Atilla

Pros and cons of belly button piercings? Advice about after care?

My hubby loves and is very turned on by belly button piercing. One of the girls that we play with has one and he gets so turned on by it. He's always wanted me to get one but I didn't want to until we were done having kids. Well, we're done now and I'm thinking about doing it.

I've heard from other people who have had it done that it takes up to 6 months to totally heal up and the chance of infection is great.

Does anyone have any belly button piercings and can you give me any recommendations or advice, pro or con. I want to hear it all before I do this.

Thanks in advance

I had a terrible time with my two belly piercings.

They both took well over 6 months to heal. The first one was ripped out while I was making love. It hurt...a lot!

I removed the second one because it was very uncomfortable under clothing. It would be rubbed against the fabric of my clothing until it would become raw and painful. Nowadays, the style of pants are very low cut at the waist so you might not have that problem. Keep in mind if you have kids that you still need to pick up or that like to crawl on your lap you need to be very careful with your piercing.

If you want my honest opinion I think they're more trouble than they're worth.

I can't actually remember when I got mine done... but it was quite some time ago (2 years?)

It does take a long time to heal. At this point I don't notice it at all. I can yank on it and I barely even feel it. However, when it's healing it can be a major pain! If you wear pants that come across your belly button you'll have a very hard time. I wear my pants quite low so my belt doesn't come near my belly button. But I know people who wear higher pants have a lot of trouble.

If you really want it then get it - but be prepared to take care of it really well until in heals up completely. And don't be surprised if that healing takes 6 months.

Another question for you is how badly did it hurt???? I'm a wimp when it comes to pain. Mind you if I can have a baby in 2 3/4 hours with no pain relief, I should be able to do anything right???

Yes they do take a while to heal but I had no problems at all with mine...stayed tender for a couple weeks then only hurt if i bumped it hard. Now when you get it done it is pretty quick..hurts for a few minutes and stays pretty sore all day. But really it wasnt bad. Make sure you wear low cut pants so it doesnt rub or even get near your belly button. I love mine and would do it again if anything ever happens to this one.

I didn't have a lot of trouble with getting it done. Not too painful. It's done in a second! - I'd say it feels about the same as having a blood test.

Guest Mr&Mrs-naughty

Mine took a looooooong time to heal.

(however, I'm not much on being told what I can & cannot do, so when the guy said no sun, no water *in july mind you* I did what I wanted & it cost me)

My advice-same as the others....wear low pants. Also I've found that some of my belts catch while I'm sitting when I wear a ring-I have to wear a bar with certain cuts of pants.

I didn't think the actual act of piercing hurt & I have a low tolerance for pain. But I chose to sunbathe & swim both in the lake & the pool & it hurt BAD.

I have had mine done three times due to having kids (took it out during both pregnancies) and I didn't think it hurt that bad. Of course I didn't think having kids naturally was bad either (no epidural for this gal). I thought it hurt more the next couple months every time I caught it on something. They are right when they say it takes months for it to fully heal. Infection really isn't a problem if you clean it the way you're supposed to and you pick a metal that doesn't react badly with your body chemistry.

I have had this last one now for five years. I LOVE IT! and most the men I meet love it too. I can rip and tear on it and not even notice that it is there. It never bothers me in any way now. I prefer the bar/half circle type of ring as opposed to a fully closed circle. They are more comfortable with clothes. Aslo, make sure the gauge (spelling??) is big enough. My first one started cutting its way out because it was so thin. The guy said it was like a cheese slicer. Nice mental image!

Hope this helps.

-M

Ooo! That's a good point about the thickness, JU. Mine is a 14 guage and it's just fine. Also, you want to think about what you get it pierced with. Consider the following:

- a ring will be easier to clean

- however, a ring may also be less comfortable under clothes

- a barbell sits flush on your body and, therefore, will not get in the way as much

- even a barbell will get caught on things and it will be irritating - be careful

- if you chose the barbell just get a simple one. Stay away from the fancy ones with big jewels on the bottom. My piercer offers these but I think they are a pain. I've had 2 friends have problems with them. The bottom bead is heavy and it pulls on the top bead causing pressure and discomfort (and infection).

- don't let this discourage you. If you want a belly piercing I say go for it. They are very cute and they do eventually heal.

Ooo! That's a good point about the thickness, JU. Mine is a 14 guage and it's just fine.

Oh, just remembered something!

Gauge is important but also how deep your piercing is placed is just as important.

My first piercing seemed closer to the surface than my second one. I think that's why it ripped out easy. The second piercing I had seemed to be deeper and have more flesh to cushion it.

One last piece of advice. Go to a piercer you know you can trust. If you don't have one ask some people you know who have mulitple piercings. A good piercer will tell you all of the above and maybe even something more.

Holy Crap, a 14 guage needle????? That's fairly big. I actually take blood from people for a living and we don't go enywhere close to that size a needle. Any smaller isn't good then, is that what you're all saying?

I'm going to start researching piercing/tattoo parlors in my town. I want a piercer who is immaculately clean.

Also I was thinking of having a semi circle piercing done from the top top the middle of my navel. I'm not sure what that's called, I know they all have names but...duh. Does anyone have one of these and do you have any problems with it catching on clothing. I wear low cut jeans anyways so that's not a problem.

It's booked for today. I'm going to surprise hubby with it when I see him tomorrow night when he gets home from work. I'm so excited

I just got my belly button pierced two days ago, and it hurt but only for a few seconds. It has been really sore when I bend over over, sit in the car and when I bump up against something. I would do it again, I think it looks really sexy, cant wait till hubby can play with it ::P:

It went very well. It was just a sharp pinch and that was it. No more pain that day. Next day however, was sore, and the day after that and the day after that, etc.

It looks good, I'm swabbing it lots with antiseptic. I'd hate to let it get infected.

I got a double jeweled barbell and it looks great.

DSC00718.jpg

I'm so happy I had it done

How is it going for you? I've had mine done the 3rd time for 10 months now and it's still in the healing process. I've noticed mine isn't as deep as it was several months ago and my gut feeling is that my body will eventually reject it. I'm just going to enjoy it for as long as I can and then if it doesn't heal within a few months I'll take it out. I won't be going back for a 4th time, I can only imagine the scar tissue build up!

Male S here. My wife had her belly button pierced when I met her. I remember that it looked really great. However, not long after it got really infected. She was cleaning it every day and doing everything right, but it seemed to rub on everything and become more infected. She eventually removed it, and it left a little scar, nothing noticeable or distracting, at least to anyone else, but she knows it is there and that bugs her a little. I don't know if she'll do it again, I was the one that begged her to take it out, because an infected belly button just isn't sexy, and I knew it hurt her a lot.

Well, it's been two months now almost since I've had it done. Every once in a while it starts getting sore and I get on cleaning it up really good. I've been using Bactine on a Q-tip to clean the outside but when it does get good and sore, I just use an over the counter antibiotic ointment that you can get in any drug store, rub it on the tip of my barbell, work it in and out of the hole (OMG, this sounds like sex, lol), and then off I go. This usually does the trick for me.

Sea salt soaks work wonders when it's red and sore and getting infected. That's what I've always used and it clears it right up. My problem is the elastic band on my scrub pants. I try to keep it rolled down but it creeps back up and rubs.

I have my pierced and it turns my hubby on. It does take 6 months to heal, but it is so worth it. I'm trying to talk him into getting his wang pierced. I think that would be so incredible.

My regular waist pants ride too and then it irritates it even more. I've gotten to wearing low cut jeans so that hasn't been a problem but God Frobid when they go out of style

Another thing I forgot to mention is that if you take Zinc, it promotes healing of wounds, or so my piercing person told me, I didn't take it.

Thanks for the info Attilla! :)

I've heard that it's the nickel in metal that is the worst offender. My mother said if her rings had any nickel content, they were the ones that bothered her the most. However, even her 14 kt. gold rings started breaking her out eventually. A doctor told her that before long, the only metal she would be able to wear was platinum. Her wedding ring was platinum, and by the time she was 60, it was the only jewelry she could wear comfortably.

The reason why I think I'm developing the same allergy, is because I used to wear earrings daily and not too long ago, they would start burning and itching something awful. Then eventually, my ear lobes began looking very red and the skin looked almost blistered. I showed my mother and she said her metal allergy started the same way. First her ears, then her necklaces bothered her, then her rings, etc. I stopped wearing earrings quite a while back, and now I noticed my necklaces have just started to bother me...

I got my belly button done about 6 weeks ago. No problem getting it done and no problem in the first couple weeks except for a little occasional tenderness.

However, I have an infection at the topside of the piercing, now, and I don’t understand since I have followed all recommended aftercare procedures, with the exception of the kind of anti-bacterial soap. My piercer told me not to use Dial or any anti-bacterial soap with the active ingredient that starts with a ‘T’ – by the way, this is the most common antibacterial ingredient on the market, so very easy to come by. I was told to instead find a soap containing an ingredient “chlor ……?”, I figured I would know if I saw it when reading the ingredient lists on the back of the soap bottles. No luck, this stuff cannot be found, everything has the other ingredient (Triculan or something????). Then I compare all that to recent articles I have read about the ineffectiveness and in fact harmfulness of antibacterial soaps and I wonder what the heck can I do????? :confused:

I have a very red, angry belly button right not. Not terribly painful, but not particularly attractive either. I have used the sea salts, the antibacterial soap, kept it clean, used betadine and a Johnson & Johnson antiseptic wash. It’s not getting any better and I am concerned that I may just have to take the damn thing out …. Something I don’t want to do because I have wanted it for so long. :(

By the way, don’t mean to detract from Mrs. Spoo’s good news; I just thought maybe some of you reading this thread might have some advice. Congratulations Mrs. Spoo!!! I hope yours fares much better than mine has.

:D

I would avoid the betadine, that could end up leaving the skin more irritated and that irritation making it prone to problems later on. When mine got looking like that I washed it once a day while I showered with Lever 2000 bar soap making a good lather with my clean hands and washing it with my fingers. I kept up the sea salt soaks 5 minutes a day twice a day. After the soak I coated the bar with a little triple antibiotic ointment. I think I was told not to use the ointment by who did my peircing but the dr. at work thought it would help and it did... I had it cleared up in 3-4 days. It's crucial to not let anything rub on it during that time.

Thanks Lilo ... very helpful. My husband had suggested Lever 2000 and neosporin, but since my piercer was very adamant and specific in his instructions not to use neosporin, I didn't want to deviate. I will try this though since you have had positive results.

I use Betadine every time mine flares up a bit and I have no problems with irritation. I also use an over the counter antibiotic ointment, putting it on the bar and working it through. This works everytime. Everyone has good advice on what to do, any of these methods of after care will work.

There are already about 3 other ladies at work who said they have always wanted one but just never did. They want me to go with them now so they can get one too

See? it's contagious, lol. Have lots of fun with your piercing Mrs. Spoo. Have I mentioned yet that ebay has great deals on lots of different types of jewelery to use?

See? it's contagious, lol. Have lots of fun with your piercing Mrs. Spoo. Have I mentioned yet that ebay has great deals on lots of different types of jewelery to use?

Yes you did but I am resisting the temptation to even look right now since my piercer said I can't change for at least 4 months.

As far as the cleaning goes, mine told me not to use anything you can find at the grocery. They sold me a bottle of antibacterial soap (no more expensive than at the store) and said that was better than Dial etc. Maybe that is because of the "secret" ingrediant that seems to be in most antibacterial soaps that txduo2000 was looking for. Anyway, she said to wash it once a day with the soap I got from them and use the sea salt soak at night, always wash my hands before cleaning and never, never, touch it any other time. I guess our hands get pretty dirty through the day :eek:

Since I'm just a week in, I can't give much advice other than what I was told but I guarantee if it gets infected I'll be back here reading this thread to find out how to fix it :rolleyes:

Mrs Spoomonkey

Thanks Lilo ... very helpful. My husband had suggested Lever 2000 and neosporin, but since my piercer was very adamant and specific in his instructions not to use neosporin, I didn't want to deviate. I will try this though since you have had positive results.

Agreed! Things like neosporin are a bad idea for your piercing. A piercing is a very unique kind of wound. There is a foreign object in there but you actually want it to stay there. Stick to the aftercare instructions given to you by your piercer.

Hibiclens is another good thing to wash with. Also might try some A&D Ointment - helps to heal, but without the scabbing that neosporin causes. I do use neopsorin though if my piercing gets a little infected. You might try going to see your piercer or calling them to see what they recommend - that's your best bet.

Jenn

What about good ol hydrogen Peroxide?? Wouldn't that work too?

What about good ol hydrogen Peroxide?? Wouldn't that work too?

I've done that too when it has gotten bad - whatever works - I say get rid of the infection first then worry about the piercing though.....

Jenn

Personally, I wouldn't put hydrogen peroxide on a piercing. My advice is to follow the after care instructions given to your by your piercer. If it gets infected and won't get better using regular cleaning methods just give said piercer a call and ask for a bit of advice. If you've gone to a good piercer in the first place they should be more than happy to help. ;)

Personally, I wouldn't put hydrogen peroxide on a piercing. My advice is to follow the after care instructions given to your by your piercer. If it gets infected and won't get better using regular cleaning methods just give said piercer a call and ask for a bit of advice. If you've gone to a good piercer in the first place they should be more than happy to help. ;)

See, but this is my problem ... I have done all that they have suggested. I went back and had them look at it and asked for further suggestions ... nothing is working.

Today I got some Hibiclens, A&D ointment, hydrogen peroxide and Lever 2000 soap. Somehow, someway, it's got to heal!!! :D

Thanks all.

A&D ointment is a lot different than triple antibiotic ointment. Hibiclens is what we use in the ER for cleaning wounds, that's a really good cleanser. I wouldn't use hydrogen peroxide either but if you feel you must it should be diluted. Don't fuss with it too much, that alone with irritate it.

Well, it's been two months and a bit since I got mine and I do still have the odd occasional flare up. I'm wondering now though if it's not the metal on some of the jewellery I'm wearing.

If I wear the bar that I was pierced with, I'm ok usually. That bar is a combination of several metals. If I wear my other jewellery that have surgical steel posts, I tend to flare up, maybe not right away, but it's bound to happen.

I do clean everything really well before I put it in too. I don't know but I do know I'm looking forward to the day that I don't have to fuss with it anymore. I guess I'm lucky after hearing some peoples stories.

Tuxduo, what type of jewelry do you have in your piercing? Some people heal better with different shape jewelry, I had a captive bead to start and that didnt do well, it twisted too much, then I tried a curved barbell, and that was better,I even tried a straight one but that one got caught on stuff,belly button sweat is a major culprit, iused alcohol around mine (not directly oon the piercing) but to keep my button area dry. Also, is your jewelry surgical steel?? It really needs to be. HTH (I do piercings and have many)Good luck!!

Mine is a surgical steel, curved barbell. It was from the start.

It hasn't healed completely, but it isn't as bad as it was. I started using chamomile tea soaks on it and that seemed to help. It still gets hung up on things occasionally, but that I can't help. I have to dress conservatively for work, and not many suits and skirts are low-rise in the waist. Plus, I didn't want to have to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe just for this piercing. lol

I am actually considering having gold put in. My sister in law had done that, and it fared much better.

I did get it done on Saturday the 1st ;)

Yes, it does pinch when it's put in. The first night it stung/was uncomfy for awhile. Today it was relatively fine. We attended a wedding and I did the Cha Cha Slide and the Electric slide with no problems. I bent over at one point yesterday and woah, that hurt.

Now it stings when I wash it, but other than that it's fine. Hubby keeps researching all different things about belly piercings. He wants to prove that their method of cleaning is wrong.. He's pissed that they wouldn't let him go back with me when I got it done. Seems each thing he reads on the net mentions another method to clean it.

They told me to soak it in warm/hot water (a shower it seems) for 3-5 minutes, then take a q-tip and remove and crust that's there. Use another q-tip and put Dial Antibacterial soap on the piercing and move it around. Let the soap sit there for 1-2 minutes. Then rinse and let the water hit it for 3-5 minutes as you move the ring around.

I asked about the sea salts mixture and she mentioned it was just messy and not worth it. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hope it heals asap ;) I am thankful that most of my clothing is low rise though and that it's not sweater season yet!