JMR

Pineapple flag as an indicator of swinging?

I just recently heard that putting a pineapple flag in your yard is a way of letting other swingers know that you are also a swinger. Just wondering if this is true?

We just recently went to meet a couple in our area and they put two real pineapples outside on the entrance walk,,it was explained to us that it's a southern way of welcoming a new comer,very sweet and a detailed thought.They were also swingers so it puts us back at square one on the question now doesn't it....lol

I don't know maybe its a new secret code or something :rolleyes:

I can't imagine what the hell a pineapple has to do with anything :confused:

We don't see allot of pineapple flags a flying up here in Indiana, but if I do, I'm gonna take a good second look now.

...it was explained to us that it's a southern way of welcoming a new comer,very sweet and a detailed thought.

A lot of colonial type of decorating items feature pineapples just for that purpose.

What an interesting thought, though. I've not seen pineapples anywhere around here, but I'll be looking more closely when I drive anywhere! :)

Agree with those who noted that Pineapples are common in the south as a decoration and "welcome" sign.

According to the all knowing wikipedia: In some cultures, the pineapple has become associated with the notion of welcome,[14] an association bespoken by the use of pineapple motifs as carved decorations in woodworking.

A much more interesting detail is that many swear that having men eat pineapple makes oral sex that much sweeter for the ladies!!

Whatever, pineapples are our favorite fruit...lol:facelick:

ok, I'm adding a pineapple flag to our front yard, right on top of the white rocks. :)

This is the first I've heard of it, but I figure if we put out every sign that someone else says is a sign we are swingers, eventually someone will notice.

I also wear an anklet on my left ankle and a toe ring on my right pinkie toe (I think that's the correct toe... oh I hope so... I'd hate to think I was displaying the wrong thing). LOL

OK, just one of those things could be a wrong conclusion but, like Julie exhibits, you'd have to know! :)

I wish there was a universal sign.

Letters on a background with the words "We are swingers. Welcome!" It's amazing how language works :)

Secret signs rarely work well because it's never secret for long.

Though, people are still putting those god-awful shiny metallic balls on pedestals in their yards. They're SOOO ugly, it must be a secret sign. I just haven't figured it out yet. Maybe I don't want to :) (Apologies to those that have them; not being harshly critical here, just personally could never have one in my yard)

Ok, here's a quick and dirty MS Paint Seasonal Flag you can put up.

I've collected a bunch of symbols that have been mentioned on here recently and in the past.

I'm not much of a graphic artist, so you'll have to work with it.

It should remove all doubt, but it may not be too subtle either. :)

seasonalflag.gif

Nice flag.

If I could +rep you I would.

images_3ce38477899e5a26bcd5f54eb5236128.jpg

/hot

I like that symbol because of the obvious double standard as well :lol:

Ok. According to the old historical ref:

The pineapple was a sign that the lady of the house was entertaining. by entertaining, we mean accepting guest for the day or however long the pineapple was set out in public view.

It had no sexual connotations. It was a simple social sign.

We have placed them on our stoop when we have a party or social gathering for both Vanilla and LS gatherings.

a pineapple flag is a variant of this notion. In colonial days, the apple and pineapple were used as decoration above the door as a sign of both welcome and hospitality. This too was used as a social signal that the lady of the home was entertaining. (non-sexually)

using this as a signal as a swinger will cause great confusion as this is a very common practice in the mid atlantic and south east. I can just see my Ex Wife's mother fending off the advances of potential lovers now! HA HA HA. They live in VA.

I still like the thumb ring idea!

Just a thought: Hypothetically, if the pineapple (or whatever) was an international symbol of swingers and you passed by someone house that was displaying such a symbol, would you stop and say you're a swinger too and hope for a little action? What would be the purpose of displaying it if you didn't want people to stop? I'm just curious. :)

• Like 1

Just a thought: Hypothetically, if the pineapple (or whatever) was an international symbol of swingers and you passed by someone house that was displaying such a symbol, would you stop and say you're a swinger too and hope for a little action? What would be the purpose of displaying it if you didn't want people to stop? I'm just curious. :)

I would think that anyone just dropping by with the thought of getting "a little action" would be considered rude. Walking up to ones home and proposing such would probably not be looked at fondly.

Seems logical to me.. I would think if there was some type of symbol there would also be rules or etiqutte for that. But yeah, why would you display the symbol if you didnt want other swingers to stop in and say hi. ;)

I have never noticed these certian symbols before...I guess I need to pay more attention especially living in VA and the commonly used pineaple flags..

Don't forget the thumb ring.
Wait, wait. That one went right over my head. What is a thumb ring supposed to mean? There are several women of my acquaintance who wear one or more of these. Michael must know.

SW_PA_Couple said:
Wait, wait. That one went right over my head. What is a thumb ring supposed to mean? There are several women of my acquaintance who wear one or more of these. Michael must know.

I had to go searching for it, but there was a thread regarding thumb rings meaning when you wear one, you're bisexual. For some stupid reason, my memory was telling me that if you wore a thumb ring, it was another symbol you were a swinger.

I still think this is a fantastic idea. A thumb ring can still be used as a symbol but the ring itself must be unique or slightly different than the vanilla world could get their hands on normally. Like my suggestion of the three band puzzel ring in silver or white gold.

Okay, what is a pineapple flag? I've never heard of this before, and haven't seen one.

Around here people have grottos, gnomes, frogs, turtles, white landscape rock, and wind chimes in their yards.

I guess Mrs. CXXC and I will be stocking up on pineapples! OH THE FRUIT FLIES! ACK!

Jeez. What if a person who is wearing a thumb ring is hanging a pineapple flag?

Anyway, seeing Spoomonkey's response in that non-verbal-signals thread clinched it for me. Pineapples and thumb rings don't mean she-it 'bout swinging.

and I thought the pineapple was to make your cum taste better, who would have thought it was a sign of welcome, hmmm maybe I should have pineapple tattoo's

I can honestly say, after knowing quite a few tattoo artists and individual with tattoos, I have NEVER seen or even heard of a pineapple tattoo. Now that would be someting different.

If I saw a woman with a pineapple tattoo, that would be a DEAD giveaway in my book! She is ALWAYS entertaining guests!!!

Exactly what I was thinking.....

Could you imagine every gay or bi-sexual in America flying a "Rainbow Flag" on their front porch?

It serves no purpose.

the rainbow or pink triangles are banners which are used as declarations of their sexual orientation. These are not used as invitations.

Perhaps, if the Pineapple were to become the international symbol for swingers, it may, in time, become as tired as the Rainbow or pink triangle. However, until society were accepting of the lifestyle as they are (More tolerant than accepting) if swingers were to fly the banner (pineapple) they would soon become ostrasized by the community as perverts or sexual deviants. (Well, I guess we are, kinda!)

However, if the pineapple were to be a unifying banner for the lifestyle, it too would lose its invitational purpose. It would simply be reduced to another statement of fact and orientation.

I still like the thumb ring idea better!

How about a ring, lapel pin, or necklace of a golden apple with a bite taken out of it. Obscure, kind of cool, and still conveys the message.

You mean, like the necklace Teresa has from NASCA ?

FWIW. We still had to ask, what is that :hahaha:

FWIW. We still had to ask, what is that :hahaha:

:lol: It is cool though...and I did tell you. That's the beauty of it, if I want you to know I tell, if I don't want you to know I don't tell.

One day, I'll actually run into someone who knows what it stands for. I do get quite a few people asking what it is.

Teresa

I think this debate will go on and on and on for eternity. It will take a formal congress of lifestyle members to create/decide on a symbol that will best represent the lifestyle. I doubt we will be able to hold a vote on one person much less a symbol.

Pineapple flags and pineapples are very common in VA and I know there are not that many swingers here. And the ones we have met have not had the flags. fwiw, I agree with Julie. When the "signs" start to add up... but if you have 37 pieces of flair then people will notice. Did anyone notice there is a sls flair on facebook? I would not go by the pineapple flag here in VA. My parents have always had them... they they have none of the other signs.

The pineapple was a sign that the lady of the house was entertaining. by entertaining, we mean accepting guest for the day or however long the pineapple was set out in public view.

It had no sexual connotations. It was a simple social sign although i have been to entertaining parties that have had the flag up.

We have placed them on our stoop when we have a party or social gathering for both Vanilla and LS gatherings.

a pineapple flag is a variant of this notion. In colonial days, the apple and pineapple were used as decoration above the door as a sign of both welcome and hospitality. This too was used as a social signal that the lady of the home was entertaining. (non-sexually)

using this as a signal as a swinger will cause great confusion as this is a very common practice in the mid atlantic and south east.

What about something we do with our clothes, instead of a specific object we wear? Like, a turned out pocket...left for straight, right for bi? :)

I like the necklace or pin idea. A swinger will know what it is. If a vanilla person asks what it means you can tell them you ordered a NASCAR pin and it came this way. Since it was a misprint it is now a collectors item so you kept it.

steversk said:
If a vanilla person asks what it means you can tell them you ordered a NASCAR pin and it came this way. Since it was a misprint it is now a collectors item so you kept it.

Did you, friend steversk, mean to type NASCAR or NASCA?

SW_PA_Couple said:
Did you, friend steversk, mean to type NASCAR or NASCA?

That's the whole beauty of it. Only the swingers will know what NASCA is, and you can tell your vanilla friends it was supposed to read NASCAR, but the manufacturer made is wrong, but you kept it anyway figuring it would be a collectors item.

Cool, Camp, Funny.

I can see this brown, green and dark brown pineapple with a green crown on a yellow background.

But not into tattoos.

But maybe a charm?

Otto and Eileen

That's the whole beauty of it. Only the swingers will know what NASCA is, and you can tell your vanilla friends it was supposed to read NASCAR, but the manufacturer made is wrong, but you kept it anyway figuring it would be a collectors item.

Here in Boston people think that's how "NASCAR" is spelled anyway :lol:

Don't you think it would be hard to have one symbol or flag.... just due to the fact that there are so many combinations of people and lifestyles that make up "The Lifestyle"... that someone would perhaps be left out??? It would need to be something that a M or F would be comfortable with displaying too, don't you think? :) I am not sure it is possible! I would sure like to have one to display though if it is ever decided on!! :cool: