pixieandelf7

What do I do with ingrown hairs that end up as boils near my pubic area?

Okay, this is rather embarrassing to post, but here it goes. This isn't a shaving question, just prefaced by my shaving habit.

I have sensitive fair freckled skin. I have been shaving my nether region for years. Occassionally I get an ingrown hair that more or less is like a volcano. The will swell internally and I have at time, used boil creams to draw it out.

This happens about three times per year and they HURT. My midwife (also my gyn) says it's simply ingrown hairs that get exacerbated by a gland down there.

I have exfoliated regularly, coupled with shaving. Use Bikini Zone and Aveeno Sensitive shaving cream with a Venus Vibrance razor. I have used Nair, even plucked once, and it's the same. I think it's more the gland thing.

The scars are ugly, acne/pox-like, and I am terrified someone will think I have Herpes or something.

My husband doesn't notice it at all, he says.

Would a dermatologist touch it? How much do you think it would cost? Could I do an at home microdermabrasion kit? Other than the scars flanking my labia and crack, the anatomy is fine, no complaints.

What can I do to get rid of the scars????

Am I the only one with this problem???

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Pixie - I would check with a dermatologist on this one. I would think that they would be the best qualified to deal with skin issues. But they might also suggest not shaving too. Have you tried Brazilian Waxing?

I used to get ingrown hairs on my neck many years ago when I shaved daily, a brutal task which I decided was a bad idea.

The only way I was ever able to "fix" them was to place a sterilized pin under the loop, pull the ingrown end out and then tweeze out the root. The key, I think, is removing them early. In your case, PixieandElf, I'd suggest you turn this duty over to your husband.

Mrs. Alura has a scar from a biopsy on her left breast. For years, I've been licking it regularly to help it to fade. It seems to be working, although slowly. It would seem an ideal solution to your ingrown-hair caused scars.

:)

Alura said:

Mrs. Alura has a scar from a biopsy on her left breast. For years, I've been licking it regularly to help it to fade. It seems to be working, although slowly. It would seem an ideal solution to your ingrown-hair caused scars.

:)

:lol:

I'm going to look for some scars on Mrs two4you that I may have missed tonight!!!! :D

Pixie, I know you weren't specifically referring to the shaving aspect of your issue, but I must direct your attention to Mr Alura's outstanding instructions on How To Shave a Pussy . It is some of the finest reading on the board. :facelick:

I get the same type of ingrown hairs right where my thigh attaches to my pubic area. They are no fun and they are hard to get rid of and do leave scars. Is that where you get them or do you get them further in? I have found that in the area where I get them I can keep them to a minimum by doing two things:

1. Exfoliate both before and after shaving - often after shaving exfoliating will bring out hairs that you missed in shaving. Then go in with tweezers and pluck those hairs.

2. After you shave and again at night and in the mornings between shaving apply Dove original deodorant to the shaved area. The extra moisturizers help moisturize and the antiperspirant qualities help reduce sweat in the area which can exacerbate ingrown hairs.

Yes Julie! That's it, they're not any further in, not ON my vagina or ON my thighs, just the 'runway' flanking both sides of my vagina, and a few on my heinie crack, lol.

Elf says it shows up way more in pics than it appears in real life, though.

I am going to try the Dove deoderant stick, though!

I get those too in the same area, they do leave some ugly scars makes me very self consious. I think we notice the scars much more than someone else would. My husband and our male friend have not said anything derogatory about them. So I really think they bother me more than them. I am also going to try the dove thing. sounds like it may work. I also use lever 2000 soap for extra moisturizing.

Waxing also helps to stop ingrown hairs however if you're area is that sensitive, I'm not sure you want to go there. Best thing to do is find a really good waxer who knows what they are doing. They aren't all good you know.

OMG, I am SOOOOO glad someone else posted this. I posted something similar somewhere, complaining about ingrown hairs that turn into boils. EWWW, but true. lol

I have had to have two of them surgically removed because the bacteria that causes them to inflame into such large and painful boils tends to be staph, which is often recurring, and many times embeds itself as resistant staph in the tissues and the boils will recur in the same locations periodically, and have to be removed surgically to rid your body of the chronic infection. Two of the ones I had removed lefts scars ... obvious scars. One of which is right in the middle of my right butt cheek :eek: . How attractive is that during doggie style? :nono: LOL

The other is in the "valley" between my right thigh and my pubic region. Then on the left side I have two others that will have to be surgically removed because they now appear as two bruises that will not go away. So my pubic region resembles Frankenstein's monster .... lol, stitching scars and bruising. OMG.

I have found that Nair does seem to prevent the recurrence in me. It is such a pain in the ass though, to sit and wait out the 10 minutes with that gunk spread all over my pubic region, with my door locked and totally unavailable to my very invasive and nosy kids. lol I have tried the coochy cream stuff .... doesn't work. I have tried shaving in direction of hair growth. Doesn't work. I can't afford Brazilian waxing and am embarrassed anyway :rollseyes: , and I can't stomach the thought of doing self-waxing, especially after what Julie said about it once. :nono: And, I am sorry, but I can't stop depillitating my hair ... just cannot live with bush. LOL

My doctors have told me NOT to lance the boils myself, but I have done that with some success, but still recurrence in the same area. When you go to the doctor to have it dealt with, they will lance the boil, which provides immediate relief of the agonizing pain, and I prefer to do it without anesthetic, because when they introduce the needle into the site, it hurts like absolute HELL, as well as the lidocaine BURNS like hell. It's basically far more pain than a quick swipe with the scalpel to open it up. The difference between the doctor doing it and doing it yourself is that the doctor will pack the wound to keep it from closing up immediately, allowing it to continually drain while you take antibiotics to kill the bacteria. Otherwise, without the packing, the wound will close, harboring the infection inside, requiring another lancing because it will not heal. And staph is a mutating bacteria .... different in everyone, which is why it becomes resistant so easily and requires the chronic tissue to be removed.

I guess I don't have any advice, just wanted to say that I can sympathize because I am a card-carrying member of the "Ugly Vagina" club. LOL I guess if you have no complainers, and it still works properly .... lol .... then don't worry too much about it. If someone is afraid you have herpes, let them know that herpes doesn't look like that. Go online and look at some photos of herpes outbreaks. Looks totally different than my nasty ass boils. lol

Well, I feel for you. We both get them occasionally and they do hurt and look bad...but that is part of the deal if you are going to shave. What about just trimming the pubes once in a while. Fem D shaves her front but not the backdoor. It really is not a problem to be with some who doesn't shave.

I wish you well!

I agree that you have to read Alura's guide to shaving..it is really awesome!

The Dove works wonders, I have had less problems since I have started using it. I think preparing to shave properly will help too. i find that soaking in a hot bath makes things much easier.

OK...... I have found that if I shave last in the shower my hair is much softer and I use a moisturizing gel that really works well. (Skintimate for underarms and bikini with vitimin E). Also right after shaving I put on just a little neosporin+pain relief to help the bumps.

Male D said that we both get them occaisionally, but I haven't has one in years. I have to agree that it almost looks unhealthy see open sores on someones ass. Most of us know what that all about and it's not a problem.

And besides the fact I don't think any man has ever said he saw a ugly vagina.

Guest hammerit12
:) Well, you are definately NOT the only one with this problem. I do also have the same dilemma. I get maybe one a year. I was so afraid I had a disease I finally went to the dermatologist and got some cream for them. She says you can have them surgically removed but they can come back. There is no cure either, it is from shaving mostly. I will be solving my problem with laser. I have had one session, but will not notice any hair gone until about the third session. Needless to say I am very excited!! No more shaving, itches, zero!! Yahoo!!!!!!!!!! T

I would talk to your Family Doctor (my bias), or a derm - but you should consider going on prophylactic antibiotics. When you shave, the hair follicle is pulled on and cut shorter than the opening of the follicle. Then when it snaps back, it brings in bacteria. End result = UBS (ugly bootie syndrome) - ha, I just made that up! :rolleyes: Anyway, I strongly recommend that you not shave there, and if you must, shave WITH the grain, not AGAINST it! Consider using Nair, but apply a little barrier cream to the inside of the labia on the mucous membrane area. But THE solution is probably laser, if you can afford it.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Elf and I took a really good look at them together. It's not *as* bad as I thought, but there's room for improvement!

We bought the Neutrogena Microdermabrasion Kit. I'll update here if I see any results. I also bought Mederma, which will lighten the scars and force them to make new skin cells. I also have a glycolic peel I'll be using 3x per week.

I'm also thinking maybe I need a powder in my crack? Burt's Bees makes a calming cornstarch powder with herbs for babies. Seems gentle enough.

I will have a pretty (hairless) kitty and crack. If nothing works, I will shell out for the dermatologist.

I'm also thinking maybe I need a powder in my crack? Burt's Bees makes a calming cornstarch powder with herbs for babies. Seems gentle enough.

I use this before and after waxing. It works great.

Mr. Vespertine uses Burt's Bees Beeswax Moisturizing Cream after shaving his bat n'balls. He doesn't get any skin irritation and it makes his skin super soft.

Many powders are made from talc, but the Burt's Bee's powder is cornstarch based and has calming herbs added in. I'm only using it in my heinie crack, lol.

No yeastie beasties for me.

The Mrs. uses the shave cream that is made for black men and follows that with the Dove deodorant. Big improvement.

I use this before and after waxing. It works great.

Mr. Vespertine uses Burt's Bees Beeswax Moisturizing Cream after shaving his bat n'balls. He doesn't get any skin irritation and it makes his skin super soft.

Burts Bees stuff is almost universally good, isn't it?

(I love the term "bat n' balls!" Never heard that before and it cracked me up!)

Do any of you notice that the occurrence of these bumps happens around your period? I have noticed that when I do get them it is usually close or while I am on it. Maybe this is something hormonal also?

Perhaps you could consult with an esthetician. I have a friend that does this and she seems to know quite a bit about hair/skin stuff.

Geeze dixie, sounds like an awful ordeal to be putting yourself through. Ever think to just Ixnay on the aveshay??? Why can't you just be natural? :confused:

Geeze dixie, sounds like an awful ordeal to be putting yourself through. Ever think to just Ixnay on the aveshay??? Why can't you just be natural? :confused:

Well natural is 'N' in Europe, but seems to have gone out of vogue after the 1970's.

Mr Twist encouraged me to go natural as I don't have a ton of hair anyway... but I miss the waxing ouchie fun! I have had less issues going natural. I have what I call a crankie hooch. It is much improved with using a liquid baby soap. No possibility of burning soap either!! I think the chemicals in soap are harsh and create issues. When I was younger and getting my period (bleck. glad THAT is over with) I would swab with betadine solution (watered down) and that kept the bacteria down. Bring a large purse on pap test day and take a free bottle!!! That stuff is expensive!! What the hell. I need all the discounts I can get and they charge too much anyway. lol. I will check out the Dove stuff too. But girls... naked pussy is cute, but natural pussy is NATURAL and so much less problematic!!!

I always shave these days unless I'm being really lazy - it is never perfect, but I'm no supermodel elsewhere so I'm happy with it! I usually shave 2 or 3 times a week to keep the stubble down. I prefer the look and feel of shaving, hairy doesn't do much for me!