PDA

View Full Version : de-logged

Spoomonkey
03-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Anyone else having problems being logged out? It is happening every time I come on and it has been happening when I'm trying to post...

It is driving me nuts...

Spoomonkey

curiousagain
03-23-2005, 08:21 PM
I have always had that problem.

LikeMinds321
03-23-2005, 08:24 PM
I just logged out and back in. No problem.

Maybe I'm having your problem but don't see it as a problem because I know how to get around it. :lol:

Tell me more Spoo Baby, "May I help you...?" [My new custom user title, have you noticed?]

LM

Mr&Mrs-naughty
03-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Never had that problem Spoo. :confused:

I did have a problem similar, though not the same, as yours on another message board that I had listed in my favorites.
It seemed that when I added it to my favorites list I did it when I was not logged into the site. So, everytime I went to the site through 'my favorites' it told me I was not logged on.

curiousagain
03-23-2005, 08:36 PM
The problem I have is while composing a response or a private message, it logs me out then I lose what I typed cause when I hit send, it has me log back in and my typing is gone.

LikeMinds321
03-23-2005, 08:43 PM
The problem I have is while composing a response or a private message, it logs me out then I lose what I typed cause when I hit send, it has me log back in and my typing is gone.Logs you out or are you taken off line?

I was having real problems with being knocked off line and loosing everything I composed that hadn't been sent. I started a copy/paste habit to avoid the problem of loosing what I had written, and that has saved me.

LM

Just_us49
03-23-2005, 08:46 PM
YES YES YES. Just started last night and is driving me nuts too! Everytime I turn around I get the "looks like you're not logged in or haven't registered yet..."

HELP

-D

Mr&Mrs-naughty
03-23-2005, 09:06 PM
We have never had ANY of the problems mentioned. Never get kicked off, never lost typing while trying to post or PM?? :confused:

The only time we have come to the board and not have been logged on is when we De-frag, other than when we log off intentionaly.

Not sure.... :confused:

Sure does like it could get frustrating Quick!! :(

Spoomonkey
03-23-2005, 09:10 PM
We have never had ANY of the problems mentioned. Never get kicked off, never lost typing while trying to post or PM?? :confused:

Well - when I click on my favorite, it brings me up as logged in, but the minute I click on anything (usually User CP is where I go first) it tells me I'm not loggied in. Then I have to log in... Not a really big deal, but I am just so used to being able to click and go.

I wrote a long - and pretty funny - thread starter this morning about my daughter's visit tomorrow, but when I went to post it, I was logged out. If there had been a chicken close, I would have killed it with my teeth (a great stress relief for the uninitiated...)

Spoomonkey

JustAskJulie
03-23-2005, 09:26 PM
I was running into that a bit yesterday but it has cleared up for me.

Try logging out, closing the site, deleting your cookies then returning and see if that helps.

imsnowman
03-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Well - when I click on my favorite, it brings me up as logged in, but the minute I click on anything (usually User CP is where I go first) it tells me I'm not loggied in. Then I have to log in... Not a really big deal, but I am just so used to being able to click and go.

I wrote a long - and pretty funny - thread starter this morning about my daughter's visit tomorrow, but when I went to post it, I was logged out. If there had been a chicken close, I would have killed it with my teeth (a great stress relief for the uninitiated...)

Spoomonkey

I was just getting ready to complain about the same problem but then I noticed your thread. All my other cookies for other sites are working fine.

The note on the opening page says to delete all your cookies to correct the problem but I can't see ruining all my other sites because this one has a problem.

Somebody Help !! :sad:

curiousagain
03-23-2005, 09:46 PM
I get logged out of the site while composing a reply or PM. So, I compose it then copy it and if I get logged out, I log back in, and just paste it.

JustAskJulie
03-23-2005, 10:14 PM
You can go into your cookies folder and delete just the cookies for this site, without affecting those for other sites, just look for one with swingersboard.com in the name

two4youinswva
03-23-2005, 10:16 PM
What browser are you guys using? I use Mozilla Firefox and haven't had that problem. Just wondering if it is browser specific.

ALilOEverything
03-23-2005, 10:16 PM
It's been happening every time with me since yesterday. I cleared my cookies but it didn't seem to work. I've never had this happen before, never had a problem staying logged in.

imsnowman
03-23-2005, 10:33 PM
You can go into your cookies folder and delete just the cookies for this site, without affecting those for other sites, just look for one with swingersboard.com in the name

Ok, I tried that. Got rid of all the old swingersboard.com cookies, logged in again, saw the new cookie, closed everything, and rebooted. When I came back up, I opened swingersboard.com and voila, I was logged in. Unfortunately, as soon as I left the home page to look at a thread, I was logged out. :confused: Now what??

JustAskJulie
03-24-2005, 12:10 AM
I don't know :( I don't have an explanation for this, like I said I encountered it yesterday but haven't since, and overall there's no reason why this should suddenly come up as nothing has changed to give any reason for it :( I will look into it further, though, and see if I can't come up with some sort of reason.

jen
03-24-2005, 01:23 AM
I had trouble yesterday. Came over here to read stuff like I do lots of days and found myself logged out.

Even had to send for my password cause I'd been logged on for so long that I couldn't remember it.

Didn't receive it, but did remember my password tonight and haven't had any trouble since.

Computers are weird.

Happy ending though, alls well.

:)

amBIdextrous
03-24-2005, 02:27 AM
I got delogged yesterday and again just now. I thought I was being punished for something, or being censored. Got really annoyed about it too.
Feel somewhat better about it now, knowing it is just an error.

Buck
03-24-2005, 04:41 AM
The same thing has been happening to me for the past two or three days. I've deleted cookies and actually shut down my computer then restarted and
the same thing happens. Since it is happening to so many of us it must be the website itself.

Spoomonkey
03-24-2005, 07:07 AM
Thanks for looking into it, Julie!

Lord knows you can't control every weird glitch in the world, but you always seem to get to the bottom of things. I feel much better knowing that it is a site thing and not a spoomonkey computer thing. I seem to download more viruses than a guy who plays with crack whores...

:(

But - swingersboard is worth a little headache now and then :D

Spoomonkey

Just_us49
03-24-2005, 07:23 AM
Yea, It has to be in the code on the site some way or another. It's not seeing the cookie that was set in each person's computer. I've never had the trouble till a couple of days ago and now every time I turn around I'm logged out...

I tried clearing out everything, adjusting my browser settings, no luck.

-D

JustAskJulie
03-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Yea, It has to be in the code on the site some way or another. It's not seeing the cookie that was set in each person's computer. I've never had the trouble till a couple of days ago and now every time I turn around I'm logged out...

I tried clearing out everything, adjusting my browser settings, no luck.

-D

As much as I tend to agree that it has to be, there's no reason for it to be since nothing has changed (as far as the code goes), so why all the sudden?

Spoomonkey
03-24-2005, 03:49 PM
As much as I tend to agree that it has to be, there's no reason for it to be since nothing has changed (as far as the code goes), so why all the sudden?

Oddly - I clicked right through this afternoon...

Maybe it is fixed...

Spoomonkey

JustAskJulie
03-24-2005, 03:53 PM
nope, cuz now I'm having problems again.

I'm going to upgrade the forum software tomorrow morning, hopefully that will fix whatever is wrong.

Just_us49
03-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Still like it was for me.

Chip_n_Muffy
03-24-2005, 06:35 PM
For what it's worth, on the computer at work I run Internet Explorer. It has been very problematic today. Just got home, logged into the site through Mozilla and it is performing flawlessly. I think it is browser specific. Think I'll download Moziilla for the work computer and see that fixes the problem there. Moziilla seems to be a much more stable browser.

JustAskJulie
03-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Wonder if it could be connected to the latest IE updates?!

good times
03-24-2005, 07:13 PM
Could be, I use Firefox and haven't had a problem.

Hope I didn't just jinx myself.:)

luvinit
03-24-2005, 08:13 PM
FYI Im having the same problem, when I pull up the site it doesnt keep me logged in either, I have to log in each time.

imsnowman
03-24-2005, 11:05 PM
It's working for me now and I didn't change a thing other than that previously reported. :)

JustAskJulie
03-25-2005, 01:32 PM
beating my head on the wall over this one. It seems to come and go, I went a day and a half without running into it once... then it's back. The upgrades don't seem to have helped.

Based on the feedback above with who is experiencing it, I can't help but think it is related to whatever IE's latest security update was. Their need to control everything just tends to make things more and more problematic :( Maybe they are just trying to get people to stop using them.

good times
03-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Maybe they are just trying to get people to stop using them.

Worked for me, I haven't used IE in about 6 years unless I have to. Like when you go to the windows update sight.

curiousagain
03-25-2005, 03:31 PM
What ya using GT?
I am ready for a change, myself.

JustAskJulie
03-25-2005, 03:55 PM
I just downloaded Firefox and installed it. It amazed me how much faster everything loaded, and I didn't run into the login problem at all while I was using it. Need more testing.

good times
03-25-2005, 04:23 PM
What ya using GT?
I am ready for a change, myself.

Firefox, I've been using it since it was in Beta and once you get used to tabbed browsing you can never go back. As an example; when I come to the board I click on new post, then I go down the list and right click on all the posts I want to read and open them in a new tab. Then I close that tab and read the next one, and so on until I'm done. No more waiting for windows to open or pages to load. You can get it Here (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)

From what I've read, Firefox was the result of AOL deciding they were not going to support Netscape any longer. They let all of their devlopers go and most of them went over to the Mozilla project and Firefox was the result. An interesting bit of trivia is that one of the major financial supporters for the Mozilla project was AOL. Strange, isn't it?

By the way, Firefoxes companion Email client is Mozilla Thunderbird, the best email client available, in my opinion.

And in case anybody is wondering, no, I don't have any interest in Mozilla other than they have a couple of good products, and they are both FREE.

JustAskJulie
03-25-2005, 06:01 PM
The tabbed browsing thing is really cool, once you get it figured out. My bf is a MAC user and I was quite jealous when I got to play with that feature on the Mac browser. I think I'm gonna like Firefox.

VegasLee
03-25-2005, 06:07 PM
For years I was a die hard Netscape fan but after AOL bought them nothing good happened. I changed to IE.

Netscape 8 is GREAT! :D It also has the ie engine in it so you can change over when pages don't look right in Netscape. That is something Firefox does not have. You get the tapped browsing and many new other cool tricks.

Check it out.

We have been having the logging in problem in here for the last three days using IE. I just opened Netscape 8 and all is well. Have a feeling something in your data has changed Julie that is not doing well with the newer IE browsers.

imsnowman
03-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Firefox, I've been using it since it was in Beta and once you get used to tabbed browsing you can never go back. As an example; when I come to the board I click on new post, then I go down the list and right click on all the posts I want to read and open them in a new tab. Then I close that tab and read the next one, and so on until I'm done. No more waiting for windows to open or pages to load. You can get it Here (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)

From what I've read, Firefox was the result of AOL deciding they were not going to support Netscape any longer. They let all of their devlopers go and most of them went over to the Mozilla project and Firefox was the result. An interesting bit of trivia is that one of the major financial supporters for the Mozilla project was AOL. Strange, isn't it?

By the way, Firefoxes companion Email client is Mozilla Thunderbird, the best email client available, in my opinion.

And in case anybody is wondering, no, I don't have any interest in Mozilla other than they have a couple of good products, and they are both FREE.

This post is probably a bad idea, but I'm still problem-free since the other day. :rolleyes:
For those of you who switched to Firefox be sure to go back to their website for updates periodically. Contrary to rumors they do have security issues and as more people use it their will be more hacker attacks. They do not publicize their upgrades but they do have them.

two4youinswva
03-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Firefox, I've been using it since it was in Beta and once you get used to tabbed browsing you can never go back.

Dito We love Firefox and it's pretty much all we use. I actually downloaded it out of desperation when my laptop wouldn't stop crashing. I tried everything to fix it, and as an afterthought, decided it might be IE causing it. Got Firefox, and the crashing stopped immediately.

two4you

hfire269
03-25-2005, 10:05 PM
When Im on the home page Im logged in but as soon as I click on any link Im logged out.

curiousagain
03-25-2005, 11:14 PM
If firefox is free, how do the developers get their money back? There has to be some way and if it's free, I'm thinking maybe spyware??

VegasLee
03-26-2005, 09:57 AM
The new Netscape 8 has both engines in it. The main one being firefox and you can also use the IE engine in it since the firefox engine does not support all types of coding at this time.

The tapped browsing is great once you get used to it.

Even though netscape and firefox and IE are all FREE there is no spyware in them.

Spoomonkey
03-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Holy Cow!!!

That worked!!!

I did the Firefox thing and now we'll have to see if things keep cleared... This is kind of cool already, though...

Spoomonkey

JustAskJulie
03-26-2005, 11:40 AM
If firefox is free, how do the developers get their money back? There has to be some way and if it's free, I'm thinking maybe spyware??

The netscape/ mozilla browsers have always been free. Actually, when it comes down to it so is IE, it just comes pre-built into every windows machine on the planet.

It goes back to the olden days of the internets and programming when the attitude was that it was information and information should be free, so programs like that were released and programmers allowed full access to the source codes so that they could make the programs better. Think of it more not as a corporation owning the program (like with IE) but more as the people own the program, if we already own it, why would we have to pay for it.

Believe it or not, some of the best things on the internet are still free :)

imsnowman
03-26-2005, 04:38 PM
Very intermittent now for me although I've had to log-in everytime I'm using a link from an email subscribed thread.

couplefromma
03-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Well I use firefox and mozilla products for years but I have the log on problem even with firefox...ugh!!!

WesternSwing
03-28-2005, 02:50 PM
I downloaded Firefox and it fixed the problem for me. I noticed on IE6 that even when I log-in it will tell me I am not registered, so I log-in and it works, until I go through a couple screens, then I get logged-out again.

Mr. WS

good times
03-28-2005, 09:43 PM

The mozilla foundation is a non profit corporation that is supported by sponsors, donations and industry partners. It was originally funded by AOL's Netscape division but has many other sponsors now. Firefox contains no spyware and is open source.

ALilOEverything
03-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Well I finally got sick of the delogging thing and decided to download the firefox browser to check it out. There are definitely a couple neat features but I went through the handful of bookmarks I have and a couple of them didn't display right. One was only the html wording itself and the other said I needed to download a plugin but it couldn't find the one I needed.

How often does the website you're looking at either not display or not display properly? It's well worth having the second browser on this computer to make surfing this site easier but it would be nice to only use one and not both IE and Firefox.

BradAndJanet
03-30-2005, 06:53 PM
There aren't too many sites I visit that don't render correctly, in fact none that I can think of, but I suppose it's different for everybody.

Do you remember what plugin it was looking for? I might be able to help you find where to go to download it maunally.

-B

good times
03-30-2005, 09:00 PM
I'm with Brad here, I've only had one sight that wouldn't work with Firefox, that was the order sight for Bob and Sandy's "Talk about swinging" book (that reminds me, I never did get that ordered). Other than that it has always worked fine. Firefox actually has a pretty good help page which tells how to instal and has links to most of the plug-ins. Just click on "help contents" to get there. You can get most of the common plug-ins here (http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp) .

amBIdextrous
03-31-2005, 05:15 AM
I just got delogged for the 6th time in app.2 hours, it is affecting my enjoyment of the site.

imsnowman
03-31-2005, 08:26 AM
I just got delogged for the 6th time in app.2 hours, it is affecting my enjoyment of the site.

Right on! ALL of my other sites work just fine.

JustAskJulie
03-31-2005, 09:47 AM
I am working on it and trying to find the solution. It's no easy task, since there's no way to pinpoint what caused the problem in the first place.

JustAskJulie
03-31-2005, 10:21 AM
Ok, I've made some changes that SEEM to be helping me, but I need your help to find out for sure if this is fixed.

Please take a moment to exit this site, delete your cookies (you can delete just the cookie for this site by going to your My Documents/Cookies folder (or whatever folder your cookies are stored in) and looking for the one that has swingersboard in the name. Once you have deleted the cookie, re-open your browser and return to the site. Login and browse. Let me know if that helps and more importantly let me know if it doesn't.

LikeMinds321
03-31-2005, 10:41 AM
I had not been having any problems, or noticed any changes in using the site, until the past hour.

The upper bar that used to contain "Forums" and "Active Topics" drop down list are no longer showing up. I use these all the time. Where did they go? :confused:

Also notice that that bar is spread out more and extends considerably further to the right of the screen (out of view) than ever before.

LM

JustAskJulie
03-31-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm working on resetting those - basically I've been rebuilding templates from scratch since I woke up this morning - but if you have started having problems with the login issue then please do as the above

LikeMinds321
03-31-2005, 10:47 AM
Log-in is just fine and I'm not getting de-logged. All okay here.

I even deleted cookies just for the fun of it. ;)

Thanks for working so hard to help correct the problems for those who are having them.

LM

graygo98
03-31-2005, 10:49 AM
Based on five log-ins and log-outs, its working!

My problem had been that as soon as I clicked New Posts I would be logged out and have to log in again... then it would work ok. Now, when I log-in and click New Posts, nothing happens the first time, i.e., the screen just refreshes, but I am still logged in. Then, when I click NP again it works.

Thanks, Julie, I can imagine that this has been really frustrating for you .

JustAskJulie
03-31-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks, Julie, I can imagine that this has been really frustrating for you .

You have NO IDEA!! :eek:

LM - your links are back.... or on their way..

LikeMinds321
03-31-2005, 12:48 PM
LM - your links are back.... or on their way..That was fast. Thanks Julie.

Hey, I love that you took the "Log Out" off the bar an moved it right next to your User Name - great improvement and very convenient!

LM

imsnowman
03-31-2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the hard work. It appears you've fixed it. I've bounced all over the site and haven't been de-logged. Also, that old problem of getting a blank screen after clicking a new item link on the front page seems to be gone also. :kissface:

curiousagain
03-31-2005, 02:23 PM
oh great, I was just having problems staying logged in while posting or PMing. Now I am having problems when switching forums.head bang

I will delete the cookies and start over.

curiousagain
03-31-2005, 02:30 PM
Never mind

curiousagain
03-31-2005, 03:51 PM
OK, It's all working now. whew!!

JustAskJulie
03-31-2005, 04:55 PM
Now see CA, if you'd just follow instructions to begin with....LOL :)

curiousagain
03-31-2005, 05:04 PM
Instructions? I don't need no stinkin' instructions!!!
Real men don't need directions or instructions, didn't you know? :lol:

Real man test:

Aliens land and give you a device that will wipe out war and hunger. You, being a real man,

A. take it to the president
B. take it to the United Nations
C. Take it to a buddy's house and y'all take it apart to see how it works.

good times
03-31-2005, 05:07 PM
C, absolutely, the other options aren't even realistic choices, for a real man. :D

Spoomonkey
03-31-2005, 06:11 PM
Aliens land and give you a device that will wipe out war and hunger. You, being a real man

D. Patent it quickly and quietly - then market it and make a freaking mint. Hire all the kids I hated in high school to wipe my butt with their barehands - and then pinch each others raw nipples while I laugh...

Spoomonkey

Mr&Mrs-naughty
04-01-2005, 09:13 PM
I can't log out? :confused:

Everytime I try it asks me if I am sure, I click "ok" and then it tells me "all cookies are cleared". I close out & come back in but I am still logged????

I geuss I am having the opposite problem???

or am I missing something? :confused:

JustAskJulie
04-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Have you checked your cookie files to make sure they were actually cleared?

I've logged out without a problem, but I also know of at least one other report of this, from long before these issues - but they are on AOL - which I tend to blame for all the internet's ills.

Mr&Mrs-naughty
04-01-2005, 09:30 PM
No, I didn't ck my cookies. We aren't on AOL, can't stand it.

I'm on my way out the door, will have to do it later.....

Thanks Julie, I will let you know.

wetpanties
09-09-2005, 06:10 AM
The "PROBLEMS" with being logged off every time I move around this site are so annoying, I just don't bother logging in about 99% of the time. I usually just visit other sites. Obviously Swingers Board has no intention of fixing the problem.

BradAndJanet
09-09-2005, 10:32 AM
You know, I never seem to have a problem with either IE or Firefox on multiple machines from multiple locations and I suspect that most people don't either, or we'd have a flurry of messages about it. I understand your frustration, but there are many potential causes for the problem you're having, including some that could be on your end of things or in between the board and your computer. Have you tried a different computer, wetpanties?

-B

wetpanties
09-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Thanks for writing. To answer your question, yes we have tried other computers and we have the same problem. With the tremendous numbers of people reporting the same problem on this site who also report no problems on other sites, one would assume that the problem isn't with my computer. It's frustrating and to make things easier, we usually don't bother to log on.

BradAndJanet
09-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Spoo, curiousagain? You still having this problem, or did it fix itself?

-B

jennandjamesinm
09-09-2005, 12:42 PM
I have this problem on occasion, just enough to find it mildly annoying. I have done the delete cookies thing, etc, etc - still happens. But I figure I want to read the board, so I suck it up and log on when I start to run into that problem.........

Jenn

TNT
09-09-2005, 12:44 PM
We have it on one and not the other. The only real difference between the two is that XP on the one that has the problem is older and has been updated thru service pak 2,

Ted

LikeMinds321
09-09-2005, 12:53 PM
I have no problems. I am on here daily throughout the day.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

LM

graygo98
09-09-2005, 01:22 PM
I think that Brad is right. On my home system I never have a problem. On my office machine (not that I would ever be surfing for pleasure on company time) I usually have to log in initially and then re-log when I try to go to one of the forums. So, I think that while SB seems to be a bit more sensitive than other sites the problem is with the firewall and/or security settings on my office system.

good times
09-09-2005, 02:53 PM
I haven't experianced this problem either on any of our machines. I run Windows XP sp2 on my main and secondary machine and Windows 2000 on Mrs. GTs machine, these are all networked through the same Linksys router at my office. We run Win 98 on the home machine on a dial-up connection. We primarily use Firefox but haven't had a problem with IE either on the rare occasions we have tried it.

Knock on wood. :o

Spoomonkey
09-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Once I started using Firefox, the problem completely vanished. I don't thibk it is a board problem, but rather a computer issue - one that needs to be addressed by the users. Maybe we should post potential fixes as a sticky or in the FAQs...

I do not know if the problem would exist not on IE, but I have XP with SP2...

But only because I know this brilliant computer guy ;)

Spoomonkey

PS - no - I am NOT referring to myself.

two4youinswva
09-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Ok, I've always used Firefox on here and have never had a problem. :)

I just tried to enter the forums with IE on my old (7 yrs) laptop running Win98. I encountered the same problems that the others have mentioned.

So, I guess I'll stick with Firefox! ;)

BradAndJanet
09-09-2005, 05:42 PM
That's very interesting, two4youinswva.

I Googled a bit this afternoon to see if there are any known problems with vBulletin (the board software, which is widely used.) I didn't turn up much, but I'll keep looking.

I sort of wish this would happen to me so I could try to figure out what's going on. It's hard to diagnose a problem when you can't reproduce it yourself.

-B

Spoomonkey
09-09-2005, 05:46 PM
I sort of wish this would happen to me so I could try to figure out what's going on. It's hard to diagnose a problem when you can't reproduce it yourself.

That's why it is helpful to have a guy like me around. I have, single handedly, produced more computer problems than the rolling power outages of California and the Sober virus combined. I am a human wrecking machine!

This is why my wife and I have seperate computers...

Spoomonkey

PS - Maybe you should download more free porn, B. That's my secret ;)

two4youinswva
09-09-2005, 05:52 PM
When I have more time, I need to check my privacy settings for the IE browser. I think I have them set pretty strict, so that could have been the problem. Wish I'd have thought of that before trying it. :o

I'll relax the cookie settings tomorrow and try it again. We'll see if that makes a difference. :)

Spoomonkey
09-09-2005, 06:06 PM
I'll relax the cookie settings tomorrow

I relaxed the cookie settings once...

I just got fatter...

Just a friendly warning...

Spoomonkey

PS - Can anyone tell it's club night at Spoomonkey ranch?

good times
09-09-2005, 09:18 PM

Same here Brad, I had some time to kill while on the phone today and tried a number of things with IE to try and create the problem and couldn't make it happen either.

Have fun at the club Spoomonkey's.

two4youinswva
09-10-2005, 08:00 AM
I relaxed the cookie settings once...

I just got fatter...

Just a friendly warning...

Spoomonkey

:lol:
That was a good one :)

Ok, I changed my settings to "Accept all cookies, even the evil ones", and still had the issue with IE. :(
--This is IE 6.0 by the way.

Of course still no problems with Mozilla or Firefox. :)

I also feel like this is not a problem with the board software, but an individual machine issue.

I would really suggest to anyone having trouble to go to http://www.mozilla.org/ and download either the Firefox or Mozilla browser. It's free and both are excellent browsers. (I love the "tab" option on them!)

hfire269
09-10-2005, 11:21 PM
I got a new puter (hubby now has his own and so do I) when I set my puter up the first couple days I didnt have any issues with the site... But it didnt last long before I was logged out everytime I go to a different page. I didnt change anything. I dont know what it is.

wetpanties
09-16-2005, 05:33 PM
EVERY time I attempt to move around this site, I get logger out. This is the ONLY site that I have this problem with. I've reported it before with no positive results. I'm about to forget this site and not even log on at all anymore.

Spoomonkey
09-16-2005, 05:35 PM
I understand your frustration, but the truth is, this is a problem that only you can fix. I went through it (even started this thread) and was able to fix it, on my end. There is really nothing the board administrator can do. Fixes for the problem are posted throughout this thread. Have you tried them all?

Spoomonkey

JustAskJulie
09-16-2005, 06:53 PM
For those who are having problems, I apologize, but as Spoo has said, there's really nothing I can do beyond the guidance I've already given. It comes down to checking what your settings within your computer are. Most often it relates to firewall settings. Windows has its own built in firewall software now, that causes a lot of problems for many as they dont' even realize it is there.

Check for settings regarding ....

Cookies (make sure they are enabled)
Passing of referral information (this is one that Windows typically automatically disables but is needed). In order to log you in and keep you logged in, we have to know where you came from.

I have verified this with other forums using the same software and others do have the same issue.

imsnowman
09-16-2005, 08:30 PM
I don't use the Windows firewall. I use McAfee.

Passing of referral information (this is one that Windows typically automatically disables but is needed). In order to log you in and keep you logged in, we have to know where you came from. This is the first I've heard of "Passing of referral information" . How is it checked?

I have verified this with other forums using the same software and others do have the same issue. Well, since I don't have any problems with all of the other sites that I visit and their cookies maybe this software isn't so great.

What's so wierd about it is sometimes I'm logged in and sometimes not. That doesn't sound like a problem on my end since I haven't changed anything on my end since I gave up trying to "fix" the problem.

wetpanties
09-17-2005, 02:16 AM
You keep claiming that the problem is with both of my computers. This is the ONLY site I have a problem with and as you know, I'm not the only one with this same problem. I have check the firewall settings and the cookies are enabled.

wiscpl
09-17-2005, 08:23 AM
I thought it was a problem on my end untill i read this thread. I just tried logging in 5 times until i was successful. Even though the site stated each time with the welcome back to the site with my user name my colorscheme didn't show up therefore I knew I wasn't logged in. I'm using the same firewall I have been for years and nothing else has changed.

intuition897
09-19-2005, 05:16 PM
I've been having trouble with it too. One band-aid fix I've found is to click on the link to the SB main page (we have it on favorites...doesn't everybody?), and as soon as you see the navigation bar come up (userCP, swinger stories, new posts, quick links, etc) immediately click on userCP. Don't let the page finish loading. See if it works.

dave1234
09-19-2005, 08:21 PM
This must be a problem on the server end. I have never seen it before but it is very irritating!

I have a hardware firewall and it is there for a reason. I don't want to start opening up my security because this one board has a problem.

Appolgies for sounding pissy but it is frustrating.....

JustAskJulie
09-19-2005, 09:17 PM
If you'd like to spend some time researching the problem (I've spent plenty) please be my guest. Head on over to vbulletin.org (that would be the support forums for the software used here), you'll find the same info that I've found and reposted here.

If you can find the problem and tell me what it is on my end, I'll be happy to do everything I can to fix it. :)

imsnowman
09-19-2005, 09:51 PM
I've been having trouble with it too. One band-aid fix I've found is to click on the link to the SB main page (we have it on favorites...doesn't everybody?), and as soon as you see the navigation bar come up (userCP, swinger stories, new posts, quick links, etc) immediately click on userCP. Don't let the page finish loading. See if it works.

Only problem is you don't get a UserCP button unless you're logged in. :rolleyes:

jennandjamesinm
09-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Only problem is you don't get a UserCP button unless you're logged in. :rolleyes:

Then click on Forums real quick before the page loads....works for us 9 out of 10 times.....

Jenn and James

JustAskJulie
09-19-2005, 11:14 PM
You may find it best to bookmark the section of the site that you use most. If you typically use only the forums, then bookmark the forums rather than the main page of the site - same thing if you typically use the stories. Make sure you log into the section you use. While your login should be carried over from section to section, sometimes it's not. So the best way to avoid getting logged out between sections of the site is to log in where you plan to stay.

The problem that I run into here in trying to track down any issue is that this one issue encompasses several different problems, making it very hard for ME to track it and keep track of who is encountering what and when.

The main problems I have seen in regards to login/logout issues.

1. Those who can't stay logged in at all - you log in and are never actually logged in (this is definately a cookie issue on YOUR end).

2. Those who login click "remember me", leave and when they come back find they are logged out again (again a cookie problem)

3. Those who get logged out between areas of the site. You log in on the site homepage then go to the forums or the stories and find that you have to logout again. This is an annoyance but typically once you log back in you are fine. Of the three this is the ONLY one that may have any actual site cause, and it is just a matter of the "hacks" that are installed that allow the site to work as a whole unit rather than a mish-mash of pieces. That said, it is also no more than an annoyance (somethign that I have experienced at times).

So if you are experiencing problem #1 or #2, it's definately on your end. Follow the instructions provided in this this thread (http://www.swingersboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9737).

If you are experiencing Problem #3 - it's a free site, things aren't going to be perfect. Sometimes you get what you pay for. If you want to track down and install a fix for me, I'm all for it. If the small annoyance is too much for you and you feel you have to leave, I'm sorry to see you go. In the end, you end up dealing with some small annoyance at any free site, in most cases it's 10 popups for every one page you want to see. I've done my best to try to provide a quality site here that is free and that doesn't annoy you with tons of banners and popups. I would hope that having to log back in every once in a while would be less annoying that having to close 10 popups.