a couple of hours to recover enough to orgasm again. That was intense, never had that happen before. I guess I can now say I am multi-orgasmic...like that is ever gonna happen again.

I hope you guys with the issues find ways to resolve them. I don't know how I would respond if in your situation but I would be very unhappy (of course I have my own set of issues/obstacles to deal with).