PDA

View Full Version : Why is so much Pay Only ! !

kontroll4
03-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Why can't people meet for free?
I mean all the sites that say meet a date, get together, etc. are all fine until you click on a link to actually contact someone and then Wham!!!! Credit Card Please....

Is there any non scham areas to meet people!

Chicup
03-16-2007, 03:54 PM
I mean all the sites that say meet a date, get together, etc. are all fine until you click on a link to actually contact someone and then Wham!!!! Credit Card Please....

Is there any non scham areas to meet people!

Capitalism generally refers to an economic system in which the means of production are mostly privately[1] owned and operated for profit, and in which distribution, production and pricing of goods and services are determined in a largely free market. It is usually considered to involve the right of individuals and groups of individuals acting as "legal persons" or corporations to trade capital goods, labor and money (see finance and credit).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism

LikeMinds321
03-16-2007, 04:20 PM

Is there any non scham areas to meet people!You can meet for FREE!

Just do what people did before the internet - and still do - to meet people; go to clubs, bars, restaurants, social events, concerts, parties, ride your bike in the park, go for a run around the neighborhood, walk your dog, work out at the gym, etc. and you can always find people to meet.

Why should people, who put their time and effort into creating and managing a site that helps people meet, not charge for such an endeavor?

It is up to you to search the web for these "meet people" sites to determine which ones offer the most for your money. The cost for good sites are very reasonable considering the cost for going out on the town each month to meet people - by chance - on your own.

LM

good times
03-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Personally, I wouldn't belong to a site that was totally free. Making the participants pay is the best way I know of to weed out the majority of the flakes, picture collectors, and posers. I can't even imagine the quantity of idiots we would have to deal with if anyone with access to a computer could respond to our profile without having to pay to do so.

VegasLee
03-16-2007, 05:43 PM
ok, I have a silly question.

Why should someone go through all the trouble to program a web site, pay for the hosting and all the expense of keeping it up and running and not get anything for it?

Look at the free services like Yahoo. People abuse the hell out of them and there is more scams running on those FREE sites then anywhere else on the Internet.

Remember, you get what you pay for. I am betting you don't do what you do for a living for free.

I would like free gas for my truck but I am betting the guy that owns the gas station feels he deserves to be paid also.

JustAskJulie
03-18-2007, 09:28 PM
And that's why I don't offer personal ads HERE! Because if I did I too would have to charge for them. As it is promoting quality swinger personals sites (that do charge) is what provides the income to keep this FREE!

These sites are not cheap to run. This site is not cheap to run. When you put one together yourself and pay for it out of your pocket and run it as a pure chairty with no income for a while.... let us know if you still feel they should be free.

LOL_OMG
03-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Simple. You get what you pay for :)

Mrs

JustAskJulie
03-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Simple. You get what you pay for :)

Mrs

I have a hard time with that statement... I feel like people get a LOT here for free. Hell for that matter you get a LOT for free on Swing Lifestyle too... so sometimes you do get something for nothing... or more than you pay for.

WesternSwing
03-19-2007, 03:11 AM
I agree with everyone above. First, it costs money to run such sites. The more bells and whistles the site has the more it costs to host and maintain. Nobody is going to put that kind of time and money into something for free for very long.

Second, as mentioned by good times and VegasLee, paying weeds-out the posers and pic collectors, especially in this arena. Those that are serious about meeting others have no problem paying $9.95 to $19.95 a month to do so. Those that are not serious about it, or are pic collectors, probably won't pay for their profile - just like on the Yahoo! sites, which by the way Yahoo! has eliminated because of the scams and fakes.

Mr. WS

28volts
03-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Try myspace if you want to meet people.... :) but like everyone says paying does stop the perverts and fakes. :nono:

Mr S

spectraschain
03-19-2007, 12:13 PM
I feel like people get a LOT here for free.
Yes ma'am, this is a great board. You run a tight ship, I know first hand the effort involved, greatly appreciated.

havefuninsun
03-19-2007, 12:48 PM
What I like about SLS is that there is a free component; we've let our membership lapse a time or two, and we don't get kicked off, we don't have email disappear; you get more features paid than not. And I think that's totally fair. And what I like BEST is that you don't get a ton of ads popping up at you, or posted as links. Some other sites will drive you up a wall with that kind of thing.

I've always found that all "personal" sites are much better for paid members than not.

I agree with LikeMinds -- there's ways to meet folks. The "lifestyle" clubs around here, though, have a fee associated with them I think. So, EXCEPT for this board, most good things in life may not be free.

:)

spectraschain
03-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Site administrators are quick to point out that free accounts lead to paid accounts...

Oh really. Case in point; Swappernet. I've kept a running tally on free vs. paid accounts via the "who's new" page. It just doesn't happen. Two free accounts have upgraded in the past 57 days...out of hundreds of trial accounts, many of them multiple free accounts by the same persons. (multiple trial accounts are strictly prohibited...yeah...right)

I'm all for having your account remain active during a laspe in membership once you have paid. Only fair, I've paid you some hard-earned cash...

However, weeding through this complete waste of band-width as are "free trial accounts", by my research, is useless...

Granted SN is probably the worst case senerio in this regard, there are many things they are no longer doing right in my opinion. Yet, I continue to give them my money, so I guess I have to ask, who's the fool?

Would it be too much to ask for all sites to place a time limit on these accounts? Seems their bottom lines would benefit, as would my valuable time...of course, their claims of 100 quad-zillion members would suffer.

good times
03-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Granted SN is probably the worst case senerio in this regard, there are many things they are no longer doing right in my opinion.
Probably the main reason you are seeing the low conversion rate right there. On SLS they actually have a pretty high conversion rate from free to paid accounts.

Would it be too much to ask for all sites to place a time limit on these accounts? Seems their bottom lines would benefit, as would my valuable time...of course, their claims of 100 quad-zillion members would suffer.
I think you answered your own question here, if all the free accounts were thrown out their numbers of total members would drop drastically.

spectraschain
03-19-2007, 08:39 PM
if all the free accounts were thrown out their numbers of total members would drop drastically
I concur. No different than listings that haven't visited the site in years. We the people are evidently too dim to realize this ploy.

On any site with a forum, this topic has been:beatdeadh, I'm merely venting...

cutecouple39
03-19-2007, 09:02 PM
I concur. No different than listings that haven't visited the site in years. We the people are evidently too dim to realize this ploy.

On any site with a forum, this topic has been:beatdeadh, I'm merely venting...

Hey there buddy does that horse got a good set of shoes on it.. :lol:

spectraschain
03-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Hey there buddy does that horse got a good set of shoes on it..
Is that any way to talk about Spectra?

cutecouple39
03-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Is that any way to talk about Spectra?

Well now ya know I wouldn't talk about her that way...you on the other hand ole buddy...I believe is free game.... :poke:

havefuninsun
03-20-2007, 07:46 AM

That's a very good idea. We've done free accounts to test drive sites to see if we like them (I think swappernet was one). It was such a pain in the ass to navigate that we gave up. And now that you mention it, I'm not sure I ever closed the account officially -- and I don't even know what the user name and password was ... so we're one of those gazillion members who are causing irritation.

Uhm. Sorry 'bout that.

And I like the idea of if it was ever a paid account and goes free, that's a different category. Could be the couple isn't as active right then so it doesn't make sense to pay it up.

Hmmm.