Guest Mr&Mrs-naughty

20/20 Special on Swinging

Guest Mr&Mrs-naughty

SLS is showing on their home page that they are doing a special with ABC's 20/20 to air 10PM(EST) November 12th. I wonder since SLS is involved if a more accurate portrayal of who swingers are will come to light. Or if ABC will spin it by searching out what negatives they can find and focusing on those as the norm?

It should be more interesting than anything else that will be on. We'll be sure to watch it. :lol:

DBL D

Guest Mr&Mrs-naughty

I also wonder why we have been getting so much TV coverage lately. Is it because people in general are becoming more accepting of swingers or maybe just curious or both?

But it does seem that we are getting a little more national attention as of late. Or is it just me? :confused:

It's the conservatives trying to get us out in the open and then ....WHAMMO! We're all finished! Surrender

Male D

I think everyone, no matter what your beliefs are, are always a little curious about sex. I think people in generall are becoming a little more comfortable with sex. TV is having a lot of coverage on sex period. Especially ABC it seems. They are doing a show this week about 10 sex myths. Last week they went under cover in a maximum security womens prison, & it seemed the one topic they wanted to t k about the most was sex in prison.

I also wonder why we have been getting so much TV coverage lately. Is it because people in general are becoming more accepting of swingers or maybe just curious or both?

But it does seem that we are getting a little more national attention as of late. Or is it just me? :confused:

I think you're right M & M! It would seem as if the lifestyle if being used in a lot more areas of the media, lately. I guess i hope that what they say about there being "no such thing as bad press", is true...don't you?

littlebit54

No one's really all that interested in swinging, conservative or otherwise. Its fall. Known in television circles as sweeps season. Whatever it takes to get ratings up...which usually includes sex. Especially "devient" sex, like swinging.

A & L

:)

I will say that whenever the subject happens to come up at work it's not in a positive way.

Male D

We have to agree with this one, about it being sweeps week. Although we have noticed over the years that TV does have some close bearing on current trends? Maybe it's tv playing to the current fad's (didn't we have a thread on that a bit ago?)

I wonder since SLS is involved if a more accurate portrayal of who swingers are will come to light. Or if ABC will spin it by searching out what negatives they can find and focusing on those as the norm?
Regardless of what the "spin" might be, the story will undoubtedly send a ton of traffic to the website. You can't buy that kind of publicity!

Guest Mr&Mrs-naughty

SLS's homepage now says the special will be postponed for a week or two because they say "20/20 wants this story to be great and to get it right, if that means working on it for another week or two, so be it. "

Dave here,

While I certainly hope this show might elaborate on the benefits to couples who swing, it still has me (as well as kat) a bit nervous.

Just yesterday while we were packing for our very soon trip to Iraq, one of my soldier's commented to me about swinging. (I guess they have some idea as to what we're into, it doesn't help we finally got a female soldier into the unit, and she knows us from the club and knows quite a few of our gay friends who try to hook us up).

Anyway, I turned and asked him what he meant by Swinging, and his reply was that I let some guy have sex with my wife.

I turned around and asked him what he thought swinging was, and he says swapping wives.

Maybe just maybe they will actually let people know what this is about?

Now if we can only get those that cast stones to turn off their X-Boxes and put HALO-2 away for an hour.....

There has never been positive press on swinging. I seriously doupt if 20/20 will start now, after all, ABC is owned by Disney. What then, mickey , minnie, donald and daisy all have a mfmf, lol :lol:

Remember the story about the senator (?) who was married to Jeri Ryan who played Seven-of-Nine on that TV space show? I think their news story about them attending a swing party got the ball rolling.

From there I think the crime shows (CSI etc.) used it as a great topic for upping ratings, then, as it usually happens, each network wants to copycat the other to stay on top of hot topics that bring in viewers.

I doubt 20/20 has any serious interest in researching swinging and bringing it into proper focus.

I believe the program will bring a rush of new members to the board who will be the worst kind of members - people who think swinging involves sex without thought, sex without guidelines, sex without consideration for others.

LM

Now I've watched a lot of talk shows and such in my life and they are always trying to bring up the latest and great wierdness in sex.

I remember when talk shows were trying to define bisexuality in women and they displayed it as this freak thing. Before that they were bringing on all these gay men that definitely couldn't represent the main population. Well all that got boring so they moved to crossdressers, then transexuals. Well Ru Paul is old news and they aren't shocked by all that anymore. Desensitized by the publicity. I think swinging is the latest and greatest shocking sex secret out there coming to light. They'll make us out to be all these freaky weird immoral people and once everyone is over the shock and become desensitized they'll move to something else.

Now I've watched a lot of talk shows and such in my life and they are always trying to bring up the latest and great wierdness in sex.

I remember when talk shows were trying to define bisexuality in women and they displayed it as this freak thing. Before that they were bringing on all these gay men that definitely couldn't represent the main population. Well all that got boring so they moved to crossdressers, then transexuals. Well Ru Paul is old news and they aren't shocked by all that anymore. Desensitized by the publicity. I think swinging is the latest and greatest shocking sex secret out there coming to light. They'll make us out to be all these freaky weird immoral people and once everyone is over the shock and become desensitized they'll move to something else.

Dead on the money with that AlilOEverything. Right now, it is titilating to the public because of all the news about swinging and everybody is wondering who is really in it. Those of you that don't think discretion is necessary, listen to the water cooler talk Monday. Just say something like, I was watching 20/20 and they had this thing about swinging. And listen to people's reaction. but, those that are being quiet about it, just wink at'm. LOL

Dead on the money with that AlilOEverything. Right now, it is titilating to the public because of all the news about swinging and everybody is wondering who is really in it. Those of you that don't think discretion is necessary, listen to the water cooler talk Monday. Just say something like, I was watching 20/20 and they had this thing about swinging. And listen to people's reaction. but, those that are being quiet about it, just wink at'm. LOL

Yeah, it's a good thing i don't belong to "the watercooler club" cause knowing how i am i'd porbably blurt out something stupid/dumb like, "Thank heavens i didn't have my pictures on there yet...lol"! Oops, that might get them thinking, without really knowing whether it's true or not!....lol :kissface:

Like your new quote btw!

littlebit54

I wonder that too. Are people more curious about it? Or do I just notice the references to it, now that we're partaking?

I know before we got into the lifestyle, lots of more subtle references to swinging went right over my head. As well as what I think may have been some offers ... darn! :lol:

I do think that there are a lot more shows featuring it as a plotline. Now that ... I would have noticed before, I'm sure of it.

SLS's homepage now says the special will be postponed for a week or two because they say "20/20 wants this story to be great and to get it right, if that means working on it for another week or two, so be it. "

Hmmm ... who do you think they've assigned to go "under cover?" ;):D

Just came from the SLS web site and it says it is confirmed that the show will air 11/12/04.

Teresa

Guest Mr&Mrs-naughty

Yup,

They are back to their original broadcast date. November 12th 10PM EST

My bf gets the weekly update newsletter thing from John Stossle regarding what his next show is about. This is from this week's email news:

My piece this week is on, of all things, "swinging," real life wife swapping. I was grossed out when 20/20 proposed I do this story, but then I learned that 4-million swingers in the United States make up a $1 billion vacation industry (be wary of code words like "clothing optional" and "couples only" if you book a family vacation). I discovered the "lifestyle," as they call it, is not as sleazy as I had thought, because it's all consensual -- done by couples with each other's permission. The swingers say what they do is not cheating, just "fun." "You are not looking for another wife," said one man. The women claim swapping is no threat to marriage, "People need desires fulfilled. But I'm going home with him no matter who I enjoy." Strange. We follow the swingers to their clubs and talk to marriage counselors about it.

Guest Mr&Mrs-naughty
From Julies quote:

My piece this week is on, of all things, "swinging," real life wife swapping. I was grossed out when 20/20 proposed I do this story...

I think that tells what we can expect from this piece.

Hopefully I am wrong.

The fact that feel the need to speak to marriage counsellors, speaks volumes. If they are unable to find loving couples that swing, then they are obviously not approaching this story with an open mind ...

Once again, the power of Main Stream Media.

Do I sound Jaded?? :D

Well, this will be fun.. Marriage counselors? We know we haven't needed one since we started, although we saw one before.... If our situation is anything around the norm, betcha the only things they'll be able to talk about is the couples who couldn't handle the lifestyle.

Unless of course they find a marriage counselor who swings?

It seems so many on SLS are freaking out!!! Blocking single males right and left. I have to laugh at that. They should block free members if anything. Anyone wanting to join just to look will be as a free member. If they think single/cheating males don't join as couples they are sadly naive and haven't had my experiences. It has soured me on internet swinging for a while. So many too are blaming it all on Bush's reelection. WTH does that have to do with it. One thing, it makes me see how irrational some of them are, maybe I need to start a list of people to never respond to!!

There has never been positive press on swinging. I seriously doupt if 20/20 will start now, after all, ABC is owned by Disney. What then, mickey , minnie, donald and daisy all have a mfmf, lol :lol:

Actually if any station were to give swinging a positive light it would be ABC. Some time ago does anyone remember when Disney World did some Gay Day thing? I know a ton of people that go to church that do not watch ABC b/c they do support gay's openly. ABC is a little more bold in everything they say & show on the air.

As for somehting someone said about the only reason why they are doing this show is b/c of sweeps. I did some reading on ABC & CBS, sweeps isn't until Feb. So they aren't doing this show during the biggest ratings time of the year.

It seems so many on SLS are freaking out!!! Blocking single males right and left. I have to laugh at that. They should block free members if anything. Anyone wanting to join just to look will be as a free member. If they think single/cheating males don't join as couples they are sadly naive and haven't had my experiences. It has soured me on internet swinging for a while. So many too are blaming it all on Bush's reelection. WTH does that have to do with it. One thing, it makes me see how irrational some of them are, maybe I need to start a list of people to never respond to!!

I have also noticed that people on SLS are changing their profiles, taking off pics and changing the wording a little. Well I am a free member (please don't block us) but I haven't changed anything...I guess maybe I just didn't put alot of info in my ad that might help anyone to identify us?

Man, I am glad I am not a part of the group that hangs out at the coffee machine at work anymore....I would hate to hear anyone say we were "gross" for being swingers. HMmmmmm yeah....a lil kinky, but not gross or dirty in anyway!

Without our pictures we aren't easily identified, our ages, user name, and info are fairly generic. I made all my pics private about a month or so ago.

When I had the pictures avaible I had the thinking of: They are here for the same thing. I didn't worry about it but then when I found out all they need to do is do a search with their zipcode on the main page and it brings up all the user names and main pic I was bothered by that. There is a setting that can be changed to not make it available to those who don't have a profile and do a regular search. If people have public pics and were worried the pics could get them recognized I would make it so you can't be searched without a profile. I know they can still make bogus profiles but I don't think as many will go to those lengths. But I think everyone will be at least a little curious to put in their zip code on the log in page just to see how many are in their area.

Some time ago does anyone remember when Disney World did some Gay Day thing?

I remember a few years ago when we took the kids down to Disney World it was during Gay week they were having there. It was the best time to go, it was still crowded but not nearly as crowded as it has been at other times I have been there, during that week the longest we waited in line for any ride was about 20 minutes.

As far as SLS, yep, big ruckus going on over there with members feeling like the webmaster is exposing them. People leaving the site, blocking their profile and/or pics. Basically in our opinion making a mountain out of a mole hill. Not saying that people are silly for their concerns, but like most things, this too will pass. Ted and I have not participated in the fourm dicussion over on that site, although we have read and discussed it between ourselves. He said that he had thought about whether or not to block our profile, then dismissed the thought. I never even thought about it. I feel there might be an influx of curious people who do a search for swinger sites, but the majority of people who see it won't give it a second thought, so exposure is not a major concern of ours.

Concerning the show its self...from what Julie posted I think that the reporter might actually give a good view of the lifestyle...he did state that he "learned" and "discovered", so to me those are good signs. Although I think he might focus more on the money aspect of swinging since he did mention a billion dollar vacation industry. The segment will only last about 8-10 minutes, not really long enough to give an accurate view in my opinion but we will just have to wait and see.

Something that we all need to think about is if we ever want the swinging lifestyle to become less of a taboo in society, someone has to step forward and get the ball rolling. I admire those who took the chance with coming forward and having anything to do with the 20/20 segment. I just hope it leans toward the positive for us all.

Now the question is which one of us will be the first to post what we thought once the show airs or will we all be on trying to post at the same time and clogging the system up?

Teresa :)

Now the question is which one of us will be the first to post what we thought once the show airs or will we all be on trying to post at the same time and clogging the system up?

Teresa :)

We will all be clogging up the system! LOL :lol:

lmao.. a little late for the things going on. Today is the 12th. This thing has been shot and the majority of the research was done at least if not more than a month ago. React now? If they choose to use your pic, well, the damage is done.

As far as a bunch of singles running in to join the site to find those freaks and see if they live near them, just make all your pics private. Then it's trying to figure out from what people say who they are.

Besides, the number of swinging webpages/forums/connection links out there are so many, if they simply focuesed on SLS they'd be already showing a lopsided view of the whole kit and kaboodle.

We'll see how things go.

Guest Mr&Mrs-naughty

We haven't noticed any change in anyones profile in our area on SLS. All those who have profiles with pics are still there. No Changes, no deletions.

As for somehting someone said about the only reason why they are doing this show is b/c of sweeps. I did some reading on ABC & CBS, sweeps isn't until Feb. So they aren't doing this show during the biggest ratings time of the year.

It may have changed, but I recal there used to always be a Nov and a Late Feb/March Sweeps.

I don't believe they can use anyone's profile without them knowing. I know Brian worked closely with the producers on this, as well as with VH1 on their recent swinging documentary to find them couples to talk to, etc. From what I understand the spokescouple from BayCouples is also going to be on, talking to John.

I don't really understand why people would be getting bent out of shape over this, this is the original post:

Watch Webmaster and MrsWebmaster Nov 12th on ABC, 10 PM (EST).

For your privacy, We avoided reference to this site, as much as possible.

We do not expect to receive much new traffic due to this story.

. So why are they so worried about the need to change their profiles. Oh no, people are going to find out about the site! That's a good thing, new people getting interested in swinging (just as we saw happen here with the VH1 documentary). These shows aren't out to advertise any particular sites or clubs and while they may show the website in passing (as they did on the VH1 thing) that will most likely be it.

Guest Mr&Mrs-naughty

I read the forum they have set up on SLS to discuss the 20/20 thing. It seems to be split pretty even betwenn those who think it is a bad idea, those who think it is a good idea and those who say it really doesn't matter to them.

We are part of the latter, It really doesn't matter if they show the site or not. But we are definately interested in watching the show!

We are going to a great house party to swing tonight. Maybe we will suggest the hosts turn on the tv so we can listen as we fuck each other.

From someone's earlier post, it was mentioned that John Stossel will be doing the swinger segment. I haven't seen him around for awhile, but I used to think he was excellent, so I hope he brings swinging into a fair light. He likes to get to the sources, so if he's talking to actual swinger folks, it may not be as biased as some of you fear. Let's hope so!

A delay?

We were looking forward to this. To make this a better show? Hummmmm...I really don't know about that excuse because they have had all of the material for weeks to edit. I think maybe ABC's higher ups are worried the FCC's rules and wanted to maybe tone it down for family viewing. How many cpls want their kids around when the show comes on? Take a few bible belt states to see this and ABC is going to pay the price. Oh well....we will see what happens to the final edit.

We are going to watch the show for sure, regardless. We hope the story is objective. This may be too mush to ask of the media, but so what?

We will continue doing what we enjoy in life and that means enjoyment of social and sexual intercourse outside of marital bounds and societal norms. The feature may also encourage others to come out of the closet.

:cool:

I went to 20/20's web site and the topic tomight is called "Wife Swapping" not Swinging. I think it's called this trying to leverage the TV show called "Wife Swapping" where the wives live in each others home for a period of time. It doesn't sound like it will portray a positive spin. :sad:

Yep, it got bumped.

The ABC website for 20/20 removed the "Swapping Wives" segment and inserted "Scott Petersen". I guess murder draws more viewers than sex.

I'd say it doesn't suck. That's the problem!

We have the first round in the state football championships tonight, anyway. We were going to record it, though.

Bah, Humbug!

Mr. Alura