PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosis Swingtown

JustAskJulie
07-18-2008, 10:01 AM
I was just posting regarding last night's episode and I had the thought that the way some of us (myself included) analyze each episode and diagnose what is going on with each couple is much akin to the way we deal with various situations that are brought to us here on the board. The big difference is that we are watching them unfold in the third person and while we don't see EVERYTHING we do typically see both sides of the reaction (which is more than we see when an issue is brought up here). It is still very interesting to see things pop up on the show that we encounter here so often.

It's not perfect, and it doesn't always go the way we like it to. But much like real life, we only see the parts we see, and we have no idea where the journey is going to take us in the end. Although unlike real life there are some writers somewhere who do know where it's going and have already written it out.

2inSanDiego4u
07-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Well, presumably they are using a least a few "expert" consultants, probably swingers who were pretty active in the 70's. It would be interesting to know if these experts are still active now. We just hope they don't take the swinging vs. cheating thing too far and ruin the show. :(

Malachista
07-19-2008, 10:44 AM
I guess fans of a show are always over-analyzing everything.
We just happen to have a bit more knowledge about the subject, then we have when anazyzing about Buffy staking a vampire

redgirlwithfrec
07-20-2008, 10:03 PM
We just happen to have a bit more knowledge about the subject, then we have when anazyzing about Buffy staking a vampire

Speak for yourself. We both loved that show and analyzed it to death

But seriously although we may not have as much experience as others on this forum we definately have discussion following every episode and have an open dialouge about how we would have handeled these situations.

Malachista
07-21-2008, 04:53 AM
Speak for yourself. We both loved that show and analyzed it to death

So have I, but what I meant was that I never killed a vampire myself, so I was missing expiriance when annalying stakings.

sweet_tna
07-21-2008, 10:20 AM
A lot of shows generate discussion among it's fans, but this one is a bit more fun in that we do (most of us on here, anyway) have some actual experience with the subject matter. It's interesting for us to get a glimpse into what the lifestyle was like in he 70's and to see that some of the same issues/situations we have encountered still happen today. The post-show analysis has the added benefit of allowing us to apply some of the recommendations we'd make to the characters to ourselves, as well.

Seeing both sides of that issue does make that analysis easier, too.

=)

redgirlwithfrec
07-21-2008, 04:29 PM
So have I, but what I meant was that I never killed a vampire myself, so I was missing expiriance when annalying stakings.

How do you know we havn't killed a vampire. Alright we didnt but you never know lol.